As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeonings and Dragaerans and Labyrinths and Wyverns etc.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    holy shit Dog Eat Dog should be played/taught in every Australian school EVER

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Yeah I am pretty sure that would teach students in American High Schools more about social sciences, than probably, all their years of study combined

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I do not think I could play Dog Eat Dog

I do not think that is within my capacity

Yeah. I feel ashamed after a pitched game of Munchkin. This? I'd play the consummate villain and hate myself forever.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    In the end all we had done was maintain the status quo, except now Brendan felt sick and I thought I might actually start to cry.

It's such a good game. I'm still thinking about and being unsettled by it a week later.

In fact, I'd say it's probably the best game I never want to play again.

Fuck....

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Shut Up and Sit Down's piece on Dog Eat Dog is the best piece of games writing I have ever, ever read

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-dog-eat-dog/

Difficult for me to fully articulate how strongly it resonated with and affected me. Incredibly highly recommended.

Vivienne sent me a message earlier in the day to check it out and I spent the entire time thinking that this game is 100% you.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I do not want to play Dog Eat Dog

I would end up playing the Colonist and I dunno if I want to find out how good I am at that

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dating a native american dude, that shit would probably get maaaaaad awkward.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I do not want to play Dog Eat Dog

I would end up playing the Colonist and I dunno if I want to find out how good I am at that
    I believe that is the point.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I would play this and recreate that spoof British Gameshow. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    BYToady wrote: »
    I would play this and recreate that spoof British Gameshow. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE!

Remain Indoors.

I can sort of see the logic, the same obedience to nonsensical rules in an attempt to defend against things you really have no hope against, but that does seem to go against some of the intended thematics.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    we should have a forum pbp of dog eat dog

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    we should have a forum pbp of dog eat dog

I'd be pretty into that, actually. That might be just enough distance to handle it, and this seems like the sort of thing where "Thoughtful responses" are pretty paramount, and having time to write stuff out would certainly provide that.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I'd be down for that too.

This is the sort of game where I'd want to be really choosy about when/where I play it, and who I play it with. A PBP might soften it a little bit and allow for a more prolonged game.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I like how every game of betrayal it feels like we come across yet another scenario not specifically spelled out in the rules and everybody has to reach a consensus on the most fair interpretation of the rules, it's fun even if it fucks you over

I think I will like it less when I eventually end up playing with people who have also played a bunch and have completely different readings of those same situations but oh well

There is actually another clarification document floating around on the internet if you guys are struggling a lot with the rulings on the game.

I tried looking for this and couldnt find anything official for the second edition, just the 2nd edition rules that came with it and original and revised first edition rules, do you know where there might be something for second edition?
    Blake T wrote: »
    anzekay your friend brought it with you when we had the games day at your house. Can you ask him?

Oh hey I was just thinking about this, Anzekay did you ever have any luck getting in touch with your friend about this?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I must confess it completely slipped my mind. I'll shoot him a text now.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Thanks! I had forgotten too until just now so no worries

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    does anyone know of a good tabletop rpg system designed around a broze age or early iron age setting?

like assyria or babylon, those sorts of things

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm really enamored with Agon right now, which is based around the Greek Heroic Age

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So I played my fighter last night for the first time in 5th edition.

It was okay. It was a very old school style of D&D. Very sandbox-y, lots of options and ideas.

One combat encounter against a hobgoblin captain, warg, and two regular gobbies, against a party of 6 wasn't much of a fight, and I pretty much one-shotted both gobbies with my fighter (thanks to sharpshooter and a crit, respectively), so obviously that was fun. Outside of combat I was pretty bored, but that was more my group than anything. Bard, Warlock, and a Paladin, versus my Fighter who dumped Cha means I was playing the strong silent type.

There were quite a few fun moments, and a small number of moments I wasn't pleased with

but overall it was okay.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    does anyone know of a good tabletop rpg system designed around a broze age or early iron age setting?

Robin Laws' Hillfolk?

