As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    tumblr_netywiNSZw1r0x04do1_1280.jpg
    http://russelldauterman.tumblr.com/post/102280086169/yeahbuhwhat

I love Russell Dauterman's art. Looks like Thor is meeting the Avengers soon?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So this is gonna be a thing in the Thor Annual.
    CM Punk: He’s the best in the world—and he’s now a Marvel Comics writer!

In February’s THOR ANNUAL #1, Punk—real name Phil Brooks—teams up with artist Rob Guillory, joining a star-studded lineup of creators tackling the God of Thunder. We pinned the former pro wrestling champion to get a sense of what he’s got planned for Thor, just how deep his comics cred goes, and more.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/comics/23636/welcome_to_marvel_cm_punk_-_hope_you_survive_the_experience#ixzz3IiRirgN8

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of making a thread specifically for this big Multiverse storyline that's been running through Avengers/New Avengers the last few years - sort've an overview and discussion of everything that's been leading up to the Time Runs Out/Secret Wars events.
    avengers_multiverse.jpg

What do you think, worth doing?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I was thinking of making a thread specifically for this big Multiverse storyline that's been running through Avengers/New Avengers the last few years - sort've an overview and discussion of everything that's been leading up to the Time Runs Out/Secret Wars events.
    avengers_multiverse.jpg

What do you think, worth doing?
    I'd add the Time is Broken X-Men plot linking Age of Ultron/All New X-Men. Beast is directly responsible, Thanos referenced it as a reason for the invasion and the OG X-Men are being placed in the Ultimate Universe in time for an incursion.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Good one. Couple other points I wanted to add to. I'll squeeze 'em in. And I'll go ahead and make that thread sometime this weekend.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Superior Iron Man #1 was, eh, they're really not being subtle about this Inversion, are they? I'd at least like to see some reasoning behind Tony's attitude other than "me want money now" and just kind of riding the superdickery to 11 to ignore making the lead character actually likable. I was sort of hoping we would see stuff from Tony's view about why he thinks he's in teh right now, his motivations compared to how everyone else is reacting to him, but it's not. It reads a bit like some previous things taken from Tony's recent past and just pushed forward again (the drinking thing really feels forced, even compared to Fear Itself), with the Iron Man apologist in me thinking they did this on purpose to make Iron Man the bad guy in preparation for the upcoming movies. Probably pick up another issue just to see, though the last page also felt like it's been done before. And is Arno still out there and Gillen's run still a thing or was it all taken off the table?

Captain America's Mighty Avengers #1 though, it's got potential I can see beyond this event and relaunch gimmick. I didn't know Luke Ross, an artist I enjoyed for years, has really just leaned heavily on photo referencing, almost Land levels and what feels like tracings of Land's tracings, but the story is a little better. Ewing does a really good Spider-Man, but Plunderer being on Genosha is quite a stretch. Then again, points for bringing up Plunderer anyway. Falcap sort of feels like a bad version of USAgent too with his inversion, just a blanket red state caricature who it wouldn't surprise me to see start beating up all the birds he has control over because fuck PETA. A little too on the nose. Luke Cage's inversion is better, and his reasoning for not being cool with Spidey doesn't feel like such a departure. Did Land draw the issue where Spock threatened to call child protection on Luke and Jessica? Because if not I want to read that one.

• Options
    Wait, where are you seeing tracings in CAatMA? I just read that issue and nothing in it looked particularly traced to me.

• Options
    Two particular instances:

-The first Gem Theater pages. the two normal volunteer people, particularly the lady, look traced, especially the shocked lady look she has for a few panels. And Luke Cage berating Spidey, particularly the big panel with him pointing his finger at him, has a feel that's different than his other linework.

-The Quantrell stuff. And it's almost Quantrell himself, because the other member in the board room (like the Ted Koppel guy who questions funding bad guys) looks new and clean with the linework. But the guy himself has that generic, Land-like smug guy to him that used to be in every instance of his Cyclops. Maybe it's some kind of meta joke Ross is using regarding the previous artist.

