As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    For those that were eying the show-accurate DecaDriver from Bandai's Complete Selection Modification line, you'll be happy to know that pre-ordering is now possible. Besides making it adult-sized and with better materials then the old versions sold to kids, they've recorded new card-calls that weren't in said old versions before, including adding two background tracks from the show into the belt; Parallel World and Decade. And it looks like the equally show-accurate cards created for it will cover every single one used in the show and at least the three movies that aired around the same time of his series; The Onigashima Warship 'crossover' with Den-O, All-Riders and the first Movie Wars. Plus there's a subtitled video showing off the Driver, featuring Decade's actor Masahiro Inoue himself alongside a man with a familiar voice to fans of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9rox1t94eDg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Sorry for the double-post but new scans have popped up. First up, actual shots of Drive's first Type-change and what Viral Cores do for Mashin Chaser.
    nvOadkE.jpg4c3G786.jpg

Here's Type Wild. As seen with the toy, the tire shifts from being slung across Drive's chest to being attached to Drive's shoulder, letting him use it to help shoulder-check anyone. It appears as if Wild will use it's own selection of Tire-Change Shift Cars rather then share ones with Speed. So far, Wild's selection includes Hooking Wrecker (which gives Drive a towing cable), Rumble Dump (which curiously gives him a drill despite the SC being based on a dumptruck) and Mad Doctor (which gives Drive a defibrillator paddle on a wire).

HTITGaB.jpg

Meanwhile, Mashin Chaser will be adding to his arsenal by using his personal trio of Viral Core SCs to gain weapons based on their animal types; Bat, Spider and Cobra.

Next, scans for MW: Full Throttle reveal more antagonists for the movie as well as a new Lockseed.
    LKoTSWZ.jpg

It looks like both Gaim's and Drive's portions of the movie will have a pair of villains to deal with. First up is Megahex, an alien machine which seems to be targeting worlds and tangles with Kouta when he first attacks Kouta and Mai's Helheim-world and then goes after Earth. Rumors say that even with the immense power Kouta has now, it isn't enough to defeat Megahex.

Pki8F33.jpg
    ERsDUMQ.jpgp1Mo5bm.jpg

Which is bad seeing as it looks like one of the first things Megahex does on Earth is bring Ryoma Sengoku back to life as a cyborg and possibly grant him (if Ryoma doesn't make it himself) the Dragonfruit Energy Lockseed (tagged as ELS-HEX), siccing him on the city as Dragon Arms Duke. As you can tell though, Ryugen won't be facing him alone as the original Zangetsu does indeed come back to make up for the identity's last battle in the series.

9OwiwVJ.jpg

As for Drive's portion, here's Cyberroid ZZZ. He's apparently an enhanced Roidmude that's connected to Kamen Rider Lupin somehow. It's said that Lupin somehow can resist the effects of Slowdown without the need of a SC. If so, it may be due to ZZZ though it's not clear if they're working together or not.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    New Drive Type:
    I'm having a similar reaction to the one I had when Fourze's suit was first revealed. When I first saw Fourze, I said "He'd better headbutt some guys or I'll be really mad and hate it." And he did, and it was glorious.

I'm looking at this and saying "He'd better shoulder check some guys or I'll be really mad and hate it." And I bet he will, and I bet it will be glorious.

• Options
    Thanks to a couple of pictures being taken of the packaging for the toy Driver of Drive's 2nd Rider, we have the first clear shot of said Rider.
    eRm9e4o.jpg

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I would love these suits if it wasn't for all the big wheels killing the design

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    New episode.
    It's whole lot of shoulder checking! Type Wild looks pretty good in motion.

Adellios on
  • Options
    Adellios wrote: »
    New episode.
    It's whole lot of shoulder checking! Type Wild looks pretty good in motion.
    It's everything I wanted. Too bad Rumble Dump's drill isn't shoulder mounted, though - a shoulder drill check would be amazing.

Also, um...Mad Doctor is scary yo.

• Options
    Hey folks, new scans are up which show off two more new Types for Drive that much like Wild was made known by name shortly before the show began. You can check them out in the boxes below.

Series:
    bmjaLtW.jpg

Drive's third Type is Technique. Not much is know about it's capabilities so far other then it's tire being placed in what some might say is a poor spot at around Drive's shoulders. It's Shift Car is a six-wheeled vehicle and it looks like six wheels will be the theme of the SCs that are best used with Technique much like how Wild's most suited for beefy four-wheelers. Two of said new SCs for Technique will be Rolling Gravity, a steamroller which gives Drive a weight to toss around and Fire Braver, a firetruck which allows Drive to extend a mini-ladder from the Tire for long-range hits.

