As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help me pick a game pad to use on my PC

PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
Hi dudes. I'm in the market for a new controller! My old Logitech gamepad is so old that new games aren't even supporting it! My budget is fairly open, since I'll probably use this gamepad for the next 6 years again. Only preference is I kind of like an Xbox controller style but I am open to everything.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Get an XBox controller! An off-the-shelf wired 360 controller is USB compatible, and all you'll have to do is download a driver for it and one for the attachable headset if you want it.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Or you can get the wireless PC bundle. The receiver is compatible with all wireless 360 controllers.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    You can also use an Xbx Fight Pad, if you prefer digital controls.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I use a 360 controller. costs maybe $30-40 and hooks right up no problem.

• PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Hrmm, OK thanks dudes

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The XBOX ONE works now as well, wired. I still have the 360, but they claim the One works the same.

MichaelLC wrote: »
    The XBOX ONE works now as well, wired. I still have the 360, but they claim the One works the same.

Is the xbox one controller somehow better than the 360?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    A few tweaks to the dpad and sticks that people seem to like, and the triggers/shoulder buttons are now more one piece instead of separated.

The 360 is a great controller, but if you see the One on sale just wanted to let you know it works too.

Thanks!

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have both the 360 and the One, the one is definitely an improvement, and you basically just download the driver and then plug in the controller. It's a really nice controller

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I know you prefer the 360 style controller, but Ps3's dualshock should work with a usb and a 3rd party driver like xpadder (it's a little bit troublesome to set up at first, but if you have a ps3 controller laying around, it'll save you the cash.)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    Thanks, I don't have an xbox or playstation laying around. I'll see if I can find a 1 at a good price

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I bought one of these Logitech controllers back in January at the suggestion of another forumer, and it's great. It's completely plug and play and works as a 360 controller, but it's laid out as a dualshock (the buttons are labelled the same as the 360's though, because that's the standard for PC controllers now). It's around $10-$20 cheaper than a 360 controller, although you may be able to find refurbished 360 controllers at an even better price.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I bought one of these Logitech controllers back in January at the suggestion of another forumer, and it's great. It's completely plug and play and works as a 360 controller, but it's laid out as a dualshock (the buttons are labelled the same as the 360's though, because that's the standard for PC controllers now). It's around $10-$20 cheaper than a 360 controller, although you may be able to find refurbished 360 controllers at an even better price.

Also switchable to directx input for legacy games. Available in wireless too, still cheaper iirc than the wireless 360 equivalent.

HadjiQuest wrote: »

Thanks, I have an even OOOOLLLDDDEEERRR version of that which some games don't seem to like it.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Just adding my vote for the Xbox controller route. If you get a 360 one, be sure to get a wired one instead of wireless. The XB1 controller is indeed an improvement, so if you can swing the extra cost it would be nicer to have. Plus, the XB1 controller would potentially be more future-proof and hold more of a resale value.

Normally I'd also recommend the Razer Onza since I've been using mine for PC gaming and like it better than the 360 controller, but mine just started bugging out on me so I guess I'm joining the naysayers who say it's unreliable crap.

I found a new XB1 controller for $40, seems like worth the investment! Thanks for your help dudes

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm of quite the opposite opinion, I think the 360 controller is better in every conceivable way (except the dpad) and the One controller was a huge step back, with a lot of "changes for change sake".

I would try them both, see which one you like more.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I would definitely try to get your hands on whatever controller you're thinking of trying to actually test them out. It's hard to quantify the "feel" you'll prefer.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    I'm pretty familiar with the 360 controller, so I think the XB1 controller will work pretty well for me