As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It would be interesting if Bethesda ever actually killed off the empire and go full on evil elf tyranny.

Seems like they've been in decline/teasing them going down the toilet forever.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    But if the evil elves win, the world would end. There would be no tyranny.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Yeah but thats what mcguffins are for.

They can't rewrite reality without the all seeing eye of cause reasons or such. Until then they find it they poke humans with a stick or something.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the next game should be set in the dominion yes

then I can kill all the thalmar

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Indeed, it's that female Redguard that decides you go to the block despite not being on 'the list' nor wearing any Stormcloak armor, and if you side with Ralof you get to kill her in your first encounter after getting your hands unbound.

Tullius doesn't seem like a bad guy at all... he's just there doing what he's supposed to, which is win a war.

Killing the Captain who ordered your execution, that should be plenty of revenge.

Since she appears nowhere else in the game I assume she doesn't survive Helgen anyway.

Also a great way to start with a suit of fairly snazzy heavy armour.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    hrrmph.

My concern with changing restore to regen is that regen i sort of derpy and weak right up until you cross some magic threshold of regen% + base max <stat> and then it becomes invincibility (or just inexhaustibility), be it health/stamina/magicka.

Although obviously chugging healing potions is broken as well.
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

They can't rewrite reality without the all seeing eye of cause reasons or something. Until then they find it they poke humans with a stick or something.

I'd really like to see a desperate Elder Scrolls where you're hunted and ostracized everywhere and barely have a support network off in pirate town or whatever. Basically an apocalyptic scenario or maybe the vampires/weres run everything, standing the usual culture on its head.

It might go against the 'play whatever you want' open world but that world is too calm for me quite often.

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Regarding the potion thing this mod seems to be cool and composed of non-bloaty mechanics: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58815/? but I'm currently running a vampire so I didn't think I'd get much out of it what with immune to disease and all.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

They can't rewrite reality without the all seeing eye of cause reasons or such. Until then they find it they poke humans with a stick or something.

Elder Scrolls lore already established what they need to do to end the world, and that's bringing down the Towers.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So I've played 132 hours and with my new Imperial woman, just discovered a maze and a mysterious wooden mask. How is that even possible?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I was still occasionally finding new things around the 500 hour mark.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've been playing this as a non-lethal, artisan character who just wants to get good at making stuff. This is more fun than it sounds! When you get to mid level smithing it gives you an excuse to sneak around dwarven tombs finding stuff to melt down. Robbing the museum in Markarth and then melting all of my stolen goods down to make into untraceable armour is the closest I've felt to pulling off a genuine heist.

I have illusion magic and necromancy, so occasionally I let dead bodies do my fighting for me if it's really necessary. Once I start really working on enchanting, I'm going to have to start cutting the occasional throat to get souls, but that actually seems like a fun bit of character arc. I'm essentially roleplaying the early days of Sauron.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I've been playing this as a non-lethal, artisan character who just wants to get good at making stuff. This is more fun than it sounds! When you get to mid level smithing it gives you an excuse to sneak around dwarven tombs finding stuff to melt down. Robbing the museum in Markarth and then melting all of my stolen goods down to make into untraceable armour is the closest I've felt to pulling off a genuine heist.

I have illusion magic and necromancy, so occasionally I let dead bodies do my fighting for me if it's really necessary. Once I start really working on enchanting, I'm going to have to start cutting the occasional throat to get souls, but that actually seems like a fun bit of character arc. I'm essentially roleplaying the early days of Sauron.

And then in 40 hours this will be you:

IVpqVJZ.gif

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I'm already vaguely thinking about what I'm going to use as the enchant for my gold ring

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm already vaguely thinking about what I'm going to use as the enchant for my gold ring

Seems pretty easy. Make it have illusion spells cost 0 mana, spam invis. Bonus points for +1 hand weapon dmg because dat epic mace doe. Once you get the dual enchanting perk, obvs.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    I thought maybe dual enchant of reduce illusion costs/mana regen and straight mana regen. It seems like illusion, with invisibility and bending minds, is the ideal One Ring choice. It won't be THAT powerful (I'm not going to do any of the smithing tricks/exploits) but it'll be thematically appropriate and pretty neat.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    That actually does sound like a pretty fun way to play Skyrim, and one I've not considered in the past.

