As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cancelled TV Shows (and shows that wouldn't go away)

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh man speaking of shows that went on too long...

When Prison Break first came out I was so happy they they'd clearly designed a show to last only one season. It would burn hot and bright and then die.

Then they made more.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

When Prison Break first came out I was so happy they they'd clearly designed a show to last only one season. It would burn hot and bright and then die.

Then they made more.

I watched the whole series because it was just god damned COMICAL.

That show was the living avatar of "Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Put me down for the following:

2. Avengers, earths mightiest heroes. I have absolutely no idea why this show was cancelled. It was fun, had lots of action, did interesting season long arcs, presented characters in interesting light... and it got replaced by something that would make the most ADD riddled spaz say "Please, for the love of Christ slow the fuck down."

I can't stand the new Avengers show. It's literally the same show (plus a few extra characters) except far, far inferior to EMH.
    I heard it got cancelled because they brought in a new Head Exec type guy and he ordered a big shake up of existing shows. Apparently that's not uncommon. I don't know if it's true or not.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I watched it all too, but the first season was so good and then it just went nuts.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Kings, also.

I liked Kings.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    You know what else were two pretty good shows that got canceled?

Flash Forward. Had an interesting premise. I thought that the stuff they did with it was pretty cool and it has some mystery about it. Very cool, and then nothing. I mean, the ending wasn't terrible, but I would have liked another season or two.

Journeyman was also pretty neat. Jumping around in time and helping people. Kinda like quantum leap, but without the possession thing.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Firefly is not that great

great few episodes but quality feel like a stone on the back half of the first season

and the movie was Whedon basically shoving three seasons worth of plot reveals into an hour and a half

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Heres an controversial one but I do believe Friends should have ended when Rachael had the baby. I mean the ending to Friends was fine in itself but that moment just felt like a suitable peak to end on.

Same with Only Fools and Horses, when the ultimate solution to the scrimping and dealings are solved with the watch episode. It was a perfect ending for everyone, but it just had to keep going.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    It's been 20 years since I last saw it, so it might not hold up as well as I remember, but I really wish there had been more The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    It's been 20 years since I last saw it, so it might not hold up as well as I remember, but I really wish there had been more The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr.

No you don't...

I loved that show when it aired and I was a kid, but a couple of years ago I bought the complete series DVD and watched my way through it. It was extremely painful and I fell asleep watching several episodes. The pilot was great and the series finale was decent, but pretty much every episode in between was terrible.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    KINGS

Kings was a fantastic television series that was basically impossible for NBC to effectively market, because the very concept behind it was so strange that I actually have a hard time explaining it to people.

It was essentially a modern retelling of the rise of King David, from the slaying of Goliath to his ascension as king to his eventual downfall. But wait! It's not really a Bible story, though.

It's actually an alternate universe story, about some other world where there's a kingdom called Gilboa. Gilboa appears culturally to be very much like modern (if not actually near-future) America, but is also an absolute monarchy, ruled by King Silas Benjamin. Also, the David of this story is actually a soldier named David Shepard, who destroys a Goliath-class Main Battle Tank during Gilboa's war with their neighbor, the military dictatorship of Gath.

David's destruction of the Goliath tank (and his subsequent albeit accidental rescue of the King's son and the crown prince, Jack Benjamin), throws him into the national Gilboa spotlight and brings him close to the royal family. It also garners him the affection of the princess, Michelle.

When David attempts to use his war hero status and close ties to the royal family to help bring the bloody war with Gath to a close (a war that has cost his own family dearly), this runs him afoul of the Queen's brother, William Cross, CEO of CrossGen. CrossGen is all wrapped in Gilboa's military industrial complex and isn't cool with peace with Gath.

And that's just scratching the surface of some of the plots, sub-plots, character arcs, etc. this show got in one season.

Of being some weird, alternate universe sci-fi story retelling about a Biblical figure. Yeah.

It had really low ratings despite being really fucking good because NBC had no fucking clue had to market this weird ass show, and I can't even really blame them for that because I don't even know how to describe it without sounding like a crazy person.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Listen, you little gobshites. We burned Washington DC to the ground in 1814, and I'm all for doing it again - starting with you frat boys who decided not to greenlight our American spinoff. I don't care that we still got Veep out of the deal. My name is Malcolm Tucker, and if I find out out it was you who turned down The Thick Of It, I will marshal all the forces of darkness to hound you into an assisted suicide by stuffing so much cotton wool down your throat it'll come out your arse like the tail on a Playboy Bunny.

And don't ever call me Eff Star Star King English again.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »

2. Avengers, earths mightiest heroes. I have absolutely no idea why this show was cancelled. It was fun, had lots of action, did interesting season long arcs, presented characters in interesting light... and it got replaced by something that would make the most ADD riddled spaz say "Please, for the love of Christ slow the fuck down."

