As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please synergize this report and turn it into the [job] thread tomorrow

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Funny, when I was in Japan, it wasn't oriented horizontally like that.

Admittedly, perhaps things have changed since then.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    So I've always felt HR people hate me for some reason, which is why my applications rarely get forwarded to management. Well in this job I got the other week I first had an interview with the emergency department manager (because my friend who works there recommended me) which went very well and she basically told me I was hired after I jumped through the corporate hoops. Anyway, one of those hoops is doing a second interview with someone from HR. The guy who interviewed me was like 23 and had no medical experience or any sort non-desk experience as far as I could tell. He confirmed my suspicions about HR people hating me because after the interview he went to the ED manager and said he didn't think I should work there. Per reports of my friend who was there, she told him to shut the fuck up and hire me.

I do not understand HR at all. Like why do they think they should be a part of the decision making process for hiring on people for jobs they have no clue about?

Make sure he gets a foley and a flexi-seal if you ever see him in the ED.

edit: and #@$* HR, def.

Oh yes, and should he ever need narcan you can bet I'm gonna slam it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The other side of the world is upside down, a quarter of the way around the world is sideways.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    @TheStig did you use the word "synergize" in every sentence? Cause HR people really love that.

Also with regards to people who know nothing about your job calling all the shots: Welcome to employment. It only gets worse from here on out

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you aren't using "synergize" in every sentence then you're missing out on sentence synergy!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Wasn't there a commercial in the 90's that went like that? With two kids basically doing martial arts over the last piece of something only for some other kid to swoop in and nab it as they duel in midair?
    90s you say? About half of them, you are going to have to be more specific.

http://youtu.be/260XXx7wgBE

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oops. Cell phone, derp.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    @TheStig did you use the word "synergize" in every sentence? Cause HR people really love that.

Also with regards to people who know nothing about your job calling all the shots: Welcome to employment. It only gets worse from here on out

I have this condition where if I speak corporate jargon I automatically spew projectile vomit everywhere. It's really tough for me and they just don't understand.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Guysguysguysguysguys

I accidentally found a Pokemon Store nestled within Tokyo Station.

(Maybe this picture has the correct orientation)

mp8hobn6d465.jpg

Also did my doctor's appointment and signed the paperwork at the office, so I'm just waiting for Monday to roll around to start training.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh emerl, you're so cute

the kawaii anime hasn't even taken you over completely yet

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    And in other news my wife and her coworkers were all called and asked to describe their work activities by some creeper.

I don't even

Headhunter?

No these questions pretty much always started to get sexual in nature. Her company is primarily composed of women and dude was blind calling managers.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    My thoughts on that tend to begin and end with "social engineering" hacker.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    so the work van that the other guy drives had to be inspected and it failed because a big ole dent on the side right behind where the door opens (something about how cars shouldnt be potentially pinching off somebody's hand or finger or whatever)

so i took it to a good body shop and in the four months he has worked here the other guy has cause $1500 worth of body damage to the van (the dent that failed inspection is 400 by itself) plus partially breaking off the driver side mirror which was 150 to repair

i am almost impressed by that level of carelessness and super happy all that damage is from columns and not other car but this job just isnt that fucking hard

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I work for a fortune 500 company. Today I got a work newsletter, one that is distributed nationally, that:
    - is a .jpg
    - contains long, complex links within the .jpg that are of course unclickable and uncopyable
    - is covered in artifacts

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    so the work van that the other guy drives had to be inspected and it failed because a big ole dent on the side right behind where the door opens (something about how cars shouldnt be potentially pinching off somebody's hand or finger or whatever)

so i took it to a good body shop and in the four months he has worked here the other guy has cause $1500 worth of body damage to the van (the dent that failed inspection is 400 by itself) plus partially breaking off the driver side mirror which was 150 to repair

i am almost impressed by that level of carelessness and super happy all that damage is from columns and not other car but this job just isnt that fucking hard

Dude. Bro. Dude.

You should see the way fleet drivers treat company vehicles that DON'T have to be road legal. Heavy trucks that work on private property, for instance. I've personally seen a Volvo FH16 that was worth a cool quarter of a million dollars be reduced to a rolling wreck in under 18 months.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I work for a fortune 500 company. Today I got a work newsletter, one that is distributed nationally, that:
    - is a .jpg
    - contains long, complex links within the .jpg that are of course unclickable and uncopyable

Taking a wild guess here:
    - is an unsourced image taken straight from Google images and maybe only slightly modified.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Passed Mr. Candythief in the hallway just now; his thumb was in one of those splint-thingies that keeps it stretched out and immobile.

He tried just looking dead ahead, but failed so I flashed two-thumbs-up and said, "Hey there, Happy Friday!!!"

I am *such* a bastard.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    - is a .jpg

- is an unsourced image taken straight from Google images and maybe only slightly modified.