I like Ross, ever since his Avengers West Coast days and recently during the Bucky Cap stuff, but it seemed like there was something going on here. That first page with the news interviews, that all looks original and clean, then there's stuff like I mentioned above that just in positioning and placement stands out. It's something I noticed with Land; when Land drew "new" things onto his tracings, like the claws on Wolverine, they looked really out of place and weird. That's what it looks like a few times here, though nothing regarding Falcap, which makes me think it's such an original design and he's doing things like flying and shield throwing at the same time there's nothing to really borrow from right now.

It could be a digital thing too or the colorist; if Ross is just drawing all these things then moving them into the panel and scaling to fit, it can make the linework look weirder than it is.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Superior Iron Man felt very Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Evil. I don't imagine I will be reading more of it.

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers on the other hand was great.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    So the Cover for Avengers #41 is literally going to the cover to Ultimates #1 :D

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    So, in GotG 21...
    jj5nl8an66x2.png

Am I crazy or is that a reference to Phyla's Quasar sword?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The design is the same - though her starry thing is made of light I think. Also, there are web shooters there.

• Options
    Avengers World #15 is good but it's doing that thing where it diminishes the new recruits to raise the level of the previous Avengers, almost treating them like D-listers instead of B-listers. All of these guys and gals I'm pretty sure are and were doing better stuff than scaring away a robber or getting joked on by the fire department.

Which is weird and basically just ignoring a simple Wikipedia rundown because USAgent, 3D Man, and Stingray were all Avengers, the first two there for a good while.

But the team (USAgent, Stingray, 3D Man, Valkyrie, Elsa Bloodstone, Val in her own sorta Master Blaster Armor) is pretty good.

• Options
    Wow.

Avengers #38 (think you should read this first instead of NA 26):

-Sunspot is kinda a boss, for real, he's running what the book labels the New Avengers: Zebra Kids, Pod (that robot thing from before Infinity that actually has a finnish lady in it who's merged with it), Cannonball, Smasher, Validator, Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Eden, and a literal army of Shang Chi's made from one of the evolution cities in the first arc. Basically Hyperion and Thor went to go kill whatever is causing all the multiverse problems, they're going to try and bring the Illuminati and Steve back together because you have to unite or die.

-Cyclops is running the new X-Nation place, "abandon hate all ye who enter here," where Sunspot uses him as an intermediary to talk to Hank about trying to broker some kind of peace, which might be the Illuminati's new hideaway right now. Oh, and Cyclops has a plan to fix all this, a Phoenix Egg. I trust him though, Cyclops was right. I just want Hickman to write Cyclops more because he kind of gets him in a way others don't

-Natasha and Jessica know where Tony is, he's captive of the Cabal, in his own little cube. They don't let on that they know where he is even though Smasher catches them lying in a really good scene.

New Avengers #26
    -apparently Tony went to fight the Cabal on his own in Cabalbuster armor, lost, got thrown in a cube.

-before that went down he had a meeting with Steve in an undisclosed location about stopping this witch hunt for the Illuminati, apparently something happened there. Hopefully not as ham fisted as that Civil War meeting.

-Black Swan is basically putting on a show, she's been looking for a world to stop the incursions so she can bring her family back to life through cloning or somesuch thing. It seems she bought into Tony being able to defeat the Cabal and was let down when he didn't.

-Valeria is staying with Bentley somewhere during all this, while Doom is thinking of not the end of things but the beginning of things (Dr. Doom caused the Big Bang seems accurate, right?)

-Natasha and Jessica used super stealth armor to find Tony, avoid being detected, basically shun him by saying what Steve's doing is wrong, but to let him out would be worse and leave him in Wakanda. He basically yells to them he's the only one who can save everything as they turn their backs on him with a tear of sads. Might be setting Tony up to die, mirror Civil War and whatever the MCU does?

Only thing I don't understand is if the inversion is still going on, because Hickman actually knows how to write characters subtle enough to be "bad" without mustache twirling or born again saints, which is what's going on in everything else right now.

