As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]bearer

VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
torchbearer.jpg

Torchbearer is the latest roleplaying game from the folks at Burning Wheel HQ. If you've ever played D&D, you know what to expect. Kill Kobolds, collect loot, rinse repeat. Torchbearer is a little different. The game combines Beliefs, Instincts, and Goals for your character with hard rules for resource management to create drama. The game is lovingly referred to as a "misery simulator" since, rather than losing HPs, you accrue conditions: Hungry and Thirsty, Angry, Exhausted, Sick, Afraid, and Dead. You still kill Kobolds, you still collect loot (if it fits in your pack), and, if you can afford to pay your bills, you might even become a hero. But probably not.

The game uses a simple d6 dice pool system. When you roll, you count the number of success (success being a roll of 4+ on each die) and try to get more than your opponent or higher than the obstacle (DC in Torchbearer terms). Each time you roll the dice, you advance the turn clock. Torches and other light sources only last a certain number of turns, and you accrue a new condition every four turns. Before long, your character will be starving, down to their last few torches, but maybe you found some coins. Maybe you drove off some Kobolds. Either way, time to make camp and start over again. A few more trips to the Keep on the Borderlands and you'll head back to town to pawn off your loot.

You should play this game if you want a game focused on dungeon crawling.

You should play this game if you want a game where what YOUR character wants matters.

You should play this game if you want a challenge (it's a VERY hard game).

Basically, you should play this game.

Vanguard on

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Work made a grave error giving me access to like 20 pounds of candy
    I am literally quivering right now
    I AM ALL OVER ZIPPING TALKING 60 miles A MINUTE
    BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS
    YOU CANNOT STOP ME AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    SUGAR RUSSSSSHHHH
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    My cat is immune to spray bottles.

Usually, if you spray a cat when they are being bad, they will run off. OCCASIONALLY they might destroy the water bottle in the future (as my best friend's cat did), but USUALLY it gets the job done.

My cat, though? He just stands still and starts hissing and growling at me, then continues on about doing whatever he was doing that got him sprayed.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    At some point I need to get a hold of the burning wheel rules so read what all the hubub is about.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    My computer may or may not be back in my possession today after spending the last few days at a local place getting repaired after critical hard drive failure last Sunday. Times like these make you appreciate having a backup drive for your data, because all the stuff on the old one is pretty much toast.

488W936.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Usually, if you spray a cat when they are being bad, they will run off. OCCASIONALLY they might destroy the water bottle in the future (as my best friend's cat did), but USUALLY it gets the job done.

My cat, though? He just stands still and starts hissing and growling at me, then continues on about doing whatever he was doing that got him sprayed.

Mine runs away, only to come back later to finish what he started. He's big on the "lose the fight, win the war" mentality.

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    I'm supposed to get my hair dyed again on Sat. Wondering if I should do red again or go back to brunette. Or maybe brunette with highlights. Hmmm.

I'm pretty pale like my avatar but with some freckles.

Red annoys my mom and I'm going to go see her next week so it might be a good idea to go red again. Hrrrmmmm.

I know! Purple and pink streaks! Woo!

lol

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Blegh, I ask a friend out to coffee and she says yes. I ask her when she wants to go and she doesn't get back to me.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    If Leland Palmer were still around, he’d be dancing like a crazy person right now. There’s a new Twin Peaks box set coming out July 29, and it includes nearly 90 minutes of never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes from the prequel film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    New Trasformers movie has a robot with a beard who smokes a cigar

[img][/img]2db34o6.jpg

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    At some point I need to get a hold of the burning wheel rules so read what all the hubub is about.

ask and ye shall receive

http://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/free-pdfs/burning-wheel-gold-hub-and-spokes.html

all you need to play are the basic rules right here

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Oh Michael Bay, stop it.

Really stop it.

Stop.

Don't make me get the bottle!

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ChelleYeah wrote: »
    I'm supposed to get my hair dyed again on Sat. Wondering if I should do red again or go back to brunette. Or maybe brunette with highlights. Hmmm.

Red annoys my mom and I'm going to go see her next week so it might be a good idea to go red again. Hrrrmmmm.

lol

I REALLY want to dye my hair red, but all my friends say that color would look atrocious on me. :(

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    A robot cigar?

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular

lol

I REALLY want to dye my hair red, but all my friends say that color would look atrocious on me. :(
    there are lots of diff hues of red. i think most people should be able to find one that works.

