As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 won't play PS2 games [solved]

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a 60 GB North American PS3 with hardware PS2 backwards compatibility. When I put in a PS2 disc and try to play it, the PS2 logo shows up, but then it goes to a black screen (sometimes with artifacting on it, like a strip of white snow/pixels at the bottom). If I play around with the controller, it sounds like I'm moving through a menu (clicky menu select noises) on both games I tried (Okami and Yakuza 2). When I hit the home button, nothing happens. I have to shut down the PS3 and restart it to get back to the XMB.

It plays PS3 games, Blu-rays and DVD movies fine. A while back (close to a year) I had it sent in to be repaired for the YLOD, and after that I hadn't tried any PS2 games until now, but this is the first time I've noticed any sort of problem with it since I got it back.

Is there anything I can do on my end before I beg Sony to try and fix it again?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...
Reznik on

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I never tried any PS2 games on my PS3 so I may be totally on the wrong here.

What you describe reminds me of what can happen on a PC if you set the resolution to something the screen won't support, could it be that going PS2 makes your PS3 change output and that perhaps your screen is not having it. Maybe there is something in the settings you can look at or maybe you can try a different screen.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Seems like the PS2 GPU might be borked?

• Options
    If I remember correctly, the system automatically adjusts the resolution depending on whatever game you're playing. I have it hooked up with HDMI to a 1080i screen, and I have played PS2 games on this before. But I'll try another screen just to be sure.

I'm worried that the PS2 chips got fried when I got the YLOD and they never fixed them...

Forget it...
  • Options
    Safe mode -> restore default settings did the trick.

I haven't the foggiest idea what setting could have been screwing it up, though.

Forget it...
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If it happens again ( mine does this on occasion when other people in the house switch it to different TV's) there's a quick trick to reset a PS3 to default , that will work even if you cannot see the screen.

When you turn it on with the button, hold the button down for a good 5-6 seconds, it will eventually beep a second time, it is now reset to default.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508