As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, May 23, 2014 - Nipping

• Options
    RegentRegent Registered User new member
    First post!

As a LARPer the comic irked me at first (no one likes having their hobbies bashed, especially by people they respect) but reading through the comments here (especially yours, Gabriel) has assuaged my ire. How could anyone dislike a pasttime that combines roleplaying, crafting skills, cosplay, social interaction AND physical activity? Sure we've got some socially inept players, but we're NOTHING like those devil worshipping D&D nerds. :p

For those of you interested in checking out a LARP in your area, visit www.larping.org. Not only are there some fun articles, but they've also started a detailed list of LARPs across the country (and the photos are pretty amazing too).

• Options
    dkoemansdkoemans Registered User new member
    So much hyperbole. "literally one of the most disturbing PA comics". Really? These are the folks that did the dickwolves comic. The only thing funnier than the strip is the comments. No one on this forum or the writers are condemning the lifestyle. I suggest everyone just relax a bit.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    also, Gabe is literally smearing ice cream all over himself while besmirching LARPing. the subtext is classic "people who throw stones shouldn't live in glass houses."

if that doesn't indicate to you that the audience prooooobably shouldn't take Gabe seriously, i don't know what to tell you.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RegentRegent Registered User new member
    Gaslight wrote: »

Silly high elf. Morgoth is obviously a black Volkswagen, not a red BMW.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Character from which all evil grew?

Hmm, I might go with it being a PT Cruiser.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    Man, that last group has a way better budget than the first group.

I consider the first group with a budget would look like something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTB1GzHJw

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Mmmmm...mint chocolate chip...

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    KyleSKyleS Renton, WARegistered User new member
    As one small part of the many times over Sub-Sub group that make up LARPers...this comic is rad, and at no point was I surprised that was Gabe's response. True to character, and awesome.

As one of the resident LARPers, I've had quite a few folks holler at me throughout the office, "Hey! Did you see PA today?!?" Which has started quite a bit of laughing and conversation over the strip itself (and the dude in Portland). Good stuff. Look forward to seeing the next strip!

• Options
    OnirazaelOnirazael Registered User new member
    edited May 2014
    I think the point of PA is that Gabe and Tycho are elitist asswipes. So that comment is par for the course with them.
    I belong to numerous LARPing communities. I can say that the bulk of the LARPers I know could cleanly kick the crap at out most people as they are in way better shape than the average nerd. Make fun of us all you want. We don't really care. We are having fun, socializing and exercising. I wonder how long either one of them would last at a LARP? I am guessing they would call it quits by mid day as neither would make it up a hill.

Onirazael on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    TysonBadassOverHere.jpg

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    teehee

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

The Anti-Chrysler

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Another PA strip and another opportunity to see how much nerds just don't understand humor.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Who are you calling a nerd, geek?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure why some people hate LARPers. It's a game, like paintball, nothing really strange here. Especially if we are talking about people like those in the video above, who pretty much recreate history without assuming any character(at least I think so).

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I can't find it now, but wasn't there a PA:TS episode where they did some LARP event? And isn't Fehlauer super into LARP? Swordplay for sure, but I think also LARP.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I can't find it now, but wasn't there a PA:TS episode where they did some LARP event? And isn't Fehlauer super into LARP? Swordplay for sure, but I think also LARP.

I think what Fehlauer does is a little more historical/ren faire-y rather than having fantasy and gaming elements, but yeah it is arguably very close to the same thing.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    i kinda wanna hang out with the middle group. have some classy wines. suck some blood from a hobo. you know, low key LARPing.
    You have to be in the 1 percent to do th... oh, you mean LITERAL blood. Goddamn WoD LARPers!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Normally I'd post this in the board game thread, but it seems more germaine here:
    SU&SD recently posted a video of them taking part in what seems one part LARPing, one part Diplomacy, and two parts lying to each other on the world stage.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/susd-play-megagame/

Edit: and I think it goes without saying that this sounds ultra-cool and I would want to take part in such a thing with my pals.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    calamityjamiecalamityjamie Corgi Wrangler Seattle, WARegistered User staff
    Yeah, Feh participates in Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and does swordfighting competitions and stuff.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Mmmmm...mint chocolate chip...

Mint chocolate chip is best chocolate chip.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    It would be if it wasn't for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Whatever consenting adults wish to do out in the woods together is fine by me. I do get a little weirded out though when I see LARPing in contexts not specifically intended for it, and I can no longer tell that they can tell it's not real. I think plenty of us have have that kind of experience at some point or another, but of course that shouldn't reflect on everyone who chooses to LARP. LARPing has a wide variety of styles and a wide variety of people participating in it. It's a shame a few bad apples ruin things for the group at large.

