As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please synergize this report and turn it into the [job] thread tomorrow

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    If your company would prefer it that way then it's not your problem. Unless they don't let you call her bullshit and punish you for letting her do it, in which case they are assholes.

No, they don't punish me. It just bothers me that she abuses the policy to get free things all the time. It's one thing to buy something and bring it back because it is spoiled, or made you gag at the taste. But to eat nearly the entire bag in the store and say you don't like it anymore and not pay for it seems incredibly dishonest to me.

Yeah that's just called theft here.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Alrighty so how does someone do market research? One thing Ive always thought would be cool would be to open a store that sold stuff like cigars, pipes and tobacco, safety razors, how to books on things like fitness, how to work on a car, etc. maybe rent rooms where people can play poker or watch the game and be able to smoke cigars and drink and such. A "distinguished Gentleman" kind of store. Pretty much the art of manliness made retail.

I don't even know how to go about seeing if there is enough interest around here to support such a venture.

I do know I would need a web store presence too, that would help make money.
    So a couple of things you can do (cheap and/or free). First would be to get an assessment of retail in general in your target area - your local government should have some flavor of Business Development Bureau who should publish some sets of statistics. Your goal should be to try and find out how much support specialty retailers get, so depending on what info they collect it may be really helpful (number of businesses combined with estimated turnover should give average turnover), or be useless. At a pinch, spend a day wandering around a shopping area similar to your target and count the number of franchise vs. boutique stores, and get an idea of the number of people visiting each. If you can get an idea of how many of those stores last longer than 2 years, even better. This is your general "Retailer Survivability" - if all the stores in your target area are franchise, and almost none of the new boutique stores last longer than a year you might be in trouble.

Second, for a specialty retailer you're probably going to want to target a pre-existing group rather than building from scratch. For a "distinguished Gentleman" store, go have a chat with places like Golf Clubs, microbreweries, sports clubs, car owners clubs, local college student unions, Young Business Leaders groups etc. It depends how "manly" vs "gentlemanly" you're aiming. See what their membership size is, how frequently they meet, and (hopefully) get some idea of how much disposable cash they're willing to throw at their manliness. Again, if club size is a mere handful and they meet a couple of times a year, you might be looking at an uphill battle to build your customer base.

Last, you're going to want to do a rough guesstimate of how much business you're going to need to break even. You can probably look at some realtor websites to get an idea of lease costs, do an estimate of how much you're going to pay any staff, and then look at the margins you might want to put on your items (I'm assuming you've already got some wholesale sources for the items). These days you're competing with Amazon etc. for generic goods, so you're going to want to differentiate through either associated hobbies or branded imaging - for example, if you have a strong classic car group in your area, books specific to the types of cars owned would be better than general "how to work on a car" books. For Brand Imaging, The Chive's "Keep Calm and Chive On" is a good example of branding for a "manly"(ish) target market.

Depending on your margins, this should give you an estimate of how many items you need to move per month/week/day to break even. Compare that to your foot-traffic, pre-existing group, and (hopefully) average turnover notes from the previous exercises, and you should get a ballpark idea whether it can support the venture. Note that this is "ballpark" - your execution is what's going to determine whether you knock it out of the park or fold after 2 months, but doing this background will get you a lot further in terms of setting your store up for growth than "a couple of my friends said it would be a good idea".

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Today's Librarian Thought:

I need to find a place to get a ton of really cheap bookmarks. The American Library Association sells some but at $9 for 100 which goes fast.

Get different colored card stock and cut it into strips with the hinged paper cutter?

@timspork's ghost‌ What grades again? They're probably too old to have fun with a "make your own bookmark" type thing where you have different stamps or stickers and a hole punch with ribbon? What am I saying; you never get too old for that. I wanna make my own bookmark now. :cry:

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Math-wise at Staples you can get a pack of 250 8.5x11 card stock for 15 bucks.

