As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a vacuum.

mcpmcp Registered User regular
I need a new vacuum.

I've had a bargain basement, black friday sale bissell for a number of years now, and I don't think it's performing very well anymore. Even after a cleaning, I think it's spewing an unreasonable amount of dust into the air. I've also had dirt devil's, and eureka's that weren't all that great. But, they've all been the bottom of the barrel models.

I have pets, so I need something that's going to handle dog hair decently well. I live in an apartment. I have some area rugs, and hard wood floors.

I'd like to stay away from spending 500 bucks on a Dyson.

The Shark uprights seem to get good reviews.

Basically, I want something with good suction, that has attachments that aren't useless. I'd like to keep the price around $200 or so.

Lend me your vacuuming experiences.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    When I was single and poorer, I got this (hoover wind tunnel) off of Amazon based on a rating from consumer reports. It did me well, until I moved in with someone who had a dyson, and now my vacuum is in storage, but it is a good vacuum for about a hundred bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HFDLCK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah and that retractable power cord is like masturbating on a million bucks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    wow Bowen, that is quite an endorsement.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Its a bit pricey but it beats the pants off everything else out there
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YIXK2A?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=as2

It also was recently recommended by The Wirecutter/The Sweethome some people are turned off that it uses bags but it takes a much effort to change a bag as it does to change the container out of a bag-less.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just subscribe to Woot's newsletter and grab a Dyson for 200 or so, they're up their all the time.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    iRevert wrote: »
    Its a bit pricey but it beats the pants off everything else out there
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YIXK2A?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=as2

It also was recently recommended by The Wirecutter/The Sweethome some people are turned off that it uses bags but it takes a much effort to change a bag as it does to change the container out of a bag-less.
    From what I've been reading, bagged is the way to go.

So, I'm looking at bagged ones now.

I was also looking at the Miele S7210 :)

It's more than I want to spend, but at the end of the day, I'd rather spend a little more and have a cleaner apartment.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Stay away from Dyson.

We're huge fans of the Miele Delphi (S2121) we got last year.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Miele all the way. We got the Quartz and it has made our angst over anything dust-related to be basically 0. It's AMAZING. If you have kickboards or similar wall/floor trim, it lets you just vacuum it and be done, rather than dust+vacuum.
    Also - their canisters are generally better than their uprights, as the uprights are just a canister shoved in an upright body.

schuss on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    We have a roomba and then a separate high suction handheld black and decker thing with attachments.

I love that roomba and the super high suction on the handheld is very nice.

But, those options end up exceeding your budget.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Miele all the way. We got the Quartz and it has made our angst over anything dust-related to be basically 0. It's AMAZING. If you have kickboards or similar wall/floor trim, it lets you just vacuum it and be done, rather than dust+vacuum.
    Also - their canisters are generally better than their uprights, as the uprights are just a canister shoved in an upright body.
    I was looking at the canister models, but they kinda look like a pain in the ass.

A couple of my rugs are shag and it seems like the heft of an upright would make things easier / faster.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    I was looking at the canister models, but they kinda look like a pain in the ass.

A couple of my rugs are shag and it seems like the heft of an upright would make things easier / faster.

I really don't see how that would be the case. The range on them is pretty nuts and they're incredibly lightweight. Heft isn't what makes rugs easy - spinny brushes at the right height make things easy.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have that cheap Hoover and it works OK for $100. One cat, weekly vacuuming and it's held up. Filters are washable which makes a big difference.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I cannot shill hard enough for a Dyson.

Ours is fucking magic. Also, I dropped a part of it and broke it. $40 for a new part shipped to me, it's like brand new again.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Look, I don't have enough Forum Magic to highlight the dude who said "Stay Away From a Dyson" with no explanation, but goddamn if that isn't one of the dumbest things I've seen on this forum.

Watch Amazon / Woot / Newegg, what the fuck and find a Dyson refubr for ~$200. Seriously. You won't regret it.

