As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, June 13, 2014 - To P Or Not To P

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    As soon as I finished reading today's comic (a few minutes ago), I thought "the thread for this one is going to be busy." It appears I was correct.

• Options
    For the record: Gabbie and Tyche.

Their names are Gabbie and Tyche.
    Is there a pronunciation guide for the latter?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    See previous page.

• Options
    Stumps wrote: »
    Why do Tyche's eyes turn blue in the middle frame?
    She snorted some spice in the time-frame between the first and second frames.

• Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    How did I not know that Gabbie & Tyche existed?? I totally needed them in my life but didn't realize it until today.

Awesome strip and I hope we see more of these two in the future. <3

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    This is one of my favorite quirks of Penny Arcade. It's never just "two gamers on a couch". If the script must involve the two just talking about gaming stuff, then there's always a visual gimmick, such as sitting beside a pool, or emerging from alien slime-pods.

• Options
    kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Someone mentioned redraws. I've done a few but mostly I stick to Gabe and Tycho since it's generally a layouting or color practice winddown.

Still I did find this?

yyr9k189jf0i.png

I forget the comic. It came out sometime in February I think. Just a scribble. I just really liked the cozy and cute feeling here haha. Mike is so good at posing. TEACH ME YOUR WAYS.

I also did this at some point in 2013 but I'm pretty sure the file is on my laptop. Redraw of the Birds are Weird wallpaper that I tried to mimic the colors without using the color dropped tool (I'm colorblind so I practice like this a lot)

ynmp2yyprwva.png

What you should glean from this tho is that I have drawn them a lot.
    Like, a lot a lot. Like too much. Hmm. :|c

kismesister on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Love your expressions in the first one.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Love them.

The color pallet and clothing choice isn't making Tychie look less like Korra. This is not a bad thing.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow...

Okay, so.. this is gonna be another case of Athenor showing his ignorance.. but how does being color blind affect your painting/drawing? Like.. I don't know much about what being color blind really means, beyond not being able to detect certain colors right.. but do you just have to trust things or something?

I'm genuinely curious. Because until you said something I had no clue... and I've been thinking about color blindness a lot lately, in regards to a work project and Splatoon and things like that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Wow...

Okay, so.. this is gonna be another case of Athenor showing his ignorance.. but how does being color blind affect your painting/drawing? Like.. I don't know much about what being color blind really means, beyond not being able to detect certain colors right.. but do you just have to trust things or something?

I'm genuinely curious. Because until you said something I had no clue... and I've been thinking about color blindness a lot lately, in regards to a work project and Splatoon and things like that.

I can only speak for myself (Red/Green deficient), but yes. Some things you kinda take on trust. There's a test for color blindness that shows this to the greatest extent called the Farnsworth-Munsell test or the D-15 dichotomous test. In it you're given a tray of 15 tiles each with a different color hue (the current version uses 100 hues) and asked to put them in order. People with color deficiency or "blindness" are unable to differentiate between different hues and will often confuse multiple tiles. It's interesting to go through and compare the correct and the wrong ones.

For instance when I did the D-15 test I had mixed up multiple hues thinking that they were in the right places, but when shown the right order side-by-side I was able to instantly identify where I went wrong and notice how wrong I was.

When I paint I do things a little at a time because I can't trust myself to recognize a color hue. So when I'm painting layers I have to be careful only to do the layers literally one drop of paint at a time. So if I'm blending from red to brown I put in one drop of brown, do that layer, put in another drop of brown, do another layer, another drop, another layer, ect. Looking at one hue in the process and the next hue in the process is just like looking at the same color for me.

• Options
    @Athenor‌ for me my colorblindness is Kind Of Weird as I wasn't born with it. It's only in my left eye, as a result of an injury as a kid. It screws up my ability to perceive shades of blue, yellow and green from one another, and any color made up of those colors (so ALMOST ALL COLORS). I can tell the difference between say, red and blue really well but purple and blue might look very similar to the red and the blue.

So as a result colors look wrong to me, but I'm also in a weird position where I know they look wrong but have a super hard time figuring out why, in which degree they should be, etc. I've gotten a lot better at trusting my gut re: colors but it's always been a huge struggle for me!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow, kickass. :) I mean.. not in an awesome that you have that going on thing, but that kind of dedication and overcoming it and such.

I consider myself a horrible artist, mostly due to lack of practice, so I admire anyone who can do that kind of thing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    @Athenor‌ for me my colorblindness is Kind Of Weird as I wasn't born with it. It's only in my left eye, as a result of an injury as a kid. It screws up my ability to perceive shades of blue, yellow and green from one another, and any color made up of those colors (so ALMOST ALL COLORS). I can tell the difference between say, red and blue really well but purple and blue might look very similar to the red and the blue.

