As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please synergize this report and turn it into the [job] thread tomorrow

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Sticks wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    Make an admin account on all your machines so you can always get in and navigate people's profiles.

That would be a very, very sensible thing to do, but for a variety of reasons it probably won't happen any time soon.

This is a little mind boggling. Anything company related SHOULD be password protected. They need to shell out a little money for a sysadmin.

Our network is heavily locked down and protected, all laptops have double encryption. The idea is we don't have passwords on the work stations in case someone is off sick and we need to retrieve something quickly. Basically the policy is that all work should be 'open' to the office.

yes, there are certainly better ways to do this. But frankly the laptops only got passwords when my boss accidentally left one of them in a taxi in china.

and hahahaha 'money' what is this 'money' you speak of.
    That's

That's weird.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If there is a female model of Robothespian and they don't use your voice for the singing parts, then a great injustice has been perpetrated.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Make an admin account on all your machines so you can always get in and navigate people's profiles.

That would be a very, very sensible thing to do, but for a variety of reasons it probably won't happen any time soon.

This is a little mind boggling. Anything company related SHOULD be password protected. They need to shell out a little money for a sysadmin.

Our network is heavily locked down and protected, all laptops have double encryption. The idea is we don't have passwords on the work station in case someone is off sick and we need to retrieve something quickly. Basically the policy is that all work should be 'open' to the office.

yes, there are certainly better ways to do this. But frankly the laptops only got passwords when my boss accidentally left one of them in a taxi in china.

Sounds a bit "penny wise and pound foolish" if you ask me. Sure, they found this girl this time but I would be willing to bet that in the future this would come and bite you in the ass.

Reminds me of a time when I was doing an internal audit. We were reviewing notes from a management team meeting and some of the notes were single word entries with no further description. I asked if they felt like they should have some sort of description in case they come back to these notes in a real audit a year down the road and nobody can remember what it meant. The response I got was along the lines of "oh yeah, but one of us would totally remember".

I got the last laugh though, I made sure I put that in with my list of findings. Take that!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2014
    If there is a female model of Robothespian and they don't use your voice for the singing parts, then a great injustice has been perpetrated.

Technically all models are supposed to be gender neutral, but the features on the RT3.6 are pretty masculine (mostly the nose). We're trying to move towards a more versatile facial structure.

Of course the spanish guy i was boinking doesn't think they should have noses at all, because he insists they're secondary sexual characteristics and it's as pointless as robots with breasts. It's a weird argument. He won't let it go.

edit: I'm still trying to duck out of having my face on our social robot. I can't think how wince-inducing it would be to have to hear myself singing all day at a show.

tynic on
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    My boss asked everyone to bring in a different salad for tomorrow. One guy is bringing in a chocolate salad, so I jokingly asked if I could bring in one made entirely out of meat. Meatball croutons, ham lettuce, beef berries and sausage tomato slices.

She okayed it.

Guess I have some cooking to do.

I can't see youtube videos on the forum while at work.
    but if it hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB_vHVFM_8

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Technically all models are supposed to be gender neutral, but the features on the RT3.6 are pretty masculine (mostly the nose). We're trying to move towards a more versatile facial structure.

Of course the spanish guy i was boinking doesn't think they should have noses at all, because he insists they're secondary sexual characteristics and it's as pointless as robots with breasts. It's a weird argument. He won't let it go.

edit: I'm still trying to duck out of having my face on our social robot. I can't think how wince-inducing it would be to have to hear myself singing all day at a show.

Obviously he's got a fetish for your nose.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not gonna rule that out.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Guys. I am work on my last day just posting pictures of cute animals onto the old social networking tool that no one can access anymore.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I guess not sexual but if your robot can't smell why does it need a nose?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

you want people to relate to/be less unnerved by your robot so you make it look like people, especially in the head area

noses are an important facial feature for looking normal

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

Terrible!

...hang on

• Options
    but lots of anime don't bother with schnozzes and I jerk off just fine to it

wait, uh, that is to say...

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    It is 1455 and I am only now realizing it is not Wednesday, but Thursday.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Company just extended their job offer to me.

$54K a year!

I accepted!

Now back to packing for cross country move!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    It is 1455 and I am only now realizing it is not Wednesday, but Thursday.

