As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Post-PAX Party 2014: Passing the baton?

ArcoArco Registered User regular
Friends,

I've reached a point in my life where I'm just not able to do the Post-PAX Party anymore. When I started it five years ago (good lord, I did five of these...), I was a college student with a lot of free time. It was totally okay that this party, and PAX to a greater extent, consumed my life for 2-3 months each year. It was a ton of work, but it was something I wanted to do and it filled up time that was normally taken by WoW.

Now I have a full-time, grown-up, management-type job, plus other priorities in my life that really don't leave time for PAX, or planning a party like this.

I really wanted to navigate away from World Sports Grille/Jillian's this year, because of the very lackluster treatment we received last year. That means even more effort than usual, since I'd be starting from scratch at a new venue.

As such, I'm more than willing to pitch in and help someone if they want to take the torch from me, but I won't be throwing my usual party. I'm a little saddened by this, but mostly it's kind of a relief. As much as I thoroughly enjoy throwing this party and as much of a highlight of my PAX as it is for me, it's a lot of work, and I think five of them was enough for me.

So if there are any takers, I'm happy to share info. Wouldn't recommend WSG/Jillian's again and don't try Taphouse, either.

I love all of you. Thanks for coming to my little party these last five years. <3

Like this, not like the gas station.
Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
Satellite Theater for life!

• kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    We'll miss your hard work and planning prowess, Arco. I hope you'll still be able to go to the parties even if you're not planning them.

I'm very curious as to what WSG did to make it a bad location. Everyone was so sure last year that WSG was going to be as great as it's always been.

I'd be willing to help out on a planning committee, go check out some possible venues in person perhaps, but I can't take the reigns myself.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Thank you for hosting these for so long @Acro! Hopefully you can find someone just as awesome to fill your shoes. <3

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    WSG used to be Jillian's, and when the business changed hands, the entire staff was replaced. The management at Jillian's was top notch and I have nothing but nice things to say about them. I can't say the same for the staff they brought on as WSG.

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I didn't notice much of a difference after the business changed, but then I didn't really deal with them much aside from a small incident that happened last year which I won't get into.

At any rate, if you suggest a new location, then by all means we should seek one out. As for where to move to, I'm not sure I have any good suggestions. Gameworks had been discussed before, and the Hard Rock could be an option too (they both seem to do well with industry parties during PAX) but there's plenty of places to look at.

I would definitely be willing to help out with setting up and managing this party but I don't think I'd be up for taking the lead on it, at least not on my own. At the very least I'd be happy to continue booking and dealing with the musical acts as long as whatever venue we end up with will allow them.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    ...the Hard Rock could be an option too (they both seem to do well with industry parties during PAX) but there's plenty of places to look at.

They did a great job with the Double Fine party two years ago but not sure if that space is large enough.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    They did a great job with the Double Fine party two years ago but not sure if that space is large enough.

Yeah I checked out a party there last year (I think it was for Wildstar?) and it seemed to be ran pretty well, but size and capacity is definitely something to consider. One thing that was good about Jillian's/WSG were the games, pool tables, etc. they had there. Taking that and capacity concerns into consideration, Gameworks looks like a good alternative on paper. Plus it's right next to the convention center so that's a win too.

Does anybody else have other suggestions, comments, concerns?

NSw0gum.png
  • kinglerxstkinglerxst Registered User new member
    All good things must come to an end I suppose. Thank you so much for the effort that you put into organizing these awesome parties for 5 years. I went to 4 of them, and they were all epic. But you are correct, WSG really kinda dropped the ball last year. I used to go to that place all the time, but since they changed ownership and replaced pretty much the entire staff, I don't go anymore. I do miss that spinach artichoke dip though. :smiley:

• Seattle RockBand GroupSeattle RockBand Group Registered User regular
    We are still game for a new venue. I have contacts in Georgetown at a much Smaller, but Infinitely more BADASS location, The Mix.

