As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm a OLD [Witcher Thread], no longer in use. post in the new one.

DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Games and Technology
IQTzJtH.png

PLACE YOUR BETS FEB 24th May 19, 2015 on xbone ps4 and PeeCee!
The only hype you need:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU
That 90's chocobo racing obsession is back!
Ky5Lczs.jpg

PRE-ORDER NOW FROM GOG! If you own Witcher 1 and 2 on gog you can get a big discount! 27% off! Also comes with beta access to Witcher Adventure board game! A free copy of Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition! and all the usual digital goodies you'd expect from GOG, Comics! Soundtracks! Artbooks! Maps! Fun! Exclamation points!

Collectors edition! BLOODY EXPENSIVE (94 quid! 129 quids!) :|But pre-order from all the usual retail/online places! I have! TOO LATE SOLD OUT
Pi90qtk.jpg

System Requirements revealed edit: these min specs are overthetop, so dont worry if you fall below. if you could witcher 2 at ultra and get between 40-60fps you'll be fine.

Minimum System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB
Recommended System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Performance Tips:

Shadows are the biggest fps drain, putting them on low will still give you shadows on anything but save you 10
foliage distance is a killer too when at high or ultra, water too and so is in-game AA (if you want better AA at a low fps cost, check out Reshade and apply SMAA)
i have below min specs and i can run the game with textures, details, landmass all at ultra and get 30fps, it will flux from 22 to 30 but turn off fraps and it's barely noticeable and i play on Death March (though not at 1080p, 1360x768 is my native monitor res and SMAA takes care of the lower resolution jaggies)
http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-witcher-3-analysis-the-alchemy-of-smoothness/

it describes how to get extremely smooth gameplay with little input lag. really ups the games general responsiveness to inputs.
Frei wrote: »
if you're playing PC with an xbox controller, go to whatever folder your game is installed in and then open "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\platform\pc\", open the "platformgameplay.ini" with notepad or something and make this change:

LeftStickSensitivity=1.0

really makes a big difference in regards to movement, much more fluid/responsive, try it out. you may not like it if you're used to the awkward start/stopping and stumbling about.

Tierwulf wrote: »
Ok something that may be viable to go into the OP:

Stacking Delusion with Puppet will screw it up where puppet when holding Q will not cast. After the last time of not having delusion equipped and going into a conversation that I could have used it, I looked for an answer online. If you go to my documents\witcher 3 and open up input.settings (NOT input.qwerty in your witcher 3 steam folder) with notepad, do a ctrl+f on castsignhold and modify:

IK_Q=(Action=CastSignHold,State=Duration,IdleTime =0.2)

Change the 0.2 to 0.01

You will need to do this for multiple entries, just keep letting it find castsignhold until you get to the bottom (around 4 entries or so?)

It fixed it for me at least and I'm guessing next patch will probably resolve it anyway.

RmAs1.gif

Deaderinred on

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Squee!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    I'm hyped... BUT!

Until it's confirmed for a Linux release at some point I can't justify ordering it since I won't be able to play it otherwise (since it will likely not run under WINE).

So sad because it looks SO GOOD!

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    So what's the deal with that crow?

Edit: Must be this guy:
    wallpaper_2_en.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    ugh so good

so preordered

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Since everyone is wondering, I cancelled my 179'sh dollar GameStop order and put in my 152'sh Amazon next day order! Since I NEVER have pre-ordered from Amazon before, they don't charge until 2/24/15 right?

50433.png?1708759015
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    That preorder could not be further removed from the rest of the industry right now, who are practically holding content hostage behind preorders.

Hey, how about you take a 10% discount for preordering cause you're a cool dude. Oh, you own Witcher 2 on GOG? That's even cooler. Make that 15%. We could probably swing even more if you owned Witcher 1. Now, now, I know what you're going to say. You don't own it here because you already bought a physical copy and a Steam copy. Listen, just go find your CD key and put in into the box here and we'll give you a copy for free. Also bump that discount up to 20%. Also, have a copy of Neverwinter Nights. Just because.

I almost feel good about humanity again.