So as a result colors look wrong to me, but I'm also in a weird position where I know they look wrong but have a super hard time figuring out why, in which degree they should be, etc. I've gotten a lot better at trusting my gut re: colors but it's always been a huge struggle for me!

So do you close your left eye a lot to double check stuff, or do you wear a pirate patch, or just work with both open and mess around with stuff?

Does it help with palette choices at all?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    This will be the PA comic that launches a thousand ships.

And I'm not talking about the wood and sails variety.

those ships done already sailed son.

Years ago. I know this.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Puddingpie wrote: »
    See, I thought that we'd surreally entered one of those parallel universes where everything's the same but slightly different, where Gabe and Tycho are female and Diablo actually is called Diorblo.

I would absolutely play Diorblo.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Puddingpie wrote: »
    See, I thought that we'd surreally entered one of those parallel universes where everything's the same but slightly different, where Gabe and Tycho are female and Diablo actually is called Diorblo.

I would absolutely play Diorblo.

A diorblow is what you get outside a French 7-11.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I just now saw the earrings!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    It's Greek. Hard 'ch'. Ty-kee.

I get that Tyche is a thing, but considering the pronunciation of Tycho I don't see how a case can be made for anything other than Teak or possibly Tea-kee

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    ChaosPath wrote: »
    It's Greek. Hard 'ch'. Ty-kee.

I get that Tyche is a thing, but considering the pronunciation of Tycho I don't see how a case can be made for anything other than Teak or possibly Tea-kee

The pronunciation of Tycho is Tye-ko.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I am totally brofisting you through the internet right now.

Colorblind unity.

• Options
    Aww, false batsignal. :(

Ah well. Still cool though. Like.. is there any way to rig up the Occulus Rift to see the world as if colorblind, or something? I just.. I know it's a position of privilege, but not being able to distinguish shades and gradients is not something I am good at wrapping my mind around, save for black & white films and such.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Real Batsignal at @Athenor‌

Dude, it's awesome that you would want to experience it for yourself.

There are some pretty good images that show you the world through the eyes of a colorblind person, and how they might affect things for you.

See how this grabs you, for starters:

ars_puzzlefighter_colorblind.jpg

• Options
    Oh jeez...

That would be nigh-on unplayable like that. :(

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Jeff and Vinny on Giantbomb talk about it occasionally, how some games are better than others. For example, Gunpoint uses colors but also symbols for the different wiring points.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Ok, did I miss some gaming news about gender or something? Why are G&T female all of a sudden?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    KiTA wrote: »
    Ok, did I miss some gaming news about gender or something? Why are G&T female all of a sudden?

What? They have always been girls. Maybe you're thinking of the PAX panel where he takes audience requests. Think he's done G&T as guys then a few times.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    MichaelLC wrote: »

What? They have always been girls. Maybe you're thinking of the PAX panel where he takes audience requests. Think he's done G&T as guys then a few times.

Heh, wouldn't it be funny if the site had a script that randomly displayed one of two versions of the comic -- one with male, one with female, G&Ts? That would be hilarious. Or oooh, base it on the IP address of the viewer, so one person will always get one gender, whereas someone else would get the other version, or... Heh.

KiTA on
  • Options
    FireREGSFireREGS Registered User new member
    The problem with the desings is tha while Gabbie looks like a legit woman thanks to the face shapes and hips, Tyche looks like a crossdressing Tycho with a filled bra.

You need to make Tyche more of a legit woman, more femenine.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    FireREGS wrote: »
    The problem with the desings is tha while Gabbie looks like a legit woman thanks to the face shapes and hips, Tyche looks like a crossdressing Tycho with a filled bra.

You need to make Tyche more of a legit woman, more femenine.

We can't all be blessed with Gabbie's child-bearing hips.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Heh, wouldn't it be funny if the site had a script that randomly displayed one of two versions of the comic -- one with male, one with female, G&Ts? That would be hilarious. Or oooh, base it on the IP address of the viewer, so one person will always get one gender, whereas someone else would get the other version, or... Heh.

Use cookies/browsing history to decide which one the viewer would most likely prefer.
    If chrome://history [include] deviantart.com;then Gabbie_Tyche.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @PedroAsani‌ To be honest I usually don't! My right eye almost makes up for the awkward colors, so my colorblindness isn't super obtrusive. It just makes palettes hard to pick out. Color is something all artists struggle with anyway, my fight is just a little bit rockier than most, and I spent a long time letting it excuse me from really trying. Which is dumb, and lazy, and the coward's way out. I MUST TRY.