I can't stand the new Avengers show. It's literally the same show (plus a few extra characters) except far, far inferior to EMH.
    I heard it got cancelled because they brought in a new Head Exec type guy and he ordered a big shake up of existing shows. Apparently that's not uncommon. I don't know if it's true or not.

That would be Jeph loeb, the man who never saw a franchise he couldn't find a way to fuck up.

Like, I'm convinced that he must have given Stqan Lee a kidney for the amount of clout he has wound up with at marvel in comparison to the actual quality of his work.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Day Break was awesome, and I'm so happy that it only had one season, because that is all it needed. It sits up there with Journeyman for me - great shows that were cancelled after one season with the arc wrapped up but some bigger questions remaining. And that's fine, because I remember them as good, unlike say the X-Files and Heroes, which just meandered along getting worse and worse.

Evermourn on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I think Angel could have used one more season. Maybe I'm being greedy but season 5 was so, so good.

That reminds me: Bones has been on too long, unless it's become substantially better in the last two seasons I haven't been watching.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I think Angel could have used one more season. Maybe I'm being greedy but season 5 was so, so good.

Eeeeehhhhh. Angel was getting pretty silly by the end there. I think it arguably ended perfectly.

And given what actually happens in the Season 6 comics...

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I remember correctly, Angel had some behind the scenes problems in season 4 and 5 that hurt it quite a bit. Another season would have been good if they had been able to fix those problems.

In fact, a lot of short lived shows that had dips in quality were the result of internal politics, especially "creative differences" between the show runners and the studio/network.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Kings would've appealed all that much to the evangelical audience; it didn't strike me as catering to that sort of worldview. After all, it's not like that audience embraced Noah just because it's based on the Bible. Kings didn't really seem to have any interest in catering to a devoutly, conservatively religious audience.

In any case, though, it's a series that would have deserved to go on for longer, in spite of a boring actor playing David. It was all about King Silas anyway.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

No you don't...

I loved that show when it aired and I was a kid, but a couple of years ago I bought the complete series DVD and watched my way through it. It was extremely painful and I fell asleep watching several episodes. The pilot was great and the series finale was decent, but pretty much every episode in between was terrible.

That's a shame. Well then I wish there had been a good pulpy sci-fi cowboy action comedy show. Also, looking over the plot of the show on wikipedia, it was basically part of the Assassin's Creed world.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's plenty of shows that I'd like to see more of, but Kings has to be the best of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Rome
    Just an excellent show all round that deserved better than what it got. It managed to create an authentic Rome while having some of the best characters on tv. The world needs more Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus.

very much the spiritual predecessor to GOT

Stargate Universe

Even in it's real shitty first ten episodes there were some bright spots, like the ship recharging in the sun and the time travel episode. it was one of the only shows on television that really appreciated the vastness of the universe and also had the best aliens on television.

Made even worse by the fact that it became the show it really needed to be in its last few episodes which were fantastic.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The fact that Two and a Half Men has been renewed for an 11th season should tell future generations everything they need to know about this era of television. :|

My God, make it stop.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    The thing about Stargate Universe was that it took one of the more interesting elements of the franchise and made it a non factor in that series. Going to new planets with wildly different cultures, or even going to worlds with a similar history where one minor difference created a wildly different culture was one of my favorite parts of SG1, but SGU basically put everyone on a ship in the middle of nowhere where they couldn't interact with anyone because the creators wanted it to be more character driven. The problem was there characters just weren't interesting enough to carry what ended up being a bottle episode every episode. By the time they course corrected it was too late and they may have killed our chances of ever getting another series in that universe.
    One of the most frustrating things about SGU to me was that they set up this interesting moral question with the body possession and then didn't even acknowledge the morality problem, much less actually explore it. But Roland Emmerich is planning on rebooting the movie at some point, so maybe we'll get another series yet.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I really liked Dollhouse. The last couple episodes of Season 2 are just awesome.

The first sentence is right, the second is wrong.

Dollhouse was finding it's footing around end of S1, beginning of S2 but the end of S2 was not just a rush job, but also contained some truly stupidly stupid ideas like the reveal of who was the boss (you know what I'm talking about) and basically all of Epitaph Pt 2.

Dollhouse was kind of weird.

Whedon originally planned for it to be a few seasons, so it had an intentionally slow start. Introduce characters, build into things, ramp up instead of throwing us into the thick of things five minutes in.

Then he was told the show was probably going to be canceled. All of a sudden he had to throw all of his multi-season plans together into just a few episodes. All of his planning went by the wayside as he tried to actually get a completed story with the truncated time. To make things even more rushed, he wasn't getting a full season. Fox didn't air the final episode of season one.

