As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I have a redguard that I straight up adore, even in the base combat engine.

Like, I don't have a look planned for her, she dosen't really fit into any of guilds.

She's just a merc. A merc from Hammerfel who's really, REALLY good at swords. Terrifyingly good. I joined the Thieves guild because I don't even remember why. Probably because Brynyolf promised money.

And on the first actual sneaking mission for the guild, I just simply MURDERED EVERYONE. No sneaking or backstabbing involved. Just "hi hay I'm here to end you k?" And then took their things. Because why sneak when you can fight some mercs?

Straight combat Thieves Guild may just be the best thing.

I just did that for the first time last night in fact. Went all the way through Goldenglow just face-rolling everyone. Lit the beehives on fire, stood there with a sword and murdered everyone who came running up.

Went into the estate and slaughtered everyone, including Aringoth.

It was amusing but I do think I prefer treating it as a stealth mission.

-edit-

Normally I'm much lower level when I do that mission but I have been dicking around on Solstheim with this character and started to get frustrated by the overpowered monsters and general lack of interesting things to do there if you haven't actually initiated the main quest and become dragonborn so I resolved to level up and get stronk.

So I can go back and wreck ash spawn instead of running away and firing arrows and taking five minutes to kill one of them.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I have a redguard that I straight up adore, even in the base combat engine.

Like, I don't have a look planned for her, she dosen't really fit into any of guilds.

She's just a merc. A merc from Hammerfel who's really, REALLY good at swords. Terrifyingly good. I joined the Thieves guild because I don't even remember why. Probably because Brynyolf promised money.

And on the first actual sneaking mission for the guild, I just simply MURDERED EVERYONE. No sneaking or backstabbing involved. Just "hi hay I'm here to end you k?" And then took their things. Because why sneak when you can fight some mercs?

Straight combat Thieves Guild may just be the best thing.

I just did that for the first time last night in fact. Went all the way through Goldenglow just face-rolling everyone. Lit the beehives on fire, stood there with a sword and murdered everyone who came running up.

Went into the estate and slaughtered everyone, including Aringoth.

It was amusing but I do think I prefer treating it as a stealth mission.

-edit-

Normally I'm much lower level when I do that mission but I have been dicking around on Solstheim with this character and started to get frustrated by the overpowered monsters and general lack of interesting things to do there if you haven't actually initiated the main quest and become dragonborn so I resolved to level up and get stronk.

So I can go back and wreck ash spawn instead of running away and firing arrows and taking five minutes to kill one of them.

I have found this is a very elegant way to break the game.

Skyrim's base system actually rewards you for being hilariously single-minded. My Redguard is level 10, but is like, level 60+ in One-handed, because literally all I've done is kill bandits and take odd jobs and completing them in the most stabby way possible, REALLY FAST with weapons I just find lying on the ground. Her skill is so beyond what's normally possible at that level that a place that's designed to be impossible to fight through, like Goldenglow, IS possible to murder your way through, because she's TOO GOOD at swords.

It's an incredibly gratifying experience.

The game actually does punish you for dabbling in too many things at once, because you end up artificially pumping up your level while not actually being good enough to kill things at that level. It totally forces you not to dabble, but to focus on certain things or else you'll run into HP sponges later and you don't have the skill/equipment to deal with them.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Breton always, because to hell with mages (unless I am one, then to hell with other mages).

I might play a beast race if a TES was set in one of their regions.

Morrowind trained me to always, always, always run a Breton in TES games

Easier access to the Boots of Blinding Speed and city-killing spells? Sold!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My first character ever, in Oblivion, was an orc - because I wanted to go warrior (nice and simple), and the notion of one of the 'Pariah Folk' ending up as the savior of the Empire appealed. I then rolled a Breton for the mage and thief questlines, a Khajiit for the assassins, a Redguard for the arena, an Imperial legionnaire for another run at the main quest and then Knights of the Nine, and finally a Dunmer for Shivering Isles. I much prefer making focused characters to polymaths who do everything the game offers.

My Nerevarine was a Nord, both for the irony factor (again) and because my early reading suggested that it would fit Indoril Nerevar's spirit. Oblivion's lore tells us he went off to Akavir. For Skyrim, I've brought his bloodline home, with my first character of a custom race: a Dragonguard, fated to destroy Alduin, defeat the rebellion, and restore what passes for her order in these lands (the Blades)... before being betrayed and murdered by her "allies", just as her ancestor was.

