As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Our Final Boss is not the biggest bad

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Worlds approaches on the horizon, and in the distance, barely audible, a voice can be heard.

Got me an ace machine.

liEt3nH.png
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Worlds approaches on the horizon, and in the distance, barely audible, a voice can be heard.

Got me an ace machine.

It's up to snuff.

edit.
    bestest build triforce->sorcs->brut->gb . bc if some gooses stack crazy armor.

Joe K on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    In agreement, someone nods their head in affirmation.

Let's do this.

liEt3nH.png
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    In agreement, someone nods their head in affirmation.

Let's do this.

Balance in all things.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    triforce should build into ghostriforce

just combine triforce and 3 ghostblades

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    you should be able to buy 6 ghost blades on ashe and you evolve into lucian

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    6 runaans and saltyteemo instantly spectates your game

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Enchanted Culling Arrow is one of the improvements to urf mode.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Goooood damnit. Bad teammate venting contained within.
    The curse of terrible teammates showing up the moment I get in a promotion series continues.

Game 1 of promotion series. I'm running support as Taric. ADC picks last, and sees Blitzcrank and Lucian on the other team. He was waffling between Tristana, Caitlyn, or Vayne.

"I am going to pick Vayne"

My skin begins to crawl.

"No please do not do that, you are going to get grabbed by Blitz and completely wrecked by Lucian. Do not do it"

"Hah wow yeah I'm totally picking Vayne now, watch me wreck their faces."

Proceeds to eat every Blitzcrank grab in the first five minutes, dying many, many times. Then begins to intentionally feed because "Blitzcrank is broken right now he never once legit grabbed me"

LOSS THE FIRST.

Game 2 of promotion series. I see a Ryze on our team, and Anivia and Riven on theirs.

"Aha" I think. "I will counterpick their Riven and shut her down early, while Ryze will go midlane"

hahahahnope, Ryze refuses to go midlane, forcing me to fight Anivia as Garen. Proceeds to die three times against Riven, setting off her snowball. I am blamed for this, he AFKs for a bit, bitches about how I can't hold mid tower by myself against three champions, then just starts being toxic as hell, starting some massive team infighting in the process.

LOSS THE SECOND.

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Goooood damnit. Bad teammate venting contained within.
    The curse of terrible teammates showing up the moment I get in a promotion series continues.

Game 1 of promotion series. I'm running support as Taric. ADC picks last, and sees Blitzcrank and Lucian on the other team. He was waffling between Tristana, Caitlyn, or Vayne.

"I am going to pick Vayne"

My skin begins to crawl.

"No please do not do that, you are going to get grabbed by Blitz and completely wrecked by Lucian. Do not do it"

"Hah wow yeah I'm totally picking Vayne now, watch me wreck their faces."

Proceeds to eat every Blitzcrank grab in the first five minutes, dying many, many times. Then begins to intentionally feed because "Blitzcrank is broken right now he never once legit grabbed me"

LOSS THE FIRST.

Game 2 of promotion series. I see a Ryze on our team, and Anivia and Riven on theirs.

"Aha" I think. "I will counterpick their Riven and shut her down early, while Ryze will go midlane"

hahahahnope, Ryze refuses to go midlane, forcing me to fight Anivia as Garen. Proceeds to die three times against Riven, setting off her snowball. I am blamed for this, he AFKs for a bit, bitches about how I can't hold mid tower by myself against three champions, then just starts being toxic as hell, starting some massive team infighting in the process.

LOSS THE SECOND.
    In fairness there is basically nothing Ryze can do to anivia.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • RayinerRayiner Registered User regular
    So I've just started playing this game few days ago, any useful links?

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Rayiner wrote: »

Congratulations, this game is wicked difficult and has zounds of rules/numbers. Your best bet is watching good players play, I've been out of the loop for more than a year though (recently started playing again) so I don't really have any good recent plays to link. Learning laning by reading is difficult, watching players is easier.

Try to remember the point isn't to win, it's to get better for each game. So just focus on the good/bad plays and don't get hung up on losing or meeting assholes on the internet. Have fun!

Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Congratulations, this game is wicked difficult and has zounds of rules/numbers. Your best bet is watching good players play, I've been out of the loop for more than a year though (recently started playing again) so I don't really have any good recent plays to link. Learning laning by reading is difficult, watching players is easier.

Try to remember the point isn't to win, it's to get better for each game. So just focus on the good/bad plays and don't get hung up on losing or meeting assholes on the internet. Have fun!

I think I got some of these basics just by playing around ~300 games of Dota 2 before switching to League of Legends. I'm still confused by Runes, but I'm not going to push that since I'm not even level 30.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, you can pretty easily ignore runes/masteries/the jungle until level 20 with little loss.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

I think I got some of these basics just by playing around ~300 games of Dota 2 before switching to League of Legends. I'm still confused by Runes, but I'm not going to push that since I'm not even level 30.
    Buy level 1 runes, skip level 2, save up IP if possible to acquire level 3 runes when you hit Level 20.

Runes are used generally to give you more early game power and/or to tilt your character's build or growth a certain way. There are some runes that are better as scaling (which are +stat/level runes instead of just +stat) but most are better as flat stat increases due to the importance of early game.

If you need advice on what runepages to setup for a given character, just ask.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

@Rayiner With 300 games of Dota under your belt you're going to have a pretty big starting advantage (especially since LoL is objectively a simpler game than Dota), but there are some key differences to watch out for.
    • Abilities are spammier and less punishing to use. Some characters don't even have mana or resources of any form, meaning that the only limiter on their abilities is the cooldown.
    • Abilities can increase in power based upon the items that you buy. Attack Damage is the only stat which increases your auto-attack's strength, except in rare circumstances; confusingly, some skills will also increase in strength based upon your AD. Ability Power is a separate stat which can increase the damage or power of a skill. Each individual character has different ratios attached to each of their four abilities.
    • There are fewer active items. Most champions who aren't a support (a "5" for farm priority in Dota) will rarely buy them.
    • In addition to the QWER skills, you have access to two "summoner spells"; bonus abilities that everyone has access to. Once you unlock it, Flash (Blink Dagger on a 5 minute cooldown) is pretty much necessary as almost the entire game is balanced around you having it. Other solid options include Ignite (an extra damage skill), Exhaust (reduces enemy damage for a short duration), Heal (heals you and a target ally) and Barrier (shields some damage to you for a brief time).
    • The general team strategy is much more rigid than Dota. One in the top lane, one in mid, two in the bottom lane, and a jungler who roams the map describes 99% of games that you'll play.
    • Characters in general will also be built much more rigidly than their equivalents in Dota. There aren't that many good item paths, and depending on what type of champion you're playing you'll probably pick from two or three possibilities each game. A Caitlyn is always going to focus on building Attack Damage, Attack Speed and Critical Strike. A Mundo is always going to be focusing on building Health, Armor and Magic Resistance.
    • As you'll probably already have noticed, most of the hero roster is locked to you. There are ten free champions to use each week; you have to buy the rest either with in-game currency earned by playing games or real world money. This can take a while - I've been playing for three years and still have only half the roster.
    • No denying. CSing in general is much easier.
    • No turn speed. This makes ranged champions have a natural advantage over melee characters, but to counteract that melee champions generally have better stats and are more likely to have gap closing abilities of some form.
    • No courier and no buying items from lane. If you want to pick something up, you have to go back to base. Luckily everyone has another free ability which lets them recall to base.
    • No secret shops. If you want to buy it, your base has it.
    • No gold loss on death. No buybacks, either. If you die you have to wait for your full respawn timer to finish.
    • No runes on the map.
    • No terrain destruction. You can't destroy trees. This means no Tango equivalent, either.
    • You can't use potions on other players. The only way to heal an ally is if your chosen champion has an ability that heals or you buy an item with an active that heals (Mikael's Crucible).
    • No Z-axis on the map. Notably, this can cause some animations to look like they should miss but don't (an example that pops up frequently being characters flying over Caitlyn's ground-based traps - they'll still get caught).
    • No Black King Bar equivalent. The closest thing is an ability that the character Morgana has called Black Shield. For some reason, Morgana has become a hotly contested pick.
    • Pink wards (which are the equivalent to Sentry Wards and can detect invisible units) are themselves visible and easily destroyed.
    • You get a free, seventh item called a "Trinket". These either provide a short duration ward, an area of stealth detection or vision of a targeted area and recharge automatically. You should use these as much you can, they're very useful.
    • The character designs are generally less complicated. There's no Invoker or Meepo equivalent here.
    • There are two main objective monsters on the map; dragon and Baron Nashor. Nashor is the Roshan expy, and grants a team-wide buff to the team that kills it. Dragon just gives gold to everyone on the team, but spawns earlier and is considerably easier to kill.
    • Runes and Masteries are both ways to improve the power of your champion outside of the game and enhance your specific playstyle. Masteries are free and unlock as you play more games; Runes cost "Influence Points" (the currency you get for playing games) to buy, but Rune Slots which you put them in only unlock as you play more games. A level 30 player thus has an actual, objective advantage over a level 10 player. Yes, this is bullshit.

