As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So what do we do with [The Leftovers]?

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Caught the finale and that was just draining. For a show I almost gave up on the first few episodes, once it got rolling holy shit.
    Still not sure if Wayne actually has any powers - on one hand, Kevin seemed to get his wish but on the other Wayne acknowledged he might be a fraud...it also seems like a stretch to say his wish really held up for Norah...but you could also argue that he absolutely fulfilled it at the end. The ambiguity is great though - I'm still not convinced there is any magic beyond the rapture itself. Seems that way, but it's so hard to tell.

I have to say, Matt is one of the best and most powerful characters I've ever seen on TV. The way he seems to be a genuinely good man and has a completely clear conscience...who also doesn't think twice about grabbing the shovels is just...I don't even know the word. I really, really like him and how he just doesn't give up on anyone. I have to admit though that when Kevin fell asleep in the car, I thought he was turning him over to the GR instead of institutionalizing him and thinking 'how the hell are they going to justify this'?

Am I the only one who was surprised (and very relieved) that the GR used those fake plastic bodies instead of real dead people? I also like the small touches like the radio in the background when Matt and Kevin get in the car where they are talking about Wayne being hunted.

I almost wish the show hadn't been picked up for another season and ended on this episode. There is still so much ambiguity, so many questions remaining, but most of them really don't matter. As strong as it finished, I kind of want it to end on top and not get dragged on until it's a shell of itself.

Also, something I wasn't sure about...are Tom and Laurie coming back to the family, or are they out but together now? I gathered - from Tom leaving the baby on the porch - that he's not coming back home but I don't see how Laurie can at this point either.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So reports are saying season 2 is going to be a reboot. Most of the actors are returning, but they're ditching Mapleton and season 1 didn't happen for the new story.

Invisible on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Invisible wrote: »
    season 1 didn't happen for the new story.

What? that's madness.

Bubby on
  • Options
    On the plus side, certain actors, whose characters died, will be back.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So reports are saying season 2 is going to be a reboot. Most of the actors are returning, but they're ditching Mapleton and season 1 didn't happen for the new story.

This is crazy. I can't tell if I'm reading this right or if I'm drunk and just misinterpreting the words you are writing.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Nope. The reports seem to agree, it's a creative reboot, the main actors are staying, some of the minor actors have reduced roles or are gone completely and Mapleton is also gone.

Now, it may be a soft reboot and large parts of season 1 may still be canon or it may be a hard reboot and the cast remains and the story premise stays, but as far as season 1 goes, it might as well not exist.

Most of what I'm reading says it's more of the latter.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Really?

Well fuck this show then.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well it was based on a book. And the first season ended where the book ended.

So... I guess that's what happens when you have nothing left to use and can't write your own material.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    This is ridiculous, I have no idea what the fuck it means, and I'm incredibly excited by it.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Nope. The reports seem to agree, it's a creative reboot, the main actors are staying, some of the minor actors have reduced roles or are gone completely and Mapleton is also gone.

Now, it may be a soft reboot and large parts of season 1 may still be canon or it may be a hard reboot and the cast remains and the story premise stays, but as far as season 1 goes, it might as well not exist.

Most of what I'm reading says it's more of the latter.

I can't find any sources about scrubbing Season 1, could you put up a link? Frankly that sounds totally insane. Viewers will not tune in if this is what they're doing - like, are Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon's characters just strangers to eachother now? A lot of things were left unresolved, their relationship being a big one.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't think 'reboot' is the right term here

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I know I had the link for something like that, but now all I can find are articles linking to deadline. If I find it I'll link it.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Until we see more than one source reporting that I'm just going to assume those are crazy pants rumors.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    So what I'm hearing is, they're pulling an American Horror Story on this show?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Invisible's claims are as intangible as his username, Hacks.