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Since I NEVER have pre-ordered from Amazon before, they don't charge until 2/24/15 right?
    Amazon won't charge you for your preorder until the game has been shipped :smile:

I'm disappointed that the CE is unavailable for preorder in Canada though :neutral_face: I've tried Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, but they won't ship outside their respective countries at this time. Has anyone from Canada had any luck in preordering the CE?

Prisca on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    PRE-ORDER NOW FROM GOG! If you own Witcher 1 and 2 on gog you can get a big discount! 27% off! Also comes with beta access to Witcher Adventure board game! A free copy of Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition! and all the usual digital goodies you'd expect from GOG, Comics! Soundtracks! Artbooks! Maps! Fun! Exclamation points!
    wait what? I own witcher 1 and 2 on gog and I'm only seeing 20% off?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Monger wrote: »
    That preorder could not be further removed from the rest of the industry right now, who are practically holding content hostage behind preorders.

Witcher 2 was one of the few games I've purchased at release for full price. Witcher 3 will be likewise, joining only one other company whose games I ever buy day one. 30% because I love the games and 70% because CDPR is so damn fair (though I'm sure being based in Poland helps them swing that).

I mean, who puts a soundtrack in the hohum edition?

s7Imn5J.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Next year is a long wait, but on the plus side I can probably afford the kind of technomagic to run the whole trilogy with maximum everything.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    @morninglord The only place that has the CE up on their site here at the moment is EBGames. For a whopping $200. I'm just gonna head down into the local JB Hi-Fi and ask if they're getting any copies and preorder there, otherwise I'll probably resort to begging for a medallion.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Next year is a long wait, but on the plus side I can probably afford the kind of technomagic to run the whole trilogy with maximum everything.

I'll be upgrading to the Nvidia 870 or 880 before it comes out. Hopefully it's enough, this game looks gorgeous. Looks like a highly upgraded version of the Witcher 2 engine which is still demanding today.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    @morninglord The only place that has the CE up on their site here at the moment is EBGames. For a whopping $200. I'm just gonna head down into the local JB Hi-Fi and ask if they're getting any copies and preorder there, otherwise I'll probably resort to begging for a medallion.

That's crazy. The medallion and statue looks pretty awesome, and I might consider it at $125-150, but at $200 I'm better off just trying to find the medallion and statue seperate on ebay or something.

Australian prices are fun eh? I reckon JB would probably sell it at around $170 if they get any though. EB is trying to sell the PS4/XBone version for $120, so yeah. That's fun.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    That happened early in the ps3 life cycle too.
    I don't think I'll get a chance to take a look in the next few days I'm so busy, let me know what you find.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    The only place I found that will ship to another country so far is the Gamestop one. The amazon one won't do it currently.

And damn I'm excited. It's nice to see they listened and added the medallion and it being steel is the cherry on top.

I love this company, they not only listen but they go all out trying to treat you for buying their product.

Other companies need to learn from them.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Yennefer <3

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I have until early 2015 to decide whether to make this a "now I'm glued to my PS4" game, or build a new PC for it. Because my PC will be about 3 years old then, and that's usually when I get the itch to just replace everything.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Huh not seeing any discount for owning the previous two games. Price appears as £38ish.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Curious to see if many people thinking that was
    Letho in the group of Witchers or not
    is correct.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    is correct.
    well, it won't be in my game. Unless he somehow regret his head.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I still haven't beaten the second or. My computer died shortly after I started playing. I should probably do that because I enjoyed what I played.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    is correct.
    certainly seemed like him, and i'd love to run into him again. he was a badass :D

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Can't wait. Didn't care for Witcher 1 but Witcher 2 was an amazing game and number 3 looks delicious

t5qfc9.jpg
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I tried to play Witcher 1, but it didn't capture me. How much do I miss out on if I skip straight to Witcher II?

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait what? I own witcher 1 and 2 on gog and I'm only seeing 20% off?

I'll have to check it when i get home but when i looked last night the site said 27% off £39.99. I wasnt logged in or anything so i dont know what is going on.

