As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Pre-Registration Numbers for PAX

Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
Wow, this is fucking huge to say the least.

GGXX - 88 players
MKDD - 273 players
Halo - 187 players (many of these likely represent an entire team)
SC2 - 257 players
SCPT - 80 players
SSBM - 319 players

Total - 1204 players

I'm now going to separate each game into pools and seed by state/province and city.

Born to Duck
Zig21 on

• Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    how many people have registered total?

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Hey Zig, in case you already didn't know this is Bryan. If you still needed help with managing the sc2 tournament or whatever, I'd be willing to help out.
    Dude can't believe the numbers... Mario Kart with 273?

Looks like each tournament will set a new northwest record for size.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    That's massive :shock:

Are there any prizes for winning the tourneys?

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Top placers win tickets, which they can then "spend" on their choice of prizes from a collection of stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know what the prizes are exactly. :?

Brian-Northwest record nothing. This is going to be the largest SC2 tournament ever, and I wouldn't be surprised if we set a new record for GGXX as well.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    Top placers win tickets, which they can then "spend" on their choice of prizes from a collection of stuff.

Ooooh, sounds like Chuck 'E' Cheese.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    Wow, this is fucking huge to say the least.

GGXX - 88 players
    MKDD - 273 players
    Halo - 187 players (many of these likely represent an entire team)
    SC2 - 257 players
    SCPT - 80 players
    SSBM - 319 players

Total - 1204 players

I'm now going to separate each game into pools and seed by state/province and city.
    Is that accurate? I mean don't lots of people register for more than one tournament?

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    It doesn't represent how many people are actually coming, especially since many people didn't register for tourney's or are only registering for PC game tourneys. The numbers just represent how large the tournaments will be, nothing more, nothing less.

terrix on
  • Options
    Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    oh, gotcha

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Uhm, you guys DO know you had to pay to pre-register, right? :? That means these numbers are going to be fairly accurate, unless a bunch of people suddenly felt like wasting $25.

Any major fluctuations will likely come from sign ups the day-of, and if players either decide to not play in a tourney or are unable to for whatever reason.

Also, Halo's numbers aren't entirely accurate, due to the fact that players were supposed to have just one person sign up for an entire team.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Zig21 wrote:
    Uhm, you guys DO know you had to pay to pre-register, right? :? That means these numbers are going to be fairly accurate, unless a bunch of people suddenly felt like wasting $25.

Any major fluctuations will likely come from sign ups the day-of, and if players either decide to not play in a tourney or are unable to for whatever reason.

Also, Halo's numbers aren't entirely accurate, due to the fact that players were supposed to have just one person sign up for an entire team.

Understood, of course. It looks like the tournaments are going to be quite large - are they going to be able to operate with those numbers or shall be there some sort of qualification rounds to go through first to make it more manageable?

I think what was posted before on the thread was an explanation that this doesn't represent the total number of people who pre-registered for PAX. Just the numbers for the tournaments. There are people, like me, who aren't entered in any of these tournaments (hence I'm not counted up there) but DID preregister and paid for it :D

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • Options
    KyleGKyleG Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Zig21 wrote:

Wait, what? I'm confused. Are you saying that the preregistration fee was only to enter the tournaments? It has nothing to do with getting into PAX itself?

KyleG on
  • Options
    PinnochioPinnochio Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    KyleG wrote:
    Zig21 wrote:

Wait, what? I'm confused. Are you saying that the preregistration fee was only to enter the tournaments? It has nothing to do with getting into PAX itself?

No, he means your benefit of Pre-rigstering was to pay for PAX cheaper, and get into the tournaments you wanted by pre-registering for them...

Pinnochio on
    I can't get enough of my wang jousting....
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited August 2004
    Too bad I can't make the Smash Bros. Tournament, now. :P

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    DarthMat wrote:

I'm confused, I thought people could still sign up the day of?

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    I haven't been playing guilty gear x to practice, so yeah my ass is getting kicked in my first match. ;_;

Unknown User on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    duderdude2 wrote:
    DarthMat wrote:

I'm confused, I thought people could still sign up the day of?

You can still.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Heck, they were free to sign up for...

I'm going into the double dash tournament. Have I ever played double dash? NO! But I am an addict of Mario Kart 64, so hopefully I'll make my goal of getting to the second round.

I reckon a lot of people did the same thing... joined the tournaments because the games are fun, and just because they can.

~\A/~

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!