Been a while since I played Dota 1 or 2 so apologies if anything in there is wrong or outdated, but those are the differences I could remember off the top of my head.

Burnage on
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only other note I'd give is that pink (sentry) wards give vision on their own as well, and sight wards aren't limited in purchase number. They are limited per champion that places them.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    Thank you very much, @Burnage. Really glad to see some feedback from active players.
    I've been playing some bot games, since (if I'm not mistaken), they're pretty much same (XP and IP wise) until level 10.
    @Spectrum‌ I'll try that! There're tons of people that don't recommend buying them until you're level 30.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    It's worth quite a bit, it keeps it on the hot page which is the default setting when browsing which increases the chances of thread activity.
    Thank you very much, @Burnage. Really glad to see some feedback from active players.
    I've been playing some bot games, since (if I'm not mistaken), they're pretty much same (XP and IP wise) until level 10.
    @Spectrum‌ I'll try that! There're tons of people that don't recommend buying them until you're level 30.

Level twenty, actually, is when you unlock tier three runes. Basically you should skip t1 and t2 runes, but feel free to start buying as soon as you unlock t3 and also know what you want from a rune page. They can get expensive

• LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    Might be smart to wait a bit with runes and get some champs you wanna play first and not hope that free week got something you will like every week.

Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Tier 1 runes are dirt cheap and give you a decent bit of strength, so feel free to play around with them as you level.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Man that Mecha Malphite skin looks like ass in game. The splash looks great.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    It's worth quite a bit, it keeps it on the hot page which is the default setting when browsing which increases the chances of thread activity.

Level twenty, actually, is when you unlock tier three runes. Basically you should skip t1 and t2 runes, but feel free to start buying as soon as you unlock t3 and also know what you want from a rune page. They can get expensive

It's fine to grab T1 since, as Cyrenic mentions, they're dirt cheap and give an okay boost, but it's probably easier to just ignore them. Tier 2 are definitely NOT worth it since they are very expensive and only marginal increases from T1. T3 runes start getting expensive, but they are significantly better than T1/2.

There's also the rune combiner that everyone forgets about and never uses. Use 5 runes to get a single (random) rune of the tier above. E.g. if you combine 5 T2 runes, you get a random T3. If you buy 25 T1 runes (ever), you can convert those into 5 T2 runes, and those T2 can be converted into a single T3. It's unreliable and random, but there is the chance that you get a high-cost T3 rune... you could also have bad luck an "lose" IP on it too, but otherwise, T1/2 runes go to waste anyway. Combining a page of T1 runes into a single rune isn't really worth it until you have other T3 runes already, though.

Runes are, hands down, the worst thing in this game. The core idea behind them is awful, the current tiered system is awful, and they're pretty blatantly just designed as an IP sink to encourage players to actually spend money.

My never-going-to-happen wish for them would be that they provided benefits and drawbacks, either to stats (which would be dull) or to abilities. Instead of just deciding to take +8.5 AD reds, wouldn't it be more interesting if I could choose to take +15 AD but also suffer - 100 health? Maybe I could enhance the speed of all my skillshot projectiles by 50%, but their width would decrease by 75%?

Make them genuine alternatives to being runeless or taking different runes, not just "what numbers are going to work best?"