This sounds like a play-through that would go well with realism mods (like Frostfall and RND) because it would put more focus on the aspects of survival and dealing with the elements, rather than charging into the wilds sword a-waving. What might also be cool if hirelings were a bit more realistic. For example, one of the NPC mods (can't remember if it's Interesting or Inconsequential) adds generic mercenaries to various taverns, that cost 500 gold to hire. The problem of course is that the gold basically buys them for their lifetime... it'd be more fun if I had to continue paying them, adding a risk/reward to having a hired blade versus going in solo and hoping to avoid trouble.

I am definitely going to give this more thought... it sounds like something I want to try.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I thought maybe dual enchant of reduce illusion costs/mana regen and straight mana regen. It seems like illusion, with invisibility and bending minds, is the ideal One Ring choice. It won't be THAT powerful (I'm not going to do any of the smithing tricks/exploits) but it'll be thematically appropriate and pretty neat.

A combination of +mana and +mana regen ultimately gives the best sustainability. There's a certain point where once your base mana pool is sufficiently large it makes any +regen much stronger.

So like, 600 mana with +200% mana regen ends up being a lot better than 300 mana with +400% mana regen.

• Options
    So I'm in Whiterun dicking around and I see that the smith has a banish weapon in stock for 4500 gold. I super need that! That's a big deal for an artisan! That will make me a lot of money! I've just spent all my gold on materials too! So I'm huffing and puffing around making stuff and enchanting stuff and pulling together the cash and I finally just scrape the amount. I run back to the smith and then... the game crashes. Reload. Stock reset. No weapon. FML.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The great RNG giveth, and the great RNG taketh away. Tis a fickle god.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    So I have to admit my failure in creating a non-violent artisan character, but have instead settled on a cowardly artisan character who avoids battles when possible, uses a crossbow to pick off enemies when combat is unavoidable, and is an alcoholic and skooma addict. Using lots of realism and immersion mods (RND, Frostfall, Convenient Horses, Complete Crafting Overhaul, Realistic Room Rentals so it can actually sting to stay at an inn, and probably some others).

I started as a Dunmer refugee (via Alternate Start) who came over on the boat from Solstheim, ending up in the very frigid Windhelm. I tell you what, if you ever wanted a reason to hate Windhelm, wander around there as a Dunmer. :P

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've found there's an...interesting thing that happens when you have Alternate Start and Instant Dragons running at the same time. Namely, that no matter where you start, there's gonna be a dragon and you will not be able to defeat it. Run. Run like the wind because a single breath is gonna barbecue you.

Hell of an opening for a character to find out about Helgen though.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    I've been trying to re-mod Skyrim since I started a new character, but I would like to do so with mods that don't depend on scripts or that may play with the actual saves so I can add and remove them as I wish. Would the following mods be safe for this?

Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2
    Alternative Rock and Mountains
    Enhanced Distant Terrain 2
    Lush Trees and Grass (grass portion only)
    Real Ice
    Superior Lore Friendly Hair
    SkyFalls+SkyMills
    aMidian Book of Silence Armors/Creatures/Weapons/etc.
    Detailed Rugs
    Natural Grass Texture Floor
    Skyrim HD 2K
    XCE vanilla and Dawnguard
    Ruins Clutter Improved
    Better Dynamic Snow
    Pure Waters
    SMIM

Basically these are mainly upgrades to visuals. My assumption is that they don't use scripts, or anything that could screw up a save game, but I am no expert and would like to be sure. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    Yes those are all texture and/or mesh mods that are script free, and should cause no issues if you need to remove them later. The only exception I believe is going to be the dynamic snow one, which I *think* might use some scripts to handle the way snow behaves.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've been trying to re-mod Skyrim since I started a new character, but I would like to do so with mods that don't depend on scripts or that may play with the actual saves so I can add and remove them as I wish. Would the following mods be safe for this?

Real Ice
    SkyFalls+SkyMills
    Detailed Rugs
    Skyrim HD 2K
    Ruins Clutter Improved
    Better Dynamic Snow
    Pure Waters
    SMIM

Basically these are mainly upgrades to visuals. My assumption is that they don't use scripts, or anything that could screw up a save game, but I am no expert and would like to be sure. Thanks!

Without investigating each of those mods closely myself, I can only say that they all sound like they don't have scripts. I'm not sure about the weather ones though. Some weather mods do have scripts (climates of Tamriel for instance).

It is safe to add/remove these kinds of non-scripted texture replace mods without making a new game, yes.

The issue with removing scripted mods while you have a game going is that it leaves orphaned scripts running which attempt to call things that no longer exist, because you uninstalled them, and errors pile up until your game turns into a crashing ball of fire.