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Having not attended one of these parties before, what are your requirements? Are you looking for a place that has an arcade, pool tables, darts, etc. or simply a spot that provides food, booze and places to put butts on top of? If it's the latter, might I suggest the Palace Ballroom. If it's the former, completely disregard what I just said.

Quintious on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    The thing that initially attracted me to Jillian's was the space. The first two parties were at The Taproom, and while it was nice, it was a) expensive and b) too small. Expanding past the third year would've required renting out the entire place, which was impossible unless we either sold thousands of tickets or somehow got the party sponsored/cost subsidized.

Jillian's had the square footage, but also the pool tables, ping pong tables, and lots of TVs to hook up consoles. They were very flexible and open to whatever we wanted to do, even to the point of letting us set up a full stage on the second story. Not many places can be that flexible.

Jillian's was also quite a bit cheaper than The Taproom, which allowed us to get drink tickets, more/better food, and pay for bands, at roughly the same ticket price.

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We've got three months still? We can get this together and make it work well.
    We are still game for a new venue. I have contacts in Georgetown at a much Smaller, but Infinitely more BADASS location, The Mix.

I just found out today that you guys had two shows this month, and I've been following you on twitter for a while now. Maybe I should look at my twitter more, too, but maybe advertise a bit more?

Is The Mix big enough and not too far away from PAX itself? Are you also doing regular nights there now?

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Seattle RockBand GroupSeattle RockBand Group Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    We've got three months still? We can get this together and make it work well.

I just found out today that you guys had two shows this month, and I've been following you on twitter for a while now. Maybe I should look at my twitter more, too, but maybe advertise a bit more?

Is The Mix big enough and not too far away from PAX itself? Are you also doing regular nights there now?

The last two shows were very short notice and were not permanent. I do hope to go back to The Mix on a permanent basis, but we haven't nailed down a schedule.

The Mix is located in Georgetown, which would be quite a walk from the convention center, but only a 30 minute bus ride on Route 106 from Convention Place.

Also, it is quite small, and would not be big enough for what we had at Jillians, however, GT is very cozy and has an AWESOME pizza place just across the street, A Retro Pinball Arcade, next door, an old record store on the corner, a Diner on the block and a few bars too.

Maybe we could have a block party?

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    personally I have no issue with a 30min bus ride to get to the party- i'm use to public transit- living in portland and staying in the university district myself.

• Sushi HeroSushi Hero Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I would be interested in picking up that torch, but I do have a few questions for you in order to get started. Is there an e-mail address I can reach you at? I sent you a PM, but if you're like me than you don't always check it here too often :]

Sushi Hero on
  • TD&TRQTD&TRQ rockband night co-host in seattle Registered User regular
    so the AFK Tavern that just opened up about 2 months ago in renton would be the best place to have ppp6, but its about a 20 minute drive on the freeway from the wscc. they have capacity for about 450 people, and the area is divided nicely so that different events dont spill into each other. there is even a "stage" in the bar area with a dance floor. it was formerly Keg, a steakhouse type of place. its tagline is "a place for geeks and gamers". im mean cmon, what more do you want? this would be a great way to support this awesome local endeavor and give it the boost it really needs. i have looked into a few bus rental places, but have yet to get a quote. its probably going to be up there. you could take the bus, but it will take about 1:27 to get there, and you gotta transfer to another one on the way. and then there is the rental of the joint. perhaps a special menu could be agreed upon beforehand at a set price. including the food in the transportation and building costs might not be the best way to go. also, they are open until 3am every day, so having the party shut down at 11 or 12 wouldnt be such a downer like it has been in the past (alcohol and food are stopped at 2am). there are board games here, even monitors set up so you can plug in your pc and lan it up, or get on the ethernet. its my new fav hangout! here are some pics i just took inside while i was eating spaghetti and sippin on a rbf...

uekb92hjo48x.jpg
    jk6ravf09tn0.jpg
    6tyv2tkml5uy.jpg
    a9ai2w58cxy7.jpg
    j314oor3hzmk.jpg
    pjbc1sn4dc8y.jpg
    bqm7xk1fiuda.jpg

Like the pictures but wish it was closer in. Carpool maybe? ?

• banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    Wow, didn't know they opened a location in Renton. If not for being on the east side it would be perfect.

pax
    clt
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    LOL

Good luck at getting out of town people who dont have cars to go to a party in renton :P

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    The way I see it, distance kind of removes this place as an option.

That being said, I've known the AFK owners since they opened the first place in Everett, and have no doubt that I could set something up with them for this. It would definitely be a cool location, it has the perfect atmosphere and accommodations that would perfectly suit this party. Like I said though, distance is a killer. I'm local, would likely have access to my vehicle during PAX, and would still not be willing to go that distance for the party. For people without vehicles, having to rely on buses or even cabs during that time would be an issue.

If we could set up some kind of shuttle transportation between there and the convention center area and keep it late into the night, then maybe it could work, but I bet it would be too much of a hassle.

NSw0gum.png
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    find out how much a shuttle would cost.

• DifinitusDifinitus Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    You need to know how many people will attend. Do we need a party bus or a charter bus? Who's going to pay for it too? I think with the leadership passing to a new person(s), just make it simple and find a cool place within walking distance. Surely there has to be something.

A sponsorship is actually a good idea, but not this year. Let's just make it easy on ourselves and find a distance we can all reach by foot.

My First PAX: Prime 2014
    Tickets [X] | Flight [X] | Coin [ ]
  • CrielCriel Registered User regular
    What day would this occur?

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    historically they occurred on monday.

Difinitus wrote: »
    just make it simple and find a cool place within walking distance.

That should be rule #1, if you want decent attendance anyway more than a handful of people.

Why travel to the party when I can just go drinking with people close to the event.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    historically they occurred on monday.
    well, historically they occurred on the last day of pax, after pax closes. This was Sunday for awhile, but switched to Monday last year.

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    @arco Historically, what has attendance been like?

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    the problem with doing it downtown is that there arent any places that are low cost considering the size of the crowd, food, entertainment, etc. if you are going to do something downtown like this, especially when its loosely related to pax, the venues in the area will most certainly get their pound of flesh and then some. like i said, i have contacted a few transportation service providers, and i have yet to get a definitive quote. i will post the numbers when i get them. again on the number of attendees...the capacity of afk in renton is something like 450.

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is the GTA still around...? ;)

If we can get transportation there and back, Renton may work amazing. If not...a place for just entertainment and a crowd would work, yes? I'm still trying to contact a place I've wanted to hold an event at, but it is just a small-ish bar with a decent stage/performance area. 150 capacity. We'll find a place to rock, at least... :)

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    Does the light rail run by there? That would be a decent option if it does.

by the way, we ran the rockband portion of the last two ppps, and we now have a regular gig at the afk tavern in renton on sundays at 8 or 9. a few people on the forums had asked about us a while back, but now we are back!

ok i just got the quote from the bus charter...the only one to respond mind you...and for 444 people to be taken to afk tavern in renton all at once and returned all at once 8 hours later (that was my number not theirs) it would cost $8352 ($18.82 per person). thats a reasonable rate i think, but if you want to leave earlier you would need to secure your own transportation. i would imagine that for 6 hours it would be around $6k. i will talk to the people at afk tavern now to see what that cost looks like.

edited June 2014
    $20 for a ride down and back isn't too bad. But...yeah. Hmm.

Light rail is definitely an interesting idea, Yoshua. 45 minute ride from downtown to SeaTac, then maybe have a ferry back and forth from the lightrail and AFK tavern an hour before the party starts to an hour after. The last train from SeaTac to Downtown leaves at 12:10AM(11:50PM, if it's Sunday or Monday(Labor Day)).

I wouldn't mind ferrying people from the lightrail at SeaTac across the freeway to AFK. I would hope there were other people driving that could help too. I'll ask for $GAS(with a tip? heh) for the whole venture. Probably $2-5 for me per trip, with the lightrail costing $2.75 each way. So...travel costs should be $10 per person, basically? Or...we could have it in notRenton.