But anyways, unless Hickman just totally gutterballs the ending here this is the best Avengers run ever.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah I really need to catch up, because I am pretty sure that Hickmanvengers is the definitive Avengers run now

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Ugh. It's been 16 days since BookDepository dispatched my copy of Ms. Marvel Vol 1 and it still has not arrived. I'll try contacting my local post office to see if they are holding it (unlikely), and then I'll contact BD again and see if I can get them to send another copy.

This sucks because I was really looking forward to reading that book :(

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    TexiKen wrote: »
    -Cyclops is running the new X-Nation place, "abandon hate all ye who enter here," where Sunspot uses him as an intermediary to talk to Hank about trying to broker some kind of peace, which might be the Illuminati's new hideaway right now. Oh, and Cyclops has a plan to fix all this, a Phoenix Egg. I trust him though, Cyclops was right. I just want Hickman to write Cyclops more because he kind of gets him in a way others don't
    I'm not sure why people keep saying Cyclops was right; given if he had been allowed to proceed with his Phoenix plan, Hope wouldn't have been ready and it would have gone badly. It wasn't until after Hope received a prolonged period of training in K'un Lun that she was able to control the Phoenix. It's insinuated that things would have gone poorly had the Avengers not interfered.

Only thing I don't understand is if the inversion is still going on, because Hickman actually knows how to write characters subtle enough to be "bad" without mustache twirling or born again saints, which is what's going on in everything else right now.

But anyways, unless Hickman just totally gutterballs the ending here this is the best Avengers run ever.

The inversion is over, but some characters are going to stay inverted past the event (Iron Man and Sabertooth, for example)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Avengers World #15 is good but it's doing that thing where it diminishes the new recruits to raise the level of the previous Avengers, almost treating them like D-listers instead of B-listers. All of these guys and gals I'm pretty sure are and were doing better stuff than scaring away a robber or getting joked on by the fire department.

Which is weird and basically just ignoring a simple Wikipedia rundown because USAgent, 3D Man, and Stingray were all Avengers, the first two there for a good while.

But the team (USAgent, Stingray, 3D Man, Valkyrie, Elsa Bloodstone, Val in her own sorta Master Blaster Armor) is pretty good.

I feel like Avenger's World has been pretty consistently bad, in an unusual way. It's not bad because of the writing (pretty average) or the art (actually really good), but simply because it's very clearly trying to ape Hickman's expansive scope style in the main Avengers book, but without really anything of its own to say. The giant dragon and giant Shang Chi were at best amusing, and at worst, working on an obviously incredibly inconsistent scale. The SPEAR was also just another novel reference to Hickman's setup in SHIELD. It was a bunch of empty action scenes trying to pretend it was more impressive than it actually was. That actually makes it worse than the a generic super vs super action story with no pretensions, to me.

Zyrxil on
  • Options
    I noticed Spencer doesn't have Hickman co-writing, he has someone else named Barberie, so I don't know if he's passing it on the same way Hickman was basically there in name only in the beginning or what the real divy of work is.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I noticed Spencer doesn't have Hickman co-writing, he has someone else named Barberie, so I don't know if he's passing it on the same way Hickman was basically there in name only in the beginning or what the real divy of work is.

Barbiere is the dude who wrote the Doctor Strange New Avengers Annual a few months back, and he does some stuff for Image as well. He is indeed taking over the book from Spencer; starting with issue 17, it'll be Barbiere telling Sunspot's story during the 8 month gap, showing how he set up the New Avengers and bought AIM.

Which means the doom avengers are only a two-parter

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Barbiere is the dude who wrote the Doctor Strange New Avengers Annual a few months back, and he does some stuff for Image as well. He is indeed taking over the book from Spencer; starting with issue 17, it'll be Barbiere telling Sunspot's story during the 8 month gap, showing how he set up the New Avengers and bought AIM.

Which means the doom avengers are only a two-parter

He writes Five Ghosts for Image and is a totally rad dude. Can't wait to see what he gets to do next.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Solar wrote: »
    Yeah I really need to catch up, because I am pretty sure that Hickmanvengers is the definitive Avengers run now

Well, as luck would have it, there happens to be a thread that can help you with that.

