As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disappear into your virtual world [Sims 3]

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    because of funds im going to hold off on DLC this week, but im going to get University Life and Ambitions next week

Also thanks for the info @Pony !
    Its probably too late for this but is there a way to set from scratch both a male and female sim as parents of two children sims?

I could only put me and my brother under my dad (starting both of us off as children)

Pony do you happen to know if its possible to do this?

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    because of funds im going to hold off on DLC this week, but im going to get University Life and Ambitions next week

Also thanks for the info @Pony !
    Its probably too late for this but is there a way to set from scratch both a male and female sim as parents of two children sims?

I could only put me and my brother under my dad (starting both of us off as children)

Pony do you happen to know if its possible to do this?

uhhhhhhhh

Make sure the parent Sims are married?

like drag one parent over the other, and select "spouse of"

then drag the child over one parent, and pick "child of"

it should make them both?

idk I don't usually start with Sim children, I'm pretty fuzzy on how that works

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I haven't played Sims in a long while, but there is a way to make a kid the child of a married couple. I don't remember if there is some witchcraft involved though with how you set up the relationships, like making the kid ''child of'' mom, and the man ''father of'' the kid. then taking the two parents and saying married.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I haven't played Sims in a long while, but there is a way to make a kid the child of a married couple. I don't remember if there is some witchcraft involved though with how you set up the relationships, like making the kid ''child of'' mom, and the man ''father of'' the kid. then taking the two parents and saying married.

yeah it's something like that

you have to make some kind of circle with the relationships, it's weird

it's one of the many reasons i don't generally start with children in the Sims

if i want kids

i make em the old fashioned way

which is apparently mad science

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I choose to read the 'mad' in the above mad science as the 90s HELLA MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD notion of 'mad'.

• Options
    so

the teenage boy grew up and went off to college for business

he joined a frat, and got hella into juice keggers and college sports and gettin' in with the jocks

interesting thing about university is while you are at it, the rest of the family is basically in stasis till you get back

anyway, while at university he spends so much time partying and having drunk hook ups and stuff he gets to level 10 with the jocks

so by the time he gets back from school, rather than pursue Business as his degree would benefit him, he gets an offer to become a Sports Agent

he's going to do that instead

he could move out and get his own place, but the house i have is so huge (the parents are fucking riiiiiiiiiiiiiiich) that he actually has like, a loft apartment above the garage with his own kitchen and stuff so that'll do for now till he gets his own thing going

meanwhile, his half-sister, the replicant clone, has aged up to teenager and is starting high school in a couple days

I could send her off to boarding school if I didn't want to see how her weird awkward teenage years with her strange robotic mind would turn out

(when you send kids off to boarding school they basically just disappear for a while and you don't have to deal with them if you don't wanna)

but where's the fun in that

• Options
    hahahaha fuck

so when the game needs to generate new staff for a career, it'll randomly snag unemployed sims that fit the criteria for the job and slot them in there

which means by luck of the draw, the sport agent's boss for his new job?

his estranged biological mother who walked out on him as a baby

also, interesting thing I discovered

when the replicant is chatting with other sims, she'll generate holograms with her hands of what she's talking about

which is a thing i've only seen robots do before

so apparently she has like, some access to some of the animations of robots in addition to the animations of a normal human sim

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    This sounds like a soap opera, but slightly more realistic.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I did not realise what thread I was in reading that first update.

I thought it was a Pony story about his young life, and it was round about boarding school and strange robotic mind that I began to suspect something was up.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I did not realise what thread I was in reading that first update.

I thought it was a Pony story about his young life, and it was round about boarding school and strange robotic mind that I began to suspect something was up.

Well Canada is weird!

