As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    the way to duel mages is to stun lock them then hack their heads off with a sword

The best is when some random mage challenges you to a duel and then complains when you use a bound weapon.

I don't know what you're talking about, man. *slash* This is totally a spell. *stab*

I've only ever been challenged once and it was on a spellsword. The fight did not unfold as the challenger imagined.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the best approach for mages is the freeze shout

• Options
    I also have Dragon Combat Overhaul on top of Deadly Dragons.

The creator of DCO is an uber douche but it adds a shockwave effect to their landing making beating on them when they land MUCH harder

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I also have Dragon Combat Overhaul on top of Deadly Dragons.

The creator of DCO is an uber douche but it adds a shockwave effect to their landing making beating on them when they land MUCH harder

I could try that but knowing me I'd just Bound Bow them to death instead.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    His civil war overhaul is one of the buggiest mods I've ever tried and yet he refuses to acknowledge that any of his mods could possibly have anything wrong with them.

But yeah, Dragon Combat Overhaul's pretty good.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Also, if you want dragons to be more of a challenge, set it so 2 or 3 of them ambush you every few days. You can do that in the Deadly Dragons MCM.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The bound bow is the strongest bow in the game. If you obtained that spell early on, that's why everything seems easy.

Even without the SPERG perks that enhance bound weapons, the vanilla bound bow is better than a daedric bow.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    There's a fort close Whiterun that's occupied by mages, it has a very well hidden Bound Bow spellbook in a bucket or basket, forget which. It's always there, and an easy way to get the spell at the beginning of the game.

Edit: It can be found in
    Fort Amol.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The bound bow is the strongest bow in the game. If you obtained that spell early on, that's why everything seems easy.

Even without the SPERG perks that enhance bound weapons, the vanilla bound bow is better than a daedric bow.

I only use it sparingly. Specifically when enemies just won't stop backpedaling or when dragons refuse to land. Otherwise it's Bound Swords all day, every day.

I need to go spell shopping and get some better closing tools than the shout. It works ok but it's easy to overshoot the target with it. Then I'll only need the bow for when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy and for popping dragons that aren't cooperating with my whole "shank all the things" plan.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Bound Bow is actually pretty well balanced in vanilla

it's comparable to a moderately smithed daedric, and has the side benefit of an infinite supply of daedric quality arrows

IIRC, the attack speed is also significantly higher than comparable standard bows

• Options
    Praetorian MagePraetorian Mage Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Speaking of obliterating things, I have Deadly Dragons on and I'm still ripping the random dragons in half. Are they inherently weak?

I'm pretty sure that Deadly Dragons defaults to vanilla settings for the dragons' stats, damage output, armor and magic resistance, etc. Check the MCM.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Elendil wrote: »
    Bound Bow is actually pretty well balanced in vanilla

it's comparable to a moderately smithed daedric, and has the side benefit of an infinite supply of daedric quality arrows

IIRC, the attack speed is also significantly higher than comparable standard bows

Well balanced as a high level weapon.

It's pretty game-breaking if you get it at low level and manage a set-up where you can afford to cast it.

-edit-

Hell, I'm not one of the people who sets the game up to be as harsh as possible, but I still stick with a hunting bow for the first 10 levels and then upgrade to something along the lines of elven. If you jump right in with a daedric weapon the game is not fun, even for me.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i honestly don't mind having an early option like that available. you really have to go out of your way to get it early, the mana cost is prohibitive at first, and in my case, i ran it on a light armor character with low smithing, so i could still get fucked up pretty bad. and you still need to develop your archery perks to get full power out of it.

it also has the disadvantage of being not nearly as good for the totally overpowered stealth archery playstyle, as it has a cast that makes noise

really, though, it's skyrim. it's as hard as you want to make it. playing with the difficulty bumped up a level or more, not smithing the hell out of stuff, only using daggers for stealth; that'll keep the game pretty interesting with or without an early daedric-tier weapon.

• Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular

Speaking of obliterating things, I have Deadly Dragons on and I'm still ripping the random dragons in half. Are they inherently weak?

I'm pretty sure that Deadly Dragons defaults to vanilla settings for the dragons' stats, damage output, armor and magic resistance, etc. Check the MCM.

