As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Relic Knights] Anime Wargame

warder808warder808 Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Critical Failures
So the kickstarter for Relic Knights is finally shipping.

I received my models last week. I was wondering if anyone here has bought this and tried playing any games.

I assembled the starter box and some other parts. I tried playing a game with a friend who didn't look over the rules too much. I have been reading the rule book when I can for the last week. The rules seem pretty good. I think they are better constructed than Infinity.

I like the card drawing mechanic, and I like the Press ability.

But this game definitely needs a fair amount of terrain on the table, and it NEEDS objectives. We tried a match without objectives, and it really doesn't work. I imagine any game without objectives, that has weapons with unlimited range would have the same problem.

Hopefully I'll get more games in next weekend.

steam_sig.png
warder808 on

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Havn't gotten a shipment notification or anything on mine yet. Got Shattered Sword Paladins and Black Diamond coming, the former what I'm probably going to focus on.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Go figure, as soon as I say that I get a shipment notification.

I find it amusing that there's so much in there they actually had to split it into two boxes. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I got the Doctrine. I went half in with a buddy. I got the rule book and a ton of models. There are 11 units listed in the faction in the book. I have 10 of them. But I also have the Tycho model.

I'm hoping to play more this Thursday, hopefully my buddies have taken more time to read the rules.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I have literally no idea what's going on with this game, but despite Escaflowne making me want to flee the room, robot knights are cool, so Shattered Sword has piqued my interest a bit.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    ...damnit, just remembered that I totally don't have any foam to store things in at the moment, so I may have to go case shopping. Maybe a KR.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Swag get!

You know, I had forgotten that I had gotten the Battlemat with my order, which explains the second package. I don't think I had really grasped how big a 3'x3' mat would be, but goddamn.

...I can't actually get it out of the tube. :D The suction from the bag it's in keeps on pulling it back down.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Black Diamond starter assembled.

g5JN2dR.jpg

Totally messed up on the Mate, since apparently I put the exhaust pipes on upside down. Still looks okay, though. Havn't glued the inserts down to the bases yet, though, so I can hit them with a dusting of primer without losing the purple base.

One box down, eighteen to go. *sigh*

EDIT: Fuck you, Swordsworn. Fuck youuuuuuuu. Totally took longer than anything else so far just figuring out what arms went with what.

kwi5OP9.jpg?1

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Damnit, I forgot how goddamn huge the Diamondback was.

The axe is bigger than most minis.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    The Shattered Sword minions have a lot more parts then I figured they would.

With how delayed the project and everything was, my expectations wasn't great. But looking through everything I've got, things turned out much better then I expected. The mini's look quite nice, looking forward to putting my Noh together and painting them up.

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Riqa wrote: »

With how delayed the project and everything was, my expectations wasn't great. But looking through everything I've got, things turned out much better then I expected. The mini's look quite nice, looking forward to putting my Noh together and painting them up.

So are there more guys than are visible on the webpage, or what?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Riqa wrote: »

So are there more guys than are visible on the webpage, or what?

Yeah the Relic Knight page is really sparse for something that's officially released tomorrow, I gather Soda Pop was getting their copies of miniatures along side Kickstarter backers from CoolMiniOrNot and couldn't push the date back even more. The release schedule lists with links everything coming out for Relic Knights over the next couple of months. The Soda Pop media page also has cards for everything backers got.

3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, there's also a bunch of releases that's in the hardcover book that weren't in the cards or rules or in the they've posted so far. (And they weren't in the KS.)

I want the Castellan so hard. (The Shattered Sword version of the Diamondback.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Well, that was a successful evening. Didn't actually get to play tonight at my FLGS, but got like four people interested and looking into picking up battle boxes.

Yay, opponents!

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Caved and bought a Doctrine starter. Really not a fan of some of those minis, but the Red Riding Hood and Wolf combo was too cool.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    If anyone is putting together corsairs, let me know how you did squall? who comes with iron chef, can't seem to figure out where arms should attach

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Finally got around to looking. The Shattered Sword box comes with a space owl?

E: Missed it in PMAVers' pic, apparently.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I've assembled most of the Kickstarter package. The main Relic Knight for this faction is easy to assemble, until you try to place the human on top of the giant cat. I have no idea how she is supposed be attached to her mount. I may have to assemble and paint them separately.

I got to play a second game last week. It went much smoother since my opponent familiarized himself with the rules.

This game can be much more chaotic than other mini games Ive played. The alternating activations has a lot to do with this. The army deployment works toward this feeling too. Not that this is a critique, just an observation.

You really need to be aware of your hand and know if the models coming up can use it for a decent activation.

Also Refocusing your hand is a big deal. You may need to do this with a unit or 2 in the beginning so you have enough esper to do anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Huh, I completely missed that Sophia Drake came out in the first retail wave and wasn't one of the add-ons from the KS. Neat. Grabbed her via a online store and have her on the way.

Been debating how I want to do the Black Diamond squad, and I think I'm actually going to paint them up red, khaki, gold, and black instead of the pure-black armor. Came to that conclusion when I was looking at the Diamondback and realized it could cosplay as something else...

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Well, that was a successful evening. Didn't actually get to play tonight at my FLGS, but got like four people interested and looking into picking up battle boxes.

Yay, opponents!

As a follow-up, this week my FLGS got their order in. They got around five of each battle box starter and stuff, and now after setting aside special orders and pre-orders they've got one left of each.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So how is this game so far? I'm thinking about getting into it sooner or later. Been looking at Corsairs, Black Diamond, and Doctrine. Mostly Corsairs and Black Diamond. Experiences with them so far? I'd love to get the Gabe figure if at all possible, but he's probably marked up to hell by now on ebay.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

I may have just got a Knight kill by having Magnus punt the enemy knight into Static's Electroshock AOE via his Electric Burst spell.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg