As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ironic On] Internet Addiction.

LaveLave regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I waste far too long posting/lurking here (oh the irony!) and I'm sure many of us here spend far too long on the internet when we should be working etc.

Obviously that makes you the worse people to ask, but maybe you can give me some ways to break that: "I can't face doing this jet - so I'll play on the web" cycle?

Currently Adblock is my best bet - using it to whitelist pages. That or editing you hosts file. But changing the habit would be better.

I'm getting close to changing my password to random letters to stop posting here*

So any ideas?

* No cheering.

poirot1vi.gif
Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
Lave on

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've had problems with this. I'm sure you're all surprised.

Turn off your computer and leave it off. Just do it. Take it apart if you have to. Refuse to sit down at all at it until you think you've been away for long enough. Do it every day if you need to.

edit: If you absolutely have to be at the computer, don't even open your browser if you don't have to, and certainly don't go to PA or any other forum, just deny their existence. Don't let the "I have to see what's new on the forums!" mindset get you, fuck the forums, who cares? So what if you miss an entire day's events? Real life is more interesting, and it doesn't have a search function for things you miss. Close PA now and go somewhere. Don't stick around to see how the thread turns out.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Cheers Fallout - but I should be more precise - I'm doing an Astro PhD. I have to be tied to a desk all day, doing lots of boring grunt work.

It's something I want to do - but the leg work to turn Telescope gobblydigook into spectra is hughly tedious. And so my mind wanders to here.

And as I'm getting towards the end, more and more of my time will have to be at the desk. So I need to strengthen my resolve as it were.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    I've had problems with this. I'm sure you're all surprised.

Turn off your computer and leave it off. Just do it. Take it apart if you have to. Refuse to sit down at all at it until you think you've been away for long enough. Do it every day if you need to.

edit: If you absolutely have to be at the computer, don't even open your browser if you don't have to, and certainly don't go to PA or any other forum, just deny their existence. Don't let the "I have to see what's new on the forums!" mindset get you, fuck the forums, who cares? So what if you miss an entire day's events? Real life is more interesting, and it doesn't have a search function for things you miss. Close PA now and go somewhere. Don't stick around to see how the thread turns out.

That's not gonna work too well.

Just in that post, you went through "Take apart the whole computer! Leave it off! Well, if you have to be at the computer though don't open the browser! ...but only if you don't have to... and don't check PA! Don't stay around on PA just to see how threads turn out!!"

Obs on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    there was this program I saw on TSS before.

You set all the good apps on your computer to this lock, and if you really, REALLY want to use them, you have to enter this extremely long passcode. The passcode is a picture, so no copy and pasting. the locks are on timers, so you can set them for hours and hours.

though, anything you set up can just as easily be cracked by you. you really need self control here. sometimes, it's good to surf the web and blow off steam if you are stuck on a work problem.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    That sounds useful actually. Cheers. Windows though? I only have Linux/Mac boxes.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oh, i'm not sure.

frankly, i dont even remember what it was called. sorry.

but we'll miss you over at G and T, Lave. who else has a frantic looking man from Superman as his avatar?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Now this is a coincidence. I'm in the exact same position, although the subject of my PhD happens to be molecular evolution. Lots of work collection data and formatting it, interspersed with periods of thinking about how to interpret the data. The tedious work is not something you can escape in science, it just has to be done in order to get to the exciting parts. in my case, I usually put on some music, blank my mind and just do it. Once you start, you tend to get into a zen-like state and just go with the flow. it is still boring, but when you finally get the results it is worth it.

The problem is when you do work that actually requires thought. When you run into problems and are sitting in front of a computer it is just to easy to just check your mail, see if any of your friends are on instant messaging, check the forums for new topics etc, and suddenly an hour has passed. I rationalize this to myself by saying that science can not be rushed, and there is some thruth to this. When dealing with hard problems, taking a break is often productive. It is true that I could probably be more productive, but who knows?

As for your situation, you just have to keep the end in sight all the time. I suppose you do science because you feel that wonderous feeling of discovering something no one else has found? Keeping this in minds helps with the boring stuff, and you have to find the motivation yourself. Doing a Phd is very much about taking responsibilty about your own work. Few other careers offer the amount of freedom science does, but with that freedom comes a responsibilty to actually produce something. It is a privilege getting to discover the secrets of the universe, don't abuse that privilege.

