As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Survive the Summer [Steam] Sale. IT'S OVER.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    When Skyrim bundles go on sale do the dlc's usually go on sale individually too? I want my own skyrim, but the greenmangaming sale is only for the base skyrim, so wondering if I can buy dlc on sale later unbundled, or should I just wait for the next bundle sale on steam

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    You should be fine just buying the base game. The DLCs don't change the gameplay in a very significant manner and there's loads to do and explore in the base game.

I think the individuals DLCs also go on sale, yes. Can't really tell you which option is the most financially sound, though, with the Legendary Edition and all that.

Platy on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Never played a Civ game before, just bought it and BNW. Seems crazy overwhelming to get into.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Never played a Civ game before, just bought it and BNW. Seems crazy overwhelming to get into.

Civ actually does a pretty good job of explaining the basics as you go. The tips are pretty informative for new players.

I'd recommend playing a game or two on one of the easiest difficulty settings to get your bearings. On that setting the AI has some pretty hefty penalties, so you should have plenty of time to figure things out.

After that, I'd go up to the prince difficulty pretty quickly, as that's kind of the default difficulty setting where you and the AI start on even footing.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    It takes a couple games to really figure out what to do, but there are some pretty great tooltips to help guide you. Just mess around and look at the different victory options. Then move toward one (or some).

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Ugh, I forgot how garbage Farkas is.

Dude is worse than useless.

I would be better off solo than having him fucking following me.

RUns off after enemies while I'm trying to be stealthy, which is just dandy.

Dude is decent as a decoy, but once his health gets low he's basically dead weight.

Dead weight that draws enemies to him, and insists on staying close to me, leading them dangerous close to me while I'm trying to snipe.

I mean if he'd stay down long enough to actually regen enough health to be of any fucking use, that'd be one thing. But he just immediately gets back up and runs to me while enemies are chasing him.

Worst part is I can't give him any directions at all. Like to fucking stay put.

It's like a dog on a leash (no pun intended) that I'm not allowed to release, which won't actually listen to anything I say.

Farkas is my current follower! These things amuse me greatly, he is definitely simple.

The worst part is when he's not out of health, but gets noticed by bad guys and completely ignores them while they're wailing on him because apparently he's more interested in giving me a hug.

No Farkas, I don't have any treats. NOW GO DO SOMETHING.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Do a YouTube search for "civil v guide" and you will find gazillions of helpful videos.

Wow, my phone Autocorrect knows the word gazillions

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    But not the word civ, apparently

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I got a new computer and my friend just gifted me civ 4, but now I'm eyeing civ complete in a major way

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Farkas and I are best buds, brutish, tough, adventurous fighters, skilled with giant two handed weapons.

... and we're both deathly afraid of spiders. Nothing in the game frightens me anymore, except those damn spiders. Anytime I go into a cave, and notice webbing, I actually start sweating.

And caves which block off my view of spiders, but let me hear them? No way. Fuck that shit.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I only have the base Civ V game. Which expansion should I get? I heard BNW has G&K's changes...?

Ya pretty sure all you wouldn't have with BNW is some scenario's, I think BNW even gives you the G&K civilization.

Dang, looks like it doesn't. BNW has all of G&K's mechanics, but not the civilizations (except for Ethiopia). Bought both.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Farkas and I are best buds, brutish, tough, adventurous fighters, skilled with giant two handed weapons.

... and we're both deathly afraid of spiders. Nothing in the game frightens me anymore, except those damn spiders. Anytime I go into a cave, and notice webbing, I actually start sweating.

And caves which block off my view of spiders, but let me hear them? No way. Fuck that shit.

If you ever get Dark Souls 2, don't play the Sunken Crown DLC.

Just say no.

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Everyone should try Arena: Cyber Evolution.

Its surprisingly fun, and the skill ceiling keeps rising as you unlock more implants and the like. It just needs way more players, and maps, and characters.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

Just say no.

The spiders are in the main game, not the DLC

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @Duke 2.0

I devoutly hope this is the last nudge I'll need, but I'm (once again) at the end of this particular rope. I just hope this roadblock is as ridiculous as the other two!

After our last conversation, I

obtained the Cog of the Soul. Took me a while to find the last switch, admittedly. Also picked up some Fairy Clothes.

While thinking about that last switch, I went ahead and defeated Baphomet.

I have turned my attention to the Chamber of Birth.