• Options
    so, funny thing

the replicant has already managed to snag a boyfriend

an interesting quirk was normally when you get all flirty with a sim and you want to move on to them being a romantic interest, you get the "Confess Attraction" option

for her it was instead "Upload True Feelings" and the animation was her like, holding his hand with hers and then performing some kind of mind-meld thing, which god bless him, the boyfriend approved of

also

because her mom-bot did not have the Competent Cleaner chip installed at the time of DNA extraction (which robots normally need to have installed to be able to clean up after other sims), the replicant is incapable of cleaning up at all

like, she can shower, but she won't scrub a toilet or do the dishes or take out the garbage or clean the cat litter or even just pick her clothes up off the floor

it's not just that the thought doesn't occur to her, she's literally incapable of doing these things if i try to manually direct her to do them

she doesn't mentally understand how that shit works

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Pony, keep it up because this shit is blowing my mind.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Freaking replicants these days. So entitled

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Apparently I'm part replicant

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    oh!

also what was previously the domestic servant robot designed to supplement the house, created by the (now sentient and married) mom-bot

gained a desire to achieve sentience

so, that happened

his creator got a sentience chip and installed it and swapped some of his other chips around to make him more human-like

and redesigned his chassis for something with a little more swagger

he also got the option to choose his one name, and the game randomly generated the name Maximus for him, so I fuckin' went with that

he's Maximus now

but that means I now have a household of

an adult father (a forensic analyst and master of chemistry and science)
    his young adult son (just returned from university and starting out as a sports agent)
    his robotic wife (who was ostensibly a stay at home mom but now that her daughter is a teenager I suppose she can get a job)
    her teenage replicant clone daughter (who just started high school but has already managed to get a boyfriend)
    her robot "son", Maximus (who just became sentient and I guess will like, get a job and friends of his own?)
    the cat (who is a cat)

so they kinda need like, a butler or something

fortunately I have The Sims Supernatural, which means I can just purchase Bonehilda, a magical coffin that contains a skeletal undead butler who will clean your house and keep your possessions in good repair for the one time cost of buying her casket and you don't have to like, otherwise take care of her or pay attention to her needs because she's undead and will see to herself (she's not considered a real family member by the game, you can't control her manually, she just sorta mills around doing her thing)

this has been going well except for the fact that the cat fucking hates Bonehilda and hisses at her every time they're in the same room

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I think your only option is to kill the cat. Or maybe let it out and see if it will start it's own brood

• Options
    the cat is wonderful

it's not her fault her species is predisposed to disliking the undead

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    the cat is wonderful

it's not her fault her species is predisposed to disliking all things, living and unliving

• Options
    edited July 2014
    so, Maximus needs a job

what job should I give him?

keeping in mind I have every Sims 3 expansion so have access to basically every career theoretically

and with the Office Drone chip he can basically do well at any job regardless of his skills because it replaces the normal job success metrics with "Robotic Efficiency"

I'm thinking possibly military?

edit: Also, should I send the robot to college?

Pony on
  • Options
    YES COLLEGE YES

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh man, military's final position is Astronaut, and yeah, that'd be pretty great.

Investigator could make for interesting stories, too...

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    i dunno though

as hilarious as COLLEGE ROBOT is

his options (and the careers they give bonuses to) are:

Business (Business, Criminal)
    Communications (Journalism, Politics)
    Fine Arts (Culinary, Music, Film)
    Physical Education (Professional Sports)
    Science and Medicine (Medical, Science)
    Technology (Law Enforcement, Military)

keeping in mind he currently has no skills (because previously all his skills were from trait chips, not actually learned properly, so when I took those chips out and replaced them with things like sentience and the capacity to love, he lost them) so he doesn't qualify for any bonus credits. Which means he'd have to go for two two-week terms of University and take a moderate course-load both times in order to get a degree

the degree would let him start at level 4 if he chose a career associated with his major and get 2x pay

but that's about it. That'd be 4 weeks of playing just that robot while the rest of his family is in stasis, after I just got done playing 2 weeks of university with just the son

for a benefit that is really questionable. with his Robotic Efficiency bonus he can get to level 4 of basically any job in almost as many days of work, seems pretty not worth it

University itself gets pretty boring and repetitive after like a week of playing through it, because there's only so many things you can do there

• Options
    Hmm. Ok military path then

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He needs to go to college so he can become a member of... ROBOT HOOOOUSE!

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    In that case, I'd say skip university for the robot and pick either military, investigator or politician (because the possibility of a robot being leader of the free world really tickles me).

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Can he go to university and drop out in the first year after some hilarious accident?

