As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] Rust Cohle is Lost in Space

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm not into just letting trailers get a pass because they're teasers or early or whatever. If you don't have a finished product to show, with the intent of the film, that's on your (the studios) head. You don't go to a job interview in surfer shorts and Ron Jon sleeveless shirt and then go "oh this isn't what I really am, brah."

Like with the Ant-Man "teaser" which was also bad (and this FF isn't a teaser either, it's a 90 second trailer), just putting something together should not be the end goal.

Look at it this way; I knew nothing about the FF movie outside of the cast before today. Wasn't really looking to dislike it, I actually want Fox to make a good movie to keep the rights so they're some competition in the superhero movie genre. Now they show that trailer, and I see things I don't like. That's not really on me, they chose to show us all that stuff as the first foot forward, they provided the tools for me to form that opinion on.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    For me its just that fox has put up two incompetent ff movies, and only put this out much like spiderman with sony, so they can keep the rights to it. Marvels first family deserves to return to Marvel not be locked up in some development hell with fox.

They've also been putting out the X-Men movies which have been occasionally actually pretty good.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    For me its just that fox has put up two incompetent ff movies, and only put this out much like spiderman with sony, so they can keep the rights to it. Marvels first family deserves to return to Marvel not be locked up in some development hell with fox.

They've also been putting out the X-Men movies which have been occasionally actually pretty good.

Different group though, and even then I'd like xmen to go back to marvel as well. I think its garbage that the IP originator is not allowed to make movies with their own characters, however hilarious it is that it happened to marvel after they've fucked over their own artists for years.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i had no interest in the FF movie before that trailer, now i have "mild" interest. Future trailers may detract or add to my interest.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Anyway, I don't get the negativity. Nothing looks obviously bad like the last 2 FF movies, it can't be worse then them, the director can do good superhero stuff (see - Chronicle), the actors are all good afaik and the trailer looks good from what very little it shows so, yeah, why so down?
    There's been 2 goddamn FF movies???

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Anyway, I don't get the negativity. Nothing looks obviously bad like the last 2 FF movies, it can't be worse then them, the director can do good superhero stuff (see - Chronicle), the actors are all good afaik and the trailer looks good from what very little it shows so, yeah, why so down?

Three, actually.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    At least in John Wick I could look past the facial hair as grieving, what the hell is the excuse in this movie? Damn Keanu!

This is a stealth prequel to John Wick, where two lady assassins go to kill John and man I know I'm stretching I just want more John Wick.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    At least in John Wick I could look past the facial hair as grieving, what the hell is the excuse in this movie? Damn Keanu!

This is a stealth prequel to John Wick, where two lady assassins go to kill John and man I know I'm stretching I just want more John Wick.

Well it explains the sex, John Wick only had the one thing available and he used it well.

Death by dong needs to make a comeback, like that one blackspoitation movie that had the black dude use his schlong to choke out his white oppressor.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Well it explains the sex, John Wick only had the one thing available and he used it well.

Death by dong needs to make a comeback, like that one blackspoitation movie that had the black dude use his schlong to choke out his white oppressor.

Wick broke both their pelvises. Pelvi?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

This worries me more than the trailer frankly.

Doing a dark FF seems perfectly fine, especially for their origin story, where they have had established lives and now can't every go back to the way things were. You can present the story so that it moves from normalcy to existential horror to acceptance, kind of like a coming of age movie. We don't even need them to succeed in the end just accept that they're superhero scientists now. Doom can defeat them and fuck off the latveria and the FF can say "well we did what was right and we're going to keep doing it".

That being said I almost like the fact Marvel doesn't have the rights. They did a good job with the avengers but at some point you can't keep adding Heros to the same world, you just have to accept that they're different stories and that Thor and the fantastic 4 don't exist in the same continuity.

Part of that is because too many main characters breaks movies but similarly too many villains. All of a sudden we need explanations for why x and y aren't helping. And the answer is never satisfying; either it implies the threat wasn't big enough, or the outcome not in question, or that something else more interesting is going on elsewhere.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Is this the movie where Dr Doom is a "hacker"?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I thought he was a blogger.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

That's even worse

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    "You will rue the day you crossed Victor Von Doom. Please like, subscribe and share this post if you agree."

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'm not into just letting trailers get a pass because they're teasers or early or whatever. If you don't have a finished product to show, with the intent of the film, that's on your (the studios) head. You don't go to a job interview in surfer shorts and Ron Jon sleeveless shirt and then go "oh this isn't what I really am, brah."

Like with the Ant-Man "teaser" which was also bad (and this FF isn't a teaser either, it's a 90 second trailer), just putting something together should not be the end goal.

Look at it this way; I knew nothing about the FF movie outside of the cast before today. Wasn't really looking to dislike it, I actually want Fox to make a good movie to keep the rights so they're some competition in the superhero movie genre. Now they show that trailer, and I see things I don't like. That's not really on me, they chose to show us all that stuff as the first foot forward, they provided the tools for me to form that opinion on.

But this is not what you are doing. You are inferring things from the trailer based on nothing. You said, for instance, it was "ashamed of showing powers". No, the CGI just isn't done.

Like, if you wanna say this trailer is crap, sure. But you are saying you see things in the trailer that you don't like when it reality you are just seeing what you want to see into the trailer.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's not von Doom, it's Domashev. Doom is just his screen name.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm posting this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf045VYP3z4

Holy shit.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

But this is not what you are doing. You are inferring things from the trailer based on nothing. You said, for instance, it was "ashamed of showing powers". No, the CGI just isn't done.