I am not convinced that I'm supposed to be here. Between the Altars, the blocked paths, and the Old Text*, I have to wonder if I'm meant to gain something (or multiple somethings) from (an)other area(s) before getting through here. But those puzzles (volcano / pedestal, Elixir of Life, Laser Dude, Dragon Statue) have few, if any, clues (and those clues suggest items I don't have), and so I keep returning here.

The Cog, when used in the Gate of Illusion, activated the Sephirots in the Chamber of Birth. This has proven to be a bit of a pain; but, doing so gave me two items: the perfume and an Ankh Jewel.

The two major problems, as I see them, are:
    1) I cannot access the Holy Grail tablet; nor, relatedly, place the Cog in (what looks like) a hotspot. Accessing the Holy Grail tablet and related areas seems to require either clearing a blocked ladder (A) or accessing a warp (B). Accessing the warp may require (or lead to) a wall being removed (C) in Asura's Room.

2) I cannot fight Skanda. I imagine that (some combination of) A, B, or C will also give me access to Skanda, but - as a goal - it's in a different place, so I give it a new number. Skanda's Sephirot is 'empty', thanks to the initial application of the Cog of the Soul. I can't find any way into the room.

a) clearing the blocked ladder may be related to the Black Skull Brick; by analogy with the Black Snake Mural, I think I need the Crystal Skull.
    b) Of the eight warps, I have paired six of them. The two unpaired warps are in Brahma's Room and Skanda's Room. Assuming these are connected, either I have to clear the blocked ladder in Brahma's Room (but see A); or remove a wall (C) in Asura's Room.
    c) removing the wall feels related to the Altars of Birth and Death.

Actions I have taken
    - I used the Serpent Staff on the Black Snake Mural pedestal. This only changed some warp destinations, as far as I can tell.
    - I placed the Woman Statue (technically the Maternity Statue) into the Altar of Birth. This has not, independently, helped me.
    - I used the Chakram to hit the Asura bust, and gained access to both the blocked ladder (#1, A) and several rooms: Skanda, Hanuman, Ganesha, and Lakshmi.
    - I revealed a warp in Lakshmi's Room by, I think, scanning Ganesha's mural. This brings me back to near the entrance.
    - I performed the Dance of Life in front of the tablet ("dance in this place; let's praise life"**) in Lakshmi's Room -- this caused a jingle, but I cannot tell what changed.

In the other half of the zone, I have
    - revealed both Palenque's Mural and the Mural of Invocation
    - found the seal in Vishnu's Room; which led to a Mural of Light appearing in the titular room of the Chamber of Extinction. Let there be light, indeed.
    - (for completeness: I picked up the Woman Statue)
    - (for completeness: I found the perfume)

There is one minor problem:
    i) The Mirror Gate in Saraswati's Room is a frustration. With Viy, the gate from the Tower of Ruin wasn't just unlocked - the player has to enter from that side to fight him. Combine that factoid with the other Indian Murals modifying the landscape, and I'm torn between believing that Saraswati can open the gate and thinking that Palenque's death is the primary factor.

* It should be noted that the Glyph Reader is vastly inferior to me. It needs, according to an email, four Rosetta Stones; I was reading the Old Text after the first. Which was mildly helpful in acquiring the Flail Whip "early", but may be more of a liability at this point.
    ** Old Text

Thanks, as always, in advance.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Chamber of Birth was where I stopped playing in the original and caused no end of grief in this version. I'm a little busy at the moment to go in depth, but I wonder if you have talked to Xelpud with the Talisman equipped yet.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Chamber of Birth was where I stopped playing in the original and caused no end of grief in this version. I'm a little busy at the moment to go in depth, but I wonder if you have talked to Xelpud with the Talisman equipped yet.

I did so a long time ago, but I neglected to take a screenshot of the conversation. As best I remember?
    Xelpud said that Talisman belonged to the professor's father; and then Xelpud said something to the effect of, "you say you've seen your father in the ruins? That's crazy. He vanished many [days / weeks / moons] ago"

I might have to load an earlier game and see if I can get more information.

edit: but I'm in no hurry or anything. Whenever it's convenient for you.

Tamin on
  • Options
    I don't believe there's a hint on this one other than stumbling upon it. You have probably seen movement on a ladder in the corner of your vision entering some rooms. That would eventually lead you to more conversations with Xelpud.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ok, that's a place to start

thanks

edit: I guess, as far as hints go, one of Mulbruk's "I'm asleep" bits talk about an "old guy with glasses" barging into her room. That may "count"

if you're certifiable

Tamin on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So they remade the Metro games in a new engine and are asking $50 for it? wtf?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

I thought they were 15 each?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I thought they were 15 each?

