As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeonings and Dragaerans and Labyrinths and Wyverns etc.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It has seperate little note thingies it's totally a little plastic recorder.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    What about a bard who plays a jaw harp?

Just all "I shall play an invigorating song of valor abd bravery to steel our hearts for combat!" *doww digga brow boww boww digga dowe*

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Make a human who came from our dimension who firmly believes magic and the other races do not exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9bny88OuY

?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Suitable bard instruments:

Swannee whistle
    Kazoo
    One man band
    Internal boombox (Warforged only)
    Threeba (like a tuba, but bigger)
    Pipe organ on a cart
    Finger cymbals
    Armpit sounds

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Suitable bard instruments:

Swannee whistle
    Kazoo
    One man band
    Internal boombox (Warforged only)
    Threeba (like a tuba, but bigger)
    Pipe organ on a cart
    Finger cymbals
    Armpit sounds

VUVUZELA

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    It has seperate little note thingies it's totally a little plastic recorder.

It's the length of my index finger! That's a really small recorder.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    playing a monk in 3.5 or pathfinder is a guaranteed shitty character

I dunno, some Pathfinder Monk builds can be pretty damn fun.

Not amazing, like some classes, but not shitty.

But it's very easy to make a shitty monk.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    monk is so aggressively sub-optimal it's basically a challenge to make something good with one

you can, sure

but you can pick up a cleric or druid and just like

go

with barely a care in the world

they're no-brainer classes

you take that same approach with monk and you're garbage

i'm sure someone will try to argue with me that presents some kind of roleplaying opportunity but i dunno dogg

i've never seen a D&D player sitting at the table realize his character is fucking trash compared to everyone else and be happy about it unless he like

aggressively did it on purpose

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If you've got a party with lots of 'person with a tragic past' then I guess it could be fun to roleplay a monk as some kind of counselor.

"Tell me about these feelings of rage that you have... Other party members have expressed concern over your tendency to break things. I feel that if we explore these feelings we might be able to get to the bottom of it and help you become a more balanced person."

"...I'm a berserker."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Talking about dumb characters makes me wish I could find a way to viably and enjoyable play Sir Fabilus the Beautiful. Half-orc paladin with maxed out Charisma, with Wis completely dumped and Int not a whole lot better.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Bard that blows into a jug and/or beer bottle

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    monk is so aggressively sub-optimal it's basically a challenge to make something good with one

you can, sure

but you can pick up a cleric or druid and just like

go

with barely a care in the world

they're no-brainer classes

you take that same approach with monk and you're garbage

i'm sure someone will try to argue with me that presents some kind of roleplaying opportunity but i dunno dogg

i've never seen a D&D player sitting at the table realize his character is fucking trash compared to everyone else and be happy about it unless he like

aggressively did it on purpose

I don't really feel the need to argue about it. My Pathfinder Monk has been very effective at what she does and she's a hell of a lot of fun to play.

She's a Silent Monk, so she never talks, yet is also the Warden of our kingdom (essentially chief of police), so she'd had to spend time teaching all of her town watchmen sign language. And then she had to learn Kobold sign language, because we had a colony of Kobold move into town, and then teach that to all the human townsfolk.

I spend most of my time in sessions frantically pantomiming to the other players, writing short things down on scraps of paper, or doing my awful ASLAN to one of our players who is fluent in it.

But then whenever we get into combat she just hits things until they stop moving and has been pretty damn effective at doing so.

And next level she's going to have a cohort. Who will, of course, be a cute little Kobold.

So yeah, I certainly don't feel like she's a powerhouse compared to the cutting-edge super min-maxed characters that one might see at a Pathfinder Society game, or with other players who just like doing that with character. And maybe I'm having to put a lot more work into making her as good as some random Barbarian. But whatever, she's fun, and I guess I don't care about playing a class that is considered sub-optimal when I am having fun with it.

Also you are comparing two spellcasters to a martial class in, well, Pathfinder. Not exactly a fair comparison :P

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Snowbear wrote: »

Just constantly shouts "Commence to jigglin', ya'll!"