(My next Skyrim character, if I ever get back to the game, will probably be a Bosmer archer for doing the thief and possibly the assassin lines.)

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I just like to try different characters all the time, so I can't even fathom always choosing the same race. That would bore me.

However, beast races look dumb, so I never choose them.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    I just like to try different characters all the time, so I can't even fathom always choosing the same race. That would bore me.

However, beast races look dumb, so I never choose them.

Not only do I always play the same race but I have the face I liked saved in the improved race menu mod and I always start from that.

I mean, I change up the beard stubble sometimes and sometimes do warpaint but it's pretty much always the same dude. But I worked really hard making my super hot not-viking so I'm gonna use that face erry time!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i ended up warming up to argonians after i ran one as an unarmed dude

you know what makes suplexes more radical

being a dinosaur

khajit are totes for furries tho

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i ended up warming up to argonians after i ran one as an unarmed dude

you know what makes suplexes more radical

being a dinosaur

khajit are totes for furries tho

ESO beast races are just better characterized than in past ES games. Razum'dar is great, and you get to delve more into Argonian culture than seen so far.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My main Skyrim character is always a Nord, because my head canon is that after putting down the Stormcloaks and killing Alduin she goes on to become High Queen then eventually starts a new line of Dragonborn Tamriellic Emperors.

Kicking the Aldmeri Dominion's ass is somewhere in there as well.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I picked Dark Elf because I can set myself on fire as a racial ability and go punch people in the face. While on fire. Because fuck you that's why.

Also, being able to stand in dragon fire and ask them in a bored voice "are you done yet?" is amusing.

Oh, and because my Morrowind character was a Redguard and I already known they're badass as fuck so I wanted to try something different.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Redguards are always my first pick. Bonuses to heavy armor, smithing, and one handed? Yessir I do like it.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    One handed is fine for stealthy backstabby characters but if I'm meeting people head on nothing beats two handed.

Lets see, shall I thump my sword against that guy's shield 10 times before I start doing damage or two-shot him right through his shield with a warhammer.

hmmmmmm

Oh wait that's an easy choice

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    This got a chuckle from me last night. During the DB quest where you're pretending to be the Gourmet:

?.jpg

• Options
    Has everyone actually read "Uncommon Taste"? Its pretty much mocking celebrity chefs in general. His "recipe" is just a soup stock followed by a lot of hand waving and nonsense that ends with him basically saying finish it yourself.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Has everyone actually read "Uncommon Taste"? Its pretty much mocking celebrity chefs in general. His "recipe" is just a soup stock followed by a lot of hand waving and nonsense that ends with him basically saying finish it yourself.

I like how when the cook is asking you how to make it and you choose remain silent, she thinks you're testing her and she adds what ingredient she thinks should go next. You can basically say nothing for the whole conversation with her doing all of the work and at the end she'll say what an honor it was working with you.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Hey so I got out of the starting dungeon of Daggerfall.

I somehow made it to a town and found a general store and sold a portion of my loot.

Now... what... do I do?

Help?

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    august wrote: »

I somehow made it to a town and found a general store and sold a portion of my loot.

Now... what... do I do?

Help?

Yeeesssss

Alternate Answer: Welcome to Elder Scrolls.

Transporter on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm digging on Dragon Combat Overhaul. Not due to difficulty but because the assaults are just kinda boring. I like the alterations to the individual dragons but multiples just don't have any sense of terror to them. Instead it's basically just "play more defensively, take two or three times as long to finish the fight.". So just kind of a meh slog, basically.

Part of the problem is that getting out of the fight is as easy as transitioning to a new zone. It takes the tension away when you can just wait the dragons out after zoning.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This is how I initially misread it:
    I somehow made it to a town and found a general store and sold a portion of my foot

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    This is how I initially misread it:
    I somehow made it to a town and found a general store and sold a portion of my foot

That surely sounds like Elder Scrolls.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    There's probably a mod for it.

• Options
    One handed is fine for stealthy backstabby characters but if I'm meeting people head on nothing beats two handed.