You can cut those into 4.25x2.2 bookmarks, which would net you 2500 bookmarks and give your library aides something better to do than clean transparency rolls WITH GLOVES THAT HAVE HOLES IN THEM SO YOU END UP WITH WET ERASE INK STAINING YOUR HANDS FOR DAYS!!!

Which I'm totally not bitter about.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Also, how closely do you work with the younger schools in the district? You could make it a whole thing where as an activity the younger classes (thinking elementary) could decorate the bookmarks (with markers so the wax doesn't rub onto the pages) which gives them something to do, and then you use those bookmarks at your school which gives you fun and unique bookmarks for each kid.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Also, how closely do you work with the younger schools in the district? You could make it a whole thing where as an activity the younger classes (thinking elementary) could decorate the bookmarks (with markers so the wax doesn't rub onto the pages) which gives them something to do, and then you use those bookmarks at your school which gives you fun and unique bookmarks for each kid.

Actually with this they could turn them in and they could be laminated, then given back when they're finished. Allthough, keeping multiple bookmarks together in a laminate pouch sounds like a pain in the ass.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    And if they personalize them and make it feel like they own it, they might be more responsible with the bookmark as well, which means you don't have to keep buying more cheap bookmarks because the kids just trash them or don't give a crap about them.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Note: playing deathmetal at full blast in my car is a good way to set off every car alarm in the garage. Must try again.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Actually with this they could turn them in and they could be laminated, then given back when they're finished. Allthough, keeping multiple bookmarks together in a laminate pouch sounds like a pain in the ass.

My wife is a teacher. She bought a bunch of new file folder games for the new year and decided to laminate them. The process has been as follows:

Sit on floor for hours cutting out tons of stupid little boxes.
    Try to get stupid little boxes to stay separated while inside goddamned laminate pouch.
    Insert laminate pouch into machine.
    All hell breaks loose in pouch. Apparently file folder game pieces are secretly magnetic and like to cluster together.
    Cut off the laminate.
    Try again
    Pouch goes in crooked, wrinkling the laminate and stupid little boxes.
    Cut off the laminate.
    Try again
    Success!

Every year we have to do this for something - calendar days, folder games, etc, and every year I try to convince her she needs a different job or an intern.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    If your company would prefer it that way then it's not your problem. Unless they don't let you call her bullshit and punish you for letting her do it, in which case they are assholes.

No, they don't punish me. It just bothers me that she abuses the policy to get free things all the time. It's one thing to buy something and bring it back because it is spoiled, or made you gag at the taste. But to eat nearly the entire bag in the store and say you don't like it anymore and not pay for it seems incredibly dishonest to me.

Sounds like you work at Sam's Club.

The Sam's a few of my family members work at they do things like that all the time. Buy 2 bundles of bananas and return with two and claim they were bad for a full refund. One time a person returned with the two end pieces of a watermelon and got a full refund.

The thing that made the workers the most upset in recent times, a guy bought 110 boxes of cereal (2 bags per box). His reasoning was going to ship over to Africa to help the people over there, he claimed he was not allowed to send the food over seas so returned all of them for a full refund. With it being food only thing the store could do was throw in dumpster and compact them for health/safety reasons.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    So time for a question...

Last week I received a phone call one day after applying for a job; talked to the person on the phone, which was an odd conversation. The person knew my name but got my information on my resume mixed up with someone else's had to put me on hold to find mine and read over it. In the end scheduled had scheduled an interview for Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning I get to the place 2 minutes early (left later than wanted to), met the manager and sat down and talked to him. During the interview was interrupted twice by other workers there and once by sales representatives who also had a 9am meeting. The hiring manager & person I talked to on the phone called off that day for "house issues". I thought the interview went well, the manager asked if I would be interested in coming back to meet with the other person and said yes. He told me he would contact me within a day or two to schedule a second interview.

