As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I can't recommend this mod enough: Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips. Steam Workshop. Nexusmods.
    AC0DF71B9EAB0BA9EE4BA0059129D2457F019812

Single-handedly turned the loading screens from an interruption to something to enjoy. The author REALLY nailed the writing. It's too bad they have yet to tackle the DLC loading screens, and that the other person who did just isn't as good.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I've seen that. My issue is that, last I checked, it was a complete replacer for the loading screens and not simply an addition.

If I could have both that and Lore Based Loading screens, I'd take it

Still hilarious though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Dangit I found Star Wars mods.....now I have to pick Skyrim up on PC as well.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    It's possible that I may be over-hyping MO a bit, just because I like it so much. Its non-destructive way of letting mods live side-by-side just strikes me as the "correct" way to do things, and satisfies some deep-seated love of organization. It also has so many features that almost every time I think "hey, wouldn't it be nice if...", it turns out that MO is a step ahead of me.

I don't change my mods all that often, but I do try to update them once in a while, and it's nice to have every mod live in its own little world when I do that, so that the updates don't have to clobber each other. Also, people link to things in this thread sometimes that make me go "oh, I gotta have that one", and then it's - once again - nice to have isolated environments for things, so that if the new mod doesn't play nice, it's easy to pull it out completely without compromising the existing, working mods.

You are not over-hyping Mod Organizer at all. I use something like 200 mods, and I change them around often. Before I switched to MO, I was often needing to re-install Skyrim because I would break things so bad that the game literally became unplayable, either because of frequent crashing, or because parts of the game would just stop functioning. That doesn't happen anymore. The worst types of mods that can really screw over a game are script-heavy mods, like Frostfall, Real Needs and Diseases, Dragon Combat Overhaul, etcetera. Scripts can often overwrite one another if they are trying to modify similar (but not exactly the same) things, and this might break one mod or the other if there isn't a compatibility patch, or if you overwrite them in the incorrect order. The more mods you mess around with, the more complicated it gets trying to keep track of what you have overwriting and being overwritten, until your game is just a wreck. MO lists your mods out and shows exactly which mods are overwriting something, and you can then look at the details as to what mods its overwriting (or being overwritten by), as well as exactly what files are involved. And since nothing actually gets over-written, you can simply reverse the priority of mods if you find that one is borking the other.
    Still stuck with the same problem above. It was suggested that I deactivate Sounds of Skyrim, so I did so for Civilization and Wilds. Still crashing.

Would I be better off deactivating everything and starting over using MO? It sounds like that's a better alternative to installing mods.

Might I suggest starting a game without RCRN and see how it goes? Also, yes you should absolutely use MO, as stated above. Of note, because RCRN is so shitty, it doesn't work correctly with MO.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I think NMM reinstates overwritten mod pieces if you unistall the mod which did the overwriting. I use a lot of mods and the only problem I have had with NMM is once it got a bit confused when it crashed during a mod install.

Also, not sure RCRN should be a recommended mod any more, especially with ENB and all. A weather mod (CoT/PW) paired with a lighting mod (ELFX/RLO) is probably better and more widely compatible.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The random dawnguard attacks have really started to grow on me.

Thanks to their unlimited supply of goons, I'll never have to buy food for my giant frost spider ever again.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man, I tried out Pure Weather a few days ago, and the nights were DAAAAARK. I even picked the "brighter nights for wussies" option, and still, at 9pm, I could only see a few feet in front of me. I'm sure some people are into that sort of thing, but it's just not for me.

Too bad, because I use Pure Waters, and was hoping to get the even-prettier water promised by using the combination of Pure Waters and Pure Weather.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I'm using that and it's dark as hell, especially with brightness cranked down for ENB. I've been sticking with it so far because you really wouldn't be able to see anything at night without lights, and I have Candlelight and a brighter torch mod, but it falling abruptly pitch black at 6pm until 6am is annoying.

I'd like some midground between realistically dark and the see-everything twilight of vanilla. I remember downloading the brighter nights version, but I don't think I ever turned it on, so I guess I'll check that.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah that's a thing that a lot of us come across with lighting mods. The majority of lighting mods seem to be "Better = Darker" which some people love, but I can't fucking stand. I once had a setup that I tried to work with, but walking into a building and not being able to see anything more than 3 feet from a lamp was ridiculous.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So, is there such a thing as a mod that lets you put the Hearthfire house wings wherever, instead of each type being locked to a given side of the house?
    Quoting myself since I got bottom of the page'd, and adding a followup question: How much effort would it likely be to make if it doesn't already exist? I dunno what making mods entail, but in my mind it's just a matter of copy/pasting the existing wings and rotating them for placement in the other locations.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    One thing that Pure Weather apparently does is have different levels of darkness at night based on the phase of the moon, the weather and the auroras, so I think it is supposed to get quite dark under certain conditions which I suppose is somewhat reasonable. That aside, if you use ENB and nights are too dark you can tweak the lighting.