The only news I have seen is that the show is leaving Mapleton, and as such, some of the cast has been culled. (like, the twins and deputy and such)

The main cast are reprising their roles and unless Invisible can back up his fever dream of a news story, it will continue the story from season 1.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've seen only one article that seems to think it might be a "same cast, different roles/story" situation, but that seems to be a case of them re-reporting the same original Deadline exclusive (which says nothing about them "erasing" S1, playing different characters, etc.) that every other news report did and misinterpreting that writer's use of the term "creative reboot" to mean "like American Horror Story". Like TehSpectre said, there's a setting change, but it sounds like we're still following the main family in a continuation of what they experienced in the 1st season.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    Season 2 premiere just aired. Well...that was certainly a thing...
    Not sure I like the new theme song. Maybe it'll only be used for this episode?

Intro was weird as hell.

Lots of weird shit happening in the new town.

Hey, 40 minutes in I see some characters I recognize!

Will definitely tune in next week to see where they take this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Oh did this premiere tonight? Didn't realize we were there already.

I'm curious how they're doing the reboot thing.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I forgot it was back on tonight as well, until I saw a Facebook post about it.

It's not a reboot, they're continuing from the previous season. Looks like the next episode will have some references to events in the last season.
    The Garveys have moved to a new town - Miracle, TX (previously named Jarden). The town's population had no departures, so they renamed it and turned it into a national park where tourists go to try to feel safe, or something...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ohhh okay. Last I'd read is that they were doing the reboot thing, guess that was just speculation. Well good, the fact that it's actually continuing the story makes me immediately more interested in it.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    that was certainly a thing that i just watched. I didn't like the first episode of last season much either, so i'll tune in next week.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    S2E2, "A Matter of Geography"
    Ah, some explanation for what's happened since last year's season finale. Nora sold her house (for $2.6 million!) to a research group from MIT so they can investigate their theory that the disappearances were "a matter of geography" and that Nora was spared from departing because she was in the kitchen rather than at the table with the rest of her family. Okay then!

Meanwhile, Kevin is wearing his earbuds and blasting loud music constantly (to keep from hearing voices?). He digs up Patti's body and gets himself pulled over with the body in the back of his truck (to try to get out of his relationship with Nora?). But the cops are just happy that a GR member is dead and let him go. He leaves the police station and sees Patti sitting in the passenger seat of his truck, but ignores her. He tells Nora about Patti's death and that he sleepwalks, but not that he's seeing Patti now. He and Nora adopt Lily (the baby Tom left on the porch) and they all decide to leave Mapleton and rent a house in Miracle. Speaking of Tom, it appears he met with Jill once or twice but refuses to let her tell Kevin that he is okay or where he is/what he's doing. He's last seen driving off with Laurie.

Oh, and Kevin's dad has been released from the psychiatric facility and is moving to Australia for some reason? Apparently he's still hearing the voices, but managed to get himself released anyway. Good luck in Australia...

When the Garveys arrive in Mapleton, they're told the house they rented burned down (the house John burned down in the season premiere?). They are also told they have to put their dog in quarantine (the crazy dog they adopted last season), which upsets Kevin. Nora impulsively buys a house that's being auctioned for $3 million. Surprise, the house they bought is...probably not worth anywhere near $3 million. Kevin snaps from the stress of seeing Patti everywhere (being her charming self) and yells at Nora, but apologizes. That night (the night of the earthquake) he puts in his earbuds to drown something out...

....and wakes up in the drained lake with a cinder block tied to his leg, gasping for air. Ooh, the plot thickens.

The new theme song is growing on me. Next week's preview was multiple scenes from the season, so not sure what specifically we'll be seeing next week.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Episode 2 was solid, I thought. I dunno - this show has great production. Looking forward to more.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    This seems to be going interesting places.

No I don't.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I am glad this show has remained unflinchingly... strange. I will keep watching.

