As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[X-Men: DOFP] Also known as *How to fix a franchise* [Spoilers!]

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about DoFP is how they weaved it into real history and showed how the mutants affected the world when their powers were revealed to the public. That's something the original X-Men movies failed to do. DoFP does a great job of showing how the mutants were mistreated and how their exposure to the public led to panic and extreme reactions.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Saw it earlier today, and I had a quick question regarding the future mutants. What exactly is Warpath's power? Is it just really long range vision or enhanced senses, also good with knives? Some kind of limited precognition, also good with knives?

To the question of 3D or not 3D, I saw it in 3D (didn't want to wait an hour for the 2D showing) and thought the 3D was very well done. I don't think it would make or break the movie to see it in 2D though.

Just curious, was that particular Blink/Colossus combo done in the comics or was it thought up for the movie? Cause that was great.

Warpath in the comics apparently has pretty boring abilities. He's just super strong and fast and has super good senses.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The stuff I'm seeing in the spoilers is making me actually wanting to see this movie, despite hating pretty much everything about X3 and the Wolverine movies and disliking a great deal of First Class just chucking shitloads of history and logical story elements right out the window.

Great job. Assholes.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    I really liked the future Sentinels.

Those floating carriages they were transported in were ominous as fuck and really conveyed a sense of dread.

I'm not super familiar with all the comic storylines so I don't know if that style of sentinel actually shows up in the comics, but I was a little ticked off at first that they weren't the classic sentinels I remembered, yet lo and behold you end up getting plenty of classic sentinel action too!

Nimrodxmen.PNG

The comic Nimrod might've been "too cute" to convery the sense of dread, despair and panic during the 616 X-Men dark future as shown in DOFP. I could understand the reasoning behind the change of the Future sentinels and they were, in principal, faithful to the Nimrod Sentinels in the Comics/Animated Series.

I myself loved
    Blink being fucking kickass. And did anyone get some "Mortal Kombat" vibes at some of Warpath's solo scenes? Bishop was too underutilized, but since Singer and company were not going the Animated series route of Bishop being the one to go back in time and find the Mutant traitor, they decided for movie Bishop to be a supporting character instead.

But I ain't complaining. DOFP and Cap2 are the top two Marvel movies this year.

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    quick silver looks like shit he will be terrible omg the outrage: 1 week ago

omg quicksilver was the best part of the movie I hope they keep him : present time

grumble grumble I still hate his silver coat.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I liked it a lot. Brings the X-Men franchise into contention with modern superhero fare (aka, Marvel Studios, not DC lol) without taking a shit on the source material or the earlier movies (where they didn't deserve it). Once they have their version of the Avengers in Apocalypse, I wonder where they'll take it from there.

Hugh is very close to donezo both physically and mentally from all the interviews he's been giving. The cowardly route is to wait a year and then reboot with a new Wolverine to continue all Wolverine, all the time movies. However, the interesting/exciting route would be to finally develop the property similar to how Marvel themselves have done. Solo movies are fine as far as that goes, but I'd like to see them do Young/New X-Men. Pass the lead on to Illyana, X-23, Cannonball, and so forth. And if the idea of becoming less dark/extreme/serious makes certain execs shit their pants, they could also develop X-Force or X-Factor or whatever at the same time.

Overall, I will continue not to mind Marvel Studios not having the X-Men rights as long as Fox makes exciting and faithful X-Men movies. We'll get more movies with a wider talent pool this way. If they make rushed shitfests like X3 or Wolverine Origins again, yeah take that shit back Marvel, please.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I kinda-sorta wish that they had done something more with the whole "stuff you do in the past affects the future" thing. Like, the Sentinel design changes in some way due to some idea Trask gets. Just to drive that part of the time shenanigans home. Aside from that not-really-a-nitpick, I loved it.

I'm curious, though...does this mean future movies will be set in the 70s/80s/90s?

The time travel was set so that nothing would change while the travel was still occurring. Kitty sending him back is basically like opening editing software. Nothing properly changes until you hit save and close the program.

Also this was a really good film.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    There are three things I would change:

Someone to point out that evolution doesn't require that mutants kill humans in order to replace them. To which the counter argument would be they are too dangerous to allow them to go unchecked. A bit more from the Comittee at the front - the argument that mutants are citizens should have gotten more play.
    I wanted Mystique/Charles to first of all point out that Trask was committing atrocities. And then point out that they were not the aggressors and that it should be obvious that if they wanted to start shit they could have years ago. Some sort of impassioned argument for peace, pointing out that every mutant is some human's son or daughter etc...

Lastly I wanted Magneto to fly off, everyone to think he was booking it and leaving everyone to die and save himself. But then to reappear with some mechanism to really delay the sentinels - really show off that he's one crazy powerful motherfucker but being overwhelmed. Being the first to sacrifice himself for everyone else.