Lets see, shall I thump my sword against that guy's shield 10 times before I start doing damage or two-shot him right through his shield with a warhammer.

hmmmmmm

Oh wait that's an easy choice

I actually prefer one-handed because it lets me dance in and out of range, punishing each missed swing.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Now... what... do I do?

Help?

If you're playing the game blind... see you in a few years, I guess. If you don't run into one of the many game-ending dead ends along the way.

I love that game and played through it myself last year, but holy hell I don't know how anyone ever beat it on their own with no outside knowledge.

e: I mean I played it when it first came out as well, and while I distinctly remember becoming high level and getting full sets of daedric, joining various guilds, etc, I never even got past maybe the first or second stage of the main quest.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah I forgot how god damn cryptic ES quests used to be. Even in Morrowind it could be a pain in the ass.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I forgot how god damn cryptic ES quests used to be. Even in Morrowind it could be a pain in the ass.

Morrowind came with a paper map that had every single dungeon in the game on it if you look closely, as well as various points of interest. When I played it I had that thing pinned to my wall, and after every dungeon I cleared and area explored I would put a little ripped piece of tape over it indicating I had finished it.

Hell, I even used the in-game names of the daedric ruins to do the letter-replacement translation of the daedric alphabet they use on the map to label them.

I got deeper into that game than I have most others since. I wouldn't have the patience for that sort of thing now.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Morrowind came with a paper map that had every single dungeon in the game on it if you look closely, as well as various points of interest. When I played it I had that thing pinned to my wall, and after every dungeon I cleared and area explored I would put a little ripped piece of tape over it indicating I had finished it.

Hell, I even used the in-game names of the daedric ruins to do the letter-replacement translation of the daedric alphabet they use on the map to label them.

I got deeper into that game than I have most others since. I wouldn't have the patience for that sort of thing now.

Given how fast travel was broken into multiple systems, you needed to see what cities had the silt strider markings on that map and which didn't.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Oh man I forgot about the Molag Amur trenches. Navigating there was such a pain.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Wow that map hits right in the nostalgia.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I got a used copy of Morrowind years ago for the Xbox, I really could have used a map like that. It was a game I'd heard about so much, but without knowing what it was.

It took a long time to get into, but back then I had so much free time. That was a great summer.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Like there were some nifty things

Like the only way to really find the shipwrecks were using that map. And they all had super good artifact level loot in them

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Grand soul gem, shipwreck just east of khuul.

• Options
    Oh you sons of bitches.

You soooons of bitches.

Look at me, reinstalling Morrowind.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    So you can spend a bunch of time modding it before realizing it's hard to back to after Skyrim?

At least, that's what happens to me every year or two.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Marksmen mod is life, cliff racers scatter the ground like dead leaves.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Still no word on VI?

Dammit. Everytime this thread gets double digit new posts my hopes get up.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Cliff Racer Remover was the first TES mod I ever installed.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I just reinstalled Oblivion and modded it to get not terrible graphics/UI (remember when Oblivion was jaw dropping?). I am going to make a strong effort to go through the main story so at least I have done that.. we'll see how that turns out.

At the very least it has renewed my appreciation for the standardisation we have in Skyrim modding (supporting NMM/MO, in particular)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So I'm sure lots of people here use Live Another Life so as not to have to do the carriage ride and such in the beginning, and maybe some also use Death Alternative and its Captured addon, which is a cool mod that creates alternate scenarios when your character is defeated.

But now there's a mod that lets you combine them! Death Alternative - Alternate Start Addon. DA - Captured has added some new scenarios, and I started a character last night to test one of them, which is being captured by the Thalmor. It's an interesting way to start a character, though I found the built-in mini-game just a tad too random. But this alternate start mod basically lets you start the game in any of the 'captured' scenarios, so the first thing you have to do is escape, and then of course find yourself some gear. I find it a pretty cool alternative to the 'left for dead' alternate start, which is often the one I use.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Grand soul gem, shipwreck just east of khuul.

One on the west coast pretty for to the starting town has a ring that's like 20 will and 20 intelligence. Something a Mage char will probably keep the whole game

• Options
    First thing I always did was murder the pawn store owner in Balmora and take that silver longsword.

Wasn't even a particularly good move, just tradition.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg