As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Big Ol Godzilla Thread: In Ur Forumz, Eatin All Ur Godzilla Posts [SPOILERS!]

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited May 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey hey hey!

This is the Godzilla thread, created because the discussion in the movie thread has grown to about 300m in size and is vaoprizing all other discussion with its atomic breath.

Godzilla-2014-Roar.jpg

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNK*

*trans: "NNNNGGYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Warning: This thread contains spoilers like whoa.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Godzilla was great. Not what I was expecting based on the trailers, but still an enjoyable film.

My only major complaint is that the wife character didn't add anything to the story.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I believe the proper parlance is 'SKREEONK' but I'm hardly fluent in the language.

I fucking loved the movie because I got a big budget movie in 2014 that showed a towering, badass Godzilla knocking the shit out of some monsters. This movie was gorgeous.

I grew up on Godzilla and I didn't need an A+ out of this movie, I just needed something above a C. The B/B+ grades that are floating around feel about right (good, but not perfect) and if you grade it on the scale of "as a Godzilla movie" it probably creeps up another notch.

It's not without flaws. The restraint in holding off on the monster battles until the latter parts was admirable, but probably a smidge overdone. The teasing of a monster fight before cutting away was used once too often. The human elements were OK, but nothing better. Some of the logic is movie logic, but that's the price of admission for a movie about 350ft tall monsters that feed on radiation.

I wasn't expecting a Dark Knight caliber movie (collective social orgasm). I'm perfectly fine with a Batman Begins (oh shit, this new take on Batman's pretty good). Between Pacific Rim and Godzilla, monster movies might actually be back in style, which is exciting given the possibilities of current tech. This is a genre that could really make an IMAX ticket feel like a bargain.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Bobble wrote: »
    I believe the proper parlance is 'SKREEONK' but I'm hardly fluent in the language.

There, I fixed it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    @ElJeffe what is the advise on spoilers vs. not in this thread, and should it be address in the OP?

What is this I don't even.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    95% of the discussion is probably going to involve people who've seen the movie either way, so let's just make it a spoiler-filled free for all.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, what I was saying in the other thread:

The metabolism of the monsters is part of what makes it impossible to make sense of Godzilla hunting the MUTOs. He's called an apex predator, but he doesn't appear to be a predator. It's completely non-sensical.

Additionally, the MUTOs are initially described as parasites when they're first found inside the corpse of something else. That didn't really ever get addressed.

Granted, I don't care. From the context of, "What did I need from my Godzilla movie?" all I needed was for the movie to start at the HALO jump and end when Godzilla falls over. The rest of it was time wasted on a terrible plot.

What is this I don't even.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I just don't understand the mindset that you need to restrain yourself showing Godzilla. Except if you want the tone to be overly *serious* and really do something deep?

You know what complaint I NEVER had when watching giant monsters beating the shit out of each other?

There were too many scenes of monsters bashing each other.

Godzilla: Final Wars is one of my favourite Godzilla movies and that was basically 120 minutes of EVERYTHING beating the shit out of each other and I didn't get tired of it.

So, yeah. Can someone explain to me what is the point of holding off the monster action?

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Nice.

I think the movie itself overestimated the strength of the human plot, since the film thought it could get away with the teasers, which were brilliant in and of themselves. While the human plot was servicable, a notable black hole was left after Cranston died, especially since he an Watanabe didn't interact at all(I WANTED A KAIJU NERD-OFF GODDAMMIT). Kick-Ass wasn't a terrible lead, but he is no Walter White. Switch who dies and this movie would be Pacific Rim/Avenger's status for me. As it stands, it's JUST a notch below. Which isn't a bad place to be in an of itself.

Also, I do have one last problem, and if I didn't love the last 20 minutes or so so much, it would have broken the movie for me.

HOW IN GOD'S NAME DID THE FEMALE GET PREGNANT.

And it's kind of a big deal, since the entire movie's premise falls apart without explaining this. But I forgive it because DID YOU SEE THAT BREATH GUYS OMG.

Transporter on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Godzilla doesn't really need spoiler warnings anyways.

It's Godzilla what's there to spoil? What city gets smashed?

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This is a flawed movie that exceeds the sum of its parts through superior camerawork, production and direction. It is a solid B grade. It does the job and stands out in some places, but there's room for improvement.

Having recently seen Godzilla 98 again, it astounded me how bad it was at building up or maintaining anything approaching momentum. The reveal? Too early. The middle? Super flabby, goes nowhere. The climax? What climax? It blew its load early and never did anything afterwards.

What makes me most happy about Godzilla 2014 is that I didn't think Hollywood was actually capable of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla was an honest to god character and not just a dinosaur that destroys things. When the general audience ignored Pacific Rim last year, I was worried that Godzilla 2014 would fall into the same traps as 98 and become some bog-standard disaster movie. Thankfully, we didn't get that. We got a movie that was serious about the concept of Godzilla, and it's making money in America.. I mean, goddamn, who saw the $93,000,000 opening weekend coming? The possibilities this opens up are wonderful.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    This is a flawed movie that exceeds the sum of its parts through superior camerawork, production and direction. It is a solid B grade. It does the job and stands out in some places, but there's room for improvement.

