As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dota 2] thread: [mid or feed edition]

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I really hate when people describe things as the keybinds. What the heck are Q and W?

I find you to be most fascinating.

in relation to your question: It's often easier to remember spell locations than names. It's also much easier to type "use q" than "disruption"

Personally, I remember abilities by what they do, not what button they're assigned to. I don't play Axe, so why I should I bother with what button is battle hunger and which is call?
    btw DotA buff. It claims it wants me to sign in with my Steam account? That doesn't seem smart AT ALL.

It directs you to steamcommunity.com and you authorize it. The same way you can log in with Facebook or Twitter on a bunch of other sites. It's perfectly safe and your login info isn't sent to anyone other than Steam.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Speaking of the maxing nukes thing from a bit back, one of the few things I believe conventional wisdom is wrong about is maxing BH's Q over Jinada.

Two points in Q is 100 damage each; the third and fourth total up to 125. Jinada would add approximately 25 damage a rank at that point, so it does fall behind on damage, but the decreased cooldown on it for stickiness and the increased mana cost on Shuriken (when BH can be mana limited) makes me less inclined to rank it up first. It is more absolute burst, which I guess is what most people are looking for, but Jinada feels like it gives him more lasting presence, and in many 2/1/2 situations where BH isn't actually just sulking in invis forever, the additional manaless harassment and initiation opportunities the slow can provide are really good.

Maxing shuriken with 1 point in jinada and shadow walk is pretty good at 6 if you go gank a lane, especially mid. If you're having a lane where you can get to creeps and click the enemy hero jinada might be more worthwhile since it makes trading melee vs melee hits in your favour.

Henroid did you play enchantress in the jungle? She has like the fastest start ever, you sit in the jungle at 30 sec, get a creep and do shit from the get go. Centaur, ursa, troll go gank sidelane or mid. Wildkin send to mid, win lane because of stupid tornado damage. Satyr can throw some shit at mid. Satyr's kinda shit except to clear more camps.

Agree with the above - I usually level shuriken early if I think I can get ganks in my own lane - Shuriken doesn't scale but is great for damage early. If my opponents are being really cautious I'll level Jinada instead and focus on last hits and the occasional harrass.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Peewi wrote: »
    I really hate when people describe things as the keybinds. What the heck are Q and W?

I find you to be most fascinating.

in relation to your question: It's often easier to remember spell locations than names. It's also much easier to type "use q" than "disruption"

Personally, I remember abilities by what they do, not what button they're assigned to. I don't play Axe, so why I should I bother with what button is battle hunger and which is call?
    btw DotA buff. It claims it wants me to sign in with my Steam account? That doesn't seem smart AT ALL.

It directs you to steamcommunity.com and you authorize it. The same way you can log in with Facebook or Twitter on a bunch of other sites. It's perfectly safe and your login info isn't sent to anyone other than Steam.

For characters you've played QWER as a shorthand for abilities works fine. I find if I haven't played a hero ever (or even in a while) QWER is less helpful. I recently skilled strafe on clinx at lvl2 because I'm dumb and forgot burning arrows was W and not Q. Embarrassing! That said, after sufficient dota experience you've probably played everyone enough to figure out what QWE and R are. It doesn't take very long!

Also you can usually figure it out with context. If someone says harass with your W on clinx, you can probably figure out they don't mean windwalk or strafe (death pact is obviously R)

valiance on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I have often wondered why searing arrows is a W when most other orb effect skills on heroes are a Q.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I also wonder about lina and slardar stuns.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The invoker Nerf is brutal. The lack of bonus damage on cold snap means he has almost no laning presence anymore.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I have definitely noticed this, as well.

• badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the maxing nukes thing from a bit back, one of the few things I believe conventional wisdom is wrong about is maxing BH's Q over Jinada.

Two points in Q is 100 damage each; the third and fourth total up to 125. Jinada would add approximately 25 damage a rank at that point, so it does fall behind on damage, but the decreased cooldown on it for stickiness and the increased mana cost on Shuriken (when BH can be mana limited) makes me less inclined to rank it up first. It is more absolute burst, which I guess is what most people are looking for, but Jinada feels like it gives him more lasting presence, and in many 2/1/2 situations where BH isn't actually just sulking in invis forever, the additional manaless harassment and initiation opportunities the slow can provide are really good.

I've been seeing some BH guides that call for Jinada first, but never really explain why. This is interesting, I may try it. There certainly are opportunities to punch enemy heroes fairly often, in dual lanes.

Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid did you play enchantress in the jungle? She has like the fastest start ever, you sit in the jungle at 30 sec, get a creep and do shit from the get go. Centaur, ursa, troll go gank sidelane or mid. Wildkin send to mid, win lane because of stupid tornado damage. Satyr can throw some shit at mid. Satyr's kinda shit except to clear more camps.

@Jutranjo I didn't do anything like that. I would grab creeps and use them to tank in the jungle. I was actually really bad about grabbing NPCs and sending them into lanes.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular

@Jutranjo I didn't do anything like that. I would grab creeps and use them to tank in the jungle. I was actually really bad about grabbing NPCs and sending them into lanes.

You only want to send the wildkin somewhere alone, the rest of them you're there with it and killing enemy heroes. It's hard to judge when to do it. If you don't get much success out of it because teammates aren't cooperating you're better off making a midas even though enchantress is a really strong early game hero, after creeps spawn.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Yea it was 2-1-2 cause they didn't want tiny or sniper free farming. So i grabbed silencer thinking "hey we need another carryish guy aside from alch" and then we get to lane and clock starts saying he needs all the farm. So i go ok I guess I will support. And then watch him miss every hook and mess up so many fights with cogs. And go I wish i'd gotten so farm cause I am wrecking dudes til late game

I could also use some tips on ember spirit for my 10 hero dealie. Just tried him and I don't think it went so well.

Yeah I'd contest that in the future, Silencer scales better with farm than Clockwerk does.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Is anyone watching the fnatic cast of EG vs DK? It's just constant EG praise and it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    god i hope there's no bias from the casters that would be the worst ever what would the children think?

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Page- wrote: »
    god i hope there's no bias from the casters that would be the worst ever what would the children think?

I meant ridiculous as in funny, not ridiculous as "This is unprofessional, stop the presses, dota casters are being biased.".

>_>

KoopahTroopah on
  • ClarifiedButterClarifiedButter Registered User regular
    Page is trolling you.

haven't you guys learned anything?

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    So are the casters...

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    On a serious note though the casters should do their best to lose any/all bias. There's discussions about how that sorta thing is how you get sponsors to sign on; being a professional.

Want something to make money? Attract the people who will give the money.

Then again I guess the International being crowd funded is blowing all that out of the fucking water.

• SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    So I was looking through my armory when I noticed a bunch of my chests were gone happen to anyone else?. I also noticed my offering was empty but I never got anything for it not even credit in the compendium. Does it take it like one day then give rewards another or something?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It gives you compendium points, but it's bad about alerting you that it did. If you offer a bunch of chests you probably got 25-35 compendium points, you could check your current offering rewards to see.

I ate an engineer
    It gives you compendium points, but it's bad about alerting you that it did. If you offer a bunch of chests you probably got 25-35 compendium points, you could check your current offering rewards to see.

Ah i see it finally gave me some. 100 for getting rid of some commons i never used anyway (no I won't play morphling no matter how many items you give me valve!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    you should play morphling he is badass

Dhalphir wrote: »
    you should play morphling he is badass

He might be but I am bad as him and find him very boring to play. Possibly the two are related.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oh goddamn it, I've been busy all day and just now remembered I need to roll for my new daily lord.

And the winner iiiiiiiiiiiissssss... MEDUSA AGAIN!

Also apparently the game accounts for whenever you did your first roll; it's giving me 22 hours for Medusa. Nice. So my schedule isn't broken. Anyway sometime tonight I might do my Medusa thing and if not... uh well I'm busy all day tomorrow too so I'm f'd.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Great games tonight.

I suspect that Milk has a new favourite hero in Weaver, and I know Mazzy loves him some Windrunner. Both were great all game. That Tiny and Wisp were really good, kept it close all game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tonight's games were amazing. Like wow. We were in a zone. A zone of amazing. I don't even know how it could of happened.

First I want to give a shout out to the amazing teams. I was just the ganker and roamer, you guys won the game.

So I think I like Nyx now. I don't think I can do Nyx like tonight very often though. Like I saw the ganks and set ups. I knew my targets. I did the combo correctly. I even dagoned folks. Like I was channeling a much better player than me on that Nyx. Funny thing is my Windrunner blink games were huge because I could see angles for impale I never could before. And it won some close fights. And I felt useful. Also blowing people up with Nyx is just a blast since I understand him now.