EDIT: The idea that BAGS > Canister is also stupid. Why would you purposefully pick a vacuum that required you to order extra parts that are not easily found at your local store regularly. Seriously take a look at your local Target / Walmart / what the fuck and see how many bags they have for you. THE ANSWER? THEY HAVE NONE FOR THE MODEL YOU OWN!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I picked up the cordless Dyson DC45 and it's pretty much the cat's meow.

Vacuuming an apartment with no cords or hoses is freedom.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    About a month ago we got a Dyson DC33 from Walmart for something like $290 (they were being discontinued). It's amazing. I do the vacuuming and have used a lot of vacuums over the years, and this is by far the best one I've owned. You can just feel it trying to suck up the floor. I really like the canister design where it easily pops out and then the bottom opens with the the push of a button. I also really like not having to do anything extra to use the wand. It doubles as the handle and you just pull it out and use it. My old vacuum required turning it off, unplugging the tube from the bottom and plugging it into the back, then getting the extension attachment off of it and putting that on. Then undo all of that to go back to vacuuming.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How in the shit is bagged supposed to be better than bagless?

Enquiring minds want to know!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Ours is fucking magic. Also, I dropped a part of it and broke it. $40 for a new part shipped to me, it's like brand new again.

This. Say what you will about the price tag, but they're amazing.

We have the ball pet model, forget the name. It's incredible. The first time we vacuumed our entire house we had to empty the canister like 8 times.

That's not a knock against the size of the canister, it's a knock on every other vacuum that went through our house in ever.

The only problem we ever had was the upright stance not triggering the hose suction, but I flipped it over, pushed a little clicky part that didn't.. click.. and have never had a problem for years. They're warranties for a long time, support is great through Dyson, and they work. No consumable parts either--just wash the filters when you get your reminder e-mails.

Again, pricey, but you get what you pay for.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    EDIT: The idea that BAGS > Canister is also stupid. Why would you purposefully pick a vacuum that required you to order extra parts that are not easily found at your local store regularly. Seriously take a look at your local Target / Walmart / what the fuck and see how many bags they have for you. THE ANSWER? THEY HAVE NONE FOR THE MODEL YOU OWN!

This. We have an old ass vacuum I keep in the garage for the cars/dirty shit, and I can't for the life of me find any bags for it. What a stupid, outdated system. Once the current bag rips (I keep just emptying it out) I'll have to invest in a shop vac for the garage.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »

This. Say what you will about the price tag, but they're amazing.

We have the ball pet model, forget the name. It's incredible. The first time we vacuumed our entire house we had to empty the canister like 8 times.

That's not a knock against the size of the canister, it's a knock on every other vacuum that went through our house in ever.

The only problem we ever had was the upright stance not triggering the hose suction, but I flipped it over, pushed a little clicky part that didn't.. click.. and have never had a problem for years. They're warranties for a long time, support is great through Dyson, and they work. No consumable parts either--just wash the filters when you get your reminder e-mails.

Again, pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I had the same thing when I first moved into my current apartment. My girlfriend Amy had some terrible cheap piece of shit vacuum cleaner that made things look fairly clean. My Mum lent Amy her mega dollar German-made vacuum she'd just bought recently (something like $1k) that was all aluminum and stainless steel and heavy ABS plastic and the wheels had actual ball bearings in them and the motorised head had this big electric motor hanging off it with its own power wires running down the outside of the tube. I decided I was going to get us a decent vacuum of our own because a large whitegoods retailer was having a sale, and we went and bought a DC11.

Now, we'd used Mum's genetically superior master-race vacuum a couple of times and it did a much better job than the cheapo crap thing Amy had. So I decided to see if our new vacuum would pick up anything that ze Cherman UBER-CLEANER might have missed. Took 4 bags (sand is a son of a bitch of a thing to have in your garden) out of a 5-pack, we obviously had to go buy her another pack from the one store that sold those vacuums, and it was something like $20 for the packet.

I had to empty the Dyson barrel twice. In a 3-room apartment. Directly after having vacuumed already vis ze Messerschmidt.

• Options
    Bags are better for allergies, as things like the Miele bags seal themselves off and you never have to deal with that dust during emptying. This is actually a pretty big deal for my wife, who's very allergic.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

So!

