As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread of Spoilers of a Series of a Song of Ice & Fire (Thread is dark & full of grues)

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Rule of Acquisition number 35: Peace is good for business

Depends on what industry you're in.

Rule of Acquisition number 34: War is good for business

Thorn413 on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Oh Robot Santa, you're such a card.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    To put the whole "countdown" thing to bed, per GRRM's LiveJournal:
    The Gurm wrote:
    It seems I need to clarify once more.

I am NOT on Twitter. I am NOT on Facebook. The only place I post myself, in my own words, is here on Live Journal.

I do have an official Twitter account, and an official Facebook account. I established these in self-defense, because there were fake accounts out there, where people pretending to be me were making various spurious pronouncements... pronouncements that would then get picked up all over the internet and repeated as if they were gospel.

The official Twitter and Facebook accounts are maintained for me by my minions and my publishers. I don't post there myself. I don't even read them or check comments. I have other stuff to do. LOTS of other stuff.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, Raya came to me and said the folks at Random House wanted to do a special promotion on Twitter, a "Twelve Days of Christmas" with a Westerosi twist. Did they have the green light? It sounded fun, and funny, so I said sure, and thought no more of it. It was just a little Christmas celebration.

But then, somehow, from somewhere, the rumor arose that the "12 Days" were actually a countdown... not to Xmas, but to the publication of THE WINDS OF WINTER, or the announcement of its completion and/ or pub date.

Sorry. Not true. Look, I've said before, and I will say again, I don't play games with news about the books. I know how many people are waiting, how long they have been waiting, how anxious they are. I am still working on WINDS. When it's done, I will announce it here. There won't be any clues to decipher, any codes or hidden meanings, the announcement will be straightforward and to the point. I won't time it to coincide with Xmas or Valentine's Day or Lincoln's Birthday, the book will not rise from the dead with Jesus on Easter Sunday. When it is done, I will say that's it is done, on whatever day I happen to finish.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I had not heard of his LiveJournal but I'm glad I have now. GRRM is a most melodramatic (American) football fan.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I had not heard of his LiveJournal but I'm glad I have now. GRRM is a most melodramatic (American) football fan.

Honestly, for an American talking about football? That's downright rational.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The best part is, he hates Bill Belichick. Like, he calls him "Evil Little Bill" all the time.

Per Reddit (ADwD SPOILER ALERT):
    Tyrion wrote:
    The galley was also where the ship's books were kept... the fourth and final volume of The Life of the Triarch Belicho, a famous Volantene patriot whose unbroken succession of conquests and triumphs ended rather abruptly when he was eaten by giants.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The big reveal will be the release of "The Breezes of Summer: A Wildcards Anthology."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Rule of Acquisition number 35: Peace is good for business

Depends on what industry you're in.

IIRC Rule 34 is: War is good for business

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Rule 34 is something else.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Rule 34 is something else.

Which can also be good for business.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

For a Jets fan he sounds downright optimistic.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Continuing my way through A World of Ice and Fire.

I think that ADWD came out around when they started doing Iron Islands.

None of the repeated jargon through most of the book so far, and then all of a sudden multiple "many and more," "little and less," and "leal." I'm assuming those will be sticking around.

Also, some of the rivers in the maps are bugging me far more than I feel they should. The Blue Fork of the Triden is shown as connecting to Ironman's Bay, making it a strait, which it's totally not. Similarly, there's a river marked on one of the Iron Islands which would also be a Strait (which it could be, but the coloring doesn't match). It's nitpicky, but it's something I read from another author about how maps in a lot of fantasy books bother him because people don't pay attention to where rivers would actually flow based off of the geography, and now I can't help but notice it.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Dragons did it.

Whenever something doesn't make sense, a dragon did it.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    If you look to English history between 1066 and 1400, you can see (in my opinion) three times in which primogeniture broke down.

Edward the Confessor left behind no children, and completely bobbled succession, resulting in a three-way war for England between Harold Godwinson, Harald Hardrada, and William the Bastard.
    Henry I's son died in the White Ship tragedy, leaving his daughter Matilda has his heir; Stephen of Blois pressed his claim as the senior male pretender to the throne, and the result was the Anarchy.
    Henry II (son of Matilda) had severe issues with his sons and his wife; ruling over vast territories, too vast to be "eldest takes all," all of Henry's sons wanted their cut.