I didn't hear anything Thursday or Friday, holiday on Monday. Should I try to call them back today as a follow up? Or should I wait until tomorrow? Also I am not 100% sure what to say on the phone, don't want to just say "you said would contact me and didn't so trying to figure out what’s going on."

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    MBAs - I've got one!

There's a couple of reasons you'd get one:

a) You can get one fully-funded (either by scholarship or by your company sponsoring you)
    smiley face) You're looking to get a job in an industry where it's viewed as a virtual requirement (usually Tier 1 consulting or investment banking)
    c) You're looking to transition industries, and don't want to go "up the ranks" again
    d) You want to jump from a technical position to a "corporate office" position (the notorious "pencil pusher" MBA)

You DO learn some super interesting stuff, but a LOT of it you wont use on a day-to-day basis - for the better programs, it's a lot more about networking, learning how to "sell" ideas (good programs WILL dock your grades if you can't get your concepts across in an "Elevator Pitch" during exams and reports), and coping with highly ambitious coworkers in your groupwork.

If you're more interested in a career within a particular technical field, then a specialized degree is better (even for investment banking, a CFA is MUCH cheaper and less time-intensive). An MBA is much more about how you can resolve an issue with multiple facets - both technical, system, and people-based - to develop an organization (and trust me, the biggest problems in most organizations are people-based). People who come out the far end looking to implement reports to maximize productivity have usually missed crucial social aspects of actually dealing with other people.

I do know plenty of people who did an MBA outside of the Main Reasons (tm) - they were usually looking to get something specific out of it. For example, a bunch of people looking to set up their own business and wanted a combination of expanding their skills from technical to also cover HR/Operations/Finance, plus networking opportunities to grow their new venture.

In terms of school evaluation, my suggestion would be to look at the companies who hired graduates recently - most schools will track that kind of thing through their career and alumni office. If everyone seems to go to different companies, my instinct would be that the school probably isn't that strong - people are getting their post-MBA jobs on the strength of the pre-MBA jobs. If some companies are hiring "in bulk" (at least 3), then that suggests the school is giving their graduates tools which companies find specifically useful... and then depending on what field those "Bulk Hire" companies are in can give you an idea if it matches your career aspirations.

I'd also recommend this letter if you are not the greatest scholar and may not be on the Dean's List.

@Archangle‌
    your insight is appreciated thx

poo
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Alrighty so how does someone do market research? One thing Ive always thought would be cool would be to open a store that sold stuff like cigars, pipes and tobacco, safety razors, how to books on things like fitness, how to work on a car, etc. maybe rent rooms where people can play poker or watch the game and be able to smoke cigars and drink and such. A "distinguished Gentleman" kind of store. Pretty much the art of manliness made retail.

I don't even know how to go about seeing if there is enough interest around here to support such a venture.

I do know I would need a web store presence too, that would help make money.

The word you are looking for is Haberdashery. There is one here in St. Paul that is like what you are talking about.

http://www.heimies.com/

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    hm

so

anyone here have MBA

i feel like so many people i know are starting MBAs this year

it's not something i'd really considered before for... no reason whatsoever, but now i am like, well, maybe i should think about it

Everyone I know with an MBA basically had a job they liked, or at least found interesting and compensated well, and then got it into their heads that they would rather write emails and organize meetings as a manager, because they want that skrilla.

Not saying everyone ever does this. But it is really common.

MBAs are really a dime a dozen and often don't give you anything useful. It'd be better to get a specialized degree that's relevant to your field or position.

Yeah they're a dime a dozen, which is why not having one can really screw up your advancement path.

My brother works in investment banking, and has his CFA, and has been told repeatedly that without an MBA, people don't have a chance to get promoted, because so many people who are CFA's also do have MBA's so why would they pick someone without one?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Today, I got to get my ass kicked by a seven year old in Jenga twice and I was equipped with a small water pistol when the kids had their outdoor playtime at the park right next to the school. Then we made paper airplanes.