• Options
    the problem with going to the University in the Sims 3 is how many credits it takes to actually get a degree

it takes 48 credits no matter what, and it is physically impossible to do that in one term in university. the maximum amount of credits you can get with the heaviest course-load with the maximum term length is 36 credits in 2 weeks. However, you can be awarded up to 18 credits if you gain a bunch of skills or have specific traits related to your major prior to even applying

having 18 credits will still require you to go maximum coarse-load/maximum length of time, though, because 48 is the magic number. if you try to go less than the heaviest coarse-load or the heaviest coarse-load on 1 week, the most credits it will give you is 24. Add your +18 bonus credits, and that's still only 42, you'd need another 6 to graduate.

and doing 2 weeks of the heaviest coarse-load can be a fucking chore. Three days a week you are in class for like 10 hours of the day, with 1 day a week having a lecture that takes like 4-6 hours and another day a week having a "class activity" that takes 4-6 hours (depending on the major).

This gives you barely enough time to maintain the various motive meters (hunger, hygiene, etc.) let alone actually do any of the cool shit at university. Like, my most recent dude to go to university was in a frat and was all about juice keggers and partying hard and gettin' laid, and kept getting Wishes to go do college sports or go to the bowling alley or hang out with his bros. Except rarely did he have time to do any of that shit because he was always fucking starving and exhausted from class (at least with the hunger issue I figured out I could buy a bunch of portable food from the grocery store that wouldn't go bad, keep it in his inventory, and much on it in the like 15 seconds he gets between classes most days)

and it's easy to say "Well, just don't fucking power-game it, let your guy be late for class or not study or whatever, and if he gets a B then so be it, dude's there to party and fu- I mean WooHoo, not pull A's" and i'd be fine with that except the system has very little nuance to how it determines your grade. If you miss even a single class the game fucking torpedos your academic performance and you are at risk of flunking out and you have to fucking work your ass off the rest of the term just to finish at all.

So the University just feels like two weeks of grinding a lot of times, which is like the most boring part of the game for me. I just did it with one of the sims I don't know if I'm going to do it with any others for a while, especially not for Maximus who without bonus credits would have to go to University twice for a minimum of four weeks on a moderate course load (24 credits in one term, 24 credits in another) just to get his degree.

and this is just one of those Sims 3 issues where some of the people working on the expansion stuff kinda miss the unrealistic timescale the Sims operates on. Like, I think someone designing this shit for University Life was like "Of course it can take 2-4 weeks and you're supposed to take multiple terms and work your ass off to succeed, that's realistic"

buddy

buddy

My robot made a replicant clone who went from toddler to teenager over a span of 7 in-game days

take it easy on the realism, man

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Robot sports star would be good with his half brother being a sports agent. Really if anyone should be leader of the free world it is robot replicant girl once she gets out of school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I don't know, fine arts might work. I mean, come on, he's a robot named Maximus.

Two words: Iron Chef.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I mean, with a career in law enforcement he could work up to Iron Chief or something, I guess.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Shit, the thread has Geth's attention.

Do you think Geth is playing his own replicant family?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    The Sim 2 Ultimate Collection for free by redeeming this code in the Origin client: I-LOVE-THE-SIMS

• Options
    Totally works.

Good, I preferred 2 to 3 anyway.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Pony may have sealed my fate in that I really want to play Sims 3 expansions now

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Is Ultimate Collection all of the expansions?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    One would presume.

"What does The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection contain?
    The Ultimate Collection includes The Sims 2, as well as every single The Sims 2 expansion pack and stuff pack. "

Origina FAQ site.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So, I have Sims 3 with Supernatural, Ambitions, Generations, and World Adventures. And now, I also have Sims 2 with everything.

I don't actually know how they stack up together. Would Sims 2 be better since I don't have all the 3 addons?

• Options
    The 2 engine shows its age a little bit, but the actual mechanics I really preferred over 3, at least for Vanilla.

I haven't played any of the 3 expansions, though.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was just looking at @Pony list of xpacs and realized I'm missing most of the top ones, so I wasn't sure.

I have a problem with really micromanaging so I just made a household of witches and stepped back.

They spent the first ten hours summoning apples. All of them. They've each got like 5 dozens apples in their inventory. Half of them keep eating the poisoned apples.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Shit, the thread has Geth's attention.

Do you think Geth is playing his own replicant family?

yes

it is called "se++"