• Options
    S2E3, "Off Ramp"
    This episode focuses on Laurie and Tom. Laurie is determined to make a new start after leaving GR. She starts a support group for former GR members, using a rented business office, and works on a book about her experience in the GR in her spare time. She sends Tom to infiltrate GR groups and rescue people who don't seem happy there. She lets the people Tom rescues stay at the office, which pisses off the sleazy landlord, who starts charging an extra $200 to rent the office. Laurie gets behind on her rent, prompting the landlord to kick her out of the office and put her belongings in the street (except for her laptop, which he steals and gives to his son). The laptop contains the only copy of Laurie's manuscript. Desperate, Laurie breaks into the landlord's house and steals the laptop back from his kid. On her way back home, she encounters two GR members in the street. She revs the engine, but they don't move...so she runs them over. It's implied she's done this before. Laurie submits her manuscript to a publisher. Tom has joined another GR group, and finds someone he thinks may be willing to leave. Instead she blows the whistle on him, and the other GR members forcibly drive him into the wilderness. Meg shows up, pulls off Tom's clothes, and has sex with him before the other GR members drag him out of the truck and douse him with gasoline. Tom stares in horror as Meg pulls out a lighter, then lights a cigarette and tells him, "Tell your mother Meg says hello." She and the other GR members leave him by the side of the road. Meanwhile, one of the ex-GR members Laurie was counseling has a relapse and drives her car (and her newly-reunited family) into an oncoming truck, killing all of them. Laurie finds this out just before meeting with the publisher, who loves her manuscript. In the meeting, the publisher is enthusastic about the book, but when he encourages her to embellish on the story, she loses her cool and tries to choke him. Tom bails her out of jail and tells her they need to find something they can give to the ex-GR members or their efforts will fail. In the last scene, Laurie encourages Tom to tell his story to the ex-GR members. He tells them about his life with Holy Wayne, and that Wayne passed his hugging powers on to Tom before he died...
    Wow, leaving the GR didn't make Laurie any less of a horrible person. First she makes Tom join and leave GR groups over and over, enduring all of the abuse GR members take from the public again and again. Now she's making him pretend to have Holy Wayne's powers so they can keep on rescuing people? Laurie escaped the GR, but she hasn't left them behind. I'm nervous about where this is going to go...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I dunno, adejaan, I don't think Tom was faking. Either that, or Tom the character is a better actor than the guy who actually plays him.

I actually really liked this episode. I was beginning to worry that the entire season was going to take place inside Miracle and we wouldn't find out what the other half of the Garvey family is up to. If anything, it seems like the outside world is coping and moving on better than the people who flock to that city.

LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • Options
    I got behind on watching the show, bleh. Caught up now. I don't know if it's worth recapping the episodes since there's been so little chatter about the show this season (here and elsewhere). I think the season is going great so far, but I have a bad feeling the show is going to get cancelled after this season. Episode 5 was pretty good, though the universe's constant shitting on Matt is starting to grate on me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So PA consensus is season 2 is worth watching?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    It is.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Yes!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    adejaan wrote: »
    S2E3, "Off Ramp"
    This episode focuses on Laurie and Tom. Laurie is determined to make a new start after leaving GR. She starts a support group for former GR members, using a rented business office, and works on a book about her experience in the GR in her spare time. She sends Tom to infiltrate GR groups and rescue people who don't seem happy there. She lets the people Tom rescues stay at the office, which pisses off the sleazy landlord, who starts charging an extra $200 to rent the office. Laurie gets behind on her rent, prompting the landlord to kick her out of the office and put her belongings in the street (except for her laptop, which he steals and gives to his son). The laptop contains the only copy of Laurie's manuscript. Desperate, Laurie breaks into the landlord's house and steals the laptop back from his kid. On her way back home, she encounters two GR members in the street. She revs the engine, but they don't move...so she runs them over. It's implied she's done this before. Laurie submits her manuscript to a publisher. Tom has joined another GR group, and finds someone he thinks may be willing to leave. Instead she blows the whistle on him, and the other GR members forcibly drive him into the wilderness. Meg shows up, pulls off Tom's clothes, and has sex with him before the other GR members drag him out of the truck and douse him with gasoline. Tom stares in horror as Meg pulls out a lighter, then lights a cigarette and tells him, "Tell your mother Meg says hello." She and the other GR members leave him by the side of the road. Meanwhile, one of the ex-GR members Laurie was counseling has a relapse and drives her car (and her newly-reunited family) into an oncoming truck, killing all of them. Laurie finds this out just before meeting with the publisher, who loves her manuscript. In the meeting, the publisher is enthusastic about the book, but when he encourages her to embellish on the story, she loses her cool and tries to choke him. Tom bails her out of jail and tells her they need to find something they can give to the ex-GR members or their efforts will fail. In the last scene, Laurie encourages Tom to tell his story to the ex-GR members. He tells them about his life with Holy Wayne, and that Wayne passed his hugging powers on to Tom before he died...
    Wow, leaving the GR didn't make Laurie any less of a horrible person. First she makes Tom join and leave GR groups over and over, enduring all of the abuse GR members take from the public again and again. Now she's making him pretend to have Holy Wayne's powers so they can keep on rescuing people? Laurie escaped the GR, but she hasn't left them behind. I'm nervous about where this is going to go...
    What a review. With that craziness I might start watching it again.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of this show, glad we have a thread.