There's a reason they made vacuums with bags in the first place. It's not a canister was unheard of technology back then. The bag serves two funtions: dust collection and filter. On a standard canister vacuum the filter is fairly small, and becomes saturated in dust quickly. You can usually clean those filters to some extent, but after a while the paper is going to be permeated and it will need to be replaced.
    With a bagged vacuum, you have a much larger filter area as well as a guaranteed replacement schedule. People also remember them being a lot dirtier then they actually are. The biggest problem was the printer cartridge/razor refill style business model. They burned enough consumers for so long that most people don't want to do bags ever again.

At any rate, I think these days the just stick wacky powerful motors in canister vacs so the filter issue doesn't really matter. And of course dyson (and others!) do the cyclone centrifuge thing, which is probably the best solution overall.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Bags are better for allergies, as things like the Miele bags seal themselves off and you never have to deal with that dust during emptying. This is actually a pretty big deal for my wife, who's very allergic.
    Aioua wrote: »

So!

There's a reason they made vacuums with bags in the first place. It's not a canister was unheard of technology back then. The bag serves two funtions: dust collection and filter. On a standard canister vacuum the filter is fairly small, and becomes saturated in dust quickly. You can usually clean those filters to some extent, but after a while the paper is going to be permeated and it will need to be replaced.
    With a bagged vacuum, you have a much larger filter area as well as a guaranteed replacement schedule. People also remember them being a lot dirtier then they actually are. The biggest problem was the printer cartridge/razor refill style business model. They burned enough consumers for so long that most people don't want to do bags ever again.

At any rate, I think these days the just stick wacky powerful motors in canister vacs so the filter issue doesn't really matter. And of course dyson (and others!) do the cyclone centrifuge thing, which is probably the best solution overall.

Both your points are irrelevant if you get a Dyson. HEPA+ filters, one touch emptying, problem solvered. I go outside to the big garbage bin, open the lid, stand upwind, press the button, shake the canister, give it a flick to swing the door shut, put lid back on bin. No mess no fuss no dust anywhere near me. If you want I can upload.a video for you of me doing exactly that?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    We have a bagless vacuum, and one of the "catches" behind it is that when it comes time to replace the filter (which they suggest be done every 6 months I think or something) they're 60 fucking dollars. Though honestly I don't know what the price of bags are and if the math works out in their favor or not. Either way though we stretch our filter replacement to a year but also actively clean the thing out every major vacuuming. Preventive maintenance and all that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

So!

Both your points are irrelevant if you get a Dyson. HEPA+ filters, one touch emptying, problem solvered. I go outside to the big garbage bin, open the lid, stand upwind, press the button, shake the canister, give it a flick to swing the door shut, put lid back on bin. No mess no fuss no dust anywhere near me. If you want I can upload.a video for you of me doing exactly that?

I'm not the allergic person. I've used both methods and trust me, the sealed bags are better and cleaner. I'm not hating on the Dyson.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sorry I am late to the party. I have a Eureka Airspeed Rewind Pet Vacuum:

http://www.eureka.com/en-US/Vacuums/Uprights/AirSpeed/Uprights-AirSpeedRewindPet-AS1041A.aspx

It is fantastic. Sturdy build, great construction, fair price. The attachments fit snuggly into their holsters, and hold up well under near daily use. I have not had a problem with the bagless system. The filter is pretty easy to clean, as well.

I am super-anal retentive about cleanliness and quite picky about cleaning supplies / tools. This model meets all my needs and serves me well.

It is priced around $120, and I think it worth that amount. Dysons are far too expensive, and a cheaper $50ish one won't adequately clean.

This Eureka model is definitely worth the price.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I used bag models before. It sucks because after about a year you can't find your bags anymore.

So, fuck that. Never again. I'm allergic to dust too, but that's what these are for.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Also, I dropped a part of it and broke it. $40 for a new part shipped to me, it's like brand new again.