It's amusing that I could grab the CE from Gamestop in the US at $150 + $40 postage and it's still less than buying it from a shop that's 10 minutes away.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    is correct.
    well, it won't be in my game. Unless he somehow regret his head.

Oh man, I wasn't even thinking about save imports... I let
    Phillippa

go. They even warned me about it. I forsee bloody vengeance.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • BrewBrew Registered User regular
    From that trailer:
    It must take a lot of effort to hang that guy... just think of the logistics. Must have been one bad criminal!
    s6zhRRO.png

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    Hmmm, to CE or to Digital?

I already have a Witcher medallion from #1...

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    I tried to play Witcher 1, but it didn't capture me. How much do I miss out on if I skip straight to Witcher II?

Witcher 1 was great but it took dedication. As I've said previously, that game was 150% swamp: it had so much swamp that it made other nearby games that did not have swamps suddenly have swamps. I say wiki it and read a plot synopsis.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014

Witcher 1 was great but it took dedication. As I've said previously, that game was 150% swamp: it had so much swamp that it made other nearby games that did not have swamps suddenly have swamps. I say wiki it and read a plot synopsis.

This is my consistent advice for people with the "Witcher 1 didn't grab me" thing (me included, because I'm one of those people). The story of Witcher 1, while interesting, really just sets up what comes next. Reading a (good) plot synopsis then jumping in to 2 is more than sufficient.

Witcher 2, in my mind, is a superior game in every conceivable way. You can tell that with Witcher 1 CDPR was working on an absolute shoe string budget (and did heroic things with it). Witcher 2 is really the manifestation of CDPR + an actual budget, and it absolutely shows. It's a work of craftsmanship through and through.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    i hear swamps are back in witcher 3

it's been too long!

RxI0N.png
  • ExcisionExcision Old Sport Registered User regular
    i hear swamps are back in witcher 3

it's been too long!

Witcher 3 spoiler below!

tns_031noahhathawayartax.jpg

steam_sig.png
    That split second clip of Geralt fighting what looked like drowners in a swamp gave me traumatic flashbacks.

Lorahalo wrote: »
    That split second clip of Geralt fighting what looked like drowners in a swamp gave me traumatic flashbacks.

i had so many points in group style, the swamp posed no issue at all :D

RxI0N.png
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm getting to the point where I just tell people to skip the first game altogether

It's a great game in a lot of ways but between enormous jank and the sex card thing I have trouble recommending it to most people

Witcher 2 is where the whole thing really gets off the ground

dN0T6ur.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

This is my consistent advice for people with the "Witcher 1 didn't grab me" thing (me included, because I'm one of those people). The story of Witcher 1, while interesting, really just sets up what comes next. Reading a (good) plot synopsis then jumping in to 2 is more than sufficient.

Witcher 2, in my mind, is a superior game in every conceivable way. You can tell that with Witcher 1 CDPR was working on an absolute shoe string budget (and did heroic things with it). Witcher 2 is really the manifestation of CDPR + an actual budget, and it absolutely shows. It's a work of craftsmanship through and through.

Does anyone have a (good) plot synopsis recommendation (i.e. link)? And do the choices in Witcher 1 transfer to Witcher 2? Is there anything that is like "you really want to be involved in this choice" type of thing that would give me reason to play Witcher 1?

• NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I pre-ordered the collector's edition from Amazon without blinking. THAT is a CE that's worth it. I've never actually OWNED a CE of a game outside of SWTOR but this thing is just packed with good stuff. I've never opened a box of AWESOME before but I'm stoked. It's weird but Christmas this year is going to feel hollow compared to what's coming two months after.

W1's plot has just about nothing to do with the story in W2 and carrying into W3, apart from setting up W2's start with a quick scene at the end, so it's not like you're going to be missing anything critical—just flavor and lore, like meeting the other witchers, or learning what a Source is (which will come up again).
    And do the choices in Witcher 1 transfer to Witcher 2? Is there anything that is like "you really want to be involved in this choice" type of thing that would give me reason to play Witcher 1?

The import choices made almost zero difference in W2. The only one that seems potentially notable is Adda becomes the queen of Redania (?) if she survives, and whether that matters at all in W3 remains to be seen.

s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.