As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Australia, where winter is coming. And also Game of Thrones, months after everywhere else.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be a good judge at all. I guess you're stuck with it then :rotate:
    The code I write is, super fucking niche and I mostly just need sound business knowledge about what is a good / bad idea or high / low risk.
    Writing clean code helps too I guess. I spent 12 of the past 20 months working on what I imagine is some of the worst code good developers have ever produced.

E: I want to take this moment to bitch about the fact that somewhere in MSVC libs there is something along the lines of #define GetMessage GetMessageA. So now I have to add #undefs to file so they build on windows for people who like the visual studio debugger (it is good I won't lie).
    What's stopping you from calling Unicode functions directly?

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    No bordering on collapse due to excessive spending.

HOLY SHIT

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    tynic wrote: »
    The monthly printed an excerpt from mungo maccallums book on Whitlam. How have I never heard this quote before?
    "What can I do for Tasmania? What can anybody do for Tasmania? I mean, the place is fucked."

Am in Tasmania. Can confirm.

Trivia: A major department store was destroyed after burning down in the center of the Hobart CBD. Construction on the site began in the last couple of weeks.

It burned down eight years ago. The CBD's had a huge literal hole in the middle of it during that entire time, because nobody could be persuaded to invest.

Suriko on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Cross-posting from the boardgames thread, but after reading this article, I feel like this game should be added to the national curriculum:

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-dog-eat-dog/

Vivixenne on
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Cross-posting from the boardgames thread, but after reading this article, I feel like this game should be added to the national curriculum:

I just bought the pdf copy and bound up two books if people want to play it sometime

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I would print out a copy to bring to Melbourne but I'm not sure we'd get an appropriate chance to play it, really.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

I just bought the pdf copy and bound up two books if people want to play it sometime

Once the characteristics of the both sides are decided, you need to decide who among you will play the colonising forces. That’s when you get to drop this question on your friends, this absolute brute.

“Okay, who here is the richest person?”

That’s right, the richest player at the table is the coloniser.

Well of course Tef is eager to play it

That's only the first game though!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am the richest.

In spirit.

Buying the game is a stark contrast to my efforts this morning, trying to get an owner's manual for one of our trucks on site. For Dog Eat Dog, I just sent the guy $10 on PayPal, got a Dropbox link to a pdf and bad, done and dusted. Getting my hands on the fucking owner's manual (a machine that we spent $60,000 on, btw) requires me to speak on the telephone to 4 separate people and is now going to require us to order one, by mail, and pay $80 for the privilege!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    but hey this way all 4 of those people have JOBS, man

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    You'll never guess who got horrifically ill. It's this guy! in the space of 5 hours I went from "gymguy mcsuperdude" to "cold porridge being splashed with stagnant water". Thankfully I think when sickness hits so suddenly and horribly your body doesn't fuck around with getting rid of it. So 2 nights with fever dreams and hourly wake ups and I might be a person again and can get back to studying.

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    No bordering on collapse due to excessive spending.

I want to get this framed.

• KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna set up a whatsapp group for PAX communications.

Please PM me your phone numbers if I don't have them. I promise not to sell them to shady marketing companies until after PAX.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be a good judge at all. I guess you're stuck with it then :rotate:
    The code I write is, super fucking niche and I mostly just need sound business knowledge about what is a good / bad idea or high / low risk.
    Writing clean code helps too I guess. I spent 12 of the past 20 months working on what I imagine is some of the worst code good developers have ever produced.

E: I want to take this moment to bitch about the fact that somewhere in MSVC libs there is something along the lines of #define GetMessage GetMessageA. So now I have to add #undefs to file so they build on windows for people who like the visual studio debugger (it is good I won't lie).
    What's stopping you from calling Unicode functions directly?

The places I have to undef it are when I need to use a class that happens to have a function called GetMessage that have winuser.h trickle down into them through some chain of includes (the software is never deployed on windows, but we keep it building because some people prefer that workflow).

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

How does it prevent the colonists simply taking all the tokens?
    Surely if the colonists are always superior, then they can simply take the riches or demand the roleplaying character hand over his meta-game tokens. Anything less would be insubordination.

edited October 2014
    discrider wrote: »

How does it prevent the colonists simply taking all the tokens?
    Surely if the colonists are always superior, then they can simply take the riches or demand the roleplaying character hand over his meta-game tokens. Anything less would be insubordination.

There's specific rules for how the tokens are handed over, I believe. One token for each instance of law-breaking, or one token for each instance of managing to obey the laws. The tokens themselves are not an in-world currency, so you can't actually just order them to give you their tokens.

Anzekay on
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Kincaid wrote: »

Please PM me your phone numbers if I don't have them. I promise not to sell them to shady marketing companies until after PAX.