This simply doesn't happen with mods that merely swap assets.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Yes those are all texture and/or mesh mods that are script free, and should cause no issues if you need to remove them later. The only exception I believe is going to be the dynamic snow one, which I *think* might use some scripts to handle the way snow behaves.
    Pretty sure this is correct. Everything else should be free of scripts.

Also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfFdIBm6DIk

Interesting things are afoot. Busting open the animation system could remove most of the clunkiness that's at the root of the problems with Skyrim's controls and potentially pave the way for better technical combat (Dark Messiah, Zeno Clash, Dark Souls, etc.) if someone had the mind to do it. Also, spears. spears speeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrsssssss.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the help! Time to start modding again...

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to switch chrome so that it downloads from Nexus using NMM rather than MO?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Anyone know how to switch chrome so that it downloads from Nexus using NMM rather than MO?
    You don't need to do this through your browser. Run NMM as an administrator, go into the general tab of the settings menu, and untick and retick the option for it to use NXM links. That'll switch you back over to NMM.

If you want to go back to MO, it will ask you if you want to reassociate with NXM links the next time you start it up. You can also reset it with the "associate with 'download with manager' links" button in the Nexus tab of the settings menu if you aren't prompted.

Monger on
  • Options
    Thanks, now someone tell me which face and body enhancers I should download, there faces are better and more distinct than F3:NV, but still could use some fine tuning.

• Options
    Thanks, now someone tell me which face and body enhancers I should download, there faces are better and more distinct than F3:NV, but still could use some fine tuning.
    As a general rule, XCE (plus XCE Dawnguard) is a good base for textures. It's the vanilla style at a higher quality. Not really a lot of reason to not have it installed.

I haven't bothered with any body mods, so I couldn't tell you much about them. I don't like the style of the vast majority of them, and even if I did, the armor mods that I use don't support any of them consistently. It's possible to do armor conversions with Outfit Studio, but it's a fair amount of work and seems to give generally sloppy results.

As for other things that I use or am looking to use:

Textures:
    -Skysight Skins (male only) - This is probably what I'm going to be using next playthrough. It's the first male skin texture I've seen that's higher quality than XCE that I don't completely abhor the style of.
    -True Daughters of Skyrim (female only) - I only recently added this over XCE. It's a definite improvement, and doesn't stray into the airbrushed model look that nearly every other female skin texture does. The only other one I'd personally consider would be the Mature Skin Texture, but it isn't available for the vanilla body.
    -Forgotten Argonian Roots - This is pretty much where it starts and stops for Argonian textures. Dramatic improvement over vanilla.
    -SC Khajiit Improvement - Again, not a lot of options for Khajiit textures, but these are a huge improvement over vanilla. Coverkhajiit is kind of the only other option, but it only covers face textures.
    -Pretty Eyes - is one of the only eye textures I could find that doesn't stray from the vanilla styles for elf eyes, which is a priority for me, so that's what I'm using at the moment. High Quality Eyes (darker and desaturated) is just as good. They're XCE's eye textures, but the darker and desaturated option isn't included in XCE proper for some unfathomable reason.
    -Eye Normal Map Fix - This is a very subtle change. It inverts the eye normal map around the iris and pupil in order to give an illusion of their actual depth. Really awesome effect if you notice it.
    -Superior Lore Friendly Hair - Probably the most natural looking out of the various hair textures available. Sadly, there isn't much that can be done about the atrocious vanilla hair meshes. There's a mod around for a few higher poly vanilla hairs that look drastically better, but, because of the way the game stores facial data, getting them applied to NPCs involves re-exporting every NPC in your game from the construction set, the process of which seems like a gigantic pain in the ass. They'll work for the player character without hassle, though.

Other overhauls:
    -Ethereal Elven Overhaul (and a collection of patches) - The images don't do a great job of illustrating what this mod actually does. It basically makes elves look more in line with what they looked like in Morrowind. They look much less warped, more naturally proportioned, and all-around more believable.
    -RS Children Overhaul - Children aren't all potato-headed clones, have their intended races, and aren't super creepy like in every other mod that's tried to fix children.
    -Better Vampire Fangs and Eyes - Exactly what it says on the tin.
    -Dremora Looks Overhaul - Makes Dremora a bit more imposing.
    -Consistent Older People - Old people have old person bodies to match their old person faces.
    -Height Adjusted Races - NPCs in Skryim all have the same height. This mod restores height diversity to either Oblivion or Morrowind standards. I use the Morrowind version without giants. If you aren't using a camera mod (Enhanced Camera, Immersive First Person View), you can also use Player Size Adjuster and First Person Camera Fix to automatically lock your first person view to the correct height for your character's race, which is a major immersion boost.
    -Catlike Khajiit - A variety of different styles for Khajiit head meshes. Probably going to try it next playthrough. Don't know which version or if I'll keep it.

