As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, May 23, 2014 - Nipping

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    It's good to stop them at this young age before they get out into the world and do serious damage to themselves.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I find this comic amusing.
    This concludes My Very Important Opinions That Matter A Whole Lot. Thank you for your time.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    emberBeckyemberBecky Los Angeles, CARegistered User new member
    hello PA forum. I've never posted here before.

my first post contains an important observation:

Gabe the elder is getting ice cream all over his face. Gabe Jr. is not.

... :#

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    face and shirt

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Larping isn't that bad. Larpers can be.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    ChicarChicar Registered User new member
    No, the worst thing is to blast larping in a nerd directed webcomic.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It starts with a game at recess.

Next thing you know he's going to "reenactments" of LOTR battles for entertainment.

Until finally you find a set of pointy ears and a foam sword under his bed and you know it's too late.

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Heh, appears Gabe the Prime found the painter's brushes. Good. PA will look much more amazing now.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This is literally one of the most disturbing PA comics I've ever read. The idea of a parent smooshing a child's imagination and fun chills me. "Well son, society thinks your fun is wrong, so you have to stop." <shiver>

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I mean, if you're taking the comic as a serious representation of a real event I guess it would be disturbing.

But I would question your judgement.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    I mean, if you're taking the comic as a serious representation of a real event I guess it would be disturbing.

But I would question your judgement.
    I'm not implying it actually happened, I think more of Mike than that.

• Options
    saltwaterstudsaltwaterstud NCRegistered User new member
    I lost one of my best friends to "reenactments." All his FB feed contains are lost snippets of his former self

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I lost one of my best friends to "reenactments." All his FB feed contains are lost snippets of his former self

John is gone now, there is only Kel'Thar the Elf Barbarian.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

"Just got my new tail! It looks great with the sad ears."

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    This is literally one of the most disturbing PA comics I've ever read. The idea of a parent smooshing a child's imagination and fun chills me. "Well son, society thinks your fun is wrong, so you have to stop." <shiver>

I'm glad that a certain class of self-styled geeks prefer to do their obsessive role-playing where they can get away from their computer desk and get some exercise/social activity/sunshine.

I've never personally met a LARPer whom I personally would want to hang out with on a regular basis, though. I'm sure that communities of LARPers exist that consist of people who are not extremely socially awkward and obsessive about their alternate persona, but I've yet to personally find one and I wouldn't be surprised if many others haven't, either.

All that aside, I think a lot of the humor in this one (intentionally or otherwise) comes from the idea that it's funny to stop a kid from basically glorifying their imaginary "Cowboys & Indians" play for fear that it will creep into their adult life. G&T don't strike me as the kind of people who would try to alienate nerdy folks.

• Options
    Alpha the WhiteAlpha the White Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    Furthermore, the Gabe and Tycho personas have been established as classic "prejudice geeks," in that they buy into the Geek Hierarchy. Mike and Jerry generally make it clear they don't judge the geekdoms of others. Gabriel, however, regularly puts down geekdoms (and people generally, I guess) he considers beneath him.

Frankly, using Gabe or Tycho as a foil to point out the silliness of prejudice is common enough that I'm surprised any posters thought this comic was anything more than a straw man in the first place.

Oh, and hi, first time actually posting.

Alpha the White on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I'm glad that a certain class of self-styled geeks prefer to do their obsessive role-playing where they can get away from their computer desk and get some exercise/social activity/sunshine.

I've never personally met a LARPer whom I personally would want to hang out with on a regular basis, though. I'm sure that communities of LARPers exist that consist of people who are not extremely socially awkward and obsessive about their alternate persona, but I've yet to personally find one and I wouldn't be surprised if many others haven't, either.

All that aside, I think a lot of the humor in this one (intentionally or otherwise) comes from the idea that it's funny to stop a kid from basically glorifying their imaginary "Cowboys & Indians" play for fear that it will creep into their adult life. G&T don't strike me as the kind of people who would try to alienate nerdy folks.
    I often find the "Gabe's Kids" episodes weird to parse (and even stranger when Gabe got his child face last year). For me this is definitely a personal button that is easy to press. I do not like gatekeepers. And kids can barely fight back, especially against their parents. So I read this as a father shaming his child for being the wrong kind of geek.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Furthermore, the Gabe and Tycho personas have been established as classic "prejudice geeks," in that they buy into the Geek Hierarchy. Mike and Jerry generally make it clear they don't judge the geekdoms of others. Gabriel, however, regularly puts down geekdoms (and people generally, I guess) he considers beneath him.

Frankly, using Gabe or Tycho as a foil to point out the silliness of prejudice is common enough that I'm surprised any posters thought this comic was anything more than a straw man in the first place.