I swear this is a job.

Tomorrow the staff are actually going to have myself and the other two trainees teach a bit, with us planning out a schedule and teaching it the entirety of Friday.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Having federal holidays off is awesome but damn does it suck coming down from a three-day weekend.

Get your rear in gear body, we've got work to do today.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Having federal holidays off is awesome but damn does it suck coming down from a three-day weekend.

Get your rear in gear body, we've got work to do today.

My sympathy overwhelms the sun.

Sincerely,

-Person who worked 10 hours yesterday.
    <3

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Kick_04 wrote: »

Last week I received a phone call one day after applying for a job; talked to the person on the phone, which was an odd conversation. The person knew my name but got my information on my resume mixed up with someone else's had to put me on hold to find mine and read over it. In the end scheduled had scheduled an interview for Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning I get to the place 2 minutes early (left later than wanted to), met the manager and sat down and talked to him. During the interview was interrupted twice by other workers there and once by sales representatives who also had a 9am meeting. The hiring manager & person I talked to on the phone called off that day for "house issues". I thought the interview went well, the manager asked if I would be interested in coming back to meet with the other person and said yes. He told me he would contact me within a day or two to schedule a second interview.

I didn't hear anything Thursday or Friday, holiday on Monday. Should I try to call them back today as a follow up? Or should I wait until tomorrow? Also I am not 100% sure what to say on the phone, don't want to just say "you said would contact me and didn't so trying to figure out what’s going on."

Well dress it up politely but yeah, say that you had an interview with them on X day and they said they'd call you back on day Y and that day has passed and you were just curious about it.

I had this happen recently and it turned out the job I'd applied for they weren't doing follow-ups yet because of a delay in some kind of paperwork.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Ah, internal IT wars. By removing local admin rights from the entire dev/programming team, you were trying to accomplish what, exactly?

I'm ruling out "making friends" and "avoiding a crapton of angry meetings" because those particular horses have seemingly left the barn.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Re: Bookmarks

Basically I just need a ton of bookmarks for students to take when they check out books. I'm almost out. We can cut some blank ones but those are boring.

In other news I am going to murder this iPod cart. I CAN NOT get them prepared using Apple Configurator. Somehow this whole cart was wiped and I need to push the basic school settings so that I can supervise the apps on them like the other seven iPod carts. Every iPod on this cart refuses to get through and gives me a Download Activation Record Failed.

I can find zero help on line.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I managed to completely alienate a dude in the office who was trying to have shitty opinions about the stolen celebrity nudes at me. I feel 100% good about that.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

My wife is a teacher. She bought a bunch of new file folder games for the new year and decided to laminate them. The process has been as follows:

Try to get stupid little boxes to stay separated while inside goddamned laminate pouch.
    Insert laminate pouch into machine.
    All hell breaks loose in pouch. Apparently file folder game pieces are secretly magnetic and like to cluster together.
    Cut off the laminate.
    Try again
    Pouch goes in crooked, wrinkling the laminate and stupid little boxes.
    Cut off the laminate.
    Try again
    Success!

Every year we have to do this for something - calendar days, folder games, etc, and every year I try to convince her she needs a different job or an intern.

technically i'm an intern? or graduate assistant. oh wait we don't have GA's in my department. student worker! but i've been trying to teach the other interns the office work stuff so they can handle it when i'm not around. or if i don't feel like doing anything. i am king of the interns! i have no real power.

i'm positive i work more hours than any administrators...

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options

Basically I just need a ton of bookmarks for students to take when they check out books. I'm almost out. We can cut some blank ones but those are boring.

In other news I am going to murder this iPod cart. I CAN NOT get them prepared using Apple Configurator. Somehow this whole cart was wiped and I need to push the basic school settings so that I can supervise the apps on them like the other seven iPod carts. Every iPod on this cart refuses to get through and gives me a Download Activation Record Failed.

