As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Oh god you just made me hate myself!

This is what I do. Got my one for the day, now I am sustained for another 24 hours.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Weren't we still using 5.25 floppies at that point?
    Turns out the 3.5s came out in the late 80s... my bad

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's pretty amazing to think, we have a better PC in our pockets than the CEO had for his secretary to type up reports for him.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Sorry for going totally off topic. But to bring it back to the right direction, we're finally kicking ISA 2004 to the curb and replacing it with a Linux Sophos package.

Are you opting for the software appliance on self-provisioned hardware or are you going with one of their hardware appliances? I couldn't get the software appliance working. Seemed very picky about the NICs it would play nice with. Ditched it and went with pfsense ... which couldn't bridge the DMZ to the WAN. So ditched that and am setting up an Untangle.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    'Memba this?

418f5bb0-20f8-49fb-b500-ab77fcb90b0b.jpg

WP_20140521_002.jpg

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    What the Hell is that battery?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Djeet wrote: »
    Sorry for going totally off topic. But to bring it back to the right direction, we're finally kicking ISA 2004 to the curb and replacing it with a Linux Sophos package.

Are you opting for the software appliance on self-provisioned hardware or are you going with one of their hardware appliances? I couldn't get the software appliance working. Seemed very picky about the NICs it would play nice with. Ditched it and went with pfsense ... which couldn't bridge the DMZ to the WAN. So ditched that and am setting up an Untangle.
    We can't get the self-provisioned one working with our environment. It's nice for a casual network like your home, but not for a real-world business. Not sure what route we are going to go right meow.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    What the Hell is that battery?

Laptop battery, from some old IBM laptop.

• Options
    Kinda wish duracel and energizer were in the laptop battery market because it'd be nice to drop by the store and pick a $60 battery up when yours breaks. If there was a standard like "L" size or something so all batteries were the same, that'd be great, too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    God I so remember those floppy cleaning kits, and frantically squirting half a bottle on the fucking thing when you just needed your DOS disks to work and god I better not have to buy a new goddamn floppy drive.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm just a kid. I only remember as far back as those CD player cleaning kits. Had the discs with little brushes on them to clean the lens. I bet they were actually bad for it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    The only thing I remember is that prank where someone got a person to use brillo and shit on their hard drive after opening it up and pulling out the platters.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    The only thing I remember is that prank where someone got a person to use brillo and shit on their hard drive after opening it up and pulling out the platters.
    This is why we can't have nice things

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Who remembers this shit?

41HKXPOaYiL._SX300_.jpg

Cog on
  • Options
    I didn't include a picture of my Windows 3.11 for Dummies book.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Also, I think the worst thing I did was back in the DOS days, I made a windows.bat file on my friends C drive that contained:

@ echo off
    deltree /y c:\windows

Edit: whoops, sorry for accidentally lighting the echo signal :P

Cog on
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    Who remembers this shit?

41HKXPOaYiL._SX300_.jpg

Don't make me dig out my radio shack cassette tape hard drive.

• Options
    Hey now, we're only setting the WayBack to the early 90s.

I had a Vic20, don't fuck with me.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Who remembers this shit?

41HKXPOaYiL._SX300_.jpg
    I worked at a software etc when those were a thing. We were under orders to try to sell one with every CD game purchase so that the user would never have to change the CD case.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hey now, we're only setting the WayBack to the early 90s.

I had a Vic20, don't fuck with me.

Bill Cosby says my TI-99/4A was better. :p

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Oh my god you guys, our exchange server died like a week and a half ago.

I totally flipped it the bird, uninstalled it, and brought ubuntu with dovecot/postfix.

SO MANY LESS HEADACHES BROS

I am intrigued.

Though guessing you were not using all of the functionality of the Exchange server. I remember way back in the day Feral and I were talking about our abortive attempts to do the same and were both running into issues with being unable to find an effective replacement.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Did anyone ever actually clean their floppies? We had floppies from an IBM PCjr all the way up to a 386 in the 90s and never ever cleaned our floppies.

• Options
    Only when they wouldn't read and you really wanted them to work

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Haha, welcome back Bowen. And all this Heartbleed related work is a bother. Upgrading just about every bit of software that relies on SSL for auth. IT sec took out a bunch of our iLO ports on HP blade enclosures scanning for it back when it broke, so we've been having to reseat blade servers. Now I'm fairly certain it fucked up something with older rack servers, which is resolved by applying the firmware to the iLO. The firmware on the iLO polls the drivers on the OS to make sure the server is still responding. If it doesn't get a response it performs an ASR - which is basically a quick reset.

Anyways it's a lot of boring work that couldn't have come at a worse time.

• Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I totally flipped it the bird, uninstalled it, and brought ubuntu with dovecot/postfix.

I am intrigued.

Though guessing you were not using all of the functionality of the Exchange server. I remember way back in the day Feral and I were talking about our abortive attempts to do the same and were both running into issues with being unable to find an effective replacement.

Unfortunately we are just too massive and rely on too much integration to back off from Exchange. We would grind to a halt without it.