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Runes are, hands down, the worst thing in this game. The core idea behind them is awful, the current tiered system is awful, and they're pretty blatantly just designed as an IP sink to encourage players to actually spend money.

My never-going-to-happen wish for them would be that they provided benefits and drawbacks, either to stats (which would be dull) or to abilities. Instead of just deciding to take +8.5 AD reds, wouldn't it be more interesting if I could choose to take +15 AD but also suffer - 100 health? Maybe I could enhance the speed of all my skillshot projectiles by 50%, but their width would decrease by 75%?

Make them genuine alternatives to being runeless or taking different runes, not just "what numbers are going to work best?"

I feel like people would quickly find out what combinations are broken.

steam_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I know I would definitely sit down and stare at a huge spreadsheet of them all with a glossy picture of Jayce, Ezreal, Riven, Ahri, and company next to me and wonder "how much bullshit can I get out of this?".

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah that sounds impossible to balance.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    What they probably need to do is just sit down again and think if they could, today, make them from scratch, what would masteries and runes be? Because you can't really think about one without the other and trying to change one alone is probably not really going to work.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The rune system made a lot more sense as an IP sink in a game that had 40 champions, than it does in a game that has 120 champions.

Yeah that sounds impossible to balance.

I'm not sure that that'd necessarily be the case. For the stat changes the numbers would just have to balance out so you can't game the system (e.g., taking +offensive -defensive reds and +def -off yellows should put you back where you started).

Ability changes would probably be more difficult to get right but they could either be minimally effective (so maybe more like +5% projectile speed in exchange for -5% projectile width) or character specific (which would require a massive rework of the rune page system as well, but since I'm in fantasy land anyway...). Hell, something along the lines of Team Fortress 2's weapon system could even be interesting; I give my Morgana a rune of Thief's Binding and suddenly her Q can snare two targets but has a reduced effectiveness on each. I give Fiora a rune of Burst of Ferocity and her E gives greatly reduced attack speed but some bonus armor penetration. Little things that slightly shake up how a character is played and aren't objectively better than other ways. Just different.

Emphasizing again that this is total fantasy land and not ever going to happen, but I feel like it would solve two problems that Riot currently have; a) runes suck, and b) with the massively decreased champion release schedule, players are running the risk of getting bored. Introducing new ways to play old champions (that they could even potentially charge money for!) would alleviate that concern.

edited July 2014
    What they probably need to do is just sit down again and think if they could, today, make them from scratch, what would masteries and runes be? Because you can't really think about one without the other and trying to change one alone is probably not really going to work.

If something like this were to happen, my guess is Riot would combine runes and masteries or greatly simplify runes (just one rune per color).

Edit: The thing that's really tying Riot's hands here, I think, is that they charged RP for Rune Pages. That would be an awful lot of RP to refund if they were to reverse that decision.

Cyrenic on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular

Runes replaced with the ability to color-swap outfits. Masteries replaced with hats. There, I fixed it.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Runes replaced with the ability to color-swap outfits. Masteries replaced with hats. There, I fixed it.

The level up incentive should be some of their oldest content mixed with stuff like ward skins, etc. Being locked out of runes and masteries until after the X number of games needed to reach 30 is just silly.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    hey guys, remember the great season 4 rune rework? :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I like how a big focus of the rune rework excessive free sustain in bot-lane, which was eventually replaced with excessive free sustain in bot-lane.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Season 4 has basically been the season of failed reworks.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

I like how a big focus of the rune rework excessive free sustain in bot-lane, which was eventually replaced with excessive free sustain in bot-lane.

There was no rune rework. There were and handful of tweaks which changed the optimal setup but that was it.

wbBv3fj.png
    I think the vision rework and support itemization rework were pretty successful. The biggest evidence of this is that people actually want to play/will call Support in ranked now. At least I see that a lot more now.

It took a while to get Thresh and Leona in a fairly balanced state (and now we have Braum), but right now I would argue supports are in a decent place.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Taric, Raka, and Sona are in bad places. Taric probably does all right in a solo lane. Raka was purposefully nerfed into oblivion, as was Sona.

Janna definitely has a place nowdays, but it's just niche.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
This discussion has been closed.