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

The One Ring would work fantastically for a more Anglo-Saxon setting

Dunno so much about a ancient semetic setting. Exalted would probably work if you stripped out the Exalted, it has bronze age and iron age stuff

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/extra-lifedmg-previews
    More exciting Extra Life news, regarding Dungeon Master's Guide previews!

If you haven’t heard, the D&D community is coming together this fall to participate in the Extra Life charity event, which raises money for kids at Children’s Miracle Network hospitals. The Wizards of the Coast team will be livestreaming its 24-hour D&D charity game on October 25 – 26. You can find details here.

Today, we have more exciting Extra Life news.

PREVIEWS OF THE DUNGEON MASTER’S GUIDE
    To support the team’s charity efforts, we’ll be unlocking early previews of the Dungeon Master’s Guide based on the team’s total donations. To date, the team has already raised over $18,000 toward its goal of $25,000. As the total climbs, we’ll release the following awesome stuff:

$25,000—Deck of Many Things

$30,000—Figurines of Wondrous Power

$35,000—A selection of magic rings.

$40,000—Eye of Vecna, Hand of Vecna and the Orb of Dragonkind

$45,000—Fire arms, explosives, and alien technology

$50,000—Table of Contents

ALIEN TECHNOLOGY PAGE
    firearms_p2.jpg

TABLE OF CONTENTS
    dmg_toc.jpg

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    fuck yeah antimatter rifle

"WHO NEEDS MAGIC NOW YOU FUCKS?!?"

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    If I ever run a D&D campaign the villains will be straight up aliens abducting various members of royalty but I'll never describe them as such to the players.

So this pleases me.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I can finally reenact A Kid in King Arthur's Court 2: No Mercy

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ha! Lasers do Radiant damage. When I used D&D monsters in Gamma World, I've been translating "Radiant" damage to "Laser" already, meaning that the PCs fight undead with their laser pistols. Reaffirmation!

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    That also means that angels are basically giant walking spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace battle cruisers.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    PEW PEW ANGELIC RETRIBUTION LASERS

This has got to be in a mecha anime somewhere.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    On an unrelated note, I was looking at a big list of less-well-known RPGs. And I found out about Ryuutama.

Haven't played it, but man it looks amazing from a brief glimpse.

There's a spell called "Knights of Laundry" that sends your clothing temporarily to an alternate dimension filled with knights that do nothing but clean. Best spell.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    I also like the "Type Wild" spell that summons a magical stuffed animal, which somehow helps the party to escape from a combat encounter.

• Options
    wildwood wrote: »
    I also like the "Type Wild" spell that summons a magical stuffed animal, which somehow helps the party to escape from a combat encounter.

Do you have to yell, "I CHOOSE YOU!" when you cast it?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Chad the Druid and his trusty beagle, Muffins, have successfully survived their first two official combat encounters

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played a bunch of Conquest tonight with an Eldar/Tau deck I made, against my friend's Dark Eldar/Chaos deck

Eldar are SO GOOD

in one game, the first two planets were both tri-color and I had to concede both because I couldn't mount a credible assault, so I just dedicated my resources to winning as many command struggles as I could

after my opponent took the second planet, all of his units went back to HQ, and I basically had to draw Doom right then in order to win the game

which I did, and then killed 8 units

my counterassault won me the next five planets

at one point he tried to Warpstorm me and I just Nullified it

eventually at the very last planet I killed his warlord

Conquest is super fun, you should play it

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So

I'm looking at the table of contents.

and I'm not really seeing where all those modules and optional rules are supposed to show up.

Five pages of content on combat to split between tactical rules options and actual "how to" guidance?

Not sure how I feel about that.

Honestly if the DMG doesn't have a significant amount of optional rules and I don't see where they're supposed to be coming

I will strongly urge my group to switch back to 4e.

Unless the DM lets my Fighter dual-wield pistols, of course.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Unless the DM lets my Fighter dual-wield laser pistols, of course.

FTFY

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that the mere mention of laser pistols makes me want to play Gamma World again?

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Nope.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Personally, laser pistols make me think Paranoia.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Just played Talisman for the first time.

It was pretty good.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    smh if wanting to play gamma world isn't your constant state of being

This discussion has been closed.