As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Games and Technology
fUj130Y.png
(Liberally borrowing the best of our old OP and the beauty of SE++)
THIS IS FOR: PC, Mac, iPad, and eventually Android and iPhone!

First information about the new Curse of Naxxramas expansion found here.

We like playing with each other sometimes: Add your Bnet Battletag here.

Vent and Teamspeak for discussing games!
Tournament Bracket

Naxxarams pricing/cards/basic info:

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Curse_of_Naxxramas

The game has FOUR play modes:
  • Constructed - Build a 30-card deck and fight people in ranked or unranked matches. Ranked has recently been majorly revamped.
  • Practice - Build a 30-card deck and fight really bad AI opponents to learn the INS AND OUTS of the game nothing.
  • Adventure - Play against AI opponents in themed events. Often features challenges using custom decks. Usually results in free cards.
  • Arena - Pay 150g, then pick a hero from a random selection of 3 heroes and draft a deck from a random pool of cards presented to you three at a time. Then battle other people who went through the same process to receive treasures!

Hearthstone revolves around two heroes summoning minions in a goal to bring the enemy hero to zero life. Think of it as a simpler version of Magic that favors quicker matches, and you're on the right track.

Here are class intros and pretty pictures:
hqFmg0H.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 1 Armor and +1 Attack this turn.
Style: Can accelerate with mana-boosting cards like Innervate. Many cards have two options, allowing for flexibility. Enjoys a good buff.
Weaknesses: Flexible cards tend to be overpriced. Weaker early game without acceleration. Lacks direct removal.
Rphexwt.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to opposing hero.
Style: Utilizes minions to rush down opponent. Great synergy with beast minions. Cheap removal.
Weaknesses: Removal tends to be random targets or secrets that can be played around. Beasts are typically mediocre without hunter synergies. Hero power has no effect on the board.
cYEGts4.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 1 damage to any character.
Style: Lots of direct damage spells, and spells in general. Very control-oriented, using freeze and removal to keep enemies at bay. Polymorph is one of the best removal spells. Strong AoE damage. Strong finisher via Pyroblast.
Weaknesses: Only has a handful of solid minions. Incredibly vulnerable without any spells. Can be hamstrung if opponent heals enough.
6gzI2hs.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit minion.
Style: Enjoys buffing minions and debuffing enemies. Great for weenie decks, but enjoys a slower, somewhat control-oriented game. Solid weapons, and lots of card draw.
Weaknesses: Has poor direct removal. Card draw is good, but either situational (Divine Favor) or expensive (Lay on Hands).
rUGXRhZ.jpg
Hero Power: Restores 2 HP to a character.
Style: Control-oriented. Loves to buff minions, particularly HP. Steals opponents' crap, potentially resulting in massive card advantage. Lots of direct removal.
Weaknesses: Weak in the early game. Direct removal is conditional or expensive. People will think you're a jerk.
ti4QiKo.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/2 weapon.
Unique Mechanic: Combo. Cards have an additional effect if you've already played a card earlier in the turn.
Style: Tends to go for rush-down. Lots of direct damage and weapons. Combo allows for cheap, powerful effects.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable late-game. Combo can lead to unfavorable opening hands. AoE spells tend to be poor.
CeahrWo.jpg
Hero Power: Summons one of the following totems at random: Stoneclaw (0/2 Taunt), Healing (0/2, restores 1 HP to all friendly minions at end of turn), Searing Totem (1/1), Wrath of Air (0/2, +1 Spell Damage)
Unique Mechanic: Overload. You will be unable to spend X mana on your next turn. Think Echo from Magic and you're on the right track.
Style: Has a lot of play styles, being able to sling spells, use weapons, and solid minions. Overload allows for very efficient turns. Hex is among the best direct removal.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable on turns AFTER overload. Hero power is random, which will burn you.
ac4sbkL.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 2 Armor.
Style: Incredibly aggressive, favoring a lot of cheap enrage minions, charge, and great weapons.
Weaknesses: Worst Hero Power in the game. Removal tends to be random or conditional (Execute, Brawl). Damage spells, particularly AoE, are poor. Takes a ton of damage from weapon use.
ptwglff.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to your hero. Draw a card.
Style: Can go for an aggressive early game with very cheap demons. Hero Power is among the best in the game. Good synergy with demons.
Weaknesses: Powerful cards tend to have bad drawbacks. Removal tends to be weak (Mortal Coil) or carry big drawbacks (Soulfire). Hero Power can hurt your late game.
Current Meta
The current kings of constructed are still control decks and their variants. Druids are probably the most common class at the top of the ladder with good removal and finishing combos in their class specific kit. On the other side of the coin, Murloc Warlock is as popular as it has been for 3 months and new Warrior/Hunter aggro decks are flooding the lower ranks with legendary viable budget decks. Every class (arguably except mage) is viable at a legend level, but matchups are pretty lopsided. Priests perform very well against control Paladins, Druids, Warlocks, and Warriors but really struggle with aggro decks. Shaman is seeing increased play as a midrange anti-aggro class; The Black Knight has dropped in usage and their taunts are becoming formidable again. Rogues are playing everything from aggro to board control to hard control with Headcrack and spell power. For more information, make a post! Many of us are willing to share our feelings on the best way each class can find success.