Having recently seen Godzilla 98 again, it astounded me how bad it was at building up or maintaining anything approaching momentum. The reveal? Too early. The middle? Super flabby, goes nowhere. The climax? What climax? It blew its load early and never did anything afterwards.

What makes me most happy about Godzilla 2014 is that I didn't think Hollywood was actually capable of a Godzilla movie where Godzilla was an honest to god character and not just a dinosaur that destroys things. When the general audience ignored Pacific Rim last year, I was worried that Godzilla 2014 would fall into the same traps as 98 and become some bog-standard disaster movie. Thankfully, we didn't get that. We got a movie that was serious about the concept of Godzilla, and it's making money in America.. I mean, goddamn, who saw the $93,000,000 opening weekend coming? The possibilities this opens up are wonderful.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/19/surprise-godzilla-2-is-happening

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Wasn't everything I'd hoped it would be, but I'm glad that it's doing gangbusters and apparently a sequel has been greenlit already. I definitely want to see more Godzilla movies.

I hope they don't shy away from alien or magical kaiju in the future, or bringing back classic ones in new incarnations.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I went in with no expectations whatsoever and, as such, came out quite happy with the movie. I do agree that the human bits could be skipped and to just put more monster fights in.

Especially Godzilla's kill shots. Holy crap were the kills good. Just give me 2 hours of Godzilla killing random monster and roaring triumphantly and I'll watch it over and over again.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, what I was saying in the other thread:

The metabolism of the monsters is part of what makes it impossible to make sense of Godzilla hunting the MUTOs. He's called an apex predator, but he doesn't appear to be a predator. It's completely non-sensical.

Additionally, the MUTOs are initially described as parasites when they're first found inside the corpse of something else. That didn't really ever get addressed.

Granted, I don't care. From the context of, "What did I need from my Godzilla movie?" all I needed was for the movie to start at the HALO jump and end when Godzilla falls over. The rest of it was time wasted on a terrible plot.

IMO it works best if you just assume that Godzilla was just defending territory. He wasn't going after the Mutos to feed.

Come to think of it, they never really come out and say that Godzilla feeds the same way anyway. The assumption is made because he destroyed a nuclear submarine when he first appeared and he was pretty content sitting around near bikini atoll during and after all the nuke tests.

I thought the parasite descriptor was fine if looking at them like a parasitic wasp...they just treated that one warhead like it was some kind of dead/stunned/paralyzed prey creature that she laid her eggs on.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nice.

I think the movie itself overestimated the strength of the human plot, since the film thought it could get away with the teasers, which were brilliant in and of themselves. While the human plot was servicable, a notable black hole was left after Cranston died, especially since he an Watanabe didn't interact at all(I WANTED A KAIJU NERD-OFF GODDAMMIT). Kick-Ass wasn't a terrible lead, but he is no Walter White. Switch who dies and this movie would be Pacific Rim/Avenger's status for me. As it stands, it's JUST a notch below. Which isn't a bad place to be in an off itself.

Also, I do have one last problem, and if I didn't love the last 20 minutes or so so much, it would have broken the movie for me.

And it's kind of a big deal, since the entire movie's premise falls apart without explaining this. But I forgive it because DID YOU SEE THAT BREATH GUYS OMG.

Insect "sex" isn't like what we consider sex (in fact, some insects like aphids are born "pregnant".) We see that her egg sac is fully loaded during the trestle scene, so all it took was a quick fertilization by the male, and she was ready to go.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    So, yeah. Can someone explain to me what is the point of holding off the monster action?

It's crazy expensive?

I figure that's the reason we didn't get more monster vs. army action - instead we had an EMP neutering them for the entire film (even though if anyone's got tech that's EMP-shielded its going to be the military). I guess it's just too expensive when you're also doing city destruction and giant monsters.

I wonder if it could've worked with less realistic monsters in exchange for more action.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Nice.

I think the movie itself overestimated the strength of the human plot, since the film thought it could get away with the teasers, which were brilliant in and of themselves. While the human plot was servicable, a notable black hole was left after Cranston died, especially since he an Watanabe didn't interact at all(I WANTED A KAIJU NERD-OFF GODDAMMIT). Kick-Ass wasn't a terrible lead, but he is no Walter White. Switch who dies and this movie would be Pacific Rim/Avenger's status for me. As it stands, it's JUST a notch below. Which isn't a bad place to be in an off itself.

Insect "sex" isn't like what we consider sex (in fact, some insects like aphids are born "pregnant".) We see that her egg sac is fully loaded during the trestle scene, so all it took was a quick fertilization by the male, and she was ready to go.

Oh thank God yes this makes sense.

• frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hey hey hey!

This is the Godzilla thread, created because the discussion in the movie thread has grown to about 300m in size and is vaoprizing all other discussion with its atomic breath.

Godzilla-2014-Roar.jpg

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNK*

*trans: "NNNNGGYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Warning: This thread contains spoilers like whoa.