Legacy on
    edited June 2014
    I think Renton is too far out- I know the space would be better but I am more likely to go if its closer to the convention center and I dont think i'm alone. Adding $20 on for transportation to the party kind of sucks imo.

Rhea_starstorm on
    Yeah, I know I wouldn't go if its outside of the downtown core. Why travel to renton when I could hit up any bar around that will be filled with PAXers?

Hell I live here and I hardly ever want to go to reton :P

• DifinitusDifinitus Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Good luck trying to organize 444 people whom you do not know to be on time and ready to travel. What about the people who want to attend the party, but won't hear about it until PAX has started? Is it $20 bucks in addition to a ticket to get in? In my experience of event planning, this is much more hassle than it's really worth. To make things simple since Arco is handing the responsibility, is to just find a bar close to the convention center, ask them their occupancy limit and if there is any event scheduled that night and pick the best one. A bar *shouldn't* charge you to host a large amount of people unless it's a private party (they'll make a killing off of us anyway).

Now, if you are going to rent out a space again, then then it's best to figure out a cost and set up the EventBrite page as soon as possible. Arco stated he had a bad experience last year with World Sports Grille, and their Yelp page is less-than favorable. However, if we are really limited in the options for a large space, I think that contacting WSG and setting expectations is your best bet. If you describe to them your experience from last year, and they actually care about your business, then they will make sure that you don't have a repeat of bad service.

My First PAX: Prime 2014
    Tickets [X] | Flight [X] | Coin [ ]
    world sports grille is awful. i would not wish a party there, even on you, difinitus. i dont see what the big deal is. who cares if its in renton? and i just confirmed that it will be around $3784 for 4 coaches to make 2 trips each there at 6pm and 8pm, and back at 11pm and 1am. anyway its a mere 15-20 minutes away, why wouldnt anyone go? people fly thousands of miles to go to pax and spend almost as much in cash, and a local cant get in a bus? also no smart business is going to let 400+ people just walk in to the place without some kind of rate, especially if there is going to be any form of entertainment...but paying for a performer may be a foregone conclusion, and it might be time to shed the bands. i mean thats what the concerts are for. getting a band to play the party just seems pointless to me (no disrespect to the protomen :D). with about $4500 less for travel, and not paying for a performance, the individual cost will most likely be about the same as the last ppp...but thats a guesstimate. i have yet to get anything from afk...they kinda have a lot going on at the moment, so im being patient.

in the end, im all about the ppp. its a fun "tradition" and i would like to see it continue. some people dont get to go to pax, and this is like a consolation prize for them. im just all about it, and there really isnt any options in the downtown area. at least this way we are in a place that is meant for us, instead of a random restaurant that could care less as long as they are getting paid. am i crazy? my voice doesnt think so...

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I love P3, and I appreciate the work being done to keep it going. I think you're absolutely right about wanting a good venue vs. a shitty venue.

For size reference, I think the largest P3 ever was 300-350 people. I think last year's was a fair bit fewer than that, maybe ~200ish? Probably because Monday.

I probably wouldn't go to Renton either, fwiw.

fewer people = lower cost. 444 was the number that the charter gave me. i would expect a dramatic drop in cost for less than half the people she quoted...if indeed 200 people is the cutoff.

[quote="TD&TRQ;30119237"i dont see what the big deal is. who cares if its in renton?[/quote]

Seems a lot of people do.

Personally I would rather stay downtown and just go to a nearby bar with PAXers than transit to renton to do the same.

People can host the party where ever they want to, you will have more people show up if its closer to the downtown core. I know I wouldn't go if it were in renton. I know of many others who would feel the same. We would just walk up to cap hill and drink somewhere instead.

@bigred just because 3 people are fine with going to a bar and cant sit on a bus for 20 minutes doesnt mean that thats the consensus. i guess since a few people want to shoot this idea down, and absolutely hate renton for whatever reason, i will hafta have my own little party in renton by my big boy self then.

This discussion has been closed.