I'm another person who doesn't understand the appeal of complete darkness. In real life, eyes adjust quite a bit (especially with moonlight). Plus, it's a game and you don't have the full set of senses like in real life, so in order to orient yourself you need to at least see your surroundings somewhat.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Does anybody know of a good mod that adds some badass overcoats/dusters to the game? I know they don't quite perfectly fit into the setting but I really think of my red-skinned Hellboy orc needs a big brown coat to wear on his travels as Skyrim's foremost paranormal investigator. (He investigates the shit out of stuff with his axe.)

Enig wrote: »
    One thing that Pure Weather apparently does is have different levels of darkness at night based on the phase of the moon, the weather and the auroras, so I think it is supposed to get quite dark under certain conditions which I suppose is somewhat reasonable. That aside, if you use ENB and nights are too dark you can tweak the lighting.

I'm another person who doesn't understand the appeal of complete darkness. In real life, eyes adjust quite a bit (especially with moonlight). Plus, it's a game and you don't have the full set of senses like in real life, so in order to orient yourself you need to at least see your surroundings somewhat.

Yeah, I read about the variable darkness, but honestly? I'm not playing this game to get the Real Authentic Experience Of Roughing It In A Frozen Wasteland; I'm playing it because I want to get the Be A Golden Shining God Who Cleaves Mammoths In Twain With A Stern Word And Makes Dragons Tumble From The Sky In His Wake experience. This is why I don't have Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases installed, and it's why I am 100% OK with vanilla's flood-lit nights.

Mind you, I totally understand why people do want those harsher experiences and hardcore mods! I can even imagine doing a run-through at some point with that setup. Maybe. Later.

Like, if I'm playing a skill game whose goal is mastery of the system, like say Ninja Gaiden or Spelunky or whatever, then yes, absolutely, I want to gain mastery of the system and eventually overcome it. Give me every obstacle that the system is designed to have. When I play something like a Saints Row or an Elder Scrolls, though, I explicitly want the game to strip away the annoying minutia of real life (having to eat, having to sleep, having to use the bathroom, having to blow my nose sometimes, having a backache because I'm no longer 20 and slept in the wrong position, having to pay my monthly bills) so that I can steal every fork that isn't nailed down, so I can jump off a tall building and live, so I can punch a dragon in the nose, and so on. Nights (and dungeons) that are so dark that I can't see all the 100 jars that I'm going to meticulously open and loot for 1d4 + 3 gold each are simply not part of the experience that I personally am looking for.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Thanks to their unlimited supply of goons, I'll never have to buy food for my giant frost spider ever again.

Plus their armor looks badass

Plus their armor looks badass
    Fetches a nice price too.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile

Nope. Already saw 'em. Garbage. Badly textured and way too fancy looking. Just want a simple big brown coat.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I can only assume that the people who make these mods have never actually gone outside at night.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I can only assume that the people who make these mods have never actually gone outside at night.

Course not. Too busy making mods for that.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

To be fair.

There are bears outside.

I use Pure Weather with an ENB, and though I agree with you all who hate super dark nights, I haven't had too much of a problem with it. Mainly, the nights aren't super-dark all the time... it depends on conditions, and so when it does get absolutely too dark to function, I generally stay at an inn or otherwise find a bedroll (bandits often find they don't need theirs after I've stopped by) to sleep in until sunrise.

If I get caught in darkness, a torch usually at least gives enough light so I'm not running into a wall, allowing me to get to one of the beds as mentioned above.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Is the Nexus down for anybody else right now? It's been giving me trouble off and on all afternoon, of course starting while I'm halfway into my fresh mod install.

EDIT: And of course in the time it took to type that message, it popped back up. I'm watching you, Nexus...

EDIT 2: Down again! I knew you were not to be trusted...

Kid Presentable on
    edited July 2014
    On the general topic of darkness in Skyrim, Wearable Lanterns is a great little mod to keep visibility up if you are not overly concerned with stealth (although the light is doused automatically when you start sneaking). Companions can wear them as well for even more illumination.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Even though I like me some bright nights, I actually like using Wearable Lanterns for flavor (same reason my character, who has a carrying capacity of like a million, is wearing a modded satchel on his back, and some bandoliers/belts/pouches. He's this far away from being a Liefeld character).

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Nope. Already saw 'em. Garbage. Badly textured and way too fancy looking. Just want a simple big brown coat.

While this is textured rather well, it may be too fancy for you.

Still sexy though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Thing is that what a lot of these kinds of mods look like depends wildly on your monitor and whether it's properly calibrated, as well as the authors monitor and whether it's properly calibrated. Realistic Nights (and mostly likely Pure Weather, which I haven't gotten to try yet) look completely fine on my end, and I've spent a fair amount of time outside at night in areas with relatively little light pollution.

