As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So, I finished reading Origional sin (which reads like a bizzare fan fiction collab where the writers drew random names out of a hat and had to tell stories with them and three villains so obscure they don't even have a wiki page) earlier this week and I gotta ask: what was the point?

Like, I understand that doing a yearly event is kind of a thing with marvel, but this one was just such a hot mess my interest in any of them is actually diminished, not increased.

The point was to tell a (for now) final Nick Fury story, and use that story as jumping off points for new books starring Winter Soldier and Angela.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Yearly event? They're up to like 2-3 big ones a year, and several smaller ones. 2014 alone has Original Sin and Axis as big ones, and the Death of Wolverine and Spider-Verse as smaller ones. I dunno how far reaching Time Runs Out is going to be.

2013 had Age of Ultron, Infinity and while Inhumanity wasn't a comic, it certainly was an event that touched a bunch of comics. Battle of the Atom also hit that year.

Marvel is getting kind of crazy with this shit, IMO.

I don't think I've read a Marvel event, since Secret Invasion.

I think Infinite Crisis was my last DC one.

I really don't feel like I'm missing much, but I also primarily read the B-list titles, that don't get pulled into crossover events very often.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Spider-Island was a really fun mini event.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    OS was fine I thought. It was nice and self contained, and didn't promise to CHANGE EVERYTHING FOREVER like past stuff.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I think all OS did was set a few people along the path so their Marvel NOW stories have a backdrop for existing. Fury Jr, Thor, Bucky and I'm sure more who I can't think of off the top of my head now have a reason to be pushed along their respective backdrops without having to muck up or create a ton of backstory on their individual titles. That was my take anyway.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Spider-Island was a really fun mini event.

See, even with stuff like that, I usually just wind up reading the connected minis. Like, I really dug the Cloak and Dagger, Spider-Girl, Avengers, and Shang Chi stories that spun out of that, but I don't read Spider-Man, so I just skipped the core story.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Infinity was a pretty darn good story.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still think it didn't stick the landing.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I'm with Munch. The core stories and big events aren't very interesting to me, but there a bunch of titles on the periphery that are great.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I still think it didn't stick the landing.

Infinity is weird in that, for all that it was a major event, it didn't end so much as served as the prelude chapter to the big story running in Hickman's Avenger titles. Most events tend to serve as intros to new stories and status quos, but Infinity was less of a self-contained story than most.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I set a different standard for events that aren't a culmination of a specific writers run; I just really want them to be big dumb fights that do some nifty things with parts of the universe. I basically want events that are as fun and boastful as events in the 80s and early 90s were.

That's why I actually like AvX a lot.

Infinity was the bomb, but it's hard to say it's a great event because it's really just a part of Hickman's Avengers; it doesn't really have a strong beginning or ending of its own and it can't really be handed to someone as a stand-alone title.

Edit: Somehow I missed @Phillishere‌ 's post, but what he said.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Infinity and Original Sin felt more like mini-series than Events. Of course, that's not really a problem except in length. I think both could've been shortened.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Infinity and Original Sin felt more like mini-series than Events. Of course, that's not really a problem except in length. I think both could've been shortened.

We'll see if Remender can make good use of 9 issues.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Infinity could not have been shortened. The main complaint people had about it was that a done of stuff was done either off-camera or in the comics equivalent of a montage.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, my biggest complaint about Infinity was for a 16 issue series, a LOT of stuff was resolved very quickly, done off panel, or was montage'd to hell. Especially the end of the space stuff.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Yeah, my biggest complaint about Infinity was for a 16 issue series, a LOT of stuff was resolved very quickly, done off panel, or was montage'd to hell. Especially the end of the space stuff.

I like Hickman's writing overall, but one of his weaknesses is that he's so focused on moving plot pieces around that he too rarely take the time for character moments or interesting digressions. When he does, the moments are often excellent (Thor's hammer flying around the sun) but you get the feeling that the things that happen off-stage do so because they are simply unimportant to the larger story Hickman is telling.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I like Hickman's writing overall, but one of his weaknesses is that he's so focused on moving plot pieces around that he too rarely take the time for character moments or interesting digressions. When he does, the moments are often excellent (Thor's hammer flying around the sun) but you get the feeling that the things that happen off-stage do so because they are simply unimportant to the larger story Hickman is telling.
    I actually really disagree with this. I think he has a great ability for giving characters moments without taking up much time.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I actually really disagree with this. I think he has a great ability for giving characters moments without taking up much time.

It's the taking up much time that I was talking about. Hickman's not a writer who will devote a major subplot or even a single issue to, say, Havok hanging out and bonding with Thor.* The Avengers has traditionally bounced between events/conflicts and the more soap operaish romances and internal dramas of the characters, devoting entire issues to each.