Unless you don't want spoilers - then avoid like the plague.
    Wow.

Avengers #38 (think you should read this first instead of NA 26):

-Sunspot is kinda a boss, for real, he's running what the book labels the New Avengers: Zebra Kids, Pod (that robot thing from before Infinity that actually has a finnish lady in it who's merged with it), Cannonball, Smasher, Validator, Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Eden, and a literal army of Shang Chi's made from one of the evolution cities in the first arc. Basically Hyperion and Thor went to go kill whatever is causing all the multiverse problems, they're going to try and bring the Illuminati and Steve back together because you have to unite or die.

-Natasha and Jessica know where Tony is, he's captive of the Cabal, in his own little cube. They don't let on that they know where he is even though Smasher catches them lying in a really good scene.

New Avengers #26
    -apparently Tony went to fight the Cabal on his own in Cabalbuster armor, lost, got thrown in a cube.

-before that went down he had a meeting with Steve in an undisclosed location about stopping this witch hunt for the Illuminati, apparently something happened there. Hopefully not as ham fisted as that Civil War meeting.

-Black Swan is basically putting on a show, she's been looking for a world to stop the incursions so she can bring her family back to life through cloning or somesuch thing. It seems she bought into Tony being able to defeat the Cabal and was let down when he didn't.

-Valeria is staying with Bentley somewhere during all this, while Doom is thinking of not the end of things but the beginning of things (Dr. Doom caused the Big Bang seems accurate, right?)

-Natasha and Jessica used super stealth armor to find Tony, avoid being detected, basically shun him by saying what Steve's doing is wrong, but to let him out would be worse and leave him in Wakanda. He basically yells to them he's the only one who can save everything as they turn their backs on him with a tear of sads. Might be setting Tony up to die, mirror Civil War and whatever the MCU does?

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
    The reference to the Pheonix Egg caught my eye - I haven't been following X-Men so I have no idea what that is or if it's been mentioned in the X-books, but I remember hearing about it before. There was an issue of either Avengers or New Avengers where they mention the Pheonix Egg shattering - I'll have to go looking for the exact wording. But it sounds like whatever Cyclops is planning to use the egg for, it won't work. So the heroes shouldn't put all their eggs in that basket, hyur hur.

I'm also glad that
    they've addressed the rest of Ex Nihilo's origin bomb sites - that was a cool element that didn't get touched on much after Infinity kicked off, so I'm glad to see they went back to it. Very interested to see what's up with the Validator site and to hear the story of how they got her on board.

Over in NA
    I was interested in the conversation between Proxima and Corvus about the Incursion zones lingering after an event - I think the eye of Rabum Alal is beginning to focus on the remaining Earths...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I get the distinct impression that I really need to read New Avengers for some seriously vital plot stuff but I think I'm just gonna trade paperback the whole thing. It sounds like NA is wrapping up then?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Both Avengers and NA are converging now and heading towards some kind of major climax as part of the Time Runs Out story - not sure what the state of either book will be coming out the other side. No reason either one has to go though, there's enough characters floating around that you could definitely get some awesome teams going.

If you've followed Avengers and have read the most recent issues, the events of NA basically explain why everything is terrible and everybody hates everybody. It's definitely worth reading.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You should read Avengers as well, as they eventually get so entwined it's basically a bi-weekly comic now. If you're looking for trades, you'll also want to pick up Infinity. If you're going to wait for paperbacks, you'll be behind by like a year.

You'll want to grab

Avengers Vol. 1: Avengers World
    Avengers Vol. 2: The Last White Event
    New Avengers Vol. 1: Everything Dies
    Avengers Vol. 3: Prelude to Infinity (Only two issues (#12 & #13) of this aren't included in the Infinity book, so you may want to skip it. I like the two issues, but they're not essential)
    Infinity (Contains most of Avengers vol. 3, plus all of Avengers Vol. 4: Infinity and New Avengers Vol. 2: Infinity)
    Avengers Vol. 5: Adapt or Die (Paperback not due until March)
    New Avengers Vol. 3: Other Worlds (Paperback not due until March)
    Avengers Vol. 6: Infinite Avengers (Paperback not due until July)
    New Avengers Vol. 4: A Perfect World (Paperback not due until July)
    Avengers: Time Runs Out Vol. 1-4(?) (At this point they're just combining them into a single volume)

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    You should read Avengers as well, as they eventually get so entwined it's basically a bi-weekly comic now. If you're looking for trades, you'll also want to pick up Infinity. If you're going to wait for paperbacks, you'll be behind by like a year.

