As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    No.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So here I am finally mostly settled into my new apartment and going through my comic backlog and what the hell? New Hawkeye? It's been so long since it got a new issue I had forgotten I even had a subscription to that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    GeekBabel wrote: »
    So how bout that Howard The Duck #1 :). It certainly was a thing they did. It was pretty good, funny, exciting, but it was essentially "Cross-over" the comic book. Like every 2-3 pages they introduced or name dropped another marvel hero/villain. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and I'll admit I'm not well versed in all things Howard the Duck, so maybe this is par for the course, but I don't see this being more than just "how many properties can we shoe horn in this issue." and if that's what it is... ok I'd probably still read it because it was still pretty funny, but it could be more.
    I very rarely pick up a Marvel book these days, but I shelled out for it. It was...mildly amusing. I'm not sure what audience they were going for; most of the jokes were corny as hell (although it did have some decent moments, and some great dialogue). I was kinda hoping they would keep the Howard personality from the Marvel Zombies run, but this one is...eh. A little more fuss-with-feathers.

Ironically, probably the best part of the book was how Howard hit it off with that inked young woman he was sharing a cell with. I mean, she has "future plot device" written all over her, but in a world where Spider-Man can't text legibly and She-Hulk treats him like a neanderthal that crawled out of an old episode of the Rockford Files, it's kind of nice to meet someone he can parlay with that's not a one-note-joke and can hold her own with him.

The ending was just kinda gratuitous, but you coulda called that. I give it three issues before we get a Spider-Verse crossover starring Peter Porker.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    does anybody else get the issue in the unlimited library where the expand and remove issue links just... stop working? I swear, it seems like every couple weeks something else on their website breaks

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dunno if I'm gonna stick with the new Hawkeye run after Fraction puts out his final issue (whenever the fuck that ends up being). Hawkeye just veered hard into Secret Avengers style shenanigans and I already read Secret Avengers so eh? I enjoy Secret Avengers but I dunno if I really need another comic telling the same sorta stories with the same tone.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    However, Secret Avengers does not have Kate Bishop, so there's that.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Secret Avengers is ending soonish too

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Secret Avengers is ending soonish too

Oh, well, I guess that works out then! I'm terrible about keeping up with the publishing news side of all this.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Dan Slott is writing the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows story, and all the art looks happy and it makes me feel happy, then he brings up this being the Last Days/last Spidey story and Venom is going to come at him in full force because of the family thing and I'm all "can't.....can't it just be a happy story and leave it at that?"

Let Venom come after Spider-Man but is hit by a bus and that's it, they all go to the park and have ice cream and then Peter and MJ drop May off to play with Franklin and Val and have a date and that's that.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    They could do that.

I doubt it would sell. You don't see a lot of comics about a dude just being a dad. Even Cyclops and Saga, which are both about parenting, have lots of fights and stuff.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Happy stories are rough sells because most stories rely on conflict of some kind. That said, there's no real reason that a person with a happy, healthy family life couldn't have enough conflict to drive a superhero comic, and honestly, there aren't a whole lot of comics with that dynamic, and I'd love to see more of that.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    What was the point of making the kid's hair colour red, when in the Spider-girl series she's a brunette. Like, sure they could always say he later dyes her hair, but it just seems like an unnecessary change.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    What was the point of making the kid's hair colour red, when in the Spider-girl series she's a brunette. Like, sure they could always say he later dyes her hair, but it just seems like an unnecessary change.
    It also seems like a really minor thing that isn't an issue

Like this isn't the same universe as Spider-Girl

Who cares if she has red hair, it shows she takes after her mom

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    If she was blonde Peter would have a lot of explaining to do....

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    It also seems like a really minor thing that isn't an issue

Like this isn't the same universe as Spider-Girl

Who cares if she has red hair, it shows she takes after her mom
    That article sort of implies they're both divergent from the same pregnancy plot from the 90s, meaning they should still be the same person.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    New series Everybody Love Peter confirmed. Staring Ray Romano

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Hmm. I knew Texas had problems with their sex ed curriculum, but I was unaware of how deep the problem went until this very moment

• Options
    edited March 2015
    d.....dammit.

edit: no wait I'll save it! Something something spider totem Charlotte's Web spider-babies!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Uncanny X-Men #32, picked it up after that two year story, it gets some things right, and then it feels like Bendis had to twist the knife a bit.

Everyone still feels really artificially hostile to Scott, and while his reasoning for the revolution is fine, it just accepts he was wrong the whole time. It borrows a lot from the Civil War era of bad stories where Tony is automatically in the wrong simply because Steve died, which is very cheap when it comes to comics.

He also has a chance to fix the Scott/Emma thing and then whiffs on that because he inexplicably hates them together and makes Scott say something really not-Scott like and in someways worse than his whole Dr. Doom/Ms. Marvel cow whore line from Mighty Avengers.

And Havok's here now, apparently not evil from the way it seems. Though it looks like he might finally be addressing the adults on the team's powers being wonky, if only to say they got better off panel somewhere in time for the linewide relaunch.