Except that it did actually get renewed. Whedon's original plan was boned and he hadn't really left himself much wiggle room to continue a plot. So season two ended up being completely fucked. I almost have a feeling he just didn't give a shit halfway through. The boss reveal was one of the few things I remember about season two. Memorable entirely because of how ridiculously fucking terrible and nonsensical it was.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Oh god, SGU... That was a shit storm of bad writing. It had one interesting character played by Robert Carlyle... and 7 crappy wastes of time and energy. I could go on and on about how a good premise was let down by shitty writing and bad acting, but life is too fucking short.

It had a character that got the nickname Tits Mcgee for well having tits. And for the way the show centered shots of her character in a manner that showed off her tits at every opportunity. Said character was introduced fucking another male character in a broom closet. An event that was never referenced again as he hooked up with the main female character chronologically two days later and both of them declaring their true love. Despite the show never showing them talking, meeting or anything before cutting to them in bed together.

Tits McGee later gives a 2 minute speech about how widowers are the best boyfriend material. They also had an recurring Asian chick who dealt with being stranded on a space ship a billion light years from Earth by fucking every guy she could get her hands on. And that's just the women, the other parts of the show was just as bad.

People say it got good after 10 episodes, but having seen the entire season 1 I dispute that. SGU is a show that should have been canceled before reaching 10 episodes. Its not even bad in a "so bad, its good" kind of way. Its bad, plain and simple.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    SGU was crap. Good riddance.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

Then they made more.

I watched the whole series because it was just god damned COMICAL.

That show was the living avatar of "Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!"
    It was also written like a comic book. You never actually got one episode, you got two halves, so that it ALWAYS ended on a cliffhanger.

My vote for Not Long Enough (sort of) is My Generation. The series itself was 8 episodes, and had a complete season arc, but the show was cancelled after the second episode, and the remaining 6 were shunted to Hulu several months later.

edit:
    There's plenty of shows that I'd like to see more of, but Kings has to be the best of them.
    The deleted scenes from the finale set up what would have been an incredible S2.
    Coinage wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    The thing about Stargate Universe was that it took one of the more interesting elements of the franchise and made it a non factor in that series. Going to new planets with wildly different cultures, or even going to worlds with a similar history where one minor difference created a wildly different culture was one of my favorite parts of SG1, but SGU basically put everyone on a ship in the middle of nowhere where they couldn't interact with anyone because the creators wanted it to be more character driven. The problem was there characters just weren't interesting enough to carry what ended up being a bottle episode every episode. By the time they course corrected it was too late and they may have killed our chances of ever getting another series in that universe.
    One of the most frustrating things about SGU to me was that they set up this interesting moral question with the body possession and then didn't even acknowledge the morality problem, much less actually explore it. But Roland Emmerich is planning on rebooting the movie at some point, so maybe we'll get another series yet.
    They did kind of talk about it, but it was in side-stuff. There was a series of shorts that were basically filmed from the Kinos' perspective, and that was one of the subjects. Apparently all the participants have to sign waivers and stuff like that.

SGU did get better, but not until after it got cancelled, in the second half of the second season. They had an AU-like episode which was actually pretty excellent since it showed everyone colonizing a planet and creating a civilization. It totally worked as a series finale send-off as well, except it wasn't the last episode.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't care about spoilers for Dollhouse, can someone tell me either here in spoiler tags or in PM just what exactly the 'boss reveal' is? I did a quick look online but 'doll house season 2 boss reveal' doesnt get me very far on google.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Oh god, SGU... That was a shit storm of bad writing. It had one interesting character played by Robert Carlyle... and 7 crappy wastes of time and energy. I could go on and on about how a good premise was let down by shitty writing and bad acting, but life is too fucking short.

It had a character that got the nickname Tits Mcgee for well having tits. And for the way the show centered shots of her character in a manner that showed off her tits at every opportunity. Said character was introduced fucking another male character in a broom closet. An event that was never referenced again as he hooked up with the main female character chronologically two days later and both of them declaring their true love. Despite the show never showing them talking, meeting or anything before cutting to them in bed together.

Tits McGee later gives a 2 minute speech about how widowers are the best boyfriend material. They also had an recurring Asian chick who dealt with being stranded on a space ship a billion light years from Earth by fucking every guy she could get her hands on. And that's just the women, the other parts of the show was just as bad.

People say it got good after 10 episodes, but having seen the entire season 1 I dispute that. SGU is a show that should have been canceled before reaching 10 episodes. Its not even bad in a "so bad, its good" kind of way. Its bad, plain and simple.
    I remember none of this, but you have now sold me on a rewatch.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Kings was great. I just recently watched it and was amazed at how ballsy it could be, because like Pony said, it's such a weird show to describe. I have no idea how it even got 1 season.