If you own the original version, it's half off. 2033 Redux is probably worth the $12.50 for all the upgrades, but Last Light Redux is barely any different.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    You should be fine just buying the base game. The DLCs don't change the gameplay in a very significant manner and there's loads to do and explore in the base game.

I think the individuals DLCs also go on sale, yes. Can't really tell you which option is the most financially sound, though, with the Legendary Edition and all that.

iirc ever since they released the Legendary Edition, when that goes on sale, even if you had the base game the legendary edition is cheaper than buying the on sale DLCs seperate, if you wanted all of them.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

$50 for both games

I don't see why that is a "wtf" situation

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

they rebuilt the engine from the ground up and changed and added things to both

also if you own either you get a discount

• Options
    edited August 2014
    gtrmp wrote: »

Just say no.

The spiders are in the main game, not the DLC

Yeah but they're creepy crawlies that, in a couple areas, make creepy crawly noises well before you're able to see them, is the thing.

I don't even dislike fighting bugs, and that still creeped the shit out of me.

Goatmon on

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Origin is doing a free weekend for Titanfall (along with making it 50% off). If you're at all interested, I encourage you to give it a shot.

I love Titanfall.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    "A cave! Dark. Dangerous. " thanks Farkas, wouldn't have spotted it there.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The best is when you leave a cave and your follower goes "Oh! A cave! I wonder what's inside."

Lydia does that aaaaaaaaaaaaall the time.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    I don't believe there's a hint on this one other than stumbling upon it. You have probably seen movement on a ladder in the corner of your vision entering some rooms. That would eventually lead you to more conversations with Xelpud.

I've been thinking about this for the last few hours, wandering around the ruins. I cannot honestly say I have ever seen a bit of motion like you've described.

I imagine that if, in the past 300+ hours (like I said, I resist asking for help. Once every hundred hours :P) I haven't noticed this, I simply can't see it.

So whenever you have the time, please: I'd like more information.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Just say no.

thespiders in DS2 are in the base game, not the sunken crown DLC, though...

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    First time I was doing the companions story I had no idea that you get stuck with Farkas until it was too late.

"Farkas will accompany you, good luck"

wait what

*Lydia has left your service*

wait WHAT NO

LYDIA COME BACK D:

• Options
    Bahamat I literally responded to that exact statement 5 posts above yours, bro

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Origin is doing a free weekend for Titanfall (along with making it 50% off). If you're at all interested, I encourage you to give it a shot.

I love Titanfall.

you're making me install origin on my new computer and I will never forgive you

(I would have had to eventually for ME3 but still)

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I played some rogue legacy for the first time in almost a year and killed alexander, but now it's basically the same thing all over again in a new area

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    also what is the deal with dragons? I used one and it was butts

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Bahamat I literally responded to that exact statement 5 posts above yours, bro

I didn't read down all the way before responding! But now I don't know what you mean by creepy crawlies, there's nothing remotely spider-like in the DLC. In fact most of the enemies are just big undead dudes.

... OH WAIT, right, there are those gross tick monsters. I forgot about them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
  • Options
    Tamin wrote: »

I've been thinking about this for the last few hours, wandering around the ruins. I cannot honestly say I have ever seen a bit of motion like you've described.

I imagine that if, in the past 300+ hours (like I said, I resist asking for help. Once every hundred hours :P) I haven't noticed this, I simply can't see it.

So whenever you have the time, please: I'd like more information.

I don't have a good rational clue ingame other than telling you to check out the Shrine of the Mother again until Xelpud talks about something new.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, mentioned this in the other Steam thread, but it's still true, so.

Got the Bureau for 4 bucks. Hadn't heard great things, but I beat Enforcer. Twice. I figured it was worth a go for the price of a burger and fries.

On the first "real" mission (at least I haven't lost my hat yet) and... verdict's mixed at best. Guns are alright, look is alright, narrative is crap, but the main flaw?

Your squad is worthless.

No, wait. They're worse than worthless. If they were worthless, you could ignore them. But instead you have to constantly babysit them to get anything done, and they die like salmon in heat.

Republic Commando, your squad was an asset. Sev or Scorch went down, it was your damn fault. You went down, they could be counted on to sort things out until you were back on your feet. Here, not so much.

This discussion has been closed.