You'll want to grab

Avengers Vol. 1: Avengers World
    Avengers Vol. 2: The Last White Event
    New Avengers Vol. 1: Everything Dies
    Avengers Vol. 3: Prelude to Infinity (Only two issues (#12 & #13) of this aren't included in the Infinity book, so you may want to skip it. I like the two issues, but they're not essential)
    Infinity (Contains most of Avengers vol. 3, plus all of Avengers Vol. 4: Infinity and New Avengers Vol. 2: Infinity)
    Avengers Vol. 5: Adapt or Die (Paperback not due until March)
    New Avengers Vol. 3: Other Worlds (Paperback not due until March)
    Avengers Vol. 6: Infinite Avengers (Paperback not due until July)
    New Avengers Vol. 4: A Perfect World (Paperback not due until July)
    Avengers: Time Runs Out Vol. 1-4(?) (At this point they're just combining them into a single volume)

This is relevant to my interests. Thanks for the rundown. I need to catch up. I was up to only 7-8 for Avengers last year when I moved and never caught up

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    So I downloaded the marvel comics app because I wanted to redeem my code for Edge of Spider-verse #2. Everthing seemed to work fine, and I even downloaded a free issue of Ms Marvel, but when I purchased Books of Doom, it just won't download. Instead I get a "download error". It is also not showing in the "my comics" section of the marvel website

Anyone else have these problems or know a solution?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I've never had that particular problem, no. Do you know if your card has actually been charged?

Try emailing onlinesupport@marvel.com, they're pretty good at helping with issues.

• Options
    Yeah I send them an email last night.

You do think it's because I'm using an iphone 4s? I just read that the app is optimized for the iphone 6

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, their customer service sucks. I've dealt with them two or three times and it's usually been at least a week before they got back to me.

• Options
    So I got an email back from them and they told me to seek help from support@comixology.com.

WTH? Isn't that like a different comic app altogether?

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So I got an email back from them and they told me to seek help from support@comixology.com.

WTH? Isn't that like a different comic app altogether?

Marvel's non-Unlimited stuff is just Comixology's app. Even their website stuff is just Comixology.

osasbutton.png
  • Options
    Really? Did not known that. Why do they even make people use the Marvel comics app if they can just use the Comixology app instead?

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Really? Did not known that. Why do they even make people use the Marvel comics app if they can just use the Comixology app instead?

The Marvel app is, I believe, essentially licensed out. DC has one, too. They're all Comixology based and technically anything you redeem on the Marvel app is right there on the main Comixology one as well. Couldn't tell you why they do both, but they do.

osasbutton.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well the Comixology support guy managed to fix the problem and now the book is downloading. Still a weird process to go through though

EDIT: Also how do you exit out of a book you were reading? I want to go back to the store, but I can't figure out how do so

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    If you tap on the center of the screen, a bar should appear at the top that has a back arrow in the top left corner.

• Options
    Thanks dude! :)

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    This is entirely this thread's fault. >_<
    odtwSuT.jpg

I uh, I think I got some reading to do.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ooooh they changed the spine of the Marvel trades to be white? Super classy, especially for Hickman's stuff.

Cap & Mighty Avengers #2 (CAATMA), I liked the twist with the team being a co-op, so it really is the hippy dippy Avenger team. This is a nice respite from the seriousness of Hickman's stuff.

I do wonder when Dani is going to grow up a bit, in terms of Marvel time she should only be a year or two younger than Val. Don't pull a Family Ties on her but age her enough to not be swaddled in a blanket all the time, you feel me fam?