They were things that niggled at me

Oh yea, that was something that bothered me a bit. Didn't Homo Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens actually coexist for thousands of years? I think they had Trask make the exact same argument.
    Also, let's not forget the best part of this movie:
    It just straight-up undoes X3.

By the way, does anyone know the explanation for why Xavier is still alive in the Sentinel future? Did they just straight retcon that?

Quiet!
    As others said, X3's stinger had him waking in another persons body. How/why he looks just like himself and is still in a wheel chair is completely unexplained.

I was very amused to have it hit me as I walked out of the theater that they just undid all that shit in X3 and made it so all the classic characters are alive and well and ready for sequels.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Who was the fire mutant in the future? Had Amara's powers but was a guy.

steam_sig.png
    I thought I heard Sunspot but I thought he was just fiery and strong, not blasty.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I thought I heard Sunspot but I thought he was just fiery and strong, not blasty.

He was originally just super strong and fiery looking but at one point was experimented on leading to the ability to shoot fire.

• ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    The stuff I'm seeing in the spoilers is making me actually wanting to see this movie, despite hating pretty much everything about X3 and the Wolverine movies and disliking a great deal of First Class just chucking shitloads of history and logical story elements right out the window.

Great job. Assholes.
    Don't worry, you can always count on MovieBob to Complain About Dark Knight Rises and Amazing Spider-Man while Reviewing How A Non-Marvel Studios Movie Isn't As Good As A Marvel Studios Movie.

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I think this movie only makes small tweaks to what would be the events in X-men 1 and 2 while still allowing X-Men 3 to be remade properly.
    Everyone is saying "Why does Rouge have the white streak in her hair?" - well, we have no indication that with the change in the past that Magneto wouldn't still try to do the same thing over. He didn't have any clue that he would try it and it wouldn't work etc.

Same with X-Men 2 etc.

The only thing we know is that Professor X saw all of the X-Men 3 movie in a flashback so he now knows - hey Jean Grey is going to kill a lot of people we should kind'a watch her after I promised Wolverine I would go find her and Scott etc.

The only thing that slightly confused me was why does Mystique posing as Striker get Wolverine at the end? I am thinking they will open up the possibility of introducing a clone similar X-23 into the story in case Hugh Jackman opts out. She will be played by Summer Glau more than likely. That could be fun.

useless4 on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The ONLY thing I didn't like about DOFP
    How in the holy fuck does Magneto reprogram the Sentinels? I get that he put metal into them, but how did he change their programming to obey his commands, to attack humans instead of Mutants, etc? That part lost me.

I really enjoyed that the events of this movie undid X3 without shitting on X3.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The ONLY thing I didn't like about DOFP
    How in the holy fuck does Magneto reprogram the Sentinels? I get that he put metal into them, but how did he change their programming to obey his commands, to attack humans instead of Mutants, etc? That part lost me.

I really enjoyed that the events of this movie undid X3 without shitting on X3.

I think:
    The whole reason he lifts the baseball stadium is to have such a big display of mutantness to get the Sentinels to activate in his presence, and then when they are "locked" and about to shoot he moves their arm so while they think they are shooting Magneto they're aimed at humans. And then Magneto setting a Sentinel on Beast and Wolverine was just releasing his hold over them.

That's how I interpreted it.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yo dawg, figuring out aging is hard and the 3D was pretty much a waste.

My takeaway from the movie was, "Let's fuck over most of First Class to press reset on the main franchise!"

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ohh sunspot! Guess I would have expected a darker skin tone for him.

What about the hedgehog looking guy in Vietnam, our the toxic guy with the tattoo?

steam_sig.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

Sunspot was ... Sunfire I guess. It was nice to see Blink and Bishop, although other than Blink no one really worked together. That was always something they kinda drilled into you in the comics, was they fought as a team.

Nosf wrote: »

My takeaway from the movie was, "Let's fuck over most of First Class to press reset on the main franchise!"
    I was amused during the "vault of horrors" scene because I could practically hear them saying "All those weird freaks you didn't care about? Yeah, well they're dead. They died off screen. No, we're not going to show you how, here have some old props and try and act sad, this is a somber scene!

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    so, now that Azazel is dead, does that mean that Nightcrawler will never be born?

Sunspot was ... Sunfire I guess. It was nice to see Blink and Bishop, although other than Blink no one really worked together. That was always something they kinda drilled into you in the comics, was they fought as a team.

It made sense in the context, as they were constantly being overwhelmed with the number of enemies.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    so, now that Azazel is dead, does that mean that Nightcrawler will never be born?

Azazel was dead before any continuity was changed, so his death changes nothing. Did they make a link between the two overt in the films anyway?