I have very fond memories of my first IT job, where I only handled a handful of e-mail and web servers and a firewall, all Linux or BSD, along with a few routers and switches. Later I maintained the same for another company but it was only a small segment of the overall infrastructure, which relied on IBM Lotus Jokes Notes. Along with some content filtering servers running on Red Hat. Surf Control maybe? Man it was so long ago I forgot.

Anyways managing pretty much any popular e-mail, web, or security solution on Linux is so much lower overhead and time than anything from Microsoft. Problem was those solutions didn't scale well and lacked some versatility in ways one might not think. Hell even Microsoft TMG is one of the better all around security solutions out there now.

jeffinva on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LOL, Lotus Notes.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Patched and restarted both domain controllers on tuesday, and now NOTHING WORKS.

I couldn't authenticate with them at all, so I rolled back the patches and restarted, and now SMB authentication works, as does SQL server, but interactive logons don't. They'll get stuck applying group policy for a solid 20 minutes.

Shits fucked and I don't know why.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options

I am intrigued.

Well for interoffice we're using google now. With imap and shared calendars, it's as good as gold for an exchange replacement. Install thunderbird + lightning and then the google provider for lightning and bam, problem solved.

I just make people access their email in the RDP server. Certain people get it on their iphones.

Done and done.

dovecot and postfix were for our internal system apps. Our portal uses it, our applications use it to send logs and shit. I was using it out of habit at that point because why set up another.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    jaziek wrote: »
    Patched and restarted both domain controllers on tuesday, and now NOTHING WORKS.

I couldn't authenticate with them at all, so I rolled back the patches and restarted, and now SMB authentication works, as does SQL server, but interactive logons don't. They'll get stuck applying group policy for a solid 20 minutes.

Shits fucked and I don't know why.

Can you turn off all of the linked group policy objects and then log in? Or create a new user in a new OU that has no group policy linked to it and log in with that. At least that way you will know if it is group policy that is screwed up or something else.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    I guess I'm just a kid. I only remember as far back as those CD player cleaning kits. Had the discs with little brushes on them to clean the lens. I bet they were actually bad for it.
    Nah, they weren't bad for it. At the time we're talking about, you couldn't even move the damn CD player or the whole thing fucked up like crazy and possibly made grinding noise, which also came with everyone holding their breath in hopes that you didn't just totally destroy the CD. I remember at my parent's office they had bolted the CD play to a shelf so that it could never move, thus making their never-ending loop of hold music perfect at all times.

Now? Yeah it is possible that it's bad for the lens given how much more advanced (aka more fucking sensitive) things are made these days. I mean, now they say use a Q-tip and alcohol, but just a Q-tip will work fine. I've done that with my 360 when the disc drive would keep saying that discs were unreadable. This happens to me once every 3-6 months. It's annoying as shit for me to pop open the entire case, break everything out, crack open the disc drive's casing... all of this just to give the lens a quick rub and shift the lens 5mm to the inside.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I learned BASIC on my Atari 400.

atari-400.jpg

I hated that keyboard.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. So I've got postfix all set up now, however, email clients on other machines can't send out. All the automated ones on the server itself work no problem. I thought I had the network parts configured properly but I guess not.

Anyone have any ideas where I should be looking?

• Options
    It also pretends to send just fine, but the mail never gets delivered unless it's to a recipient on the server itself. If it's an outside recipient, say, gmail, it never gets there. But if I do it with the account right on the server it's 100% fine.

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    Hrm ... Relay?

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    uean wrote: »
    Hrm ... Relay?

Yeah I have that set to my subnet, thinking about opening it wide to see if that helps.

• Options
    Which is odd, because it's "accepting" it, but never actually delivers it from what I can tell.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Speaking of old computers, who can help me with probably an easy batch file problem? I'm not sure exactly what to google to find the answer.

I have a list made like:
    1. Start this server
    2. stop this server

I want it so when I select 1 I go to another list, if I select 2 I go to a third list but how it works right now is that when a choice is made, say 1, it goes to the next list but it keeps that "1" selection so that list automatically selects option 1 again. Is there a way to clear that selection between script sections?

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options

I guess I should check spam filter first.

• Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Speaking of old computers, who can help me with probably an easy batch file problem? I'm not sure exactly what to google to find the answer.

I have a list made like:
    1. Start this server
    2. stop this server

I want it so when I select 1 I go to another list, if I select 2 I go to a third list but how it works right now is that when a choice is made, say 1, it goes to the next list but it keeps that "1" selection so that list automatically selects option 1 again. Is there a way to clear that selection between script sections?

Clear the choice variable before you start printing the submenu?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I am intrigued.

Well for interoffice we're using google now. With imap and shared calendars, it's as good as gold for an exchange replacement. Install thunderbird + lightning and then the google provider for lightning and bam, problem solved.

I just make people access their email in the RDP server. Certain people get it on their iphones.

Done and done.

dovecot and postfix were for our internal system apps. Our portal uses it, our applications use it to send logs and shit. I was using it out of habit at that point because why set up another.

Does Google Calendar at some subscription level let you upload Tasks to it from Thunderbird? It's a feature I really really want.