As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ancient [chat]s Video Games

19495969798100»

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    presto change-o

I have not heard that in ages!

It is delightful. :)

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote: »
    Oven-roasted veg is still one of my favourite things to make.

It's beyond simple and yet tastes so fucking delicious.

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

If, as an adult, you are unable to eat vegetables.

Then you need to grow up.

Assuming you don't have genuine hypersensitivities.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    only vegetable not comunism is potato

obF2Wuw.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hell, one fancy place I worked did an average of like 12 (really expensive) covers a night and we'd still have all the meals mostly prepped and just needing to be cooked.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    only vegetable not comunism is all of them

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Seeing as I was already a full week of vacation over my yearly carry over limit I finally had to put in some days to take off. Alas, I didn't have a single Friday I could take off.

Bless your heart.
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Everytime I look at a job listing that talks about cultural fit, I shudder.

Every interviewer you speak to is looking at you in part based on how you'd fit the group culture.

Of course they do. And hiring diversity follows as expected.

O.o
    Im pretty sure if you're reading it on a job req, they mean "corporate culture".

I'm pretty sure he knows that.

And I'm pretty sure his point is what that actually leads to is low-diversity hiring.

I'm mean pretty much the more subjective you make a hiring practice, the more biased it will be towards people like the interviewer.

Im pretty sure he doesn't. Corporate or organizational culture is a thing wholly distinct from diversity.

Not really.

In-person interviews tend to skew candidate selection in two ways:

Interviewers prefer people who fit the stereotype of the position they're hiring for, in terms of personality, mannerisms, and physical appearance.

Interviewers prefer people who are similar to them, in terms of personality, mannerisms, and physical appearance.

If all of the salespeople at your company are white and male and gregarious, and the person interviewing you is white and male and gregarious, you have an enormous advantage if you're a gregarious white male.

This is why, whenever possible (such as for technical jobs) you should screen candidates before the interview with an aptitude test.

But that's not just true in a job interview context is it? I mean, people group themselves throughout their entire lives based on wanting to surround themselves with people who they have things in common with.

I think it would be unreasonable to think that its a simple task to be able to set all that aside when choosing who you will be working with day in and day out. I agree that you're expected not to show unreasonable prejudice. But I think expecting someone to do otherwise at all is not really possible.

Bethryn wrote: »
    last time i moved in with an american she paid for everything it was the best

#keptmanbestman
    is jellygirl still working with mark jacobs?

yes

yes she is

she is technically lead concept artist now

obF2Wuw.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    This pretty much sums it up for me:
    The word ‘‘fit’’ in the absence of that support factor can easily be misinterpreted as ‘‘being like me,’’ instead of what the position requires. Many organizations make the mistake of assuming that those tasked with selecting new hires are equipped to do so fairly because they are nice people or good workers. But failure to ensure the selection process is based on standard criteria with trained interviewers can result in unintentional bias in the spirit of looking for someone who’s a perceived ‘‘good fit.’’
    I have a feeling the vast majority of companies are going to be doing a form of cultural fit that just ends up being "are they like me?"

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

Every interviewer you speak to is looking at you in part based on how you'd fit the group culture.

O.o
    Im pretty sure if you're reading it on a job req, they mean "corporate culture".

Deebs, I know what it means. But culture is hard to define, and even when you can so many parts of it can be bad and alienating, and no one will care because everyone who can fit in is already inside. It feels so carelessly, and unthinkingly parroted. Is a firm with road-warrior miles-travelled setting out to discriminate against any class of person by looking for hires who fit the culture? I don't think so, but they absolutely will. And no I don't feel that my beef is just against bad culture; I hate the idea of a corporate culture as this dogmatic thing for people to fit into.

And step down to smaller start-up type places, which is really all I know, and culture gets a whole lot fuzzier. There's a very uncomfortable feeling that people are asking for cultural fit, they have not defined the culture, and the whole interview becomes a touchy feely mess with no definable goals. But it is hiring, so why not add more stuff that people don't know anything about, since the whole thing is usually fucked anyways.

smCQ5WE.jpg

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

n

i have genuine swag od problems

obF2Wuw.png
    Vanguard wrote: »
    only vegetable not comunism is all of them

shut it u slaaaaaaag

obF2Wuw.png

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

n

wat?

