As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] indie series: Snitch - FBI (Snitch) Victory

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited June 2014 in Critical Failures
kcdh5fcec36f.png

Scenario

The Organization has been around for a long time. We do what we want, when we want. Until recently. The FBI has thwarted our every move and has eliminated too many key members for it to just be a coincidence. We have snitches. Snitches get stitches.

Game Overview

Genre: Village v Mafia with a heavy dose of interactivity and choice for all. The game was created so that everyone would have something to do and could play a very important part in their side's eventual victory or defeat. At its heart it is still a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. If this is your first game, it will be informative to visit the linked topic for some background information.

In this game, the Village are members of The Organization. The Mafia are snitches trying to get out of The Organization and bring it down from the inside.[/b]

Special Mechanics and Game Design

This is the second game in my "indie-series". The goal of the indie-series set of games is to simplify my design process and limit a game to a single mechanic or concept. The chosen mechanic/concept will be explored fully and every power in the game will revolve around that concept. In this game, that mechanic/concept is Vote Record. These are still Obi-Phalla, however, and I create games with the following mindset:

1) I don't like straight seering.
2) I prefer Basic Villagers to have powers along with the power of voting/analysis.
3) I like mechanics that punish inactive mafia. On the flip-side, I like mechanics that reward mafia who are active in muddying the waters and staying hidden in plain sight.

Sample Vanillager PM:
You are a low level member of The Organization. You are trying to work your way up to make the big bucks, but The Organization is currently crippled by a serious lack of trust. You must work to remove all snitches. Since you have little pull in the organization right now, you must first gain Favor and then use that Favor. You can do that through the following powers.
- Gain Favor (Passive): If your final vote of the day is for a Snitch, gain 1 Favor.
- Call in your Favor: Reduce your favor by 1 (to a minimum of 0) . The effect of your power is determined by your total Favor after the current day’s vote.
[Total Favor] Name of power (Abbr): Effect
[1] Suspicion (Roleblock): Target a player and prevent use of all of their powers, including passives.
[2] Tail (Guard): Target a player and prevent one attack against them
[3] Ask Around (Seer): Target a player and learn their alignment and favor total (before any power use tonight).
[4] Hit (Vig): Target a player and remove them from the game
[5] Knowledge is Power (??): ?????.

Wincon: All threats to The Organization have been eliminated.

Voting

Due to the current mistrust in the organization, there will be regular votes to turn in players who are suspected of using snitching. Vote for the player who you find most suspicious in bold red. You may retract a vote by posting "!retract vote for <player name>" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or change your vote by making another one in bold red. Do not, under any circumstance, edit a post that has a vote. If an edit is necessary, make a new post instead. The player who receives the most votes will be removed from the game. Should there be a tie in the vote, then all players involved in the tie will be eliminated, as well as the player that instigated the tie, whether that be due to a vote being placed or a vote being removed.

Voting will close each day at 10PM MST (12AM EST | 5AM UTC) SHARP; any votes before the hour (x:59) will count, any votes on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Orders

Orders must be submitted before vote close. All villager orders must be submitted by responding to your role PM. Mafia orders can be submitted on their proboards.

Signing Up

Sign up with the phrase "I !sign up" or similar phrase in bold limegreen or other bright, easily visible color to ensure that your intent to play is acknowledged.

Signups will be open until I feel like closing them.

Inactivity

It is expected that players make at least two posts, one of which must be a vote. A warning will be sent on the first day that this requirement is not met, and a replacement will be made on the second consecutive day of inactivity or third day overall. If there are no replacements available, then the player will be eliminated from the game.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.
Phyphor wrote: »
Do we know what nights we gain favour? Because that would seem to make it pretty easy, as every vote is a direct seer
You will not be notified if you gain favor from the Gain Favor passive ability.

If we use an ability, will we be notified? Will we be notified what ability was used?
Successful guarding against an attack and seer results will be through PM. Vig results will be obvious. Narration will contain all other helpful information. Other than that, assuming no other powers involved, you will not be told what power you used or if you even used a power.
discrider wrote: »
Can Suspicion roleblock mafia group powers?
CD
Sepah wrote: »
I assume that you only gain Favor if your final vote was for the vote winner, and was also a snitch?
You gain favor if your final vote that day was for a snitch (mafia). They do not need to win the vote.
Flarne wrote: »
Can snitches gain favor by voting for other snitches?
CD
ObiFett wrote: »
Clarification: Everyone starts with 0 Favor unless your role PM says otherwise.
Does Suspicion prevent Favor loss from the target trying to use Call in your Favor?
Yes
can players Gain Favor by voting for dead Snitches?
You can't vote for players already removed from the game
kime wrote: »
Can you please put the clarifications in the OP?
No, because kime is butt
Order of operations: everybody seems to assume the favor gets added from the vote first. Is that correct?
Favor Gain From Vote -> Defensive -> Offensive -> Everything Else

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to preexisting private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

All proboards must be linked to the host and all conversations must have the host included. NO CONVERSATION OF THE GAME IS ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THIS FORUM/MESSAGE SYSTEM OR LINKED PROBOARDS. No chat rooms. No facebook. NOTHING. No communication is allowed outside of PA forums/messages and linked proboards.

