As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cancelled TV Shows (and shows that wouldn't go away)

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh yea, I watched one episode because the girl was cute. Cute girls get me to watch anything. For example, that's why I watched the McCarthy's... though for some weird reason I actually find it funny every once in awhile.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    useless4 wrote: »
    Oh yea, I watched one episode because the girl was cute. Cute girls get me to watch anything. For example, that's why I watched the McCarthy's... though for some weird reason I actually find it funny every once in awhile.

Watch Caprica. Cute girls errywhere.

caprica-tv-movie-poster-2009-1010681006.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    useless4 wrote: »

She's also in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgELa5nCKA

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So the show "Selfie," the "My Fair Lady" remake starring John Cho and Karen Gillan, turned out to be a lot better than the title and the pilot episode suggested it would be.

I think that one of the bigger problems is that they marketed the show to seem as unlikable as possible (on the premise that this is what Henry needs to fix.). Of course, they didn't seem to account for the idea that most audiences would simply tune out of the show entirely, rather than staying for the fix.

The only ad that made the show seem any good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk3g2Bynxqs

Highlights from episodes 1-5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5zpU9swo0

Highlights from episode 6-10:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwB3N48atXE

The show started getting really good by episode 5. Unfortunately, that's when ABC decided to give up on it.

http://www.hulu.com/selfie

oh what the hell

this show looks all kinds of better now

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sarah Connor Chronicles, I'd do terrible things to get one more season of that especially with the way it ended
    Liquid vs Solid civil war? give me please

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    This means there are episodes of Selfie that I have not watched and can now watch, since they never aired eps 8,9,10

Currently, there's a campaign to try to get Hulu to take over the show and bring it back for a second season.

Will it happen? No idea.

But I hope so.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Selfie was a stealth better off ted with more focus on the main 2 characters rather than the workplace itself. It kept sneaking in dark stuff though with crazy lab workers "Why would we buy drugs? we have a pharmaceutical grade laboratory downstairs. Lets snort baby aspirin and strangle a drifter."

Speaking of, how amazing was better off ted?
    http://youtu.be/Q_bPobs8T5w

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Selfie was killed by its name. Like Cougartown and Antisemitism funtime hour.

It wasnt even an hour long show!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBkVuT5pw1g

ABC has this habit of picking the worse possible titles in an attempt to say, "We're so confident about this show that we're going to take this word everyone hates and turn it around!"

And then they'll cancel the show after about a month on air.

Interesting thing about Selfie is that even at it's worse, the ratings were on par with the end of Season 2 Community. Meaning more people watched the last episode people aired of "Selfie" than the conclusion of Paintball.

So if Selfie was on NBC, it would have gone on for 10 more seasons.

BTW, apparently you can also watch Selfie if you have Xfinity on Demand.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Selfie/8519596797931355112/full-episodes

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Cougartown still has a season left on TBS. They really should have changed the name when they picked it up. No one wants to a show with a flash in the pan pop culture reference as its title and the show had absolutely nothing to do with cougars.

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    Cougartown still has a season left on TBS. They really should have changed the name when they picked it up. No one wants to a show with a flash in the pan pop culture reference as its title and the show had absolutely nothing to do with cougars.

So it's not a show about Washington University?

That sucks.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Barb is all about being a cougar. Jewel tried being one in the first season, and it seems that Lori is one now. If Ellie wasn't married, she would totally be a cougar too.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I never watched Selfie even though I liked both the mains because the concept seemed... selloutish. Like Blackish sounds like a self aware Cosby show. They sound like filler shows until a good show comes along.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I was very much unaware that Selfie was as good as it was.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

So it's not a show about Washington State University?

That sucks.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I never watched Selfie even though I liked both the mains because the concept seemed... selloutish. Like Blackish sounds like a self aware Cosby show. They sound like filler shows until a good show comes along.

Let's face it, the marketing was terrible.

Honestly, I think Karen Gillan's performance from episode 10 is some of the best TV acting I've seen in a long, long time. There's just so many layers when she's calling out John Cho's character on his BS.

And you would never expect her to have that in her from the way the show was marketed.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The only two shows I can think of that have not anyway been mentioned are The Oblongs and Boston Legal. Really like both shows and felt they were canceled early.

Hmm thinking about it both shows have a bit of social commentary in them so maybe that is what drew me to them. Either way I really enjoyed them.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on a second season of Profit.

Such a good show.

khgq1nnvg5ge.jpg

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I miss Two.

Basically guy gets framed for killing a bunch of people by his (previously unknown) twin. First thinks he's going crazy but then the brother drops by and says "I was suppose to have the happy life with you but your adopted parents didn't want the 2-for-1 deal so I got shuffled off into an abusive house. So I'm blaming you and framing you for all the murder I'm going to do because I got a tumor that's going to kill me soon."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I would have liked all four college years of Undeclared. I think it's pretty tight comedy from what I remember.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I really liked Mission Hill. Wish Adult Swim would have picked it up back when they were airing all of cancelled animated shows.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    If I ever find the executive who killed Pushing Daisies, I am....going to say some rude things

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I loved Mission Hill.

I am also annoyed that Undergrads didn't get beyond the first season.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    If I ever find the executive who killed Pushing Daisies, I am....going to say some rude things

At least it got a longer run than Wonderfalls before it, but it was on Fox so no surprise there. Glad that Bryan Fuller's had more success with Hannibal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Continuum is gearing up for its final season. Six episodes in 2015. I'm going to miss that show.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So aside from Comcast only orderimg the episodes by air date, and all of them being wrong, plus Im pretty sure theyre missing the first two episodes, Selfie is not bad.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Selfie is wonderful and I'd love to see it reincarnated -somewhere-

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    My top one by far is Utopia. A fantastic conspiracy thriller with so many twists and turns it's unreal. Only has 12 episodes over the course of two series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhPTUog6DWc

Also the use of colour and music in it gives me chills.

Other than that I was kinda sad to find 4400 got cancelled after it's season 4 finale. That show did a really good job of not feeling like it had too much filler and keeping the plot moving. Plus it was a reasonably interesting premise.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    If we got Boy Meets World back with Girl Meets World, why can we get Sabrina the Single Mom Witch? I really liked the Teenage Witch show and we should get a show with Sabrina dealing with her daughter getting witch powers.

Something better then Melissa and Joey.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    Selfie is wonderful and I'd love to see it reincarnated -somewhere-

Really, all the show really needs is a new title and a different trailer, and a new network could completely remarket it as a new show. Just call it a "network" premiere and pretend that "Selfie" never happened. Fans will follow the show regardless, and people who never gave the show a chance because of the title would give it a shot.

Because the #1 reason people give for avoiding the show is, "I hate the title, and the trailer looks dumb."

BTW, it looks like they recorded multiple versions of the same lines. In the last episode, Henry refers to his assistant as a "piece of shit." Which probably wouldn't have aired on ABC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du9gfeFcb8M

Anyway, there's a big effort to get someone else to take over right now, so try spread the word. :) The latest episode ranked pretty high on Hulu's popularity, despite the total lack of marketing, so it would be good if they could keep that up.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    This will sound terribly shallow, but I really enjoy looking at Karen Gillion.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Perhaps I can interest you in Karen Gillan dressed as the pink ranger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIZivAH76ns

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I uh. I uhm.

Huh.

There's so many layers of...

Something going on right now.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    If we got Boy Meets World back with Girl Meets World, why can we get Sabrina the Single Mom Witch? I really liked the Teenage Witch show and we should get a show with Sabrina dealing with her daughter getting witch powers.

Because Archie comics was apparently not a big fan of the final seasons.

Girl Meets world has so much potential I really hope it drops the " Disney channel original sitcom" garbage that's holding it back.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    My top one by far is Utopia. A fantastic conspiracy thriller with so many twists and turns it's unreal. Only has 12 episodes over the course of two series.

This show is awesome. The visuals are just so good.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Sarah Connor Chronicles, I'd do terrible things to get one more season of that especially with the way it ended
    Liquid vs Solid civil war? give me please

I think they intentionally ended the show that way because they knew they would never get the budget to do the future war between humans and machines.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Continuum is gearing up for its final season. Six episodes in 2015. I'm going to miss that show.

Wait... does that mean there are only six episodes left?!

Ugh. I fucking love that show. There are some hokey moments/elements, but I can't think of a show that handles the ideas surrounding class warfare better. Plus, Rachel Nichols on my TV every week :winky:

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

This show is awesome. The visuals are just so good.

I've only seen the first series, and while I admit that it's often striking to look at, and there are many set pieces that stand out, the actual show--the plot and the characters--ranges from stupid to obnoxious. It's really a shame.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular

Because Archie comics was apparently not a big fan of the final seasons.

Girl Meets world has so much potential I really hope it drops the " Disney channel original sitcom" garbage that's holding it back.

Apparently Eric Matthews and Mr. Feeny are showing up on the next season, so I know I'll catch those two episodes, just like I caught the one that just aired with the return of Shawn.

And about Selfie, like everyone has said, it really did turn into a really good show with actual characters. It's actually kinda impressive how quickly that show course corrected on its own.

And if nothing else, Karen Gillian's legs should have their own tv show.