Can you really spoil Godzilla? I mean if you can't figure out what the movie is about by the title you're probably not the type to watch it.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Awesome'd for the effort and scope of your post, but I do disagree with the quoted section here. If Godzilla is a superhero in this film, he's a very poor one--remember everyone ranting about Superman's destructive fights in Man of Steel? Godzilla's battles here do vastly more harm than Superman's ever did.

On the contrary, most everyone seems to be united in the opinion that Godzilla did far less collateral damage than Supes, and absolutely less intentional damage.

Godzilla showing up to put down the Mutos for some reason known only to him is the most consistent interpretation of what we see. He doesn't eat them. The areas they are messing around in are not his territory, considering he hasn't made land fall in centuries if not longer. It's like he was literally vegging out on his couch at the bottom of the Mariana Trench when he heard the Muto mating call and was like "Oh shit, gotta save humanity from being over run by giant bugs!"

Don't you get it, the world is his territory. It's that simple. That's his motivation. And it's consistent.
    sleep->shit to kill wakes him up->kill shit->sleep

There's a loophole about why he was running around in the 50's, maybe there was one in the water he was fighting, and the japan bombings woke up some. but meh.

That's stupid. Animals don't have territory larger than they regularly use. It would provide no competitive advantage, and would in fact be a liability as they kept getting into unnecessary fights.

It would also mean that Godzilla's species could only have one member at a time, or that it would have wiped out all over animals like the Mutos, both of which are dumb and make how this supposed pre-historic ecosystem worked completely nonsensical.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.

Maybe they're like salmon. The female lays the eggs, then the male flies in and crop-dusts 'em.

H9f4bVe.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

They did it in the dust storm.

I thought the presentation of the MUTOs was brilliant. They were very believable in terms of being instinct-driven animals.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They did it in the dust storm.

That was the dust storm...

implications... unpleasant.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I remember someone had talked about Godzilla in a previous thread saying they had seen an early cut and the MUTO's actually had to lay eggs in a Godzilla to reproduce effectively. This would make sense with the sac being found inside a dead Godzilla-esque monster at the beginning of the film.

I wonder if they edited it out differently and retooled the ending because it was too silly/confusing? It would ahve at least given the Monarch duo more stuff to talk about instead of just gawking about like they did for most of the film.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    The MUTO's biology was the most accurate and believable part of the film, if you ignore what Ken Watanabe said about them being "parasites".

Just because the female lays her egg near a food source, doesn't mean they are parasites! Just because the eggs were found on some old bones, doesn't mean they are parasites!

Also, the correct terminology for an organism that feeds on AND KILLS it's host during feeding (as opposed to it dying secondarily) is a parasitoid not a parasite.

If they were going for "MUTO laid eggs in ancient kaiju, and then the babies fed on them in the style of a wasp" then that is a parasitoid. It is an important biological difference!

I could watch the nuptial gift scene with them forever, it was so adorable!

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    As someone who has been watching one of his fish absolutely destroy all of the plants in the tank to build a nest for the females to lay their eggs in, I was definitely all "Yep, that's about right" as the MUTOs wrecked the city to build the nest.

As someone who has been watching one of his fish absolutely destroy all of the plants in the tank to build a nest for the females to lay their eggs in, I was definitely all "Yep, that's about right" as the MUTOs wrecked the city to build the nest.

Golden Yak wrote: »

Maybe they're like salmon. The female lays the eggs, then the male flies in and crop-dusts 'em.

Also a lot of insects will have the female develop her eggs pretty far, and have the male fertilize them later.

Plus maybe she's haplo-diploid: if her eggs are unfertilized they produce males, but fertile eggs produce females.

As I said in my post in the Movies thread- the entire ecology they were going for actually makes sense and is interesting if you just ignore everything Ken Watanabe ever says in the movie.

TehSpectre wrote: »
    I remember someone had talked about Godzilla in a previous thread saying they had seen an early cut and the MUTO's actually had to lay eggs in a Godzilla to reproduce effectively. This would make sense with the sac being found inside a dead Godzilla-esque monster at the beginning of the film.

I wonder if they edited it out differently and retooled the ending because it was too silly/confusing? It would ahve at least given the Monarch duo more stuff to talk about instead of just gawking about like they did for most of the film.

I could see their life cycle being akin to a guinea worm's.

There needs to be a nature documentary - the World of Kaiju.

H9f4bVe.png
    Arch wrote: »
    As I said in my post in the Movies thread- the entire ecology they were going for actually makes sense and is interesting if you just ignore everything Ken Watanabe ever says in the movie.

I would say that his character is working on partial information, so a lot of what he's saying is educated guesswork.

How educated - that's up to the viewer.

Arch wrote: »

I would say that his character is working on partial information, so a lot of what he's saying is educated guesswork.

How educated - that's up to the viewer.

Where did he get his science degree- the university of barely-supported hypotheses?

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...Did they fix the problem where Godzilla gets shot by missiles and freakin' dies this time around?

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...Did they fix the problem where Godzilla gets shot by missiles and freakin' dies this time around?

Yes

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

In this movie, Godzilla is shot by missiles and thinks it might be a bit breezy.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies