As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    I honestly don't mean this to sound condescending, but sometimes I wonder if any member of the gaming media has kids.

I don't understand, even if you've got other platforms and have been inundated with shooters, how you couldn't see the inherent value in a multiplayer 'shooter' that is entirely non violent and accessible to all ages.

EDIT: It just seems like any time any site is covering anything on the WiiU, the universality of any given game is ignored, and if anyone says anything about kids, it's in the most derogatory 'kiddie game' sense possible. It almost never seems to be "this is a game that offers a co-op experience that you can enjoy with your entire family, that aboslutely no other game, or platform, offers at all".

Because many people in "nerd cultures" want things they loved as children to "grow up with them", rather than share them with a new generation while possibly enjoying it on its own merits. You see this alot with superhero comics.

'Core' gamers are the worst. And I am probably in that group. There is plenty of room for different genres and styles of games for everyone. The idea that everything has to be dark or mature is irritating.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    A "mature" gamer can play any game with any theme as long as it's fun (like the Mario and LEGO games). Immature gamers can only play the "dark/gritty" games because they're afraid of how playing light-hearted games might make them look.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Fortune Street is great, but then again I'm one of those crazy people that really digs Monopoly.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Fortune Street is great, but then again I'm one of those crazy people that really digs Monopoly.

I'm calling a police.

Dokapon Kingdom is the only video Monopoly-type game I've found worth playing. Culdcept is a close second but takes itself too seriously.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    The only thing I liked about Fortune Street was the blending of Mario and Dragon Quest. Other than that... It was okay.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Well the other issue is that kids do not want games that are for babbies either. They want to play the big boy games with guns.

But I think Splatoon hits just enough punk notes to be cool, instead of childish.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Well the other issue is that kids do not want games that are for babbies either. They want to play the big boy games with guns.

But I think Splatoon hits just enough punk notes to be cool, instead of childish.

That's because games for babies are not fun for them. They're far too simplistic. "Childish" is not a negative; hell, Katamari was childish.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    A "mature" gamer can play any game with any theme as long as it's fun (like the Mario and LEGO games). Immature gamers can only play the "dark/gritty" games because they're afraid of how playing light-hearted games might make them look.

When I had to stay up at my parents one weekend, I took my PS3 with me of course and my mother saw me playing one of the Bioshock games, and was all upset about how violent it was, so I took it out and switched in Ni No Kuni instead.

She was even more upset about me playing Ni No Kuni. I remember it went something like

"All that shooting and blood is one thing, but why are you playing this? Why would you play some little kiddie game? You too grown up for this, this is just disturbing."

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

When I had to stay up at my parents one weekend, I took my PS3 with me of course and my mother saw me playing one of the Bioshock games, and was all upset about how violent it was, so I took it out and switched in Ni No Kuni instead.

She was even more upset about me playing Ni No Kuni. I remember it went something like

"All that shooting and blood is one thing, but why are you playing this? Why would you play some little kiddie game? You too grown up for this, this is just disturbing."

I don't even know how to respond to this without feeling like an ass...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'd say a lot of the problem lies with the idea that a 'kiddie' game can't be complex or otherwise engaging to anyone but small children.

It's a profoundly false stereotype, and if the history of gaming has proven anything, it's that complexity of content has virtually nothing to do with the 'maturity' of a game.

Nintendo has proven this time and time again.

But I'm just preaching to the choir here.

I've just been thinking about it more lately since my daughter is old enough to start being able to participate in games that are more than actual kids games.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting at least one pro controller as well.

My soon to be 4 year old hates using a wiimote in the side held position(anecdotal, i know) and can handle a dual stick controller just fine. And i like having one when playing games that don't require the pad to save the wear and tear on the pad.

Have you considered trying something like this?

JOYTECH-Controller-Grip-1.jpg

doesn't look like amazon sells those anymore (well, that model)

That's just the first thing I saw on Google Images. A dozen different variations exist of a similar product.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    lol what?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/18/gamescom-2014-splatoon-why-i-wish-it-was-a-different-game
    [...]the Nintendo I fell in love with was a risky bunch of creative-types that didn’t mind eschewing from the industry norm. But while Splatoon is a good-looking new take on the traditional 5v5 multiplayer that’s been along for what seems like forever, I can’t help but wish it were something different.
    I wish Splatoon were a single-player, character-based platforming adventure akin to Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the original Jak & Daxter.

