As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pax Prime 2014 Challenge Coin - Orders closed. Sign up to be notified for next year.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    How have we not had the Paramount facade on the coin yet? Holy crap! I had totally forgotten about that.

• Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

Something like that angle, minus the fingers, the 25cents, and the..space squid? and add a better coin and just "Insert Coin to Play"

I dunno, I kind of like the space squid.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    I, too, would love to see the Paramount facade—I know that's the Seattle landmark I get the most face time with at PAX by far. :)

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ai Ai Ai!

pax
    clt
  • Options
    smashilatorsmashilator Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

Something like that angle, minus the fingers, the 25cents, and the..space squid? and add a better coin and just "Insert Coin to Play"

I dunno, I kind of like the space squid.

Clearly you are their side.

• Options
    krejkrej Registered User regular
    I really like the pinball idea!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Paramount is good. I really liked the King Street Station idea as well. A rendering of the intersection of 1st, Yesler and Cherry (Ie, Pioneer Square proper) may also be cool, with the totem poles and the pergola, to give a shout out to Old Seattle.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    RaajTMRaajTM CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'd be all for the monorail with EMP in the background, think it'd be awesome since every time I'm in Seattle monorail gets me to most my destinations with ease.

Just throwing some other ideas out there, Pike's Place Market would be a really good one right? And throwing this in for silliness.. Bubble Gum Wall with texture to the coin.

Either way, been impressed with the coin designs in previous years, so have my support! Hopefully there won't be a repeat of last years batch "disappearing".

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Since we have had several good ideas posted for the Seattle Landmark, and in the interest of time, I have gone ahead and created the voting form:

Vote for the Seattle Landmark to be used on the Pax Prime 2014 Challenge Coin

The choices are in Alphabetical order:

- Century Link Field
    - Fremont Troll
    - Monorail w/ EMP
    - Paramount Theatre
    - Pink Elephant Car Wash Sign

This is the Alternate Voting method. If your first choice comes in last then that item is eliminated and your second choice gets your vote. This continues until one item has at least 50% or there is only one left. This will help eliminating the need for multiple votes.

Deadline for voting is Monday June 2nd at 10:00am PDT.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    banghibanghi luddite... CascadiaRegistered User regular
    RaajTM wrote: »
    I'd be all for the monorail with EMP in the background, think it'd be awesome since every time I'm in Seattle monorail gets me to most my destinations with ease.

Honestly I think of the monorail as one the worst forms of public transport in the country. Just a mile long, only goes to Westlake and the Seattle Center. It may seem cool to the non-natives, but I don't know anyone who uses it except to give out of town visitors something to do while hitting the Space Needle. If it has got you to most of your destinations, I suggest branching out and seeing more of what Seattle has to offer this time around. Ballard locks, Pike Place market, the international district, Capitol hill, Freemont, Greenlake... the list goes on.

As for the mock up, it does look slick. I just feel like the monorail is a sad remnant of what could have been had they expanded it to be a viable form of public transportation.

pax
    clt
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    banghi wrote: »
    RaajTM wrote: »

Honestly I think of the monorail as one the worst forms of public transport in the country. Just a mile long, only goes to Westlake and the Seattle Center. It may seem cool to the non-natives, but I don't know anyone who uses it except to give out of town visitors something to do while hitting the Space Needle. If it has got you to most of your destinations, I suggest branching out and seeing more of what Seattle has to offer this time around. Ballard locks, Pike Place market, the international district, Capitol hill, Freemont, Greenlake... the list goes on.

As for the mock up, it does look slick. I just feel like the monorail is a sad remnant of what could have been had they expanded it to be a viable form of public transportation.

Oh no I agree with you, I've been all over Seattle (have a local acquaintance that has taken me and a friend around, ballard locks was awesome to see) so I know the monorail is limited and might be disappointing to those who have never been on it. I just praise it highly because my hotel that I've been using is close by and I can use it to go downtown with out walking very much. So.. I am just happy its there to put me in the hub of it all during PAX.

RaajTM on
  • Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    r3gl6tlngnhf.jpg
    I'm still going to be pushing for the Clink.

Nooooooooo :(

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

• Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    Got my vote in. I voted for CenturyLink first but I'd be happy with any of them. I could see them all looking cool on the coin.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    So I will be the devils advocate. Since this is suppose to be relative to attendees, I'm not sure that the stadium would be a good choice. This will be my third PAX and I don't even remember seeing the stadium. I'm sure we passed it to/from the airport but that's how little it stuck in my memory.

For previous coins the places represented locations that an average attendee would go. Something like the EMP museum or top pot doughnuts would be a lot more relevant.

You'd definitely see it if coming from the train, around Kings Street Station, I have to admit it is pretty impressive especially if you arrive on a game night. Might have seen it, though it'd be a distance away if on I-5 to downtown from airport it'd be on the left side going into it.

And agree, top pot doughnuts! Haha they're awesome

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The Clink, baby, yeaheheah! Easy choice for Seattle's Carl. Though, I saw a mockup on /r/seahawks of the Space Needle with the Lombardi ball on top instead of the saucer. Something like that would be sweet nectar... or doubled up for after we win again next year! Yeah!

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Damn I love these coins. Can't wait to see what we cook up this go round :D

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Haven't yet decided what I'm voting for, but it seems worth pointing out that the Pink Elephant Car Wash showed up in Infamous: Second Son, and a few folks may have strong associations with that.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    OK, had a second idea, it's gonna be hard to explain, and I suck at art, but here goes.

Picture the circle, with a lot of fighting game combos across it, in a big list, with a textured coinslot in the middle, so all of the combos are running across it and forming the shape. Forgive my horrid art skills, and I apologize if anyone goes blind from sheer badness.

2if9aiojtnkm.jpg

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    SantODiablO83SantODiablO83 Registered User regular
    Question: When will these coins be available? Also, how much, and how many can we order? Would love to get some for my office back home. Thanks!

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @SkeleVader‌ awesome as always. Like the new voting method!

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Question: When will these coins be available? Also, how much, and how many can we order? Would love to get some for my office back home. Thanks!

I am aiming to have these in everybody's hand at least a couple weeks before Pax.
    Cost varies, but expect it to be about $10 per coin and $5 shipping.
    You will be able to order as many as you want.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    JadensmithJadensmith Lurker Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    Skelevader thanks for doing this again. You are amazing to do this again after the troubles last year. I voted, but I do have to bring up that I still think Robert Khoo should be on the back. I know traditions and all but I will bring it up every year. But you are awesome can't wait for this years coin.

• Options
    Jadensmith wrote: »
    Skelevader thanks for doing this again. You are amazing to do this again after the troubles last year. I voted, but I do have to bring up that I still think Robert Khoo should be on the back. I know traditions and all but I will bring it up every year. But you are awesome can't wait for this years coin.

Yes, last year was a nightmare and I felt sick to my stomach when we passed the point of no return and the box was never going to turn up.
    I made the best of a bad situation that was out of my control and I think we produced the best looking coin so far (and Pins). I was glad we were able to work it out with PCC and get everyone a replacement.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    AractorAractor Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

I've got to admit, I really like this idea. I think it could look amazing on the coin and fits the arcade theme perfectly.

Also, I would vote to totally keep the space squid. B)

Aractor on
    Attended: Prime 2011, Prime 2012, Prime 13, Prime 2014
    Enforced: West 2015, West 2016
    76561197962492129.png
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I also like the idea of the coin slot. Everyone has a favorite arcade game, and while there are tons of them out there, this can represent them all at the same time.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    Aractor wrote: »
    g0sleu9qkpmb.jpeg

I've got to admit, I really like this idea. I think it could look amazing on the coin and fits the arcade theme perfectly.

Also, I would vote to totally keep the space squid. B)

Squid sympathizers!
    I also like the idea of the coin slot. Everyone has a favorite arcade game, and while there are tons of them out there, this can represent them all at the same time.

Indeed. The slot alone could cover all the favorites people had without people hating on one type or another that they "never liked."

• Options
    SantODiablO83SantODiablO83 Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

I am aiming to have these in everybody's hand at least a couple weeks before Pax.
    Cost varies, but expect it to be about $10 per coin and $5 shipping.
    You will be able to order as many as you want.

Thanks!

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Squid sympathizers!
    For life!

Although it did just occur to me that replacing the squid with a version of the community PAX crest could look pretty slick; if we can capture that level of detail.
    draft3.png
    Or even something more simple like the PAX community shield,
    pax_comm_2012-dice_demo.png

Aractor on
    76561197962492129.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Edit: beaten to the punch!!

Check it out, the space squid could be replaced by our crest, and then we are free to pattern up the coin with whatever we would like.

Such as "admit one: pax" or something.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Results are in for the landmark voting.

Paramount Theatre has won.

Thanks to all who voted. I will start work on a mock up.
    Please post you pictures of the Paramount if you have a good one. It would be cool if we could get a nice one with the line outside.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    ApplezJuiceApplezJuice Modesto, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

East 2016-
    color=green][b]✓[/b][/color Tickets
    [ ] Find a room
    color=green][b]✓[/b][/color Crying to go already
    [ ] Bar Party
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Results are in for the landmark voting.

Paramount Theatre has won.

I am sooo curious how well the other options did. Will you share? ;)

ETA: BTW I am loving the Paramount Theater idea I'm just curious how much love the monorail got after last years discussion.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Sure,

Round 1:
    Century Link 17
    Fremont Troll 12
    Monorail/EMP 10
    Paramount Theatre 20
    Pink Elephant 4

Round 2:
    Century Link 18
    Fremont Troll 12
    Monorail/EMP 12
    Paramount Theatre 21

Round 3:
    Century Link 18
    Fremont Troll 17
    Paramount Theatre 25

Round 4:
    Century Link 22
    Paramount Theatre 31
    Pink Elephant 7
    Monorail/EMP 2

Round 5:
    Century Link 22
    Paramount Theatre 33
    Pink Elephant 7

Paramount now has more than 50% of votes at this point so it wins.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    8nceo7z2atrq.jpg

Minus the construction fence out front and put PAX Prime 2014 on the reader board?

• Options
    That angle probably would not look very good on a coin. I am thinking this might be better:
    zh2czztl.jpg

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That angle probably would not look very good on a coin. I am thinking this might be better:
    zh2czztl.jpg

I like it

smashilator on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's the older Paramount sign technically, but still a great angle.
    http://www.genestout.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/pi_marquee.jpg

Aractor on
    76561197962492129.png
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    Out of all the swag each year, the challenge coins almost always rank near the top. I always appreciate the work you put into this Skelevader!

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    krejkrej Registered User regular
    Jadensmith wrote: »

Isn't Robert Khoo trademarked by PAX, meaning we wouldn't be allowed to use his likeness w/out PAX permission? Do we have a PAX Community representation of Robert Khoo we could use? Are we applying too much awesome to a coin that will already be awesome enough?

• Options
    el pezel pez Registered User new member
    I tried to find the theatre viewed from one of the high rises across the street, but I couldn't find a picture. I should talk my friend who lives nearby into going and taking one...