RCYSA0u.jpg

Unlocking Technique will also grant the Trideron a new form much like Wild did. In this case it alters itself into a six-wheeled tank-form with gripper claws.

jekjzWq.jpg

Drive is going to need all the Types and SCs he can get his hands on (as well as the new Door-Gun) as it looks like he'll be having a big fight with Heart shortly after getting Technique. If the picture in the corner is any indication, this won't be Heart's first fight with a Drive. Could it be that he was the one who took down Proto-Drive?

Full Throttle:
    0A5N1le.jpg
    XSOqGpA.jpg

At long last, Type Fruits and Drive Arms have been revealed. As seen, Fruits looks to be a blue and orange reskin of Speed with some additional effects. With this form, Drive finds himself armed with Gaim's Musou Saber and Orange Arms' Daidaimaru. Meanwhile, Drive Arms in turn (no pun intended) gives Gaim Drive's Handle Sword for his personal use.

Y4pnmu7.jpg

As for Lupin, it looks as if having his own version of the Break Gunner isn't the only thing he stole (perhaps literally) from the Roidmudes as he also has his own personal Viral Core SC, the Lupin Blade. It looks as Mashin Chaser has indeed taken some offense to his gear being copied and goes gunning for Lupin.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    OOO is one of the best examples of how the plot flounders in this 52 episode shows. Great start, slows down in the middle...nothing happens to advance the plot, but there's lots of twists with no impact...then all of a sudden the last 4-6 episodes have to cram in all the plot they forgot about in the middle. So while I really like lots of parts of it, as a whole it's not a great season. The final two episodes are a back and forth of bests and worsts, which is very disorienting.
    The great climax moment of Eiji absorbing all the medals to do the final nuke attack!

Followed by the villain no-selling it for no real reason.

And then they just quickly move on to trying to wrap up another loose end and come up with another even more final attack.

Some of OOOs floundering is likely because that big earthquake and tsunami hit in the middle of production.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The break that caused during Madoka was excruciating.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the two things that threw off OOO were the earthquake and the audience reaction to Date. He was only supposed to be around for a handful of episodes, but everyone loved him so they kept him on for basically the rest of the show.

That didn't necessarily cause the floundering, but it certainly offset certain events and probably messed with the flow.

• Options
    I feel I may have been not representing Super Sentai well in this thread. Let me fix that with what looks to be the first look at the next Super Sentai team.
    dqonQOI.jpg

Say hello to Shuriken Sentai Ninninger!

In Kamen Rider news, it looks like Gaim will expand it's story with a pair of direct-to-video movies, one centered on Baron and the other on Zangetsu. The release date for both is looks to be in late April 2015. And speaking of movies...

HMmWXe2.jpg

Tetsuo Kurata is returning to the role of Kohtaro Minami AKA Kamen Rider Black/Black-RX in a Kamen Rider movie set sometime next year. No clue though if this will be for Drive's solo movie or another Superhero Taisen sequel.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Ya know, I've never really watched any Sentai, they seemed less focused since they have more "main characters" and also more goofy overall, and the giant robots get sooo clusterfucked

There's that one with just three "mains" where they're secret agents I think, seemed like the one I would be most interested in

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    GoBusters started well, but ultimately fell apart for me.

I was a big fan of KyoRyuger but apparently people hated it?

If you want a good starter Sentai, Gokaiger is where it's at. It's a top-notch anniversary series without sacrificing its own plot and characterizations. The suits and mech designs are all mostly good, too.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    GoBuster is really weird, so it will either be great and you won't like other sentai, or a bad representation of the other sentai shows.

Gokaiger is a great anniversary show and an amazing season on top of that. If you know a bit about PR/sentai you'll get half the jokes, and just skim the episode notes for the more obscure references. Basically if they feature an actor you don't recognize or zoom in on someone for no reason, they were in an older show.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Inx wrote: »

If you want a good starter Sentai, Gokaiger is where it's at. It's a top-notch anniversary series without sacrificing its own plot and characterizations. The suits and mech designs are all mostly good, too.

What? People didn't hated Kyoryuger. The worst that I've read is that is VERY Red-focused, specially later and that it basically tells shippers to get bent, but besides that it was great, very liked, the toys sold like hotcakes (which, ultimately, is what it matters).

Toqger kind of looks lame in comparison. I stopped watching it at 28 or so.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Inx wrote: »

What? People didn't hated Kyoryuger. The worst that I've read is that is VERY Red-focused, specially later and that it basically tells shippers to get bent, but besides that it was great, very liked, the toys sold like hotcakes (which, ultimately, is what it matters).