Nah bro, it's 2014

Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    @Calica‌ - Yes, jobs can suck. Starving sucks more though, as does disease and being eaten by wolves. The fact that most of us live in industrialized countries with very small risks of things like warlords, lack of basic health care and clean water mean we're living high on the hog. Jobs can suck, but it's not like it's "my yard is full of unexploded ordinance" suck.

Just because my problems are worse than your problems doesn't mean your problems aren't real. (Also, lack of access to basic health care is (still) a huge problem in this country, and lack of clean water is becoming a real problem for people in Detroit, and plenty of people work one or more jobs and still don't make a living.)

I know that my job is a good one, even by American standards - varied and challenging work, reasonable pay and benefits, awesome coworkers and management, nice environment. And I'm not claiming for a second that anyone owes me happiness. Still, I need medication just to function in the normal American work culture, and statistics prove I'm not alone; and that seems off.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    but lots of anime don't bother with schnozzes and I jerk off just fine to it

wait, uh, that is to say...

Yess...yess....let the darkness flow....

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    That's not darkness.

• Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    My old friend.

Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So we're about to pick schedules again in a few weeks

There's a pretty good chance I'll have Saturdays and Sundays off! Just like a normal person!

Regular office shifts is a longshot right now, but one step at a time!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Our network is heavily locked down and protected, all laptops have double encryption. The idea is we don't have passwords on the work stations in case someone is off sick and we need to retrieve something quickly. Basically the policy is that all work should be 'open' to the office.

That's

That's weird.
    Yeah, if you need all the work to be open, make sure everything is saved in departmental shares that can be accessed by anyone logged into the computer who would have a need for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Work today sucked pretty bad. Server updates last night borked DNS on about 30 servers. Most of them got fixed last night but a few slipped through and when people showed up this morning, between that and a bunch of possibly related citrix issues and issues with our externally hosted/adminstered EMR we were completely slammed with calls.
    When I left at 3 we still had about 20 voicemails in the inbox, most of which from before noon.

On the plus side, I was coming around a corner and see one of our system administrators making a photocopy of two hard drives.
    "You know that's not how you copy data right?"
    "How else am I supposed to get a good backup?"
    we both had a good laugh.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hopefully that was joking laughter and not "oh god this ISNT how you copy a drive?!?" laughter.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nah, he's one of our SAN admins. He knows his shit. My guess is he was grabbing scans of the serial numbers for an RMA or something.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

$54K a year!

I accepted!

@Nocren

Hooray! Congratulations! :D

b92b3f.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Having a bit of a crap time inspiring myself on this job search today!

Who has a job they would like to give me in Austin, eh? I'm so good at stuff.

Like, so good.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I know a dominatrix, you wanna see what she's got going on?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    That's not darkness.

It is if he's part of the Consult.

Please god I hope someone gets that reference...

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Well.

I'd need to know a little about the training process.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

$54K a year!

I accepted!

You were going to NC right? My parents/brother live there, the cost of living is preeeetttty cheap (they keep telling me to get me to leave CA anyway.)

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Well.

well, this was on her facebook a few days ago, should help out!
    E0Rdlb4.jpg

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

$54K a year!

I accepted!

You were going to NC right? My parents/brother live there, the cost of living is preeeetttty cheap (they keep telling me to get me to leave CA anyway.)

Yeah. Raleigh/Durham/RTP area.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah if I made 54K a year in Florida after a few years I could just buy a house in cash

• Options

Well.

E0Rdlb4.jpg

yeep o.o

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014

$54K a year!

I accepted!

Hah, that's where they are, that's pretty hilarious considering I'm also from sacramento, though not living there right this moment

TheStig on
  • Options

Well.

E0Rdlb4.jpg

A Softer World has gotten weird.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

$54K a year!

I accepted!

The triangle is a pretty alright place to live. My wife and I have considered living here long term.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'm a bit perplexed that she still seems to be using a typewriter.

• Options
    I'm annoyed by her willy-nilly use of periods both inside and outside quotation marks.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed by her willy-nilly use of periods both inside and outside quotation marks.

One of her clients is probably an editor. She makes him read cards like that as part of his punishment.

This discussion has been closed.