As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australia, where winter is coming. And also Game of Thrones, months after everywhere else.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So (spoilered for mostly positive personal stuff):
    I got a message from a girl on OKCupid a couple of days ago who said she found my profile "intriguing". We switched from OKC to texts shortly after and we've just spent the entire day texting back and forth about everything from our ambitions to politics to whether or not zombies poop. It was awesome

A little while ago she called and we talked for just over an hour. I was pretty nervous but once we got started we really opened up to each other about... the depths of who we are, what we're afraid of and our strengths and what we don't like about ourselves. I don't think I've ever been that honest with someone. It was certainly the longest phone conversation I've had in years. I'm terrible at phone conversations by the way, I was nailing the text exchanges but sometimes on the phone I don't have enough time to do the necessary post-processing on the thoughts I have and I end up saying some weird things. This time was no exception, there were a few awkward pauses on my part too.

So on the one hand it was an amazing day, and I'm really excited to hopefully meet her in person next week. On the other hand I'm kind of intimidated by her. She's really fit, she dances and she's doing a 20km obstacle course tomorrow. Not to mention smart as a whip and cute as hell. I'm in a pretty good place in my life right now, my confidence and self respect are on the rise and things are going really well at work, but I just don't do as much as her. I'm scared that when we finally meet I won't be interesting enough, or that the brain-part that supplies suggestions for the next thing to say during conversations will dry up (as it often does for me when I'm nervous) and there'll be one of those silences seem to go f-o-r-e-v-e-r until it finally ends with her saying "yeah, no."

Luckily it's after midnight now so I'm going to indulge the part of my brain that wants me to go and hide under the covers anyway.

Butler on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    You're awesome, go forth and be you.

• Options
    Honestly, the bottleneck here is the phone conversation. If I can make it to face-to-face then I might be alright. For me, when it comes to expressing myself articulately it goes phones/skype<real life<text.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    to whether or not zombies poop.

Well?! Do they?

also you're so very much the best butler I'm sure if you show even a fraction of yourself she'll be head over heels

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Niall if she doesn't adore you straight away in person, then she's not worth it anyway.

Not saying that to flatter you necessarily, but you are already very lovable as you are. And plenty interesting.

Dammit man, you're a SCIENTIST!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Seriouisly Niall you can't just drop that out there without clearing it up.

You should ask to see her face in person.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I also don't think you really need to spoil that. We are OK with you being happy.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    ... sometimes on the phone I don't have enough time to do the necessary post-processing on the thoughts I have and I end up saying some weird things. ...

I had an awful real-life version of this yesterday.

I needed to get some washing machine detergent from reception. (I am staying at a serviced apartment.) Pretty simple right?

But no, my brain decided to take a big stinky fart at that moment and somehow I just couldn't figure out the order to put words in.

"I need... washing machine... little bottle... detergent..."

I think she thought I didn't speak much English because if she thought I was super weird, she didn't show it.

broken image link
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    ... sometimes on the phone I don't have enough time to do the necessary post-processing on the thoughts I have and I end up saying some weird things. ...

I had an awful real-life version of this yesterday.

I needed to get some washing machine detergent from reception. (I am staying at a serviced apartment.) Pretty simple right?

But no, my brain decided to take a big stinky fart at that moment and somehow I just couldn't figure out the order to put words in.

"I need... washing machine... little bottle... detergent..."

I think she thought I didn't speak much English because if she thought I was super weird, she didn't show it.

When you're so certain about what you need to ask for, and it's such a small thing, that you don't actually bother to put the words into a sentence until you are halfway through said sentence

• Options
    You guys are all sweeties <3

Also to clear up the zombie thing: Depending on the type of zombie we're talking about here, I think they either constantly soil themselves, or digest human flesh at such high efficiency that they don't need to excrete anything except as water vapour and CO2.

• Options
    Does that sort of thing happen to everyone?

I kind of assume that it does but nobody talks about it because they are embarrassed and that nobody notices when other people do it.

broken image link
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    It's not super uncommon. I'd hear it a lot when working at Dick Smith and just kind of stopped noticing that people even did it after a while.

And then I'd often end up doing the exact same thing when trying to explain something to a customer.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Great example here, from about 2:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk8mOSWGw0s

"Petrol suitcase?!"

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I thought @Mr Fuzzbutt‌ was talking about digesting people.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Nothing more embarrassing than a man-eating bear with constant gas problems.

• Options
    Only able to hang out with tasty hairless pink prey and other gassy bears.

... @tynic‌

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey!
    I resemble that remark!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kanye West: Rapper stops concert in Australia trying to get 2 handicapped fans to 'stand up and dance'

haha seriously?
    This nearly made me break my policy of 'never click on a facebook trending link.' Nearly.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    @Mr Fuzzbutt Hey man were you after a PAX pass? I think Butler tagged you last page about it or was that someone else?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Kanye West: Rapper stops concert in Australia trying to get 2 handicapped fans to 'stand up and dance'

haha seriously?
    This nearly made me break my policy of 'never click on a facebook trending link.' Nearly.

He tried a couple of times to get the people close to the stage to form circles (mosh) during some of his rockier songs like Blkkk SkkkN Head.

Didn't happen.

• Options
    You can't put that many letter ks in one work.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's okay, he put it in two words!

• Options
    We're meeting for lunch this Saturday!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Mr Fuzzbutt Hey man were you after a PAX pass? I think Butler tagged you last page about it or was that someone else?

Was me but I can't remember if I was right or not.

• Options
    Hmmmm dunno if I'll be able to get the Friday off since I just started, and I'll need to take another day off for a wedding not long after.

broken image link
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    What a way to come back to work! Got to my room tonight to find that my room fridge had been taken outside, I assume to de-ice it. That's cool, no problems with that.

The only problem is I had a bag full of mudcrab sitting in the little freezer compartment, which got left on my bench. In a tiny room. With no AC on. In 30 degree weather.

Yeah

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Hoooo boy that would've been RANK

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Everybody likes rank though.

• Options
    Also it appears I will be in Noosa for the next three weeks?

What is in Noosa people?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Beaches? That's really about it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Also it appears I will be in Noosa for the next three weeks?

What is in Noosa people?

I met a trio of teachers from Noosa when I was backpacking Europe. We got along pretty well, had some laughs, and they were pretty easy on the eye, if you follow my drift.

What I'm saying is, once upon a time, I had an opportunity to be in Noosa people. :winky:

• Options
    Geth is such a player.

• Options
    It's cool though guys. I found a cliff there.

I should be ok.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I've been there before, all I can remember is the nice beaches and good burgers. So I guess see if one of those burger stands are still there next to the beach?

• Options
    Spiced HamSpiced Ham Registered User regular
    Picked up my Oculus Rift from the post office, exciting! Now ready for the longest afternoon of work in history.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Hey Perth chums, anyone feel like some board games this weekend?

I kinda wanna play more Archipelago.

• Options
    SleepyOwlSleepyOwl Perth Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So a tenga set up by mechanical arm with various hentia?

• Options
    SleepyOwlSleepyOwl Perth Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Niall if she doesn't adore you straight away in person, then she's not worth it anyway.

Not saying that to flatter you necessarily, but you are already very lovable as you are. And plenty interesting.

Dammit man, you're a SCIENTIST!
    I'm desperately trying to find that Kriegers magic breath sticks scene.

• Options
    RunningMan1989RunningMan1989 Registered User new member
    You'll be fine Butler.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    what was that guy all about?

This discussion has been closed.