Regardless though, it's clear this comic is not Mike and Jerry railing against the "evils" of LARPing. It's a comic about Gabe being a stereotype. Depending on how you look at it, he's actually being more than one stereotype. It's a funny comic and some of you guys and gals need to lighten up a little and laugh at the hypocrisy. The joke here is definitely not on LARPers. Let's not forget that Mike and Jerry themselves are arguably LARPing when they get on stage in costume for Acquisitions Incorporated.

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I feel like people are responding to things nobody said. Speaking for myself. I never said I even disliked this comic (I don't). I said zero negative things about Mike or Jerry. I know very well that Gabe and Tycho are not Mike Karahulik and Jerry Holkins. I thought the scene depicted in the comic was a terrible thing to happen, like this comic, not that they shouldn't have made it, that I was alienated, or that making it implies anything negative about them.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Several years ago, I was playing Vampire:The Masquerade with some friends from college. We're planning our assault on the big baddie's base, when one of them gets up to get a drink. He comes back, goblet in hand, and starts laying out some plans, gesturing with the goblet, pointing at the map on the board.

Suddenly he stops, looks at his goblet, a look of slowly dawning horror upon his face.

"Oh my god you guys. I'm LARPing."

Edit: He tells me he was in fact gesturing with a dice container as though it were a goblet. Which is actually better.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Rex wrote: »
    Even if it was meant as a joke it's coming across as ignorant criticism and elitism.

Truly, won't someone think of the struggles of the middle class white male who LARPs? Their constant persecution by society has to end.

(You are taking both this comic and yourself much too seriously)

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    zero-1024x682.jpg

I am totally confused by their goggles. 4 lenses? How do they work?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    The most striking feature of the GPNVG-18 is the presence of four separate image intensifier tubes with four separate objective lenses arrayed in a panoramic orientation. The center two lenses point forward like traditional dual-tube goggles, giving the operator more depth perception, while two more tubes point slightly outward from the center to increase peripheral view. The two tubes on the right and the two on the left are spliced at the eyepieces. The operator sees the two center tubes somewhat overlapping the two outer tubes to produce an unprecedented 97° FOV.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So it's basically like upping the FOV in an FPS... but in real life, holy crap.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    And for the low low price of $37,999.00 they can be yours!

Or $59.99 for costume ones.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I am amused by Mike's comment that Gabe is trying to crush little Gabe's dreams while uncle Tycho will have a different opinion, because it seems that a few years back the two characters each had the opposite opinion regarding this sort of activity: 889853562_LH6HE-L.jpg

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

The Anti-Chrysler

So are SUVs Cave Trolls?

Would a Hummer be Smaug? Oh God, that actually works on multiple levels.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My brother is in Belegarth, a good friend of mine is in Nero.

The former has lots of drama from what I can tell, the latter has a whole lot of kinky shit going on that occasionally gets interrupted by midnight raids on the village.

But that might just be due to the particular individual's proclivities. Nowadays he seems to spend a decent amount of time with the local BDSM group, breaking people and such. He's also scaled back on his LARPing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like there's a lot of potential for overlap with a BDSM and LARP group.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I wonder how people who are horrified/offended by how bad of a dad Gabe is in this strip feel about this one:

217497721_wg5Ad-L-2.jpg

Like seriously, Child Protective Services ought to have come for the kid long before Gabe committed the unutterable sin of making fun of LARPing.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Your anti pigeon eating bias is showing through yet again.

That's valuable protein and Gabe's a good father for letting his son obtain it.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    also, Gabe is literally smearing ice cream all over himself while besmirching LARPing. the subtext is classic "people who throw stones shouldn't live in glass houses."

Or masturbate in the day time.

My Fiancee Larps sometimes. I make fun of her for it (because it's not for me and because she's a NEEEEEERD but she has so much fun which is nice. Also she found this comic funny.
    Chill out, Geese. People can make fun of what they want.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Onirazael wrote: »
    I think the point of PA is that Gabe and Tycho are elitist asswipes. So that comment is par for the course with them.
    I belong to numerous LARPing communities. I can say that the bulk of the LARPers I know could cleanly kick the crap at out most people as they are in way better shape than the average nerd. Make fun of us all you want. We don't really care. We are having fun, socializing and exercising. I wonder how long either one of them would last at a LARP? I am guessing they would call it quits by mid day as neither would make it up a hill.

So badass...