As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap/Great PC Controller

Edgar J.Edgar J. Registered User new member
Since my PS3 got YLOD and now not planning to buy PS4 or XOne, I've been playing some PC games lately, but in the FPS I don't like the feel of Keyboards, I tried to use the PS3 with driver etc is a pain to setup and I'vent been successful, also people told me to buy a Xbox controller but I like more the PS control button setup. I was looking at this controller http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAHYQY but I'm open for suggestions.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Edgar J. wrote: »
    Since my PS3 got YLOD and now not planning to buy PS4 or XOne, I've been playing some PC games lately, but in the FPS I don't like the feel of Keyboards, I tried to use the PS3 with driver etc is a pain to setup and I'vent been successful, also people told me to buy a Xbox controller but I like more the PS control button setup. I was looking at this controller http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAHYQY but I'm open for suggestions.

I have more or less exactly the same Logitech controller (it's a different model number, but the build & layout are exactly the same).

It's what I would call 'adequate'. The sticks aren't the most responsive things in the world (and are just slightly off-center in their neutral position, but that's probably just my individual pad), the face buttons occasionally stick & the D-pad will sometimes pinch your finger (these are defects with the engineering, not things just isolated to my pad). Shoulder buttons are fine.

It works well for platforming & action RPGs, works well for 3rd person action games and probably works well with FPS (haven't tried it; I'm an FPS KBAM guy).

It is pretty bad for fighting games, or any other game that wants you to hit 2 of the face buttons simultaneously. The inputs aren't synced properly for this, so you have to press the buttons with a really awkward timing for it to behave as though you hit both at once.

My experience has been half-assed enough that I wouldn't recommend the pad, but if you can get it cheap, it's certainly serviceable.

The Dualshock 4 controller has PC support right out of the box (although most games will require you to run a third party program that tricks them into thinking you're using a 360 pad).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Really the answer is to buy the wired version of the 360 pad.

This is how set up goes for 95% of PC games:
    • Plug in pad.
    • Play game.

It's magic and completely worth the extra $10 it will cost you over a generic pad.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I have both the F310 and an X-Box 360 controller and while the F310 is okay, it's not really up to standards when you play games which require high precision or difficult inputs. The 360 controller is of higher quality and it also has much better software support. I think I would also prefer the PS3-like layout but that's the way it is, at least for me.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I use the Logitech F310, and I love it. It's not the best controller in the world, but it works great for me. Get it for cheap, if you can, then prepared to get smoked in multiplayer by other PC users who have a mouse and keyboard (or, alternatively, wall-hacks or better internet connection).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I use the Logitech F710.

The reason I went with logitech over the xbox one is that the logitech one lets you switch between dinput and xinput if you happen to play older games.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I second the 360 controller, if you happen to use Steam Big Picture you can go with the wireless one with a receiver although they are a bit of a pain to set up the first time. I tend to play some games on the big screen from the couch so a wired one wouldn't work very well.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I have the Logitech controller and am perfectly happy with it.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Another vote for a wired 360 controller.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    PC drivers are out today for the Xbox One pad. So I would recommend that over a 360 one.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    360 controller (and One controller) are better. Logitech allows legacy joystick use. That's pretty much your trade off.

I have all three. ;)

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    PC drivers are out today for the Xbox One pad. So I would recommend that over a 360 one.

I'd have said the same if he hadn't said he wanted something cheap. He's likely to find a much better deal on a 360 controller.

• Options
    Edgar J.Edgar J. Registered User new member
    Thanks guys for the comments, really helpful!

• Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    Another vote for a 360 controller. I actually use a Razer Onza and I ADORE it, even being a PS3 user for 90% of my console gaming.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    I'll vote 360 controller, as well. I run a wired for my desk rig and have the wireless receiver for my HTPC/Steambox. They're pretty much standard these days and the drivers, etc., are no-hassle. Microsoft+Microsoft works well here.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    There's a driver that makes your PC think your PS3 controller is an xbox controller (And no it's not that dreadful program) that I use with no problems.

well no problems until my PS3 controller got lost in my move.

But Alas.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    There's a driver that makes your PC think your PS3 controller is an xbox controller (And no it's not that dreadful program) that I use with no problems.

This.

Plus as an alternative I really suggest given the keyboard+mouse combo another chance. Once you get the hang of it you'll find that FPS games is really played much better with that combo, so much so that it's a big reason to why there aren't any console+PC titles where one can play cross platform.

Bones heal, glory is forever.