Not trying to poop on parties or be difficult, but services that demand access to my phone contacts that shouldn't need them make me.. iffy about them.

pimento wrote: »
    Kincaid wrote: »

Not trying to poop on parties or be difficult, but services that demand access to my phone contacts that shouldn't need them make me.. iffy about them.

That's fair. If it makes you feel any comfortable, Blake, Viv, myself and a good few other folks from this thread have it too (though I only just installed it today...) and I haven't heard anything negative.

Up to you though, bud. If you're not comfortable with it, we can just have some folks text you about anything major.

I'm an infosec guy, app permissions are something of a bugbear. Most of the permissions it needs are reasonable really, but the fact that it can access my contacts and the second section of the user agreement is that it will use those contacts for.. I guess automatically telling everyone who has WhatsApp that I now have WhatsApp is a little pushy. In this case I'm probably being oversensitive, but.. you know. I prefer to grant access rather than reclaim privacy.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I always found it a pain that app permissions are an all or nothing kinda deal. Like, why can't I deny the app permission to access something, and it just loses some functionality because of it? Blargh.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    On review of WhatsApp's privacy policy, I've concluded that I'm being oversensitive in this case.

Totally granular app permissions can make it hard to design a good UX for, which limits the devs who will write apps for your device, which limits the amount of boasting you can do about how big your app store is. On the flip side, hiding the permissions or making it too much focussed on the users to make sure this or that app isn't super super dodgy creates a situation where dodgy apps are running rampant. It's a balancing game that I feel is swayed too much towards the 'well the users should dig into this and make sure it's OK' for the most part. Windows Phone will pop up and say 'THIS THING WANTS ACCESS TO YOUR LOCATION' but contacts and phone user identity are treated the same way as access to my music: go read the fine print.

I usually look into app agreements but in cases like this, where folks I trust are already using it, I tend to just grab it without too much worry.

But given your work and all, I can understand why you're always cautious dude :P

edited October 2014
    Dodgy apps won't necessarily give a bad user experience, or give any indication that they're sending your contacts to a server somewhere in Russia and leaving your mic open for listening in. Just some fine print that states they need to access your contacts and mic.

Edit: Geth knows what I'm talking about.

pimento on
    I'm terrible about that stuff. I just blindly accept so the thing does the thing

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    I'm terrible about that stuff. I just blindly accept so the thing does the thing

Yea, most do. Thing is, it really shouldn't be up to the end user to care about it, the platform holders need to take some responsibility for it. Taylor Swift put it more eloquently than I can. It goes back to shit like Sun/Oracle piling in the damn Ask toolbar with Java (still?!) and the crapware that comes with new computers - tickboxes that come pre-ticked to trick the impatient and fool the new users. Malware's been accessing your address book for years - now they just put some fine print next to a big OK button.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Taylor Swift knows so much about boys.

And firewalls.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There is a parody Taylor Swift twitter account that is very focused on information security.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I try to be conscientious about privacy stuff, but inevitably there's always a night when I'm tired and don't care, and then I hit yes anyway.

yes.

I am aware christopher.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well now you're double aware.

And my double awareness fee is $63.20 (10% off if you pay cash).

There is a parody Taylor Swift twitter account that is very focused on information security.

The thing I linked to is literally the same person. It's a great account.

Ah. I did not see the link highlight in your post.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So yet again, my weather app tells nothing but lies and deception about the day's forecast. What Android apps do you guys use?

工事中
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Pocket Weather. It's by the same people who do Pocket Casts (which I keep hearing good things about but have never actually used myself), uses BOM data and is pretty.

Also they're from Adelaide. It's not particularly relevant, but given what thread we're in, I thought I'd put it out there.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhhhh! Time to go pick up the keys! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Pocket Weather. It's by the same people who do Pocket Casts (which I keep hearing good things about but have never actually used myself), uses BOM data and is pretty.

Also they're from Adelaide. It's not particularly relevant, but given what thread we're in, I thought I'd put it out there.

That's the app I'm currently using. I suppose it's more on the BOM-side, then.

I also use Pocket Casts, and it's pretty great.

工事中
    @Awko @Sorc @Kincaid @Seguer‌

Okay, so, Dandenongs on Sunday yeah? Weather forecast seems to be okay at the moment, so it's still a-go! I'm thinking we meet up there around 11ish? Gives us some time to wander around a bit before we find somewhere for lunch.

As for where to meet, I've never been there so I am open to suggestions. Otherwise I'll give it a look later today or tomorrow and find a landmark.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »

That's the app I'm currently using. I suppose it's more on the BOM-side, then.

I also use Pocket Casts, and it's pretty great.

Maybe check what it says on http://m.bom.gov.au and see if it matches up. If it doesn't, Pocket Weather might be picking up old data.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Weather forecast problems are quickly solved by never going outside.

This discussion has been closed.