Ok, this got a bit philosophical, but it is something I feel strongly about. As for practical advice, if you really feel that it interferes with your productivity, maybe you could try setting a timer? Five minutes of pleasure time on the net each hour at work or something?

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you really want to address the problem, making yourself incapable of using the Internet isn't going to help. You want to work on your will power so you can it there in front of you without using it, otherwise you're going to be dealing with this problem forever.
    Set yourself tasks, like "I'm going to do 30 minutes of work without using the Internet once" then gradually increase the difficulty. Using some fancy program to bar the 'net is just going to mean you have the same problem every time you're on a PC.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    <3

Wow Lodbrock. Love that post. Thats got me down to a tee - and spot on with the philosophy. Cheers man. W.r.t. the practical advice: hell at the minute 30 mins on, 30 mins off would be an improvement. Half way slump as they say.

I think the problem is motivational. And I think to get that back I need to lose distractions like this place. ( :( )

And cheers cooljammer - at least our avatars are together on this one. I will miss blowing my top about ads in games every couple of months though.

EDIT: Very true sponge cake. It's the app equivalent of refreshing lifehacker.com ten times a day to see new ways to be productive. Who would've thought real problems require real solutions!

EDIT: EDIT: As I'm currently deadlining it - I'll see you in half an hour!

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT: I'm back 32 mins later - by god - it could just work

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I need this too. Holy crap. It's 5:10. I haven't done any work since Wednesday? Why am I posting? I shouldn't be here? DAMNIT.
    I had friends who didn't eat solid food for a week for Lent, and I can't stay off of forums or off of AIM for a day. Why??!?!?!?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »

Success! If you set your mind to a solid guideline it's much easier to follow. I think a lot of people have this problem in college wherein nobody is saying "you must work from 9 to 5" so you have trouble creating your own guidelines to work in, it becomes too easy to just put things off.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    fdsfdsofiaoifkjaiofoijfsadlfka; <-- this is how my mind works. I try so hard, but its so easy just to go to the forums and to leave AIM on while I work. And my mind is just like, meh, I'm bored, let's go check.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »

Success! If you set your mind to a solid guideline it's much easier to follow. I think a lot of people have this problem in college wherein nobody is saying "you must work from 9 to 5" so you have trouble creating your own guidelines to work in, it becomes too easy to just put things off.

Yeah. It's pathetic to be like this when I'm in my twenties. But I can't cope without routine. I'm just going to have to face it and build up to not being so procrastastic.

30mins on, 10mins off - is a terrible ratio - but a decent place to start. Just to get a routine more than anything. This could be a good motivational self-help thread - cos Shazkar Shadowstorm proves I'm not alone.

You're all great.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven't had the problem you have had with this forum, but I've had a problem where I easily get distracted whenever I open up an Internet browser to do schoolwork. What I end up doing is removing the bookmarks on my Quick Links in Firefox. I don't know if the Internet Explorer method of doing this is as simple as Firefox, but for Firefox, here's what you do:

Right Click Firefox Header > Customize > Drag And Drop "Bookmarks Toolbar Items" into your "Customize Toolbar" window

It's an easy thing to do when you start and end work. You don't have to reorganize the Favorites or anything.

It's just a friendly reminder that I shouldn't be pjlaying when I'm doing work. Sometimes out of habit I'll open up a new tab and click Penny Arcade or some other link, which was my primary source of distraction.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a problem with internet addiction but whenever my computer is absent (read:broken) as it has been lately, I find I adapt to other tasks very readily. I basically re-addict myself to something else, whether that is the book I'm currently reading (I read a 700 page novel in a couple days recently, which is a record for me), or my DS (10 hours straight playing Hotel Dusk, yay), or doing some other sedentary task.

Like has been already mentioned, if you make easy tasks more difficult it makes you less prone to spend alot of time doing them. One of my culprits is Firefox, it makes surfing so ridiculously effortless that sometimes I purposefully switch to an old version of IE with all the security options enabled to slow down my browsing and make it more annoying and tedious. Since you don't have Windows apparently, im not sure what you could substitute besides perhaps disabling some of the more time saving features in whatever browser you are using.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    There is a lot of truth in that. If I give up PA for example - It'll just push me into one of my other interests. For example Before PA I was addicted to slashdot (hell, I got mod points, hell I even meta-moderated) then,It was getting too bad, so I came here. Then I left here but got addicted to badscience.net, and so now I'm back here again. Or if it's not the web it's a book.