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    #swolepatrol gains advice

If I want to get some minor gains in a simple basic fashion should I just eat all of the chickens?

Like I can easily eat 1lb of chicken in a meal but I usually don't because that shit gets expensive. But if that would actually b make for some good (lean) gains I will up my chicken intake.

I just don't wanna be doubling my chicken intake and getting fat or having nothing happen.

It seems like it would be good because it's like... no fat and shit tons of protein. But I don't know how this works. Maybe there is no simple answer or maybe I should just eat all the fatty fat foods until I gain the weight?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Why do so many people think ESO has a cash shop?

Its like one of the few modern MMOs I can think of that actually doesn't have one at all.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

Mine runs away, only to come back later to finish what he started. He's big on the "lose the fight, win the war" mentality.

Hahaha

I still love my memory of watching my friend's cat destroy the water bottle. It was high up on a rail. He jumped on top of it, looked at all of us to make sure we were watching, and then knocked it over onto the tile floor. And then he walked away in his casual "I AM A CAT" walk.

I loved that cat so much...

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »
    A robot cigar?

All Spark brand Cigars

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I am going to feel so fucking sick once this high crashes

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Blegh, I ask a friend out to coffee and she says yes. I ask her when she wants to go and she doesn't get back to me.

flaaaaake

• Options

lol

there are lots of diff hues of red. i think most people should be able to find one that works.

Yeah... I think a very dark red would work for me, honestly. My friend used to dye her hair like that, and she always looked awesome! (She still does, of course, but she doesn't dye her hair anymore)

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

If I want to get some minor gains in a simple basic fashion should I just eat all of the chickens?

Like I can easily eat 1lb of chicken in a meal but I usually don't because that shit gets expensive. But if that would actually b make for some good (lean) gains I will up my chicken intake.

I just don't wanna be doubling my chicken intake and getting fat or having nothing happen.

It seems like it would be good because it's like... no fat and shit tons of protein. But I don't know how this works. Maybe there is no simple answer or maybe I should just eat all the fatty fat foods until I gain the weight?
    The idea of a bulk is to eat lots of protein and calories without lots of fat so that pretty close to the mark.

Did you stall on one of your main lifts or something?

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Its like one of the few modern MMOs I can think of that actually doesn't have one at all.

Because when they introduced it, they called it a cash shop.

• Options

lol

purple is best always and forever

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Because of news articles like this before it came out.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

lol

purple is best always and forever

Casual: Secretly a Roman Emperor? That is also a dog?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

The idea of a bulk is to eat lots of protein and calories without lots of fat so that pretty close to the mark.

Did you stall on one of your main lifts or something?

I'm just a tiny babby man and I want to be less of a tiny babby man.

Not a lot mind you just a bit. I used to have a few extra lbs and I felt I looked much better. Just having trouble getting them back.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    But oh man, I've got everything for my new PC sitting on my desk except the RAM (which is on it's way to me still [fuckin' slow Newegg])

2527684-6175813837-ron-p.gif

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    il_570xN.369772052_hfam.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Wait, ESO doesn't have a cash shop?

There's been so many articles about ESO's cash shop that I'm surprised to find out that there isn't one.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

diddly diddly

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    But oh man, I've got everything for my new PC sitting on my desk except the RAM (which is on it's way to me still [fuckin' slow Newegg])

Welcome to the Master Race!

Where you can sit and look at your ridicilous steamlist and feel like nothing really interests you at the moment.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »

Welcome to the Master Race!

Where you can sit and look at your ridicilous steamlist and feel like nothing really interests you at the moment.

$1000 hearthstone machine

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    i cant wait for it to become more socially acceptable to have non natural hair colours

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

yeah that seems to be repeated a lot. I thought it had a cash shop too until you told me otherwise.

well I suppose it technically does have a "cash shop" but the only thing you can buy is the game itself or an upgrade from standard to collectors edition.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

What is their current state of orderliness?

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Now put the lime in the coconuts.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    New Trasformers movie has a robot with a beard who smokes a cigar

[img][/img]2db34o6.jpg

That had better be a Junkion.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Casual wrote: »
    i cant wait for it to become more socially acceptable to have non natural hair colours

@‌casual is fancy

tumblr_l9y4rjUB481qbwakso1_500.jpg

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.