Toqger kind of looks lame in comparison. I stopped watching it at 28 or so.

Awww, you were four episodes away from the big plot twist of the series.

• Options
    I could NOT get into Toqger. I like the color change gimmick, but the suits just looked awful and the mech is a blocky stack of trains. I could get past a bad mech for good suits but...nope.

The characters didn't resonate with me either, but I'm always willing to give more leeway and put more effort into a show with good suits.

• Options
    It has the Gekiranger problem: The villains are more interesting than the heroes.

And Gekiranger was a show with Mele so....

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Info on the character behind Drive's secondary Rider and his actor has come out!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBwdPPM7Cc

Mach's secret identity is Go Shijima, AKA Kiriko Shijima's little brother. According to a post at Henshin Justice, he supposedly has 'a cheerful personality' and his background has him going overseas as a cameraman after high-school only to return home 'due to urgent business'. If further translations are legit, Mach/Go will appear in Episode 12, "Where Did That White Kamen Rider Come From?". Mach/Go is played by Yu Inaba.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Stumbled on a forum thread complaining about Toqger and the "big plot twist" is evident by the festival episode. And the problem with making the villains more interesting than the heroes is that the camera is most of the time on the heroes. Then again, perhaps is that the comedy simply falls flat for me. I pretty much stopped watching Double (Gasp! I know) because I couldn't stand Akiko.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    I would say that the draw of Toqger is that the villains are so interesting. Their designs are pretty great and I just love the parts of the story that expand on them. The heroes are pretty average but I'm loving the show, although the episodes between story beats are just kinda slogging through I admit.

On the other hand Drive has yet to really grab me. Gaim is hard to follow up on though.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    Drive so far is W with a weaker main and better girl. Tomari has the potential to become more interesting, and it's hard to tell how good the villains could be, Heart and Brain seem interesting but haven't had much screentime, Chaser has gotten most of the spotlight, which is fine because he's my favorite part of the show so far

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Better image of Shuriken Sentai Nininger:
    ue77i75fh34b.jpg

I love the lamps on the robot's shoulders. Now that's an interesting design.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    So Type Technic is awkward as hell in motion. I like the idea behind it but jesus they could not have placed the tire in a worse spot.

• Options
    They placed all the tires in the worst spots because they all look terrible

And the new secondary Rider looks great except again for the dumb shit hanging from his shoulder

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Gonna be honest, all the Drive designs besides Type Speed look like butts. The Roimuude designs are kinda cool but otherwise this season hasn't quite grabbed me yet.

p4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I do like Type Speed and I'm warming up to Type Wild. Still not sure on Type Technic, maybe its the screechy robot noises. Waiting for the eventual announcement of four-wheel Drive or maybe all-wheel Drive. It's probably going to happen.

Supposedly Mach next weekend, I'm sure this will be the deciding point for some people.

Adellios on
  • Options
    Actually news about the next two Types are known. The first I've mentioned here before in the same post involving the 2nd Rider's first spotting in a toy catalog. The next after it...
    dgadvQI.jpg

...is Type Formula, based on a F1 race-car. According to a silhouette of it's action figure, it sports TWO tires rather then one which are located by Drive's lower arms.

HaAmBbD.jpgCJ6K6L0.jpg

The new Type brings a special weapon for it, the Trailer Cannon. While it's not completely clear, the weapon works with three special Shift Cars based on pit-crew tools; Mantann, Jack and Spanner.

Also, more news about the next Superhero Taisen movie has come and it looks to be once again focused more on the Riders, a claim easily said due to the 'new' Rider appearing in the movie.
    0hddBiq.jpg

As it turns out, the film, Superhero Taisen GP, will revolve around the TRUE third Kamen Rider, Kamen Rider 3. The character was used in a short manga story made by franchise-creator Shotaro Ishinomori which was set between the original KR series and V3's before disappearing into obscurity.

fzEn2f3.jpg

And much like Drive and Black RX, 3 used a car instead of a bike, the Tricyclone. So far, it's not know exactly what else the moive is going to be about or if KR-3 will be on the side of the heroes or acting as the film's antagonist.