this season is reminding me more of Lost (that's a complement from me).

Not really much to go into, the tone of the show is just pitch perfect for me and I love some crazy shit in my tv.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    yeah this season has been amazing so far, just one knockout episode after another.

season 2 spoiler:
    About the dissapearence of the girls.
    I find it really interesting how people would handle dissapearences like that in a world where the depature happened. Not only do you have the usual hell of not knowing, but the posibility of a secondary depature really makes it messy when fringe scientists and religious nuts get involved.

A friend of mine didn't understand all the fuzz about the town of miracle since he thought it was to be expected that of all the towns in the world surely one must have been spared by chance. Then I showed him how many zeros the probability had :) (population 9000 and 2% chance of depature)

• Options
    Season 2 spoilers
    Does anyone really think the missing girls departed? I think they were taking an impromptu swim in the lake when the earthquake happened, and they got sucked into the crack at the bottom of the lake along with all the water. Also, it would be the ultimate irony for Kevin's blackout persona to try to kill himself, only to end up being saved by the cinder block he was trying to kill himself with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Season 2 spoilers
    Does anyone really think the missing girls departed? I think they were taking an impromptu swim in the lake when the earthquake happened, and they got sucked into the crack at the bottom of the lake along with all the water. Also, it would be the ultimate irony for Kevin's blackout persona to try to kill himself, only to end up being saved by the cinder block he was trying to kill himself with.
    I don't think we'll ever know, because the show is more about the characters in the aftermath of the unexplained, rather than explaining the unexplained.

To the point though, I believe it was mentioned in the last episode by the guy from the Department of Sudden Departure, that the car's speed and velocity was similar to that of people who departed while driving. Not conclusive, obviously, but I feel the show writers are doing a great job and setting it up so you could believe either way.

• Options
    fortis wrote: »
    Season 2 spoilers
    I don't think we'll ever know, because the show is more about the characters in the aftermath of the unexplained, rather than explaining the unexplained.

To the point though, I believe it was mentioned in the last episode by the guy from the Department of Sudden Departure, that the car's speed and velocity was similar to that of people who departed while driving. Not conclusive, obviously, but I feel the show writers are doing a great job and setting it up so you could believe either way.
    I wondered about that. How would they even know what the car's speed/velocity were? Tire tracks? Was the car still in drive when they found it? Was the ground angled just enough so it would sit in drive without moving? I believe it was still running when Kevin found it, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Season 2 spoilers
    If the girls went swimming then wouldn't their clothes be at the side of the lake? This goes for both scenarios of departure while swimming or swallowed by earthquake.
    At first I had the theory that the girls stumbled upon some fanatic organization stealing the water, however, after the latest episode I lean more towards the girls having planned this themselves.

But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me...

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    I enjoyed season 1, but the leap in quality this season has been immense. One of my favorite shows this year, and this year has been STACKED

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Holy shit this episode...

This ending

What the fuck

What the fuck

Fuck

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...