I had a client that used to do this. The weird, misguided thought process somehow arrived at the notion that "it makes it harder to cut and paste content out of the newsletter" thereby helping to "keep people from stealing our precious newsletter content." This was also a pretty big company. Doesn't make it any less weird (it took me six months to talk them out of password protecting every. single. PDF they produced).

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Friday before Labor Day.

Email Box: Empty.
    Voicemail Box: Empty.
    Phones: Deadish.

6.5 hours left. Ugh.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Passed Mr. Candythief in the hallway just now; his thumb was in one of those splint-thingies that keeps it stretched out and immobile.

He tried just looking dead ahead, but failed so I flashed two-thumbs-up and said, "Hey there, Happy Friday!!!"

I am *such* a bastard.

Holy shit this is making me laugh way to hard. I am sitting in my office with tears in my eyes because I am laughing so hard.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Deedubs made my Friday.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god the internet is back up at work and I can stop phone posting

Dude. Bro. Dude.

You should see the way fleet drivers treat company vehicles that DON'T have to be road legal. Heavy trucks that work on private property, for instance. I've personally seen a Volvo FH16 that was worth a cool quarter of a million dollars be reduced to a rolling wreck in under 18 months.

I weep for that truck

I mean I've been doing this job on and off for 5 years (side note: please kill me) and I have scraped one van against a dumpster one time because I drive it like I give a shit about wrecking it the same way I would my own car

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    - is a .jpg

Not quite that bad! The email is actually formatted well, and branded with a company header.

In fact, I just looked at the source code, it's actually multple badly artifacted .jpgs in a table, so they easily could have made the links clickable.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So remember how I said the electronic system was going live here after a minimum of training? Also know how I keep saying a lot of the teachers here are kind of incompetent?

Honestly this transition is pretty much going exactly as I expected it to.

• Options
    Oh thank god the internet is back up at work and I can stop phone posting

Dude. Bro. Dude.

I weep for that truck

I mean I've been doing this job on and off for 5 years (side note: please kill me) and I have scraped one van against a dumpster one time because I drive it like I give a shit about wrecking it the same way I would my own car

One advantage of working in a sheet metal shop was that we'd fix all of our bodywork in house. We knocked out dents, filled and sanded, repainted as necessary. We put together a fiberglass hood before it got exnayed. We weren't supposed to be doing our own repairs on ground vehicles and the fiberglass hood with a custom air scoop was considered "too obvious".

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Oh man. When I worked at a wastewater treatment plant, they actually cared about the trucks. One got a scratch once, and they got super annoyed and stopped letting people use it certain places. Carrying ten 1-5 gallon containers down a 5 story building using the outside fire escape stairs was not fun.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    So, a very nice person who shall remain anonymous pm'd me to offer a word of advice about getting with HR about the thumb thing; just wanted everyone to know all that was handled by end of business yesterday, I'm in the clear.

Thank you for taking the time, it's very much appreciated!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I almost forgot today was payday! Almost makes up for end of month stuff falling on a Friday.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I almost forgot today was payday! Almost makes up for end of month stuff falling on a Friday.
    Ugh. My payday is on the 10th of the month. Why would you do that, payroll? Why?

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    It is 65 degrees in my office and I am not okay with this.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

I am *such* a bastard.

Darth, can I hire you? I don't need you to actually do anything, just be Cool Office Dude. $50k starting.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    It's funny how a slightly chilly office bothers me more than being an outdoors, night shift security guard in the middle of winter did. It's probably because I'm sitting on my ass all day.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I came real close to just walking out of work and quitting today.

So much bullshit. Would not have been great, since I don't have another job lined up right away

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Ugh. My payday is on the 10th of the month. Why would you do that, payroll? Why?

Mine is the 15th of the month, so half-way through. However I don't get my first paycheck till September 15th since I am only now finishing my first full month.

The 15th can not come soon enough.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    September is our month for yearly reviews, and I'm in a position for the next few months where I can take or leave this job. I could actually get as much if I left this job from taking more classes and thereby getting a higher GI bill payment. I look forward to being able to aggressively negotiate a pay raise for once.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Geth! When I finish my degree my programs will have room reserved for our inevitable AI overlords.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    I came real close to just walking out of work and quitting today.

So much bullshit. Would not have been great, since I don't have another job lined up right away

The single reason I never walked out on my prior job was the fact I had a family.

It sucked.

Oh guess what we get to leave early! Except we have to stay until this certain person who takes 4 times as long as necessary is done with her work. So really we will probably still be here at 5.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    ARe monthly paychecks normal?

We get ours every second thursday

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    ARe monthly paychecks normal?

We get ours every second thursday

Monthly sounds stressful as hell

Even bi-weekly is kind of rough. Weekly is where it's at.

Though one of the best parts of being a bartender? Cash money, in your hand, no wait time

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I got a monthly paycheck at my last job. It was fine, but bi-weekly is better because my wife and I get paid on the same day now.

This discussion has been closed.