• Options
    Scans for future Toqger stuff:
    ToQger-Emperor-Z-ToQ-1-Black.jpg
    Apparently Emperor Z gets his own Toqger form with Toq-1 Black. Which is half of what I was hoping they'd do. I was convinced that Z would be a Toqger but I was hoping for a Toq-0 in purple to complete the rainbow. Since he wears white and purple I figured that would be his color scheme. I am a little disappointed that it's just sparkly black. But I am excited to see where the last few episodes go.

p4.png
  • Options
    New news on the upcoming direct-to-video Gaim movie that'll be focused on Baron and Zangetsu has appeared, revealing that the movie will have not just new Lockseeds but new Riders as well!
    sug7U1z.jpg

As hoped by some fans, Baron will get his hands on the Golden Apple Lockseed or at least it's counterpart in the film, the Forbidden Apple Lockseed. Seeing as it bears the same look and weapons as the Golden Apple version, it's most likely that this is the main-timeline version of the Lockseed as the Golden Apple originated in the altered Soccer War reality created by the actions of the Femushinmu known as Lapis in the Gaim solo-movie. Meanwhile, Zangetsu gets his own new Lockseed in the form of the Watermelon Lockseed. As the Lockseed's cover hints at, this is a prototype version of the Sukia Lockseed which grants Zangetsu an altered version of his Melon Arms shield that has the addition of a gatling-gun at the end.

HIFmfSt.jpgPGMK66M.jpg

As for the new Riders, they're known as Kamen Rider Tyrant and Kamen Rider Eden, the former using the Dragonfruit Lockseed (which could make it the first appearance of the Lockseed within the show's timeline as this movie's supposedly set prior to MW: Full Throttle) while the latter's armed with the Forbidden Apple Lockseed. Outside of their appearance and Lockseeds, it's not yet known what their identities and motivations within the film are.

• Options
    They placed all the tires in the worst spots because they all look terrible

And the new secondary Rider looks great except again for the dumb shit hanging from his shoulder

See, I don't mind the Type Speed and Wild tires nearly as much as I thought I would. Different strokes, I guess.

And I barely even notice the shoulder bit on Mach. I'm too busy being stoked for the fact that he looks like Evel god damn Knievel.

• Options
    Watched the first episode of Kyoryuger the other day just to see what Sentai is like these days. I'm not sure what's going on but there's dinosaurs everywhere and a birdman so I guess I'll keep watching.

• Options
    I loved the SHIT out of Kyoryuger. The suits, the characters, the birdman. It's actually the first sentai in which I loved all of the mecha as well - in previous shows I would be lucky if I liked one or two of them, but in Kyoryuger I loved them all.

Show is fun as hell. I wish I liked Toqger at all cuz I'm jonesing for some sentai action. Gaim scratched that itch for a little while because there were SO MANY RIDERS, but now with Drive I'm going into suit withdrawals.

Also for Christmas my friends got me the SHF Gaim Kachidoki Arms figure and it's probably one of the hypest toys ever made.

• Options
    I'm hyped for SHF Mashin Chaser, though I wish he came with his shift car weapons

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Actors for the new characters showing up in Gaim Gaiden have been announced earlier this week and one of them may please fans of an earlier Kamen Rider series.
    CQDvIGA.jpg

Kamen Rider Idunn (AKA Eden) is Touka Akatsuki, played by Sayuri Iwata. She's a maid for the Kureshima household who somehow is able to control the dimensional Cracks between Earth and Helheim though it's not clear if this is an innate ability or something to do with the Forbidden Apple Lockseed.

N73djWN.jpg

Kamen Rider Tyrant is a man named Alfred, played by Gamon Kaai. Alfred is a butler to a visiting dignitary to Zawame, a dignitary who seems to bear a resemblance to Kaito. Alfred possibly has ties to the monster seen in the scan which is said to be a new Overlord.

EWAWVVY.jpg

The big surprise of the casting is the return of Minori Terada to Kamen Rider. Fans of Double will recognize him as Ryubei Sonozaki, the leader of the Museum. He plays a similar role in the form of Amaki Kureshima, Takatora and Micchy's father. He's the one who taught Takatora the idea of 'Noblesse Oblige' as well as started the investigation into Helheim.

05LtWd2.jpgSMqs2if.jpg
    1I8w6IK.jpgL9kd33Q.jpg

• Options
    Nice Gouf Custom chaingun shield

I'll take a Figuarts of each one please

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    HOLY SHIT SONOZAKI RYUUBEI

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So, I was convinced to pop my Kamen Rider cherry with Gaim. I'm halfway through it, semi-marathoning it, and I have to ask:

Are all Kamen Rider series this fucking fantastically amazing or is this some exception to the rule?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    So, I was convinced to pop my Kamen Rider cherry with Gaim. I'm halfway through it, semi-marathoning it, and I have to ask:

Are all Kamen Rider series this fucking fantastically amazing or is this some exception to the rule?

It varies, Gaim is generally considered a pretty good one.

This discussion has been closed.