Grobian's list of less intuitive facts:
  • Max handsize is 10 cards. Any card over that is drawn then immediately destroyed.
  • You can't have more than 7 minions on the board.
  • If you draw from an empty deck, each "card" you draw instead damages you, beginning at 1 damage and increasing by 1 damage each draw.
  • If multiple things happen at the same time (e.g. trigger at the end of the turn) they happen in the order their respective cards have been played.
  • There are hidden quests/achievements that award gold, notably: 100g for beating all Expert AIs, 100g for playing every class to level 10 and 300g for 100 wins total.
  • The Shaman hero power always calls one of the 4 totems that isn't out yet. If you get a totem bounced to your hand, you can play a second one, though.
  • The hunter spell Animal Companion just calls a random of the 3 possible minions.
  • The Warlock spell Sense Demons gives you 1/1 imps for 1 mana if you don't have (any more) demons in your deck.
  • Stealth overrides Taunt, not the other way around.
  • Stealth is only for the enemy, you can buff your stealthed minions.
  • Priest: Shadowform refreshes your hero power, so you can use it twice in a turn.
  • Druid: Wild Growth at 10 mana crystals awards you a spell "Excess Mana" which draws a card for 0.
  • More comprehensive list of oddities here
Hearthstone strategy and resource links
Easy intro to Hearthstone in an image.
Full daily quest list here.
TeamLiquid's new Hearthstone siteLiquidHearth
TeamLiquid's Hearthstone Article Portal, a collection of all articles they've done. A good place to start.
HearthHead - Best Arena draft practice, decklists, deck builder, card db
Hearthpwn - Practice Arena drafts, decklists, deck builder, card db. Same stuff different layout.
Chrome Hearthstone Card mouseover extension - Easily find out what all those cards people are talking about do without leaving the thread!
Trump's Neutral Common guide for Arena

Decent streamers/youtube clips to watch, to learn!

Trump
Kripparian
Hafu
Ellohime
apDrop
ek0p
Reynad
Amaz
Guardsmanbob
Guardsmanbob

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    7ub0a9w7rl53.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    After playing on and off the last week, I think we are seeing the rise this season of heavy taunt usage. I notice this especially because i started playing a warrior control deck and it seems that around turn 8 people start dropping taunt after taunt mobs, blocking the typical garrosh finisher.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    It's all in reaction to the Miracle: hyper-aggro or more taunts than they can Sap.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Felt pretty good beating someone with a golden hero.