And game 2. This game was psychotic. There was a point I wasn't sure we were ahead or behind. That Tiny was huge. But we could disable and bash him to death basically. Once Wisp was out Tiny's danger level dramatically dropped. Also targets like him are made for Aghs focus fire especially with a maelstrom. So much lightning. It was awesome. But the fights. Like were nuts. And we were all so full on items. Also Milks scary ass 6 slot weaver.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Jugg vs Ursa. Ursa surprise blink attacks! Omnislash. End game with 700+ gpm. Those two games (jugg and BH) went really, really well. Good play all round (we played as 4 and then the axe from the first game rejoined us) and we would have won much, much quicker but Tiny + Io is an incredibly painful combo as neither seem to die. Ever.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Jugg vs Ursa. Ursa surprise blink attacks! Omnislash. End game with 700+ gpm. Those two games (jugg and BH) went really, really well. Good play all round (we played as 4 and then the axe from the first game rejoined us) and we would have won much, much quicker but Tiny + Io is an incredibly painful combo as neither seem to die. Ever.

That Tiny-Wisp combo were scary. They were in sync like mad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

That was a funny Rosh at the end where it turned out everyone was six slotted and CM ended up getting aegis.

That moment in the first game where they all came down mid, and Nyx and Jugg went in 5v2, I was like "NoooooOooooOoooo!" And then you guys killed four in seconds, and the remaining guy just went "Nope!" and ran away, and I couldn't stop laughing IRL. Oh me of little faith.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Great games tonight.

I suspect that Milk has a new favourite hero in Weaver, and I know Mazzy loves him some Windrunner. Both were great all game. That Tiny and Wisp were really good, kept it close all game.

First time playing Weaver. I definitely like him a lot; any carry that can just nope away from ganks (Weaver with Shukuchi, Anti-Mage with his 5-second Blink, etc) is fun to play because you can get very reliable farm. I know we had some issues with that Tiny / Wisp combo early on, but I reminded us that the combo will really drop off mid-to-late game, and we'll only have to worry about Phantom Assassin at that point. And PA? We ganked her twice within the first 10 minutes, and I picked up an MKB as like, my second purchase. So she didn't stand a chance.

They had a very powerful early game ganking lineup, which was sure to transition into a powerhouse mid-game pushing lineup (Tinker + Tiny), but I stayed safe (2 deaths in a 50+ minute game) and basically had free farm the entire time. When I finally came down to start contributing to team fights, that was when their Radiant lineup was just starting to drop off, and we began to really crush them hard.

Great games tonight, everyone. Really proud of us.

Shadowhope wrote: »
    That was a funny Rosh at the end where it turned out everyone was six slotted and CM ended up getting aegis.

That moment in the first game where they all came down mid, and Nyx and Jugg went in 5v2, I was like "NoooooOooooOoooo!" And then you guys killed four in seconds, and the remaining guy just went "Nope!" and ran away, and I couldn't stop laughing IRL. Oh me of little faith.

I had to go watch this. Like I forgot about it. And I watch that 3 person impale and I was like yes! And then Jug hit hard. And then my carapace hit like 3 or 4 of them at once. And then they just exploded. I was like WOAH!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Weaver is interesting because I don't find him to be particularly semicarry-ish. He's not doing absolutely tons of damage early on, though he can output very stable damage and safely finish with bugs+geminate+scoochy+ult). But he also doesn't actually carry that hard. He's an annoying pest hero, but he isn't that way because he pushes particularly hard, though he can kind of push in that he can go up to a T3 on his own and siege it safely. He's like a weird jack of all trades punishment for the other team not carrying than like a traditional carry or semicarry, since he can kind of just do whatever he wants if he's not significantly poorer than the enemy.

On the flip side, I dunno why you'd be under the impression Tiny-Wisp is good early and falls off lategame. Early on it's only decent in that it's a tiny with weaker spells and a harder time comboing, but an infinite supply of bleepity bloopity mana. Lategame he's one of the hardest (pun not intended) carries when paired with such a strong aspd steroid, and Phantom Assassin is really weak against an enemy carry that can do close to 1k magic damage burst, ignore evasion, and stun her when she tries to attack after actually stunning her.

I mean, obviously you won... but weaver and PA are the early game team there for sure. PA can take wisp from full at six with Q+W+any singular crit, and even tiny has to stun instantly or die; she's got super good semicarry/fighter potential.

EDIT: Also, I forgot; if you don't have fortify up, Tiny+Wisp can port in manta, and backdoor a T3/Rax incredibly easily even through BD protection, though Wisp may have to abandon Tiny if you're doing it from full. That's pretty difficult to deal with; any exposed range rax dying whenever the enemy chooses to kill it is bad news.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    Weaver is interesting because I don't find him to be particularly semicarry-ish. He's not doing absolutely tons of damage early on, though he can output very stable damage and safely finish with bugs+geminate+scoochy+ult). But he also doesn't actually carry that hard. He's an annoying pest hero, but he isn't that way because he pushes particularly hard, though he can kind of push in that he can go up to a T3 on his own and siege it safely. He's like a weird jack of all trades punishment for the other team not carrying than like a traditional carry or semicarry, since he can kind of just do whatever he wants if he's not significantly poorer than the enemy.

