As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2014 World [Chat]

zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
Apparently some big soccer thing is going on right now. A bunch of countries are making a big deal about it, and soccer fans have appeared in public to check for their shadows, before retreating and hiding for another four years.

Since I have a meeting with my boss...right now, watch how 'football' players flop worse than Lebron.

http://youtu.be/LC-H2wXK4T4

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah football, ludicrous display, cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLlLQ3LmZWU

THIS IS THE FUNNIEST FUCKING THING

Oh brilliant
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My favourite flop was (I think) a Barcelona player: The ball brushed his shin, so naturally he collapses holding his head in "agony".

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Also: Disappointed this isn't about the Hockey World Cup to mess with our expectations.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    bugger

i had an awesome [chat] lined up

oh well i guess this is more appropriate

harumph

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    That last TF2 cartoon is the best one so far.

The group dynamic is great.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    the hockey world cup is so strangely scheduled

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    From the conversation about Gygax in the last thread: I think most people these days have enountered his work through his more famous and reprinted adventures like the Against the Giants and Drow series. These are modules that are based around direct antagonism between players and DM. They feature combat, mazes and traps and almost no opportunity for talking to anything.
    What we lose sight of today is that these modules were written for a specific setting: D&D Tournaments. At cons and such they would have competetive D&D being run in this fashion and everyone knew going in what to expect. It's not supposed to be an ongoing campaign with friends its supposed to be a one-off fun times variant to play at a con with strangers. Think of them like the board game Descent but from the 1970s.

I think if you want to get a feel for what Gygax thought about how to play D&D with friends read all the "how to play" stuff from the blue box basic set and especially in B2: Keep on the Borderlands.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    so, when is the next big world cup match?

**********|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    **********|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    @simonwolf @electricitylikesme‌ @Apothe0sis‌

EATING A WHOLE VALUE PACK OF TIM TAMS

GET IN

obF2Wuw.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That last TF2 cartoon is the best one so far.

The group dynamic is great.

The whole thing is pitch perfect.

Think my fav is Spy's little lip quiver, trying not to laugh.

Oh brilliant
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Neco wrote:
    ...did they finally make a movie out of that dumb internet story of the kid proving the existence of god to his professor?

I . . haven't heard of this. But probably. Fundies eat that crap up.

I haven't played a D&D game that didn't houserule something.

Rule 0 bitches!

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    mint, cucumber, and lemon water

nom nom nom

also this hypercolor straw is fun

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    From the conversation about Gygax in the last thread: I think most people these days have enountered his work through his more famous and reprinted adventures like the Against the Giants and Drow series. These are modules that are based around direct antagonism between players and DM. They feature combat, mazes and traps and almost no opportunity for talking to anything.
    What we lose sight of today is that these modules were written for a specific setting: D&D Tournaments. At cons and such they would have competetive D&D being run in this fashion and everyone knew going in what to expect. It's not supposed to be an ongoing campaign with friends its supposed to be a one-off fun times variant to play at a con with strangers. Think of them like the board game Descent but from the 1970s.

I think if you want to get a feel for what Gygax thought about how to play D&D with friends read all the "how to play" stuff from the blue box basic set and especially in B2: Keep on the Borderlands.

Blue Box wasn't actually Gygax, it was Moldvay. The article I linked upthread specifically mentions this because of how often people misbelieve it to be OD&D.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    the flops Americans like to make fun of seem to not really be a thing in Danish (or Northern European in general I think) football

on the other hand, it doesn't matter much when Denmark is as mediocre as they are

now handball, there's a sport where we sort of matter

And as previously stated: I like 3.5/Pathfinder, but I admit it needs an honour system.

Also, @Neco‌ I dig your latest avatar. ;)

Atomika wrote: »
    Neco wrote:
    ...did they finally make a movie out of that dumb internet story of the kid proving the existence of god to his professor?

It's a Chick Tract. I like the edited rebuttal.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The little details in the TF2 cartoons are what really set them apart.

The characters are so striking visually, and that also helps.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    im gonna use the spanish language stream for this one... less distracting because my spanish is rusty

but more exciting too

poo
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i just ate a lot of tapas

not my stomach is sore and my heart hurts

• HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    so, when is the next big world cup match?

Saturday. Also, your post seems glitchy.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    @simonwolf @electricitylikesme‌ @Apothe0sis‌

EATING A WHOLE VALUE PACK OF TIM TAMS

GET IN

Oh is that how it is now?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Podly wrote: »
    mint, cucumber, and lemon water

nom nom nom

also this hypercolor straw is fun

x2vAXm0.jpg

Neco wrote:

It's a Chick Tract. I like the edited rebuttal.

oooh show me

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I still mean to run Keep on the Borderlands sometime.

rRwz9.gif
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Not having read about the man before, I've been pretty surprised to learn, reading an extensive history of D&D, that Gygax was a Jehovah's Witness (and, based in his religion, a conscientious objector and outspokenly anti-war)

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @syndalis‌

Wizards of the Coast has joined the Drupal Master Race:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Dark Raven X

Your sig makes me sad about how the next TWAU episode is probably at least 1 month away.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Also, @Neco‌ I dig your latest avatar. ;)

I preferred one of her previous ones.

No I won't say which one.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Yeah, a lot of people look at stuff like Temple of Elemental Evil and it becomes this idea that you have a very adversarial relationship between DM and players. And it gets worse with stuff like the Fiend Folio. Not to mention stuff like the ear seeker.

Jacobkosh wrote: »

I still mean to run Keep on the Borderlands sometime.

I'm going to convert The Tomb of Horrors into a Torchbearer module one of these days.

café is blasting world cup match at full volume

guess I'm following football now?

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    I haven't played a D&D game that didn't houserule something.

Rule 0 bitches!

The only D&D games that were truly RAW were RPGA/D&D Encounters stuff

like, official official stuff

and it wasn't very fun

so

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    This, is a bucket
    Dear God!
    There's More
    No...

This discussion has been closed.