Yes, deadly dragons needs to be tweaked in MCM to raise the dragons toughness. I can attest that the mod definitely makes dragon fights longer and more difficult. You will also need to duck around cover when you see them face you, because a blast of powered up dragon breath is headed your way.

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options

Ah, good to know. I'll have to fiddle with that after dinner.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Naturally, no dragons decided to show up last night but I did spend a lotta time dungeon crawling so there is that.

I slapped Revenge of the Enemies and High Level Enemies on because I'm a masochist and I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble leveling up Restoration now. I have to be way more on my toes in fights because the enemies are not having any of my shit and are hitting harder. I'm having to play more cautiously and fight smarter so it's made the combat a bit more my speed. The funny part is that since I need to keep cycling my left hand spell from offense to defense and back, my Conjuration is leveling even faster.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    So I noticed the hired thugs were heading toward me after I exited Fort Greymore after clearing it out. So I led them over to Sleeping Tree Camp and positioned myself so they would path right through the giant.

Predictable results followed.

• Options
    Naturally, no dragons decided to show up last night but I did spend a lotta time dungeon crawling so there is that.

I slapped Revenge of the Enemies and High Level Enemies on because I'm a masochist and I don't think I'm gonna have any trouble leveling up Restoration now. I have to be way more on my toes in fights because the enemies are not having any of my shit and are hitting harder. I'm having to play more cautiously and fight smarter so it's made the combat a bit more my speed. The funny part is that since I need to keep cycling my left hand spell from offense to defense and back, my Conjuration is leveling even faster.

I liked RoTE but beware it makes boss fights(like ones who are unique) VERY VERY VERY hard.

Dragon Priests will absolutely wreck your shit

• Options
    Dragon priests wreck my shit on vanilla unless I'm stacked to the tits with elemental resist.

• Options
    edited January 2015

I liked RoTE but beware it makes boss fights(like ones who are unique) VERY VERY VERY hard.

Full disclosure: I'm one of those psychos that mods the shit out of STALKER games because I think Master difficulty isn't hard enough. As long as I know I've got the tools to win the fight and not being cheesed to death I'm very ok with a game being ball crushingly hard. I kinda prefer it that way and my fun factor went way up after installing RoTE and HLE on top of ASIS. I'm gonna throw DCO on tonight because I basically won't be satisfied until playing Skyrim is equivalent to being tied up in a gimp suit and tossed in a footlocker.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that's the stuff. I slapped DCO on, fast traveled to Winterhold as part of the college quest chain and within a couple minutes I had a dragon flying around and carpet bombing the area with fire.

At night.

While it was snowing.

I could barely see the bastard and had a hell of a time keeping track of it. I eventually said fuck it, finished the thing I needed to do at Winterhold and then ran my ass off and hid inside the College. It felt a lot like a STALKER Blowout, only one I could shoot arrows at the few times I could actually see the damn thing.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Full disclosure: I'm one of those psychos that mods the shit out of STALKER games because I think Master difficulty isn't hard enough. As long as I know I've got the tools to win the fight and not being cheesed to death I'm very ok with a game being ball crushingly hard. I kinda prefer it that way and my fun factor went way up after installing RoTE and HLE on top of ASIS. I'm gonna throw DCO on tonight because I basically won't be satisfied until playing Skyrim is equivalent to being tied up in a gimp suit and tossed in a footlocker.

EDIT: Oh yeah, that's the stuff. I slapped DCO on, fast traveled to Winterhold as part of the college quest chain and within a couple minutes I had a dragon flying around and carpet bombing the area with fire.

At night.

While it was snowing.

I could barely see the bastard and had a hell of a time keeping track of it. I eventually said fuck it, finished the thing I needed to do at Winterhold and then ran my ass off and hid inside the College. It felt a lot like a STALKER Blowout, only one I could shoot arrows at the few times I could actually see the damn thing.
    Have you added OBIS yet?

RoTE + OBIS + DCO + Deadly Dragons is some good stuff.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Monger wrote: »

At night.

While it was snowing.

Have you added OBIS yet?

RoTE + OBIS + DCO + Deadly Dragons is some good stuff.

That looks sexy as fuck. Downloading right now.