After 1400, you start getting into the territory of the War of the Roses, which eventually culminated in Henry Tudor taking the throne with an absolutely ridiculously weak claim to the throne. Honestly, Doran Martell's claim to the Iron Throne is a couple of orders of magnitude stronger than Henry VII's claim to England was.

With that said, agnatic-cognatic primogeniture appears to be the standard, legally recognized means of succession in Westeros (with Dorne following absolute-cognatic primogeniture, and the Iron Islands apparently being an agnatic elective outlier), for the same reason it was in English history: when the standard order of succession broke down, shit got real. People therefore had a vested interest in following standard lines of succession. As long as transitions were orderly and peaceful, you were more likely to be able to oppress peasants at your leisure, rather than dying on a muddy field with a lot of arrows stuck in you.

As noted above by AMFE, the major surviving claimants are people with competing claims. It's not so different from Matilda and Stephen's situation. It doesn't mean people are ignoring primogeniture, it means that they're having an argument about who is the rightful ruler under that system. Even with Renly, while he hand-waved away the problems people would have with him pressing his claim, it was something that people were bringing up.

Aaaaand I'm off to play CKII.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Mr. Martin, when will WoW be done?

When the Jets win the division.

A now we have the perfect set up for Angels in the Outfield 2: Angels in the Backfield.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »

A now we have the perfect set up for Angels in the Outfield 2: The Return of The Sanchez.

FTFY

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

A now we have the perfect set up for Angels in the Outfield 2: The Return of The Sanchize.

FTFTFY.

• Options
    Theory spoilers, relating to ADWD
    Someone went through the ADWD manuscript, and some margin commentary suggests that a popular fan theory isn't correct.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2015/01/dance-with-dragons-manuscript-spoiler

• Options
    Well duh, Coldhands is Bloodraven warged into a wight.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

A now we have the perfect set up for Angels in the Outfield 2: Angels in the Backfield.

If we're talking about angels, that means God, which then logically means....

TEBOW!

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWb6opYnPTo#t=37

Dinklebeard at the end. So who's going to the IMAX showing?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I mean that article doesn't really disavow it coming out this year, just says its not currently on the schedule. I am not sure how long it takes to convert a final draft of a novel and get it into stores, but surely no more than 6 months? I'm not hopeful it will come out this year, I just think that to definitively say it won't be released this year from that article is a leap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Not to surprising most publishing houses have around a 6 month lead up between when the final drafts are handed in and when it gets published and shipped. So for it to make 2015 at all it would likely have to be done in the next couple months and that is unlikely.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to the illustrated novellas though. Sound nice.

I wasn't expecting Winds of Winter to come out this year anyway. Hopefully it will in the first quarter of 2016.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yeah, six months is about what I understand.

Also remember they really like big obvious gift bait books to come out in the fall so you can buy them for people for Christmas gifts.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Big name authors can get books from final draft to release a lot faster. The reason timelines like that are built is because the publisher needs time to advertise and convince bookstores and such to purchase the book to put it up for sale. GRRM is not a name that requires convincing. When he wants to release his book, people will buy it.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    Every trailer they tease Daenerys going to Westeros.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

At this point it's pretty hilarious. Best case, she's what, 2-3 seasons out?

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

At this point it's pretty hilarious. Best case, she's what, 2-3 seasons out?

Well, there's a pretty decent chance that this season will end with "we're going to Westeros" cliffhanger.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm about 1000000% sure the last shot of this season will be Khal Whatshisname riding towards Dany after the arena incident, but we'll see.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    Yeah really, have you *seen* the S5 preview ? Book 6 spoiler ahoy!
    Might be Battle of Slavers Bay for E5E9.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I'm about 1000000% sure the last shot of this season will be Khal Whatshisname riding towards Dany after the arena incident, but we'll see.

No, that's a really punk ass cliffhanger. The show runners want something bigger and better.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I don't generally expect GRRM's books to come out until I run into them in a store. Same thing with expecting Berserk updates. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment by listening to any estimated deadlines, and you'll be pleasantly surprised when a new one comes "out of the blue".

• Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping for Lady Stoneheart this season.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    To punish show lovers only, s6 should just be all the Dunk and Egg Novellas! Great Detour to set up the end game.

I would actually really enjoy that, but people would lose their shit.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    PacMan1979 wrote: »

lady stoneheart's gone, man

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

I'd put money on Aegon being gone, too.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

I'd put money on Aegon being gone, too.

And at this rate I don't hold out much hope for the remaining Greyjoys.