Facial changes for specific NPCs:
    -Aela Facelift - Doesn't give her a new face, just fixes her proportions to be more natural.
    -Mjoll Facelift - Ditto.
    -Delphine Makeover - Specifically the lore (D2) version. In the vanilla game, you wouldn't know that Delphine was nearly 60 without reading up on her in the Thalmor embassy. A lot more apparent with this mod. It also makes her look as grizzled as a woman with her history would. She's basically Geralt of Rivia now.
    -Skyrim NPCs Reimagined - Basically just for Vilkas, Farkas, Uthgerd, and Eola, who all get faces with significantly more personality than vanilla. I use Aela Facelift on top of this, and getting them to work together requires looking up Aela's ID and manually deleting the loose facegen files for her that Skyrim NPCs Reimagined installs. Otherwise, they'll overwrite the Aela Facelife .bsa and she'll get a blank face if you have the Aela Facelift .esp taking priority. I think the Mjoll Facelift uses loose files, which will just overwrite this mod's without any manual finagling, but I don't actually remember.

• Options
    Yeah, that airbrush look is what bothers me about a lot of mods. Same with sexy armor. It wouldn't be bad if you had a mod where aliens strange elves with sexy armor and barrier magic started invading and tearing up shit, it would make a weird kind of sense.

But the fact that most of the high quality female armor mods just dump them outside a central location without any attempt to make them lore friendly or at the end of a decent dungeon crawl is a source of frustration I've had with most of the content for other Bethesda games.

I truly loved Bethesda the moment I engaged that troll and my companion and the pilgrim we were escorting engaged it as well, with the pilgrim picking up a warhammer from its den. This proved useful as further down river, we strayed into a spawn point of a dragon, and after much re-loading, we managed to kill it together.

• Options
  • Options
    Why the fuck not, she looks awesome and seemed intimidating when my broke ass (why did I buy self sacrifice for 2000) ignored her.

Real talk though, where are the mods that let me wear more than one ring (morrowind let me do two >:( ) and where is a mod that lets me build and equip a small militia. Because with all this smithing I think I will be doing, I should have a few peons to give this shit to.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Why the fuck not, she looks awesome and seemed intimidating when my broke ass (why did I buy self sacrifice for 2000) ignored her.

Real talk though, where are the mods that let me wear more than one ring (morrowind let me do two >:( ) and where is a mod that lets me build and equip a small militia. Because with all this smithing I think I will be doing, I should have a few peons to give this shit to.

Advanced Follower Tweaks will let you recruit up to, I think, 30 NPCs and equip then as you see fit. You can tell any number of them to hangout at your house. You can also recruit NPCs that normally aren't recruitable but that can cause issues with quest NPCs.

There should be mods for multiple rings on the Nexus.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Real Ice
    SkyFalls+SkyMills
    Detailed Rugs
    Skyrim HD 2K
    Ruins Clutter Improved
    Better Dynamic Snow
    Pure Waters
    SMIM

You probably want to save your game inside in a place with minimal stuff first. then afterwards do the rest for 21 days thing to make sure everything resets. I've found that reduces the chances of a busted texture crashing things.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    where is a mod that lets me build and equip a small militia
    I linked to Mixed Unit Tactics a while ago, but I haven't had the time to try it out myself.

It's also not really something that I want in my personal Skyrim game - I don't even use regular followers, because I like being out by my lonesome. But I bet it'd be fun to mess around for a little bit with the abilities this mod provides

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    where is a mod that lets me build and equip a small militia
    I linked to Mixed Unit Tactics a while ago, but I haven't had the time to try it out myself.

It's also not really something that I want in my personal Skyrim game - I don't even use regular followers, because I like being out by my lonesome. But I bet it'd be fun to mess around for a little bit with the abilities this mod provides

Well, I suppose that's the next thing then. Look for content that would make it proactive to have an armed posse to help take down threats.

Bob! Go tickle that giant's mammoth, the rest of the squad will be right behind you.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    It just hit me that I have a computer that can run some graphical mods instead of my former status or barely running it at medium settings.

I've started up a small checklist, but yikes there's a lot of different info out there.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    bleh

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ugh why does photobucket suck so bad now