@fireregs Gabbie and Tyche are designed to compliment one another, shape wise. Gabbie is short, petite, bottom heavy, and is curvier and more spunky with a shorter haircut and some pinup bangs. Tyche is supposed to read more serious, so she keeps Tycho's height, gains a practical pony tail (it used to be a bun, the pony tail is 100% Bill Steirnberg's addition, from the art assets on the genderswapped costume pack for Rainslick), and is less curvy but more top heavy and broad shouldered. Keeping their overall shapes re: their jaws, noses, eyes etc was important for me.
    Gabe has a lot of features that are really cute to begin with, like the big ol' blue eyes and the bunny teeth, so translating him into a girl just means playing with already rounded/appealing features that you'd find on stock female characters. So of course she's the 'cute' one! Tyche's femininity is a little less traditional, but if I changed her to have a softer jaw and bigger eyes she just outright ceases to look like Tycho, and for me that's a design failure.
    These designs aren't really meant to be 'hot feminine rule63' versions of Gabe and Tycho, but just a 'what if they were girls' thing. I think I did pretty okay overall!
    That being said, as a lady who loves the ladies: a strong jawline is super hot to me. Rawr.

For funzies, here's the first take on these girls from 2010. Yikes. Toning down Gabbie's silhouette so she was more flat chested and had a stronger emphasis on her hips was the best decision, way to go Past!Mu. High fives myself.

0yt9964dy5ut.jpg1za7czelg34t.jpg

kismesister on
  • Options
    myahonmyahon Registered User new member
    edited June 2014
    Kismesister's art is spectacular. I note she fixed Tyche's chin to make her look more girly.
    Is this a tongue in cheek reference to Ubisoft making such a fuss about leaving out female playable characters?
    I'd love to see more of these characters.

myahon on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Loving the analysis on Gabbie and Tyche there mu!

Curious to see what tomorrow brings us with the Monday comic as well.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I think Tyche looks fine in every drawing or sketch I've seen of her, whether it was Mu's or Gabe's. Women don't need to look overly feminine to be women.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like that one of the sketch notes is "nice tits".

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I like that one of the sketch notes is "nice tits".

That, or Mu was complimenting her own work.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Ah well. Still cool though. Like.. is there any way to rig up the Occulus Rift to see the world as if colorblind, or something? I just.. I know it's a position of privilege, but not being able to distinguish shades and gradients is not something I am good at wrapping my mind around, save for black & white films and such.

One of the cool (ish?) things about colorblindness is that it isn't really describable. The lack of certain rods and cones specific to your eye mean that you just aren't seeing the same thing as anyone else, and could possibly be seeing a color that isn't experienced by someone with normal color vision. For instance, the above puzzle fighter image is an interesting take on it, but it isn't what I see as a red/green colorblind person. I can still tell the difference between red/green blocks in the left image and the right one is clearly different.

However if someone was to point at an Red Delicious apple I'd say "red", but the color I see and what other people see may be completely different, however that's what I've always known red to look like, and can't really describe the color.

Could you authentically recreate full color blindness or a color deficiency? Maybe not, because it's going to change from person to person by degrees and shades.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    See previous page.
    Well, considering Jerry's pronunciation for Tycho doesn't match the pronunciation of his historical namesake, I wouldn't take anything for granted with the pronunciation of his female counterpart's name.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

One of the cool (ish?) things about colorblindness is that it isn't really describable. The lack of certain rods and cones specific to your eye mean that you just aren't seeing the same thing as anyone else, and could possibly be seeing a color that isn't experienced by someone with normal color vision. For instance, the above puzzle fighter image is an interesting take on it, but it isn't what I see as a red/green colorblind person. I can still tell the difference between red/green blocks in the left image and the right one is clearly different.

However if someone was to point at an Red Delicious apple I'd say "red", but the color I see and what other people see may be completely different, however that's what I've always known red to look like, and can't really describe the color.

Could you authentically recreate full color blindness or a color deficiency? Maybe not, because it's going to change from person to person by degrees and shades.
    Yeah.
    I found out I was colorblind when I was past 20. It was to a minor enough degree that the tests we'd taken in elementary school weren't sensitive enough to pick it out. However, at my first job after college I was unable to pick out the red particulates because they were small enough and the lighting we used was just so, that they looked grey.
    I can see all the colors, but I have trouble distinguishing hues, and I misidentify some borderline colors like very dark purples and greens.

steam_sig.png