As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread: FF XV on Siesta, Partake in the Fiesta.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm really liking the character designs in FFXV that I'm seeing so far. They look like clothes someone might actually wear. I don't care for the wardrobe explosion look that's been popular for the past decade or so. I'm looking at you, Tidus.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The translation is a little dubuious, as some people are suggesting that the line wasn't "a big surprise FF fans will look forward to" but instead says "FF fans will be pleased by the game once they finish the demo".
    Frankly, that would be a pretty big surprise.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm wondering how much I should trust that note about the plot being simple.

I've seen a few games that start with an ostensibly simple and stereotypical goal, like "go to the four elemental shrines to unlock the tower of salvation!"...

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    My last day...before retirement.

Evil overlord take over.

Simple.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Theatrhythm, you're a dick. How do you show credits like that with some pretty bumpin' music... and then not make them playable in some form or another?!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    A few FF games start with a simple premise. None of them stay simple for long. I don't think the road trip thing will last long either.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I've seen a few games that start with an ostensibly simple and stereotypical goal, like "go to the four elemental shrines to unlock the tower of salvation!"...

I'm guessing it'll be the same.

Mission starts out simple enough.

Then shit gets real.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    just gotta hope it ends with something more "travel to the unnatural moon to stop a physical manifestation of hatred" and a little less "space pope outta nowhere gonna kill everybody"

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

I'm guessing it'll be the same.

Mission starts out simple enough.

Then shit goes to the moon, inside a tree, or back in time.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Time travel 2000 years in the past to the moon tree that's also sentient and wants to return everything to the void.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    What are the odds of there being a PS4 + FF15 bundle? I thought I could survive this generation on just Nintendo + PC but seeing more of FF15 and knowing KH3 and Disgaea 5 are on the horizon is getting real hard to resist.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I would say its probably decent actually.

There were like 100 different bundles last gen, FFXIII getting one itself.

Forgot if that one was Japan only though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    For an interesting effect, I'd suggest trying to play Theatrythm with your right eye closed.

• Options
    Okay, Theaterhythm? One request.

When I'm in battle mode, sitting pretty at full health with an opponent at 50% or less? Stop triggering HP Swap as my EX Burst!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    ff7-gbike_140921.jpg

Man...seeing Nomura draw Cloud in a new outfit....

It's kind of a trippy thing to behold.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It looks like actual riding clothes someone would wear.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    That bike's a piece of crap compared to Fenrir though.

If Square does a Jetpack Joyride method of adding lots of outfits and bike models in addition to summoning party members....it's a shameless iOS cash-in, but at least this one appears to have actual EFFORT put into it.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am back into FF12. Hopefully, I will finish it.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    http://youtu.be/IoitFRPU6Ak

Boy, this is going to sting. I'd be just fine with a remake in this engine.

Game looks fun though, and the vid confirms multiple unlockables.

Also I need a translation for the Q&A cuz these bastards start yelling "Remake!" while laughing.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am very sad these songs aren't in Curtain Call:

Real Emotion
    Vamo Alla Flamenco
    Eyes On Me (was in the original game, wtf)
    Liberi Fatali
    The Landing
    Somnus (was DLC in the original game)

They get props for including You're Not Alone! though, at least.

Krathoon wrote: »

Zodiac Job System or 'everyone ends up exactly the same' original version?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I was cleaning up some stuff earlier and I came across my Crystal Bearers disc.

I may be in the minority here, but man I wish that game had done better so I could get a sequel. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I may be in the minority here, but man I wish that game had done better so I could get a sequel. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

A stupidly fun and silly game? :D

Square kinda released it with zero advertising right at Christmas.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

A stupidly fun and silly game? :D

Square kinda released it with zero advertising right at Christmas.

Yeah, I liked that game too. It shut me down right at the end, unfortunately. Stupid waggling to power the car, never did manage to pass it.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    There are SOOOO many games from Square-enix here that never make it out of Japan. At TGS every company hands out really nice "line up" magazines/pamplets. SE's has a good 15-20 games that I never knew about. I think 3 of them were Final Fantasy titles as well. Like Final Fantasy Explorers, a Monster Hunter meets FF sorta thing for 3DS... no international release mentioned. Some new Secret of Mana... some game that sorta looks like a wanna be Persona.