I did my first named boss fight post-mod installation this evening. I went into the Ironbind Barrow and yeah, that was an absolute motherfucker of a fight BUT after figuring things out I won it quite handily. I did have to be a bit of a scumbag and lean on my Bound Bow, but in the process identified a few weakpoints in my playstyle that I'm going to shore up tomorrow. Specifically, I need to get something that will distract targets so I'll be picking up some summon spells to use as bait. I had some summon scrolls that worked a treat in that fight but I only had two of them so I couldn't keep a pinata up and running the whole time meaning I couldn't leverage my Bound Swords like I normally would. I got Become Ethereal out of it though which should help immensely with my closing on the target issues. Next up is to raid the Labyrinthium!

EDIT
    Bandit Patrols - SUPER BANDIT HELL EDITION
    EVERY SINGLE GOAT, FOX, DEER, GOAT, ELK, AND BUNNY IS REPLACED BY BANDITS.. WELCOME TO BANDIT HELL DO NOT USE THE OTHER BANDIT PATROL WITH THIS ONE, I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT PLAY A NEW GAME WITH THIS

I think I know what I'm installing after I beat the game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Because I know you guys want it... here, in a form by all appearances unaltered since first lovingly committed to the immortal embrace of the interwebs circa 1997, is a guide to nudity (whether you wish to seek it out or avoid it) in Daggerfall.

http://www.svatopluk.com/xroads/dfnudity.html

No need to ask how I found it, and no need to thank me. (You're welcome.)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dragon priests wreck my shit on vanilla unless I'm stacked to the tits with elemental resist.

Breton, dragonhide, stabby stabby.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Aaah, King Svatopluk's court.

It's STILL one of the major sources for Daggerfall information of all kinds, including how the game handles its palettes etc.

Also used to host the website of the guy doing that Daggerfall Unity Tools thing.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Because I know you guys want it... here, in a form by all appearances unaltered since first lovingly committed to the immortal embrace of the interwebs circa 1997, is a guide to nudity (whether you wish to seek it out or avoid it) in Daggerfall.

http://www.svatopluk.com/xroads/dfnudity.html

No need to ask how I found it, and no need to thank me. (You're welcome.)
    God bless the eternal memory of the internet that seminal works such as these shall not be lost to the relentless march of time.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Breton, dragonhide, stabby stabby.

I always play nords. :D

• Options
    ...Why?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Because Skyrim

• Options
    ...Why?

Well. Don't care for beast races. Can't stand elves.

In Morrowind I always played imperials, in Skyrim I always play nords.

Maybe in the next TES game I will only play redguards.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I almost always play Nords as well, though depending on my character concept, I might play Bretons or Imperials. I likewise can't stand to play beast races or elves... beast races just because I can't mentally connect with them, and elves because they look stupid as fuck, even with mods.

Nords tend to be my fighty characters, Imperials my sneaky characters, and Bretons my magey (and sometimes sneaky) characters. This is not set in stone, but that's how I tend to do it when I'm coming up with a character concept for my next (inevitably short) play of Skyrim.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I have a redguard that I straight up adore, even in the base combat engine.

Like, I don't have a look planned for her, she dosen't really fit into any of guilds.

She's just a merc. A merc from Hammerfel who's really, REALLY good at swords. Terrifyingly good. I joined the Thieves guild because I don't even remember why. Probably because Brynyolf promised money.

And on the first actual sneaking mission for the guild, I just simply MURDERED EVERYONE. No sneaking or backstabbing involved. Just "hi hay I'm here to end you k?" And then took their things. Because why sneak when you can fight some mercs?

Straight combat Thieves Guild may just be the best thing.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    ...Why?

Well. Don't care for beast races. Can't stand elves.

In Morrowind I always played imperials, in Skyrim I always play nords.

Maybe in the next TES game I will only play redguards.

Yeah, I've always played the "human" races because I identify with them better and just enjoy it more.

Also, faux-Scandinavians are the best for playing in faux-Scandinavia.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    In terms of game mechanics and bonuses though, they're a little boring.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man, a bunch of fantasy racists ITT.

• Options
    They call them the beast races for a reason

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Generally I play the native race of a province first in Elder Scrolls games. After that I usually only go Nord, Dunmer, Imperial, or Breton. None of the others are that interesting to me.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    More like best races amirite.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    More like best races amirite.

moar liek teh west races

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Breton always, because to hell with mages (unless I am one, then to hell with other mages).

I might play a beast race if a TES was set in one of their regions.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)