Also in response to the last thread I don't really mind zoo or any of the decks really. Of course I don't really expect to win every game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    After playing on and off the last week, I think we are seeing the rise this season of heavy taunt usage. I notice this especially because i started playing a warrior control deck and it seems that around turn 8 people start dropping taunt after taunt mobs, blocking the typical garrosh finisher.

It's pretty sweet having Black Knight being a near certain two for one though.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    7ub0a9w7rl53.png

It seems highly unlikely that a 0/1 minion will last for 100 pages.

Last night I was 6/2 in the arena, halfway through what should have been my 7th win. Had to go afk to deal with RL stuff for a couple of minutes.

It turns out if you're gone long enough, it starts the end turn countdown fuse immediately and the other guy gets to go more often, so I came back to his board full of big creatures and me at 8 health.

On the bright side, 6 wins was my best so far! Still happy about that.

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I remember when everyone thought taunt was bad and useless.

Been fun seeing opinions and deck building evolve.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I don't think people thought taunt itself was bad, It's just most of the taunt minions aren't that good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Last night I was 6/2 in the arena, halfway through what should have been my 7th win. Had to go afk to deal with RL stuff for a couple of minutes.

It turns out if you're gone long enough, it starts the end turn countdown fuse immediately and the other guy gets to go more often, so I came back to his board full of big creatures and me at 8 health.

Uh oh. Hope that wasn't me. I think I had a win around 6 where I mulliganed incorrectly and had a bad opener. The guy mysteriously goes afk when I only have a gnomish inventor out. So I play out the turns quickly as I had no plays until 6 mana. Positive side is my deck is sitting at 9-0 now, but it has a bit of a tainted record. =(

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »

Uh oh. Hope that wasn't me. I think I had a win around 6 where I mulliganed incorrectly and had a bad opener. The guy mysteriously goes afk when I only have a gnomish inventor out. So I play out the turns quickly as I had no plays until 6 mana. Positive side is my deck is sitting at 9-0 now, but it has a bit of a tainted record. =(

Your victory rewards will contain a golden wisp as karma.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion

I'm pretty sure it was later game than 6 mana. When I got back the other guy had a legendary or two and then I dropped Baron Geddon just to see how many of his minions I could kill before I died the next turn.

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Vorpal wrote: »

Your victory rewards will contain a golden wisp as karma.

4 of these victories include alarm-o-bot into ironbark shenanigans, in particular, a turn 4 alarm-o-bot and board clear followed by an ironbark swap and miscellaneous fatty on turn 5. So a golden wisp is likely warranted. >_<

I'm pretty sure it was later game than 6 mana. When I got back the other guy had a legendary or two and then I dropped Baron Geddon just to see how many of his minions I could kill before I died the next turn.

Excellent. Scammed another guy then because this deck doesn't have legendaries. I feel much better about stealing that one away now!

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
    Free custom card for the first person who asks! Will create it after work today.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I just had.. the luckiest top deck in my current Arena run. Up agaisnt a Paladin.

I was doing fairly well early with a Faerie dragon pumped by a Shattersun Cleric, and managing to trade other cards while my dragon went to work. He cast Lightspawn and I responed with my Senjin Shieldmasta. Figure I can kill the thing next turn when I can Swipe+other damage spell. The Sheildmasta means he will leave my dragon alone.

Next turn he kills my Shieldmasta with a Power Word, then casts a spell that DOUBLES the Lightspawns health and smacks me in the face with his 10/10.

At this point, Im horrified. I'm looking at Swipe+Claw in my hand, at my board and figuring I'm gonna have to give up most of my stuff to kill the thing, and trying to caculate the most efficient order to cast.

I topdeck Keeper of the Grove.