I can totally understand people that don't want the dark experience, though.

Without the moon or other significant light sources, you can't see much at night, and human night vision is awful so it's not very good even after adjusting. Where I live it's like a mass of inky blackness if the moon's not up.

I have to play with my settings because when it falls dark I can't even make out the immediate vicinity in game, which is too damn dark, but I really dislike the mystical twilight of vanilla. Brighter torches plus a little less dark will ideal for me, I think.

s7Imn5J.png
    To be fair, there are two "moons" in the skyrim night sky, and both of them are significantly larger than Luna. I don't know how often they'd both be new moons at the same time, but even one of them should be enough to keep the landscape fairly well lit.

I live in the middle of nowhere where there aren't even any streetlights, and I take nighttime walks almost daily (nightly?). You can't really see into those dark corners, but there's always enough illumination to see pretty well everywhere else.

edited July 2014
    Edit: not totally sure why that happened.

LD50 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Realistic or no it's really just not fun. you basically can't travel at night since you;ll just miss all the collectibles on the way(which is the whole damn reason for manually walking in the first place)

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    @Delduwath‌

I just downloaded MO and as part of the tutorial it has you download a mod from Nexus. I've associated MO with the Nexus files, but when I go to do a NMM download it just hangs and won't complete the download. What gives?

The web path for the file also gets a "/?" after the end of it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19/?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    edited July 2014
    You can't really see into those dark corners, but there's always enough illumination to see pretty well everywhere else.

Not where I live, there isn't.

Two moons is a good point, though.
    I just downloaded MO and as part of the tutorial it has you download a mod from Nexus. I've associated MO with the Nexus files, but when I go to do a NMM download it just hangs and won't complete the download. What gives?

Download to NMM never worked for me. Maybe downloading and adding to MO manually is the solution for that as well.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    You can't really see into those dark corners, but there's always enough illumination to see pretty well everywhere else.

Not where I live, there isn't.

Two moons is a good point, though.

Download to NMM never worked for me. Maybe downloading and adding to MO manually is the solution for that as well.

:-/ The fucking MO tutorial won't finish without me downloading something using MO as psuedo-NMM. NMM download worked fine though when I was just using that. Frustrating, I never should have switched, apparently.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Gaslight wrote: »

While this is textured rather well, it may be too fancy for you.

Still sexy though.

Yeah it's still not really the look I'm going for but I have to admit it's nicely done. Would def use it on a magic-based character.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    MO and FNIS. How?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited July 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    MO and FNIS. How?

Install FNIS through Mod Organizer just like any mod. Then, at the top right of the screen next to the 'run' button, click the down arrow and choose 'edit'. Use that window to add FNIS as a program, browsing to where MO installed FNIS (\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS or whatever you called it) and click the 'Add' button. Then you'll be able to select FNIS as an executable to run and do so from within MO.

Toxic Pickle on
    @Delduwath‌

The web path for the file also gets a "/?" after the end of it: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19/?

So, I probably should have mentioned that I'm currently running into an issue with MO where sometimes - and I can't figure out which stars have to align for this to happen - I will be downloading a mod, but the progress bar won't actually show up. It basically looks like the download process failed, but then if I wait for the period of time necessary for the file to download, the UI will update itself to let me know that hey! The download succeeded. I think this was introduced in the last patch, or something, because I've never had this happen before.

Let me ask you this: What does the download UI look like when you click the "Download with Manager" link? Could you post a screenshot, if possible? If you're trying to download mod ID 19 - the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, which is fairly large (~85 Mb)- it's possible that the problem I described above is happening: the UI looks like the download hung, but under the hood it's actually chugging along. You just can't tell that it finishes because it takes a long time to grab that large file, and in the meantime you close MO, or move on to do something else. What happens if you download some light-weight mod, like let's say Better Dialogue Controls (24kb in size)?

I realize that this is a bad first impression, and probably pretty frustrating for you - I'm very sorry about that! Hopefully, we'll be able to get you set up proper, if you're willing to hang in there. I've got it working on my machine, and I actually re-installed it just last weekend, so it should be possible to get it working correctly.

Oh, and the question mark at the end of the URL is actually totes OK, Nexus will actually do that by itself when you visit a mod page.

Delduwath wrote: »
    What happens if you download some light-weight mod, like let's say Better Dialogue Controls (24kb in size)?

...holy shit, it never occurred to me to even check that a mod fixed this. Skyrim's godawful conversation system annoys me with this all the time, but then I forget about it a minute later until it I talk to someone else and it recurs.

s7Imn5J.png
    Sometimes Nexus is just bad though, and doesn't cooperate with downloads. I assume that is true for MO like it is for NMM.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png