Here's a couple more:
    Happy Endings- Probably the best 'hangout' sitcom in recent years, and I wished USA would have picked it up like they were rumored.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip- I know many don't like it, but I really dug it. I'll argue that it has one of the best pilots ever, and my hope would have been that Sorkin got a lot of his usual sentimental stuff out of the way in those last episodes, and the second season could have been more about the show itself.

• Options
    I don't care about spoilers for Dollhouse, can someone tell me either here in spoiler tags or in PM just what exactly the 'boss reveal' is? I did a quick look online but 'doll house season 2 boss reveal' doesnt get me very far on google.
    Echo's original handler was one of the founders of the company that created the DH tech... except that particular body was a Doll.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    At the start of the series, a guy named Boyd joins Rossum, the shadowy company that controls the Dollhouse. He's a former cop, now working security. He spends the next season and a half working closely with the good guys, particularly devoted to Echo (the main character). He's the voice of morality. Most of the other characters want money or power or science, but he always wheedles them about it.

Then at the end, it turns out he's actually the head of the company. He's never had any kind of human contact with just about anyone (for reasons). Of the main characters, only Echo had actually met him before in his role as head of Rossum... but she's had her memory wiped, so she didn't remember until the memory was restored towards the end of the series. Boyd had decided that there were some people who were very special to him, and he was going to turn the rest of the world into mindless slaves so he and those special people could be best friends forever. Those special people happened to be the main characters who, again, he had never actually met before the beginning of the series. That ambition is what set in motion most of the events of the series. He expected in his reveal that all of the main characters would decide that Boyd was a super cool guy and they should totally let him brainwash the world. They called him an asshole, and he threw a childish fit and tried to kill Echo.

Then the good guys wiped his memory and turned him into a suicide bomber to destroy the central computers of his own company.
    Sorce wrote: »
    Echo's original handler was one of the founders of the company that created the DH tech... except that particular body was a Doll.
    Boyd wasn't a Doll.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

That would be Jeff Loeb who axed all the animation he hadn't pitched. Jeff Loeb who didn't bother to read the first two miniseries of Ultimates when he was tapped to write the third.

Dude is horrible and has a history of ruining otherwise good things.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    You know which show has been on for too long? Big Bang Theory.

Apparently the well doesnt ever run dry on "nerds are awkward!" jokes, as it's been renewed up to 2017.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    At the start of the series, a guy named Boyd joins Rossum, the shadowy company that controls the Dollhouse. He's a former cop, now working security. He spends the next season and a half working closely with the good guys, particularly devoted to Echo (the main character). He's the voice of morality. Most of the other characters want money or power or science, but he always wheedles them about it.

Then at the end, it turns out he's actually the head of the company. He's never had any kind of human contact with just about anyone (for reasons). Of the main characters, only Echo had actually met him before in his role as head of Rossum... but she's had her memory wiped, so she didn't remember until the memory was restored towards the end of the series. Boyd had decided that there were some people who were very special to him, and he was going to turn the rest of the world into mindless slaves so he and those special people could be best friends forever. Those special people happened to be the main characters who, again, he had never actually met before the beginning of the series. That ambition is what set in motion most of the events of the series. He expected in his reveal that all of the main characters would decide that Boyd was a super cool guy and they should totally let him brainwash the world. They called him an asshole, and he threw a childish fit and tried to kill Echo.

Then the good guys wiped his memory and turned him into a suicide bomber to destroy the central computers of his own company.
    Boyd wasn't a Doll.

Thanks guys!

And...

Wow.

Morblitz on
  • Options

That would be Jeff Loeb who axed all the animation he hadn't pitched. Jeff Loeb who didn't bother to read the first two miniseries of Ultimates when he was tapped to write the third.

Did he also axe something to do with spider-man or the x-men for the same reasons? I seem to remember multiple shows ending rather abruptly.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Did he also axe something to do with spider-man or the x-men for the same reasons? I seem to remember multiple shows ending rather abruptly.

Spectacular Spiderman as well, yes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Boyd wasn't a Doll.
    I guess that comes down to how well they explained it, because I could've sworn they said he was.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That's a shame because I kind of liked that show. I tried to get into Ultimate Spider-Man, and while it held me for a while I eventually realised that it kind of sucked. Mainly because of all the insufferable fourth wall breaking spidey moments which you can't just ignore because the show segues into them at every opportunity. If it didn't have that it'd be a much better show.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm surprised that we've reached the bottom of page two and no one has mentioned Freaks and Geeks yet. Well-written, funny, and genuinely heart-warming, it launched the careers of Paul Feig, Judd Apatow, Seth Rogan, Jason Segel, James Franco, Linda Cardellini, and more. And it didn't even last a complete season before NBC pulled its plug.

http://youtu.be/RHTL4vTg2O0

Hedgethorn on