Most of them are just mobile/tablet games though.... so blah.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Hell of a good game. Incredible atmosphere. I want to marry the voice of the lady who does the narration. The only thing that really bothers me about that game is needing to use the link cable thing and a gameboy advanced.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Hell of a good game. Incredible atmosphere. I want to marry the voice of the lady who does the narration. The only thing that really bothers me about that game is needing to use the link cable thing and a gameboy advanced.

Crystal Bearers was the physics based game. Crystal Chronicles was the GC game with the GBA link up. CC was great. I really wished I could have played that with a full 4 people to the end, and I'm in a rather odd situation where I'm gathering the pieces from eBay in the futile hope I'll be able to get 3 other people to play it ;_;

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I've picked up FFX again after pausing for a while due to the grind for stats to beat Penance. Originally I only wanted to do whats necessary, but after discovering that both Earth Eater and Ironclad can be beaten by a turbo controller I've decided to go for *max* stats.

Meaning

HP 99999
    MP 9999
    Attack 255
    Defense 255
    Magic 255
    M Defense 255
    Agility 170
    Accuracy 0
    Evasion 60
    Luck 230

It... went surprisingly fast. Started friday and am now nearly finished with only a few hp nodes left. After that I will beat Penance and enjoy a *complete* save file for once. :)

• Options
    Crystal Bearers is just... It's okay, but there was so much more potential in its premise and gimmick than it displayed.

And I'm irrationally angry at the way the main character displays really cool and useful uses of his power whenever you go into cutscenes.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Badwrong wrote: »
    There are SOOOO many games from Square-enix here that never make it out of Japan. At TGS every company hands out really nice "line up" magazines/pamplets. SE's has a good 15-20 games that I never knew about. I think 3 of them were Final Fantasy titles as well. Like Final Fantasy Explorers, a Monster Hunter meets FF sorta thing for 3DS... no international release mentioned. Some new Secret of Mana... some game that sorta looks like a wanna be Persona.

Most of them are just mobile/tablet games though.... so blah.

Final Fantasy Explorers hasn't been officially announced for NA/EU I don't think, but Square has trademarked the name in both those locations.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It feels like a lot of games are taking forever to get western release confirmations. Bravely Second for example. Are you going to make Nintendo do your job for you again SE?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I just watched all of the previous FFXV/VersusXIII trailers. I think. There are a lot of them!

I'm noticing common threads between them and the most recently footage and info.

Namely, the idea of the road trip has been around since close to the beginning. Not the VERY beginning, maybe, since all we had to go on was Noctis killing soldiers in front of the building. But yeah, there are plenty of shots of a car (not a convertible) with Noctis, Prompto, Gladiolus, and Ignis inside. Same seating arrangement, too.

The premise seems to be consistent across all the videos, too. Invading force does something bad, Noctis and Co. then go on the run/on a road trip to get their crystal back. Videos of when it was still for PS3 show a 3-man party, but it looks like that's been bumped to 4 now.

And now I'm even more convinced that there is a whole other half of this game that has only been hinted at. That being Stella and her group. It's really likely that the game will also follow Stella, who seems to have powers similar to Noctis. Not just in terms of combat, but also the ability to see the "light" of expiring souls, whatever that means. I think it's highly likely that the game will switch back and forth between Noctis and is group and Stella and hers. Probably until the groups join up later, if XV follows typical Final Fantasy structure.

But I'm not sure what to think of this "Luna" that was mentioned in the last trailer. Maybe we'll follow her group instead of Stella's? Who knows.

• Options
    Notes on FFXV's controls (at this time):
    Again, please don't take as gospel. These are the some of the notes.

- Attack, defend, switch weapon mechanic, magic and teleportation. Two face buttons, three shoulder buttons. Access to one spell, Fire.

- No real point of comparison with the battle system. No jump button in demo. No idea if available in final. Press attack to hit, and hold to string attacks. Defence operates the same. Hold defence to take defensive stance and evade enemies. Can also hold defence and move using the analog. Potential for timed defences in more cluttered battles maybe. Movement entirely in player's control.