Cleaning/allergy qualities aside, spare parts are a big plus for Dysons; they've only ever made a relatively few different models, so replacement brushes/pipes/whatever are easy to find, and there's plenty of replica parts on eBay because Dysons have sold well enough it's worth people making knockoffs. The filters do need cleaning, but that just means take it out, run it under warm water for a while, dry it on a windowsill, voila.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Damn you people. Why am I looking at $500 vacuum cleaners when I already have a Neato?

• Options
    Also, I dropped a part of it and broke it. $40 for a new part shipped to me, it's like brand new again.

Cleaning/allergy qualities aside, spare parts are a big plus for Dysons; they've only ever made a relatively few different models, so replacement brushes/pipes/whatever are easy to find, and there's plenty of replica parts on eBay because Dysons have sold well enough it's worth people making knockoffs. The filters do need cleaning, but that just means take it out, run it under warm water for a while, dry it on a windowsill, voila.

The part I'm talking about was the outside and bottom of the barrel itself, otherwise known as the bin assembly. $40 including shipping, I didn't even bother looking for non-genuine parts.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    We got a Shark Navigator 3 in 1 as a cheaper alternative to a Dyson. We've been using it for almost a year and it's been great so far. It empties easily, filters are easy to find, and it's quite powerful:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/shark-reg-rotator-professional-3-in-1-lift-away-reg-vacuum/1040446653

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so todays woot (6/10/2014) is a reconditioned Dyson for $250 , a DC40 ball

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Dysons simply leave a hell of a lot of dirt behind. They also use a ton of plastic parts that break easily. They're not particularly durable nor do they pick up a ton of dirt, so for the money you spend on them you're far better off going with another brand. Dyson is basically the Bose of vacuum - you're paying more for their marketing than their quality. They're not awful, but you can do a lot better for the money.

If you get one and are happy with it, that's great. My experience with them (I owned two before moving on to a Miele) hasn't been great and I wouldn't recommend them.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bought a vacuum!

I got a Miele S2 Homecare+SEB

It's a model that isn't sold online, you have to get it from a brick and mortar store.

If you're interested:

http://www.mieleusa.com/usa/vacuums/popUp/feature.asp?series=80&feature=218&model=363&cat=1&subcat=1

I think mine has some accessories that aren't listed on the site.

With tax and such it was 582.

It's rad as fuck, and built like a god damn tank.

Super happy with the place I got it from. If you're in the Chicago area check out these guys: http://www.bestvacuum.com/

You get a free box of bags, and once a year they'll clean your machine in and out, and give it a check up for free.

If you buy a Miele, and the model you got is discontinued, they guarantee parts and bags for 15 years from the date it's discontinued. The guy at the vacuum store said he services 30 year old Miele vacuums have has no problem getting parts.

So that's that. Thanks for lending your experiences H/A :)

mcp on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I don't know if they still do but did they have instructions on how to open the box on the box?

I always get a giggle when I see german packaging like that.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Welcome the Miele club of people who are entirely too excited to talk about their vacuum.

• Options
    Looks like you got one with the motorized brush, right? That was key for us and I'm glad I didn't cheap out there.

Congrats and welcome to the Care Way Too Much About Our Vacuums Club™

• Options
    iRevert wrote: »
    I don't know if they still do but did they have instructions on how to open the box on the box?

I always get a giggle when I see german packaging like that.
    I didn't look! Now, I'm sad I didn't.

It did have a cutout on it where you could reach in and grab the canister handle. Made carrying the box super easy.
    Six wrote: »
    Looks like you got one with the motorized brush, right? That was key for us and I'm glad I didn't cheap out there.

Congrats and welcome to the Care Way Too Much About Our Vacuums Club™
    I would probably be kind of annoyed if I didn't get the motorized brush. Picking up dog hair from carpet is difficult without it.

I like that it has some kind of cut off in it. So, if you pick something up that jams the roller, it turns the motor off. I had it a little too low, and it picked my runner up off the floor. Thing's got power.

• Options
    Indeed. It's also handy for us when we switch from vacuuming carpet to hardwood - just switch off the rotor at the top and keep going.