This, pretty much.

Gabe is not Mike. They occasionally overlap but they are not supposed to be complete representations of how they actually act as parents or people.

It has been established on multiple occasions that Gabe is a terrible person. I think you're taking this comic strip way too seriously.

• Options
    RexRex Registered User regular
    I seriously hope there is some joking explanation of this strip forthcoming. This is some pretty offensively elitist bullshit.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate its' contents."
    - H. P. Lovecraft
  • Options
    edited May 2014

This, pretty much.

Gabe is not Mike. They occasionally overlap but they are not supposed to be complete representations of how they actually act as parents or people.

It has been established on multiple occasions that Gabe is a terrible person. I think you're taking this comic strip way too seriously.

I do not think Mike is Gabe. In fact have referred to them separately in this thread, saying I think better of Mike than that. I was saying I think the idea in the comic is gross and horrible. Not that I think Mike Krahulik is a bad person. It's a comic, not a memoir.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    DoomnetoDoomneto Registered User regular
    This is funny.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Did y'all happen to notice that if you take this comics script as a simple statement of an opinion that there isn't any joke? Maybe that means that what Gabe is saying is, in fact a joke. Since this is a three panel funny and all.

• Options
    The Beast of Yucca FlatsThe Beast of Yucca Flats Registered User regular

Indeed.

That both Gabe and Tycho, the characters, are terrible people is something fairly easy to demonstrate. Their terribleness allows Mike and Jerry to regularly use them as cautionary tales, warnings against others attempting to emulate their behavior, if you will.

Expecting that either of the characters will make reasoned, rational, sensible decisions or take actions that reflect the same is always going to result in disappointment.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I will also add that even taken at face value, this is not "Parent tells kid to stop having fun in a way society disapproves of," this is "Parent tells kid to stop having fun in a way PARENT disapproves of," which is pretty much par for the course with parenting sometimes. Though obviously different people disapprove of their kids doing different things.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Chicar wrote: »
    No, the worst thing is to blast larping in a nerd directed webcomic.

Spoken like a LARPer!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RexRex Registered User regular
    Even if it was meant as a joke it's coming across as ignorant criticism and elitism.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate its' contents."
    - H. P. Lovecraft
  • Options
    The Beast of Yucca FlatsThe Beast of Yucca Flats Registered User regular
    Rex wrote: »
    Even if it was meant as a joke it's coming across as ignorant criticism and elitism.

Gabe (the character) is pretty ignorant and elitist.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    you know how you make LARPing really fun?

you add airsoft guns

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Did y'all happen to notice that if you take this comics script as a simple statement of an opinion that there isn't any joke? Maybe that means that what Gabe is saying is, in fact a joke. Since this is a three panel funny and all.

I read it as an important Public Service Announcement.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular

Facebook? I have no idea what you're talking about seeing as it's 1864. Welcome to Pioneer Village!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »

Facebook? I have no idea what you're talking about seeing as it's 1864. Welcome to Pioneer Village!

I once texted a friend who was at a '30s theme party, "Stop reading texts, phones didn't exist in the '30s"

She responded "GET OUT OF MY HEAD"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FeefafoozleFeefafoozle Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Fiascos, lol.
    Satire comic is SO OBVIOUSLY trying to get folks riled up.

Feefafoozle on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    you know how you make LARPing really fun?

you add airsoft guns

pretty sure that turns you into civil war reenactors

suggesting that people eat their babies would also have come off as ignorant elitism, and yet for some reason we hail it as a great piece of writing... I can't quite remember why...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

That is the joke. As others have said, the character of Gabe has been shown in the past to be somewhat of a nerd elitist and this is just a strip of him doing it again with the joke being at his expense.

• Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    this is a case where the character "Gabe" and I do not agree. I was actually super proud of my boy but it felt like Gabe would have a different opinion. Don't worry he goes and gets a different perspective from uncle Tycho in the next comic:)

• Options
    Alpha the WhiteAlpha the White Registered User new member
  • Options
    LARPing can be a lot of things

it can be this:

LARP1.jpg

it can be this:

800x600xtdv04_new.jpg.pagespeed.ic.LCk2Kw9jfF.jpg

and sometimes it can be this:

zero-1024x682.jpg

all of those people are LARPing (although the last group would be loath to admit it, that's what they're bloody well doing and I can admit it when I'm doing it), and all of them are having a good time

whether or not any of that appeals to you is up to you

• Options
    GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    Man, that last group has a way better budget than the first group.

• Options
    Milsimmers spend thousands of dollars on their kit, it's crazy.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i kinda wanna hang out with the middle group. have some classy wines. suck some blood from a hobo. you know, low key LARPing.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562