• Options
    All-New All-Different Avengers leaked:
    CA-VPLkXEAIavk1.jpg

Helllll yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Waid is def one of the few that could follow post hickman, im in.
    also not surprising but confirms miles coming the the "main" marvel universe post secret wars.

Im def in.

wonder who is in the iron man armor

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-Men #32, picked it up after that two year story, it gets some things right, and then it feels like Bendis had to twist the knife a bit.

Everyone still feels really artificially hostile to Scott, and while his reasoning for the revolution is fine, it just accepts he was wrong the whole time. It borrows a lot from the Civil War era of bad stories where Tony is automatically in the wrong simply because Steve died, which is very cheap when it comes to comics.

He also has a chance to fix the Scott/Emma thing and then whiffs on that because he inexplicably hates them together and makes Scott say something really not-Scott like and in someways worse than his whole Dr. Doom/Ms. Marvel cow whore line from Mighty Avengers.

And Havok's here now, apparently not evil from the way it seems. Though it looks like he might finally be addressing the adults on the team's powers being wonky, if only to say they got better off panel somewhere in time for the linewide relaunch.

Truth, because this page is spot-on.

5XINfD8.jpg

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    All-New All-Different Avengers leaked:
    CA-VPLkXEAIavk1.jpg

Helllll yes

Oops I just posted this in the Avengers thread.

Looks cool. Iron Man looks kinda Iron Womany.

• Options
    I do hope that's regular Tony there, not a teen or Pepper or just the suit itself mimicking his brain patterns or something, let him be normal, non-evil Tony doing a victory lap because he saved the day in Secret Wars.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So I remembered I have Marvel ultimate and been reading Thunderbolts( Red hulk) . God why cant everything be this good! I really enjoyed everything I read .
    So anything in ultimate that I can read that had Agent venom after he left the team?

• Options
    So I remembered I have Marvel ultimate and been reading Thunderbolts( Red hulk) . God why cant everything be this good! I really enjoyed everything I read .
    So anything in ultimate that I can read that had Agent venom after he left the team?

He showed up in Minimum Carnage, the "Superior Venom" arc of Superior Spider-Man, and became one of the Guardians of the Galaxy starting with issue #14

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

He showed up in Minimum Carnage, the "Superior Venom" arc of Superior Spider-Man, and became one of the Guardians of the Galaxy starting with issue #14

Also, you could check out his own series written by Cullen Bunn, issue #28 picks up after he leaves Thunderbolts, the series ran until issue 42 and was collected in those three linked TPBs, not sure if it's on Marvel ultimate (Unlimited?) though

• Options
    Yeah, it's all on Unlimited. The last issue was October 2013, and MU is only six months behind new releases.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Thanks for the heads up guys and yes I meant unlimited sorry about that.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I would much rather it be pepper in the suit.

• Options
    what about ultimate tony, all the fun without the dickery / baggage more or less.

• Options
    It seems like the Rage of Ultron story released tomorrow has (big spoilers)
    Hank Pym merging with Ultron and flying away to save the world/remove Ultron from the table, and how the robot finally has a human heart.

It's like the green ending from ME3 mixed with Cyclops merging with Apocalypse

if that's true it interests me enough to check it out, and would make the OGN format really carry weight again.

• Options
    It's been a while since it was released so I'm just wondering if anyone read Rage of Ultron and if it's Remender returning to his UXF roots?

• Options
    My copy hasn't arrived yet. (Waited a week to order it, it sold out, had to wait another week to order it again.)

• Options
    I've read it, I wouldn't say it's as good as UXF, but it's a bit better than his work on Uncanny Avengers has been.

• Options
    I think it was pretty good

His dialogue wasn't at the top of his game but the plot was fast and solid and I like the new status quo it presents

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So Starlord/ black vortex spoilers
    starlord asks kitty to marry him and she says yes

Wonder if that will have relevance after secret wars...

• Options
    So the part of ANXM #40 that no one's talking about, the Utopians
    Karma has been at the Jean Grey School for quite a while now, and suddenly she's on Utopia for some reason? What on Earth?

Personally, I would have used Dani Moonstar and Nate Grey. I miss those two.

• Options
    So the part of ANXM #40 that no one's talking about, the Utopians
    Karma has been at the Jean Grey School for quite a while now, and suddenly she's on Utopia for some reason? What on Earth?

Personally, I would have used Dani Moonstar and Nate Grey. I miss those two.
    Bendis don't give a fuuuuck

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Seriously, wouldn't you think that the Utopians would be made up of people who were living on Utopia when AvX happened?

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I am pretty bummed out by how Bendis has spent the last year of his run.

It feels like he's just kind of throwing a bunch of shit he didn't get around to into the ether right now so that future writers will be forced to pick up the threads.

And it's not like some clever thing where he's come up with a really neat cliffhanger, like his Daredevil. He's just.... like, got some cocktail napkins with ideas on them, and suddenly they're in the X-Men.

HadjiQuest on