It doesn't matter, I don't think. Alan Cumming didn't want to come back anyway, so the character is either shelved or going to be recast, and the roster is pretty full for them to want to recast.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I kinda-sorta wish that they had done something more with the whole "stuff you do in the past affects the future" thing. Like, the Sentinel design changes in some way due to some idea Trask gets. Just to drive that part of the time shenanigans home. Aside from that not-really-a-nitpick, I loved it.

I'm curious, though...does this mean future movies will be set in the 70s/80s/90s?

The time travel was set so that nothing would change while the travel was still occurring. Kitty sending him back is basically like opening editing software. Nothing properly changes until you hit save and close the program.

Also this was a really good film.

Got it! That makes a ton more sense.

I think the 3D was fantastic for that Quicksilver scene, and a few other neat shots/action sequences, though there was certainly a lot of the movie where it wasn't utilized.

Also, imo, this movie had all of the best parts of First Class (Fassbender, McAvoy, and Lawrence) without the bad parts of it.

First Class planted the seeds for the Xavier/Magneto dynamic, but this movie actually showed them growing into the men they would become.

You know what I would love to watch? Just a straight-up, standalone Magneto movie.

There is so much potential depth to that character that even while he was the main focus of First Class I think it barely scratched the surface.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'd watch a cold war spy movie starting Fassbender.
    And I suppose he could have magnetic powers...

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Just saw this. I... I was not prepared for how good this movie was. Reliable sources had told me it's good, but it was just so much better.

I did not expect anything could heal the scars left by the abomination that was X3, but this movie did it.

MSL59.jpg
  • RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular
    I'm so excited to watch this film, even more after so many of you liked it pretty much.

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Man, they didn't pull any punches with the future sentinels...some real brutal fighting there.

Just got back from it. My favorite X-men movie to date.
    A lady next to me literally said out loud "Oh thank you Jesus" when you saw naked Hugh Jackman's ass.

I was waiting for dong

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/21/hugh-jackman-sock-nude-scene-x-men_n_5366445.html

Blame the sock...

RanaVex wrote: »
    I'm so excited to watch this film, even more after so many of you liked it pretty much.

I know I am at serious risk of over-hyping this movie, but it definitely places highly on my list of favorite superhero movies of all time.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    RanaVex wrote: »

I know I am at serious risk of over-hyping this movie, but it definitely places highly on my list of favorite superhero movies of all time.

I can't tell if it's just really darn good or if my nostalgia for the old DOFP 90s X-men being mixed with how awesome I thought First Class was is interfering with my interpretation.

steam_sig.png
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I really really really enjoyed it, even though I already knew what was going to happen and how it was going to end it was just so tense throughout. Such a good job was done with this movie.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen trailers of this movie yet and I probably won't end up seeing the movie anytime soon, but one simple question-is it Kitty Pryde who goes back in time or did they even change that basic concept? Also, I still can't fathom how they got an entire movie out of a story arc that is all of two comics.

Crayon wrote: »
    I haven't seen trailers of this movie yet and I probably won't end up seeing the movie anytime soon, but one simple question-is it Kitty Pryde who goes back in time or did they even change that basic concept? Also, I still can't fathom how they got an entire movie out of a story arc that is all of two comics.

Very slight spoilers:
    Pryde sends Wolverine's consciousness back in time to '73. He basically possesses his younger self's body.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I'm digging that the person wanting to eradicate mutants is the way he is because of mutated genes. Did he have blue eyes too? Did it show him drinking milk?

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I'm digging that the person wanting to eradicate mutants is the way he is because of mutated genes. Did he have blue eyes too? Did it show him drinking milk?

That's never implied in anyway or even hinted at.

steam_sig.png
    Shawnasee wrote: »

That's never implied in anyway or even hinted at.

I think he's referring to his unusual height, which would be the product of a genetic mutation at some point in his family tree.

Of course, in the Marvel comics when they say "mutant" they mean "somebody with an active X-gene, you know the one, the one that lets them completely violate all the existing rules of of physics/biology/chemistry."

I think it can just be understood that there exists a slight difference between the two uses of the word.

Regarding Trask's motivation:
    It surprised me that the fact he's a little person wasn't hinted at playing into his anti-mutant sentiment at all, as that would seem like such an obvious route to take the character. While I found Trask's actual stated motivation kind of "meh" I actually found the fact that they completely ignored him being a little person as much more respectful to Dinklage as an actor.

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    he is such a good actor

I do think it would've madle a little bit more sense plotwise to play up the I hate myself angle.

Harbringer197 on
    edited May 2014
    this is going to sound a little mean but he is such a good actor that you don't really notice his uniqueness.

I do think it would've madle a little bit more sense plotwise to play up the I hate myself angle.

I don't see it as self hatred. Someone mentioned it way back when he was cast and I like the hypothesis better that when Trask (presumably) heard Magneto going about mutant superiority and needing to wipe out everyone that wasn't necessary he probably saw himself first up against the wall dues to his condition.

Quid on