So, I know this may be a leap (I hope not much of one), but we have an amazing artist community on here. Maybe there's a way you can reach out to the artists here to design a few bookmarks on a Copyleft or Creative Commons basis (So they keep the rights to their works, but allow the usage for educational purposes for free). If you have a template you might be able to get some interest on the Help/Advice or Artist forums.

• Options
    No day is half as long as the one when you forget your headphones at home.

• Options
    Things that are bullshit: the new bubble wrap that uses interconnected bubbles so you can't sit there and pop then

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Kick_04 wrote: »

Well dress it up politely but yeah, say that you had an interview with them on X day and they said they'd call you back on day Y and that day has passed and you were just curious about it.

I had this happen recently and it turned out the job I'd applied for they weren't doing follow-ups yet because of a delay in some kind of paperwork.

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow morning.

The company is pretty small, the interview was suppose to be with the founder/president of the company and I only have his contact information.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    On one hand, crime is bad. On the other, I'm super bored.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I managed to completely alienate a dude in the office who was trying to have shitty opinions about the stolen celebrity nudes at me. I feel 100% good about that.

shitty opinions?

Now I'm curious. What opinions are there other than "That's awful." and "That's awful, hold on while I check them out."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

shitty opinions?

Now I'm curious. What opinions are there other than "That's awful." and "That's awful, hold on while I check them out."
    Ones I've heard

"it was their fault for having it there" (false: there's a fault in iCloud allowing the breaches)

"They shouldn't have those pictures anyways" (false: they have the right to privacy, and can do what they want within means)

"They're doing this themselves so they can get publicity"
    ( Doubtful: I would not go to 4Chan to leak pics unless I was mentally impaired by many drugs and somehow thought that reddit was going to kill me if I clicked it.)

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I don't know why we allow customers to connect to our database using Excel. It has been a nonstop day of stupidity trying to support this guy. He keeps telling us that one of his developers wrote this code. I really want to meet this developer because I suspect the customer has mistaken his cat for a developer. And when we keep telling the customer that there is no way that his code has ever worked he insists that it works for the "developer".

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

shitty opinions?

Well, I was just debating with a girl on FB (a good friend of mine!) because she thinks that the women should accept the "consequences" of taking those pictures and this is something public figures have to deal with and "the FBI has more important things to do" than investigate it

we clearly weren't convincing each other, and more people were siding with her, so I said my piece and let it be

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Thank you, Geth, I think it's important to speak up too

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Jimothy wrote: »

shitty opinions?

Well, I was just debating with a girl on FB (a good friend of mine!) because she thinks that the women should accept the "consequences" of taking those pictures and this is something public figures have to deal with and "the FBI has more important things to do" than investigate it

we clearly weren't convincing each other, and more people were siding with her, so I said my piece and let it be

Well I found your problem right there.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

So, I know this may be a leap (I hope not much of one), but we have an amazing artist community on here. Maybe there's a way you can reach out to the artists here to design a few bookmarks on a Copyleft or Creative Commons basis (So they keep the rights to their works, but allow the usage for educational purposes for free). If you have a template you might be able to get some interest on the Help/Advice or Artist forums.

That would be cool, but I have no access to a color printer.

Also iPod update!

For some reason everything started working? I threatened the mac a bit, maybe that did it?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Break into her house and steal her computer. It's her fault for owning one anyway.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

shitty opinions?

"They shouldn't have taken those pictures if they didn't want them to be made public." So I calmly explained why that's bullshit and now he's all grumpy and stompy. Good. Fuck that guy.

• Options
    That opinion is so dumb for so many reasons that I'm not going to bother to rant about here because the people here aren't a bunch of mouth breathing idiots.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    mouth breathing

Probably don't want to use that term.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    mouth breathing

Probably don't want to use that term.

Yeah! The proper nomenclature is Neckbeard.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Do people with allergies find it offensive?

This discussion has been closed.