ObiFett on

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Initial Sign-ups
    1 - Preda
    2 - lonelyahava
    3 - enlightenedbum
    4 - Auralynx
    5 - Egos - Reserve
    6 - discrider
    7 - bedlam
    8 - assuran
    9 - MrTlicious
    10 - Phyphor
    11 - The Anonymous
    12 - SLyM
    13 - capfalcon
    14 - Jpants
    15 - cesareB
    16 - MegaFrost
    17 - Gizzy
    18 - Ketbra
    19 - Lucedes
    20 - Sepah
    21 - Shalmelo
    22 - Cythraul
    23 - kime
    24 - Drez
    25 - Flarne
    26 - I needed anime to post
    27 - Baidol
    28 - Langly
    29 - Hedgethorn
    30 -
    ...Enough spaces for whoever wants to play

Reserves:
    1 - Zombie Hero
    2 - Premium
    3 - Zonugal
    4 - Egos
    5 - Retaba

Results

Night 1
    Gizzy (Organization Member) - Entrapment?
    Baidol (Organization Member) - Arrested
    MrTlicious (Organization Member) - Arrested

Night 2
    Ketbra (Boss's Uncle) - Cement Shoe'd
    Enliightenedbum (Boss) - Arrested
    LonelyAhava (Lieutenant) - Arrested

Night 3
    CesareB (Organization Member) - Cement Shoe'd
    Hedgethorn (Organization Member) - Arrested
    Sepah (Organization Member) - Arrested
    Langly (Organization Member) - Executed
    Shalmelo (Organization Member) - Overdose?

Night 4
    Preda (FBI Informant) - Cement Shoe'd
    Phyphor (Organization Member) - Arrested
    The Anonymous (Organization Member) - Arrested
    Kime (Boss's Daughter / Interim Boss) - Overdose?
    MegaFrost (Organization Member) - Overdose?

Night 5
    Assuran (FBI Informant) - Cement Shoe'd
    Cythraul (Organization Member) - Setup?
    discrider (Boss's Brother / Interim Boss) - Setup?

Night 6
    I Needed Anime to Post (Organization Member) - Entrapment?

Narrations

Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 5
    Day 6
    Final

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I didn't read the op!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If ahava is playing, I'm in.

Though if we start before Friday, I might be a bit low inactivity until TAR is finished.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Let's get any you're-a-dummy grudging out of the way, or play.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    ahava/lulu is back in town

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Get 0 favor, lose the game day 1.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    OBIPHALL!

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I can't be mafia if we're all mafia...right?

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Ayup

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    As always, the application of a basic strategy will lead to success. As always, we will mess it up somehow

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Do we know what nights we gain favour? Because that would seem to make it pretty easy, as every vote is a direct seer

Phyphor on
  • Options

You will not be notified if you gain favor from the Gain Favor passive ability.

• Options
    If we use an ability, will we be notified? Will we be notified what ability was used?

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I might post every day

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Reserve

I won't be able to play until Wednesday at the earliest.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options

Successful guarding against an attack and seer results will be through PM. Vig results will be obvious. Narration will contain all other helpful information. Other than that, assuming no other powers involved, you will not be told what power you used or if you even used a power.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    So no real information from the abilities then until the last day. Or abilities at all if we all start at 0

Phyphor on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    looks interesting

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    HAND ME THE KEYS YA FUCKIN COCKSUCKA!

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    This looks really awesome, Obi, and I'm sorry I'm going to miss it; only internet access every couple of days means phalla is out of the question : (

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    How could I not?

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I don't do vote records anymore.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Megafrost

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Sure, why not

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh, good. Thought I was gonna have to try summoning you some time soon, KetBra. I missed you.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Megafrost

Gizzy

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    !signup

• Options
    Megafrost wrote: »
    Megafrost

Gizzy

FAVOR EARNED!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I missed me too

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    I missed me too

Man I seen you over in G&T, bra. Don' try to front like you wasn't just playing hard-to-get.

• Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    !Sign up

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    sure ok

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Wait so we will sumbit a call in a favor action but we wont necessarily know what we are sumbitting for?

• Options
    Does the mafia earn favors for voting for mafia?

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I will Reserve because I don't know if I'm going to have time for this one yet

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Does the mafia earn favors for voting for mafia?

shhhh! stop telling them my strategy!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't know if I'll have time either. And I read the op but still don't get it.

I shall likely die.

Hi guys. I've missed you.

• Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    Lo ahava.