On the flip side, I dunno why you'd be under the impression Tiny-Wisp is good early and falls off lategame. Early on it's only decent in that it's a tiny with weaker spells and a harder time comboing, but an infinite supply of bleepity bloopity mana. Lategame he's one of the hardest (pun not intended) carries when paired with such a strong aspd steroid, and Phantom Assassin is really weak against an enemy carry that can do close to 1k magic damage burst, ignore evasion, and stun her when she tries to attack after actually stunning her.

I mean, obviously you won... but weaver and PA are the early game team there for sure. PA can take wisp from full at six with Q+W+any singular crit, and even tiny has to stun instantly or die; she's got super good semicarry/fighter potential.

PA was on their team.

Our team was:
    Windrunner, CM, Weaver, BH and Axe

Their team:
    PA, Tiny, Wisp, Tinker and Rubrick.

In reality it was most Tiny Wisp and kind of PA. Rubrick rarely did anything other than die. Tinker basically lost mid to me on Windrunner.

One thing I noticed with Tiny he never got a BKB. And late game we were shutting him down with shackles and sheep from me at least. I could usually kill wisp in about 5 seconds with Tiny stunned and then sheep and work on tiny with my ult while Weaver took him apart.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm watching one of your guys' replays. When Domhnall got jumped by Ursa and said "fuck you" with that Omnislash I was rolling.

I'm watching one of your guys' replays. When Domhnall got jumped by Ursa and said "fuck you" with that Omnislash I was rolling.

Pretty sure that is the game we have been talking about.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Pretty sure that is the game we have been talking about.

Yeah, it's what prompted me to watch it. But I didn't realize how glorious it was because Ursa would've otherwise had him.

edited June 2014
    Okay I'm not getting this second Medusa win. I'm getting my ass handed to me match after match.

Edit - Thinking about it, I need to refrain from playing any late-stage lords unless I'm in a pre-made group.

Henroid on
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

PA was on their team.

Our team was:
    Windrunner, CM, Weaver, BH and Axe

Their team:
    PA, Tiny, Wisp, Tinker and Rubrick.

In reality it was most Tiny Wisp and kind of PA. Rubrick rarely did anything other than die. Tinker basically lost mid to me on Windrunner.

One thing I noticed with Tiny he never got a BKB. And late game we were shutting him down with shackles and sheep from me at least. I could usually kill wisp in about 5 seconds with Tiny stunned and then sheep and work on tiny with my ult while Weaver took him apart.

And there's your issue. You're only disable that goes through BKB there is Axe's call, and he would still be cleaving all over the place. Greedy choice.

I had a game the other day where I played PA with some new friends of mine, so it was quite a low-mmr game I think. I was stomping, but I remember saying at one point "I should really get a BKB at this point, it would be the smart choice," but getting greedy for more damage and buying something else instead (might have been Abyssal). They proceeded to hold us off for another 10-15 mins even though we already had 1 Rax down because of that choice, especially when I popped myself twice on their blademail's.

Moral of the story: BKB is strong, get it.

Steam ID : BigKev87
    On the flip side, I dunno why you'd be under the impression Tiny-Wisp is good early and falls off lategame

I'm not saying they're not a threat late game at all, because an overcharged Tiny can backdoor the fuck out of our towers if he wanted to. I'm just saying that he's dangerous in a different kind of way late game than he is early. Like, that cute Avalanche / Toss combo that he's using to basically one-shot people in the laning phase loses its teeth in the mid-game, and by the end, I could blow up Wisp inside of a Geminate opener.

edited June 2014
    I just had a sick, sick, sick four game win streak. Played All Random, then Least Played, then Single Draft twice.

Went

12-6-18 with Vengeful Spirit
    18-3-9 with Ursa
    13-2-4 with Silencer
    23-3-7 with Phantom Assassin

met two really good players in the Venge game and 3stacked with them for the next three. Had a really fun night.

The Silencer game I hit nearly 900 xp/min.

Dhalphir on
    It might just be me, but it seems like All Random, Random Draft, Single Draft, and Least Played have a significantly higher average level of play than All Pick. Maybe the bads are drawn to All Pick.