- Switching mechanic can be implemented before an attack or in the midst of an attack. Start heavy and strong, go light and fast etc.

- Teleportation works by holding the trigger to target, then releasing which implements the ability. Able to string teleportation and attacks together, with switching mechanic also. Can target enemies or certain points/objects for teleportation. Teleportation available outside of battle. Can't just teleport anywhere.

- Magic similar to teleportation. Hold to charge, target, cast. You can switch targets like teleportation.

- Battle system is based on movement and offence. You move and attack, move and defend. Constantly alternate between attacking, defending, switching mechanic, mixed with teleportation and magic for added flair. Attacks become more varied by switching mechanic. Example: Press Attack, Hold Attack, Switch, Press Attack, Switch, Press Attack, Teleport, Hold Attack, Switch, Teleport etc. Feels cinematic/flashy and plays well. Good potential here for combinations in big battles with more spells/abilities and teleportation.

- Missing meters for abilities and magic as well as UI. Not final. Must be in the final game in some form as no limitations in demo, constantly teleporting and abusing magic.

- Not indicative of the final product. A lot of work yet to be done. More customisation for magic and abilities, and they're still tinkering with the controls for the best overall feeling.

- Combat has a certain weight to it, but it's not slow at all. Feels good, responsive, quick. Game goes into battle mode when threat is detected. Seamless transition.

- Only controlled Noctis, but final game will allow control of characters other than Noctis. No demonstration of this.

Control scheme on the above demo:

R2 = Teleport
    L2 = Fire
    L1 = Weapon Switch Mechanic
    Circle = Attack
    X = Defend
    L3 = Movement
    R3 = Camera

This should give you a decent idea of how the demo in the notes was played.

Some points of difference from above and what they've shown here in the stream demo:

1. No magic targeting indicator anymore from the looks of it. Has this been replaced by automatic lock-on, or is it not present because they're changing how it looks or something? I don't know.
    2. There is some form of UI in what they showed now, which wasn't there before. I believe this is not command based due to how the battle system is. One row for each member likely which tells you current actions. You could probably access item or summons off this by pressing back or forward. Again, I don't know this for fact.
    3. Further note on the magic. In the demo in the notes, you press L2 to cast. No other button. I imagine in the final game, this will be like Kingdom Hearts instead so you have access to other magic. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Again, pure speculation.

The following is all speculation of what I thought it could possibly be like based of the hands-on:

L2 = Magic (+ either Triangle, Circle, Square, or X)
    L1 = Weapon Switch Mechanic
    R2 = Teleport (or different unique ability for other characters)
    R1 = Switch Playable Character
    Triangle = Limit Break / Special Attack
    Square = Request Ally Assist
    Circle = Attack / Enter (for Item or Summon Menu)
    X = Defend / Cancel (for Item or Summon Menu)
    L3 = Movement
    R3 = Camera
    D-Pad:
    Up = Cover
    Left = Access Item Menu (off UI)
    Right = Access Summon Menu (off UI)
    Down = Taunt...

The above control scheme is what I kind of imagined. Noctis uses teleport, switching mechanic, magic and attack to chain attacks.

Other characters would have their own unique ability or play style. For example, for Prompto, shooting is auto-lock on target. You press R2 quickly to change target, or keep it pressed to take manual aim. He could possibly use the switching mechanic also but change to different types of guns. You would still press Circle once for a quick shot, or keep it pressed for continuous shots and then use the switching mechanic to change up your attacks.

Maybe Ignis or Gladiolus receive some other type of ability for R2.

If you access the Item or Summon menu, you have to cancel out of the Item/Summon menu before you can start attacking again, since you're using the same button for enter.

For customisation, I'm hoping for some form of AI settings. You should be able to set them to offensive or defensive, and also give them some form of priority on magic attacks in battle situations. This way, you can balance your party with more defensive and offensive members. In addition to this, you should have some separate customisation for their magic and abilities, so if you take control of them manually, you'll have access to what you set.

This is the battle system I've kind of envisioned in mind for a while now, but chances are I'm completely wrong. It's a lot of speculation based on a barebones experience.