Hickman doesn't do the latter, which can sometimes lead to his books feeling a bit removed and distant. What he will do in a single scene, other writers might spin off into an entire issue.

* One exception being Thor and Hyperion, but I always get the sense that that relationship is being built for some future story purpose, not as fun character fluff.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers #34.1 is ok, but it just reads like that Hickman Hyperion story from the Savage Land arc.

Biggest frowny face however is that Dale Keown's art has gone downhill. He was Ed McGuinness before Ed McGuinness, but there was just no dynamism or even depth to the artwork here. Which is weird because Keown has drawn Superman before (he drew that Krypto storytime Superman issue where Krypto does a very bad thing) but here he's almost a flatter version of Shane Davis.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Infinity could not have been shortened. The main complaint people had about it was that a done of stuff was done either off-camera or in the comics equivalent of a montage.

If anything, it feels like they got halfway into the event and then realized 'oh shit we only have X issues left' and then had to rush to resolve all the plot lines. They really should have just chosen one of the storylines for it, rather than trying to do both at the same time, since that did a disservice to both of them

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm kind of all over the place on Uncanny Avengers. I generally like it and think that Remender did a good job of ending the Apocalypse Twins stuff while still creating consequences for the characters. But it's also kind of done a crappy job of building Axis up and really showing us any of what the Red Skull has planned.

That said, the last couple issues of Cap have been phenomenal, and I just read Magneto's first Axis prelude issue, which was also great. I'm really excited about Axis, and I hope Remender can pull off something really special with it. All the pieces seem to be in place to tell some really great stories, and Magneto #9 actually made me wish more books were tying into it.

• Options
    RIP Savage Hulk.

I will read the hell out of that.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    RIP Savage Hulk.

I will read the hell out of that.

Interesting that they've made it it's own series.

• Options
    My guess is that they wanted to make sure they capitalized on the Thanos name as much as possible, so they made it its own series with THANOS all big in the title.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    My guess is that they wanted to make sure they capitalized on the Thanos name as much as possible, so they made it its own series with THANOS all big in the title.

Oh, no doubt. Like, I wouldn't bet against that hypothesis no matter the odds you gave me.

I'm still surprised they haven't done a trade of Starlin issues in Silver Surfer #40-50 and called it "Silver Surfer vs Thanos" They collected some in the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus, but given Avengers vs Thanos and Thor vs Thanos, I would have figured they would have kept going. I would have even expected to see Ka-Zar vs Thanos at some point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

I'm just glad they keep giving Starlin work. He's one of the few old-school writers whose work still feels fresh. His cosmic weirdness fits in well with the indie generation.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Could anyone point me in the direction of the proper quote from The Ultimates when Bruce says something like "I just hated feeling small" or something? I think immediately after he says he hates Freddie Prince Jr, if it helps.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Could anyone point me in the direction of the proper quote from The Ultimates when Bruce says something like "I just hated feeling small" or something? I think immediately after he says he hates Freddie Prince Jr, if it helps.

AUcVaEv.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Ultimates was pretty bad, IMO, but it does establish Bruce's personality a lot better than I think regular Marvel Bruce has ever really been for me

Like, whenever I read Hulk comics he always feels strangely unfamiliar to me.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    The Ultimates was pretty bad, IMO, but it does establish Bruce's personality a lot better than I think regular Marvel Bruce has ever really been for me

Like, whenever I read Hulk comics he always feels strangely unfamiliar to me.

Well, he had 50 years to go "Trying to fix the hulk never works, so I'm going to quit trying to do that. Let us SCIENCE!"

• Options
    so I'm reading Claremont's Excalibur run and there's a Dirty Pair homage in issue 18. I don't even know what the heck is going on in this comic.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    General advise for Excalibur: after issue #25 (last Claremont issue) you can pretty much skip straight to issue 42 (first Alan Davis).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    From Excalibur #24:

tumblr_nbz4y6AvXH1rixv2zo1_500.jpg

I know Chris Claremont has a habit of lesbian subtext in his comics, but dang.

• Options
    I think it stops being subtext when they're licking frosting off each other's fingers.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    What was that line from Buffy? 'The subtext in this conversation is rapidly becoming text.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Also, interesting note: That issue (July 1990) features Kitty's 15th birthday party. Her previous birthday was shown in Uncanny X-Men vol. 1 #165 (January 1983).

• Options
    The wackiness of the sliding Marvel timescale is an endless source of amusement for me.

Especially the Franklin Richards theory to why it exists.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Enlighten me.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Enlighten me.

If its the one I know, its that Franklin Richards, being the supreme power and able to create entire universes by himself, is using his vast powers to slow down and change time in such a way that no one notices because he loves his life as a child.

PSN|AspectVoid