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    :( My chat is at an end...

twas a good [chat]

maybe the best?

probably not the best

but it was good

it will be missed

hip hip

hip hip

hip hip

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I had no idea Prest-o Change-o was the name of a cartoon that marks the second appearance of a mischievous cartoon bunny who would eventually become bugs.

tlsl6d0ct67a.jpg

Looks creepy as fuk.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

O.o

I'm pretty sure he knows that.

And I'm pretty sure his point is what that actually leads to is low-diversity hiring.

I'm mean pretty much the more subjective you make a hiring practice, the more biased it will be towards people like the interviewer.

Im pretty sure he doesn't. Corporate or organizational culture is a thing wholly distinct from diversity.

Not really.

In-person interviews tend to skew candidate selection in two ways:

Interviewers prefer people who fit the stereotype of the position they're hiring for, in terms of personality, mannerisms, and physical appearance.

Interviewers prefer people who are similar to them, in terms of personality, mannerisms, and physical appearance.

If all of the salespeople at your company are white and male and gregarious, and the person interviewing you is white and male and gregarious, you have an enormous advantage if you're a gregarious white male.

This is why, whenever possible (such as for technical jobs) you should screen candidates before the interview with an aptitude test.

But that's not just true in a job interview context is it? I mean, people group themselves throughout their entire lives based on wanting to surround themselves with people who they have things in common with.

I think it would be unreasonable to think that its a simple task to be able to set all that aside when choosing who you will be working with day in and day out. I agree that you're expected not to show unreasonable prejudice. But I think expecting someone to do otherwise at all is not really possible.

I think the issue is that not pre-screening applicants based on skills makes it far more susceptible to selection bias. The difference between this and flat out prejudice is that instead of not hiring someone because they are X, you hire someone because they have some shared experience (being white, same school, same gender, same X, Y, X).

everything about hiring is terrible.

it's just really completely awful and the worst

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    "Corporate culture" is such a vague bullshit concept ...

It really isn't, you just seem to be not very familiar with it. There's actually a lot of theory used in communication, project management and human resources. Every organization has a culture. Even these forums. As an example, if I post "Dudes. So my goldfish died. Im pretty bummed", the poster that responds with "Hail Hydra?" fits in with the org culture here. The poster that responds "#firstworldproblems" is not, but that might be the appropriate response somewhere else.

hiring is basically what it was like trying to make friends in middle school

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

n

wat?

Daxon

the minaj only consumes cheezburg

This is known.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I mean, seriously. I would have had nightmares as a kid.

oy4lfahb8ro5.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

n

wat?

vegetables just dont carry the requisite levels of chainz to step to me, u dig?

obF2Wuw.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    only vegetable not comunism is potato
    baked beans? :(

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

n

wat?

Shhhhh, this way lies madness.

spool32 wrote: »

nooooooo

What, why not?

vegetable

n

wat?

Daxon

the minaj only consumes cheezburg

This is known.

ew

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Deebs, I know what it means. But culture is hard to define, and even when you can so many parts of it can be bad and alienating, and no one will care because everyone who can fit in is already inside. It feels so carelessly, and unthinkingly parroted. Is a firm with road-warrior miles-travelled setting out to discriminate against any class of person by looking for hires who fit the culture? I don't think so, but they absolutely will. And no I don't feel that my beef is just against bad culture; I hate the idea of a corporate culture as this dogmatic thing for people to fit into.

And step down to smaller start-up type places, which is really all I know, and culture gets a whole lot fuzzier. There's a very uncomfortable feeling that people are asking for cultural fit, they have not defined the culture, and the whole interview becomes a touchy feely mess with no definable goals. But it is hiring, so why not add more stuff that people don't know anything about, since the whole thing is usually fucked anyways.

this is an interesting conversation

on the flip side tho, if you aren't the kind of person who is okay with or enjoys traveling 50% of the time you're going to be miserable or quit in the road-warrior setting right?

and from a business perspective, that's an enormous cost in training you lost, plus recruiting and hiring and training your replacement, plus the lost productivity while looking to fill your position

and you're likely to negatively impact your teammates during the period that you're miserable but before you quit

no?

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 3.4

@Ludious will create the new thread
    @syndalis is backup

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Discussion took 1 day, 21 hours, 58 mins, 6 secs to recycle.
    There was 1 winner, earning about 3286% more points than they wagered.

Winner
    @Neco, who bet 40 hours with 50 points and received 1862 (10% early bet bonus)
    Runner-up
    @knitdan, who bet 37 hours 37 minutes with 370 points and recovered 351

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    500986194_8uc5X-L-2.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.