One other thing I hoped for was that we'd be able to activate battle mode manually. If battle mode is activated via threat maybe, then it doesn't need to activate automatically if it's just peaceful animals or beasts. This gives some balance in not every monster being a threat. Some may only become one because you start a fight. You can then explore some places a bit more peacefully and just look, like Jurassic Park. However, if you're a dick, you could press L1 or something to activate the battle menu and start killing the peaceful animals also. The way to control this would be that the battle menu can only be activated when you're in the presence of animals/beasts that can be attacked or are fight compatible. I would really like something like this.

Sounds good so far. Sword teleporting seems to cost MP, so you won't be able to do that all willy-nilly at the beginning.
    Renzo wrote: »

Namely, the idea of the road trip has been around since close to the beginning. Not the VERY beginning, maybe, since all we had to go on was Noctis killing soldiers in front of the building. But yeah, there are plenty of shots of a car (not a convertible) with Noctis, Prompto, Gladiolus, and Ignis inside. Same seating arrangement, too.

The premise seems to be consistent across all the videos, too. Invading force does something bad, Noctis and Co. then go on the run/on a road trip to get their crystal back. Videos of when it was still for PS3 show a 3-man party, but it looks like that's been bumped to 4 now.

Yeah. The bit where Noctis is sleeping in a throne and proceeding to slaughter a bunch of soldiers was touted as a flash-forward, to let players start the game with a souped-up, supposedly merciless Noctis. I also recall Nomura saying that by the final portion of the game, your character would be even more powerful than how he started in the beginning.

Hopefully they still have that narrative progression in mind. I really hope no compromises were made in the original story plan. This game has been touted forever as "the most tragic Final Fantasy ever", and I still want that to be the case.
    And now I'm even more convinced that there is a whole other half of this game that has only been hinted at. That being Stella and her group. It's really likely that the game will also follow Stella, who seems to have powers similar to Noctis. Not just in terms of combat, but also the ability to see the "light" of expiring souls, whatever that means.

If I recall, it means that they can see when someone's about to die (Xenoblade?). Noctis inherited the ability due to a near-death experience he had as a child.

I'm also convinced Stella will have her own route, and will also account for the desired female quotient in the game. But more importantly, I want her to have her own areas in order to flesh out the story; Noctis can focus on areas beyond the city, while Stella's story remains within its borders in order to flesh out the kingdoms more.
    But I'm not sure what to think of this "Luna" that was mentioned in the last trailer. Maybe we'll follow her group instead of Stella's? Who knows.

All we know about Luna is that she's one of the principal characters in the story. It's unknown yet if it's a separate character we haven't seen yet, a nickname for Stella, etc.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I bought Theatrhythm today without knowing that they have an all-button input style of play if you wish to go that way

Which, just

Yes, I absolutely want to go that way, holy shit yes

So happy right now

• Options
    I bought Theatrhythm today without knowing that they have an all-button input style of play if you wish to go that way

Which, just

So happy right now

Have you used the stylus input mode before?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Which, just

So happy right now

Yes, I played the original

It worked okay but button presses are always going to be preferable to a stylus when dealing with the tight timing of a music game

That's why I always wished Rhythm Heaven had a button press mode like the Japanese GBA one did

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Which, just

So happy right now

Even though I enjoyed the stylus only mode from the first game, I have to admit I'm loving the button mode even more.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Which, just

So happy right now

Yes, I played the original

It worked okay but button presses are always going to be preferable to a stylus when dealing with the tight timing of a music game

That's why I always wished Rhythm Heaven had a button press mode like the Japanese GBA one did

Button mode gets a bit hairy on ultimate mode. I think I prefer the stylus mode myself.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have been doing curtain call with one hand mode simply because it seems novel. So far it's been easy enough once I got used to it.

Unlocking the character I want seems to be taking forever though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    I'm super happy with the new model for unlocking characters it's so much quicker than the first. For the control scheme I've mainly been doing stylus since I'm used to it, toyed around with the others at least enough to get the trophies, the Analog stick is super useful on slide triggers, but the button control style does feel a bit weird on hold triggers.

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Krathoon wrote: »

Zodiac Job System or 'everyone ends up exactly the same' original version?

Totally did not know of the Zodiac system. I'll have to check into it.

Edit: Nope. I have the US version. Does not have it.

Krathoon on
This discussion has been closed.