Like, if you wanna say this trailer is crap, sure. But you are saying you see things in the trailer that you don't like when it reality you are just seeing what you want to see into the trailer.

If the CGI isn't done, don't show that scene then. Or delay the trailer. I don't know how it becomes the viewer's onus to understand outside factors about a trailer. Inferring is a natural response to trailers in a hope it makes the audience want to pay to see more, and there it's simply a difference of we see in the film.

Compared to other trailers, even Ant-Man, they make sure to show you what's being used, from X-Men powers to Superman squatting and flying away or Iron Man blowing up a tank with a small missile.

• Options
    Yeah I do tire of tent pole special effects explosion movies releasing a trailer even a teaser that doesn't have their effects done. That's just dumb. It's like when games release trailers years before they finish the game and then cause people to be angry with a rushed shitty product that doesn't live up to the trailer...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2015

If the CGI isn't done, don't show that scene then. Or delay the trailer. I don't know how it becomes the viewer's onus to understand outside factors about a trailer. Inferring is a natural response to trailers in a hope it makes the audience want to pay to see more, and there it's simply a difference of we see in the film.

Compared to other trailers, even Ant-Man, they make sure to show you what's being used, from X-Men powers to Superman squatting and flying away or Iron Man blowing up a tank with a small missile.

Ant-Man trailer doesn't show shit either. And they didn't show the scene in the FF trailer. That's what you complained about.

I don't think it's on the viewer to understand why there's little CGI in the trailer, but I think it's on the viewer to not be goddamn silly about their reaction too. I think it's absolutely silly to pretend from the first trailer that the movie is ashamed of it's super-powers. Or that it's going to be grimdark or something.

Or really, that the trailer necessarily tells you much about the finished product. It's not like the director makes them.

shryke on
  • Options
    Yeah I do tire of tent pole special effects explosion movies releasing a trailer even a teaser that doesn't have their effects done. That's just dumb. It's like when games release trailers years before they finish the game and then cause people to be angry with a rushed shitty product that doesn't live up to the trailer...

Agreed. Ant-Man trailer felt overly rushed and thus underwhelming too.

At the same time, considering this is movie number 3 in less then 10 years, I don't think the trailer has any obligation to establish what the FF can do.

• Options
    I completely agree with ant man as well, then again the second tier avengers are all pretty meh to me. So its like "Hooray a movie for a character I only know for one trait of a previous dude played by a guy I only find funny in small doses."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I completely agree with ant man as well, then again the second tier avengers are all pretty meh to me. So its like "Hooray a movie for a character I only know for one trait of a previous dude played by a guy I only find funny in small doses."

I don't know anything about Ant-Man. And I imagine I'm pretty common in that respect.

The problem with the Ant-Man trailer is that it doesn't do anything for someone who doesn't know anything about Ant-Man.

• Options
    That must be it for me. I dunno I didn't know a whole lot about Thor either but the original trailer at least was like "Yeah give me some thor!" Same with Iron man didn't know a whole lot about him, but it delivers everything a trailer should deliver and makes you go "When's that shit coming out?"

http://youtu.be/bK_Y5LjSJ-Y

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, the Iron Man trailer is a solid example of good work. They show you the type of character he is, they lay out at least the sketch of his basic origin/conflict and they show you the kick-ass things he can do. And they do it to a fun soundtrack that establishes the tone of the movie.

And then you get Iron Man 2 trailer and they already assume you know what's up so they start establishing a bit of the new elements and their powers and push a "now there's a new danger". And IM3 trailer pushes that even further. More sombre, more dark.

Cause you've already established the character and the power in the last movie so now you go for establishing the drama of the conflict.

• Options
    And that's the way all trailers should be, don't show me a trailer for a movie if that trailer can't tell a good story.

I mean I remember the John Wick trailer came out like a month before the actual movie did, and that too had a great trailer that told you everything you needed to know.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »

Three, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
  • Options
    Well I'm glad that my mockery of a russian accent is apparently all you need to be russian in hollywood.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Get it on dvd and watch it with the Russian dub.

Other than that it could be a very interesting movie.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i think i just saw gary oldman playing a train!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Technically that was the second Iron Man trailer, here's the original teaser trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMO9_FGeZgU

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Looks good aside from Gary Oldman obviously being the bad guy.

Bubby on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Looks good aside from Gary Oldman obviously being the bad guy.

he's not. the guy in the hat who looks like paddy considine is probably the bad guy.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I dunno. I thought the FF trailer showed a lot of quality, and I agree with Shryke that Fox probably doesn't need to worry about establishing what the FF is all about at this point. If anything, they need to establish that this new series isn't going to be the craptacular cheesefest they let it be under Tim Story's tepid direction, and I think the Christopher Nolan-aping aesthetic and long wide-angle shots go a long way in pointing out that Fox is taking a more mature tack with the material, which honestly I appreciate. It could be "grimdark," is suppose, but I didn't particularly find Days of Future Past to be all that pointlessly grim, so I don't have real good reason to wail and gnash my teeth unless I just want to -- which I don't.

Let's show some cautious optimism, people.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    whoops wrong thread

Atomika on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    @Atomika wrong thread

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    At least it's on topic.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Is this the movie where Dr Doom is a "hacker"?

Both are true!

http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/
    KEBBELL: He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m “Doom”.

• Options
    Doom's start of darkness is losing ten bucks after being banned from Something Awful.

This discussion has been closed.