Well, that simplified things IMMENSELY

I think my last arena run, something like 3 of my wins were from topdecking Unleash the Hounds when my opponent had exactly enough minions out for me to kill him.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I had an idea for a 4th giant yesterday:
    Uz335x71.png

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    Uz335x71.png

Out of interest, how would you imagine that would work with Innervate/Overload?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    icyveins control warrior http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-warrior-control-deck

seems to work better for me than kitkatz that removes the frothing and adds drakes and korkorans

• kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    I got the Priest legendary in a pack a couple days ago, and I'm not enough of a deck builder to do much with it. Could someone point me toward a decent decklist that uses Prophet Velen? It probably won't fit the meta, but I'd like to have something to save my dust for.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    I got the Priest legendary in a pack a couple days ago, and I'm not enough of a deck builder to do much with it. Could someone point me toward a decent decklist that uses Prophet Velen? It probably won't fit the meta, but I'd like to have something to save my dust for.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/57228-tier-1-zetalots-legend-shadow-priest

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Lookup dragon priest, I'm sure someone can post a link. And by save your dust we are looking at alllll of the dust.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    The best events to happen in Hearthstone:

- Counterspelling a Mind Control.
    - When your Knife Juggler kills an opponent's Leeroy Jenkins.
    - Your Repentance triggers on your opponent's Lord Jaraxxus.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    zhen_rogue wrote: »

Does that.... does that do what I think it does? O_O

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    zhen_rogue wrote: »

Does that.... does that do what I think it does? O_O

Confirmed personally, yes.
    Yes it does indeed.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    does it work with mirror entity too?

Now you face Jaraxxus!

Now you face Jaraxxus!

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    mirror entity summons a jaraxxus but does not activate his battlecry

liEt3nH.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Mirror Entity dosn't trigger battlecries.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    THIS IS FOR: PC/Mac, and eventually Android and iDevices!

That could probably be updated.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Uz335x71.png

Well innervate adds 2 mana crystals, so you would reduce the cost of the card by 2 but also have 2 more mana to use. Pretty good.

Overload still has mana crystals there, you just can't use them.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Triggering a Counterspell with Coin should be on that list.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Arena game facing a mage who has played Mountain Giant, Sylvanas, Malygos, and Nat Pagle.

I mean come on.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I've got to be honest, I'd love to see arena changed for more balance between deck rarities.

Kinda similar to how the Suggest works for making a deck.

So maybe your first 10 choices are all class cards; 6 commons, 3 rares, 1 epic.
    Then your next 19 cards are non-class; 12 commons, 5 rares, 2 epics.
    And finally a legendary card, which can be of your class.

The last time I played arena, I ran into two decks in a row that would've cost over 5k dust to create from scratch with my own deck of 0 legendaries and 2 epics. I get that arena is random, but there are ways of limiting randomness' effect on your chance of succeeding while still having it be a random draft.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Rius wrote: »
    Can I have one that employs my avatar?

Yes you can sir, yes you can. Gonna eat some dinner and do a few things, but I'll get on it later this evening.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Arena game facing a mage who has played Mountain Giant, Sylvanas, Malygos, and Nat Pagle.

I mean come on.
    To be fair, Mountain Giant is fairly likely to lose you the game in Arena. I picked it once and it was just stuck in my hand every game, it was awful.

@Rius‌

2k5qm1bbhnm8.png
    "Move over Wild Pyromancer, there's a new sheriff in town!"

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Just had my first 4 win Arena Run (weirdly on my 4th ever Arena run)

got 25 and 55 gold sacks. Opened my pack to reveal my first Legendary! Prophet Valan? He's a Priest card. Is he good?

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    He's ok, he generally suffers from the problem of he does nothing on the turn you play him, which leaves him open to removal/silence.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Uz335x71.png

Well innervate adds 2 mana crystals, so you would reduce the cost of the card by 2 but also have 2 more mana to use. Pretty good.

Overload still has mana crystals there, you just can't use them.

Yes, this is what I had in mind. A giant that works with class mechanics that aren't life tap.

I figure it would be ok for Druid, because turn 2 innervate is the same as just playing it on turn 4, so (intentionally) worse than yeti but turn 3 innervate lets you play this and a 2 drop/wrath/hero power.

And for shaman it would be pretty good, it takes the edge off a turn 5 earth elemental.