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Snowbear wrote: »

"Bard, a solution to a puzzle is required - sing me a buff to Int and Wis!"

Best-simpsons-gifs-jug-hoedown.gif

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Kobold/Tiefling Swordmage built around teleportation. BAMF!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    A 1:1 carbon copy of Drizzt

• Options
    Possible Ranger animal companions:

Nematode worm
    Octopus in a bag
    Chicken
    Sloth
    Hummingbird
    Unicorn that only you can see
    Rock with googly eyes on it

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My animal companion would be a Betta I carry around in a fishbowl.

I would often ask it if it knows any dark secrets.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Which Moorcock should I read if I'm not interested in Elric

I read a collection of short stories that were the bomb. Point in case: a Cossack light cavalry brigade charge a nuclear explosion in a semi post apocalyptic world war three.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Flumph Paladin.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have good sources for premade adventures? Preferably with the crunch as generic as possible. I need an urban adventure to get back into the groove of things with my game after a hiatus...

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Im going to be playing pathfinder soon

Give me your dumbest character

how dumb we talking here?

you wanna literally become king at lvl 5?

• Options
    Does anyone have good sources for premade adventures? Preferably with the crunch as generic as possible. I need an urban adventure to get back into the groove of things with my game after a hiatus...

for what system?

because the pathfinder adventure paths are all super well written and take you from 1-16ish over 6 books

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I want to conquer kingdoms with a length of rope

Have a character specialized in fighting with ladders

Cowboy wizard

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    What's that wizard archetype that uses scrolls as weapons? I seem to remember that being objectively terrible.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    PiptheFair wrote: »

for what system?

because the pathfinder adventure paths are all super well written and take you from 1-16ish over 6 books

PF is fine. I'm running 3.5 because I'm stubborn and old school like that. I figure I can easily convert PF stuff.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Denada wrote: »
    What's that wizard archetype that uses scrolls as weapons? I seem to remember that being objectively terrible.

it is

it's hilarious and cool though

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/scrollmaster

• Options

it is

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/scrollmaster

Yeah that's the one. Has anyone figured out how to make it good?

• Options

it is

Yeah that's the one. Has anyone figured out how to make it good?

by not playing the class

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Im going to be playing pathfinder soon

Give me your dumbest character

Fighter with a polearm focus and the leadership feat with a cohort that carries one of every polearm in the game. The cohort acts as his caddy and advises him on the best pole arm for every encounter.

Quick aside, that's known as a "Batman" in older (pre-industrial) military terminology.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Make a human who came from our dimension who firmly believes magic and the other races do not exist.

?

man, that guy is an asshole.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I am in love with that polearm caddie idea.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Melding wrote: »

?

man, that guy is an asshole.

He's named Peter Dickinson.

His parents basically doomed him to be a massive prick from the cradle. I bet his middle name is Richard, just to go for the hat trick.

Edit: Oh. He's named after a real person who is presumably not a massive prick. Sorry award winning actual person Peter Dickinson.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

?

Kinda want to watch this movie now

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

?

Kinda want to watch this movie now

It's a pretty sweet fucking movie, you should!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like the crown should have turned into a fedora at the end just to complete the picture.

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nice. I look forward to seeing more.

Let me know if you ever want further assistance with your stuff.

Thanks, I absolutely will!

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I have made a couple of good Monk builds. In 3.5E, it was Druid 9 before multiclassing, where you basically got to Brown Bear+Stoneskin and then just take monk levels to increase Large unarmed damage, unarmored AC, and mobility. Essentially Kung Fu Panda.

The second is in Pathfinder, use a Reach weapon. Combat Reflexes let you make stupid amounts of Reach AoOs, and if they get smart and get inside your guard, you can then Flurry of Blows on them because you can still make unarmed attacks even if your hands are full. Bonus points if you take a strong race with a natural attack, take Improved Natural Attack, ad Feral Combat Training.

This discussion has been closed.