So yeah. It's all about self control.

(I'll check the thread in thirty!)

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If I really need to study, I just turn off my wireless on the laptop. If I need the internet, I just close all my notifying programs, sign out of gmail, and exit out of AIM. Just discipline yourself. It'll help you now and later.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The key is to get banned/jailed from these places or develop bad reputations for them, in order to condition yourself to not be eager to go back there. You keep coming back to these places because you got a good rep there or are well recieved. Some people do this on purpose when they get too addicted to any community. Pretty common phenomenon really.

Obs on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have ADD so this is a big problem. Best solution I've found is to get a piece of paper and write down a schedule for your entire day. Also every time you get a "hey I wanna check the forums" slap yourself. I find these methods to be the most effective if I want to get stuff done.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    The key is to get banned/jailed from these places or develop bad reputations for them, in order to condition yourself to not be eager to go back there. You keep coming back to these places because you got a good rep there or are well recieved. Some people do this on purpose when they get too addicted to any community. Pretty common phenomenon really.

I really hope thats why your jailed. :)

You know, I have to admit, it did cross my mind. But I'm such a loveable awesome dude. And without me this place would fall apart.. well, no, I wish. But seriously, you do build up semi-real-frendship style things here, and they do draw you in....

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I Wouldn't suggest getting jailed/banned on purpose that seems like you'd be adding on to what the mods have to do. Just keep up with the 30 and ten thing you're doing till you phase it out more and more and totally if you want to. Though like others said a break occassionally is needed.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Man - the Mods are nice guys. I'm sure they could perma-ban me if I asked them - rather than making me fuck up my beloved PA first. I bet it does happen though.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Man - the Mods are nice guys. I'm sure they could perma-ban me if I asked them - rather than making me fuck up my beloved PA first. I bet it does happen though.

The mods don't give a shit about you.

And you wouldn't be "wasting their time". It's not like the Mods hold forum trials or anything. They pretty much just taser the shit out of people and throw them straight into a jail cell.

Obs on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you can manage to be off the forums for a few days, they kinda lose their appeal cause you no longer know what the fuck is going on.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    If you can manage to be off the forums for a few days, they kinda lose their appeal cause you no longer know what the fuck is going on.
    It's completely true.

I feel like I should be playing video games now, not talking to you dickweeds*

*Do not mean this. The dickweeds part. The rest of it, I do mean. But you are not dickweeds.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    It's completely true.

*Do not mean this. The dickweeds part. The rest of it, I do mean. But you are not dickweeds.

Just curious but is dickweed essentially a euphemism for pubic hair?

Obs on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It may not be feasible for you, but I find it helpful to work on things in a different location if I have to be on a computer.

Paper due? I'm writin' it on the shitty library computers in the uncomfortable chairs. In fact, that's what I'm doing tomorrow. Because I can't bring myself to finish my 10 page research paper now. :|

To my credit, I have already worked on it a fair amount today.

But yeah. I'm always wary of bring up PA someplace other than home because I fear the COCKS DICKS LOL.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's completely true.

I don't know. Do you want to be pubic hair?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's completely true.

I don't know. Do you want to be pubic hair?

D::!!:

Obs on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Do the 30 on/30 off thing, then slowly ween that time down a little bit at a time. Taking it slow will make it easier and should actually help to curb the addiction. Eventually you might find that when you're on the computer that you DON'T want to come to the forums.

Although we will miss you back in G&T.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cheers Fallout - but I should be more precise - I'm doing an Astro PhD. I have to be tied to a desk all day, doing lots of boring grunt work.

I'm writing up my CompSci PhD thesis at the moment, and I'm having exactly the same problem.

I don't mind jotting down bullet points for my thesis or coding new features into my software, but I'm now up to the stage where 90% of my time is spent turning the bullet-points into sensible (and properly referenced) sentences, and doing all the tiny coding jobs I've ignored up until now. It's hard to resist the urge to go visit a few forums instead of working.

I really don't have an answer other than to set deadlines. Say "I'm going to do X, Y and Z today", then don't stop until they are finished. Still, it's hard to know how long the jobs will take until they are done, so that doesn't always work.

I've also tried editing my PC's hosts file to redirect PA, Kotaku and Slashdot to 127.0.0.1, but I find I procrastinate in other ways anyway.

At least you can console yourself with the knowledge that it's something every PhD student goes through. You can't concentrate on a single subject for 3-6 years, and not run into the problem.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)