Does this article make sense to you?

"Do something different and new...like make it a single player platformer!

Silly Goose of an article.

I can almost see how those quotes could make sense if Splatoon was an Xbox or Playstation game or something.

"Another goddamn shooter? Let's have some platforming up in here for once."

But, you know, it's for the Wii U, very nearly the last refuge of the non-indie platform game, so...

No, I don't get it.

IGN.

They're not exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity or quality.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    My wife is a middle school teacher and the kids always get excited when they find out she plays video games. Then they get a utterly confused when she says she doesn't like Call of Duty.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    IGN.

Well, one dude at IGN.
    McFlynn wrote: »
    My wife is a middle school teacher and the kids always get excited when they find out she plays video games. Then they get a utterly confused when she says she doesn't like Call of Duty.

And then they are right there with her again when she says she likes Minecraft right? :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    Yeah the Wii U is the console to get for the family. My kids use it for Netflix all the time and my 6 yo girl has recently really started getting into it playing Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Fortune Street(Wii), Nintendoland, and Game and Wario on it.

How is Fortune Street? I've seen that come up before as a game people recommend.

It ruins friendships and marriages, and severs familial bonds.

And that's if you're playing it right.

So it's like Mario Kart, but a board game.

So, like Dokapon Kingdom, but more board game-y?

Yeah, that sounds about right. You can't be quite as vicious, but Dokapon is a bit exceptional in that area. Think monopoly with a bunch of extra rules.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    IGN.

Well, one dude at IGN.

Let's be fair... it's most dudes at IGN :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    It's set in stone: I'm getting the Wii U Mario Kart 8 bunduru for my birthday. My 35th birthday. And you know what? I'm fucking excited, man...

I've watched as shots were fired from the Sony camp over at the MS camp (1080p this, 60fps that... only GDDR3? How gauche!) , I've seen the trailers for all the coolest dudebro shooters and I've certainly almost always thought "Wow, that looks like an engrossing experience! Wow, those are some damn good graphics!" But one thing I can't recall thinking for a long time while looking at a trailer for a new game was "Wow, that looks like fun!" I've been watching Let's Plays and trailers for the current and upcoming Wii U games and I've found myself consistently saying "Wow, that looks like fun!"

I can't wait to get this thing next month and show my son how I started gaming and hopefully get him engaged as well. I think Super Mario 3D World would be pretty damn fun with him :)

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    So last night I was slightly intoxicated, checked my bank account, and saw I had more money than expected.

So I ordered a refurb Wii-U, Monster Hunter 3, and Zombi-U. Guess I'm on this train now.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    @Raiden333 let us know how you like ZombiU. I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts on the game.

• Options
    Locust76 wrote: »
    But one thing I can't recall thinking for a long time while looking at a trailer for a new game was "Wow, that looks like fun!" I've been watching Let's Plays and trailers for the current and upcoming Wii U games and I've found myself consistently saying "Wow, that looks like fun!"

Did you own a Wii? That was more or less the Wii's policy as well. Tons of great software for you to pick up for it as well if you haven't owned one yet.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    @Raiden333 let us know how you like ZombiU. I'm always interested in hearing people's thoughts on the game.

For sure. Always wanted to play it since seeing the GB quick look.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Locust76 wrote: »
    It's set in stone: I'm getting the Wii U Mario Kart 8 bunduru for my birthday. My 35th birthday. And you know what? I'm fucking excited, man...

I've watched as shots were fired from the Sony camp over at the MS camp (1080p this, 60fps that... only GDDR3? How gauche!) , I've seen the trailers for all the coolest dudebro shooters and I've certainly almost always thought "Wow, that looks like an engrossing experience! Wow, those are some damn good graphics!" But one thing I can't recall thinking for a long time while looking at a trailer for a new game was "Wow, that looks like fun!" I've been watching Let's Plays and trailers for the current and upcoming Wii U games and I've found myself consistently saying "Wow, that looks like fun!"

I can't wait to get this thing next month and show my son how I started gaming and hopefully get him engaged as well. I think Super Mario 3D World would be pretty damn fun with him :)
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So last night I was slightly intoxicated, checked my bank account, and saw I had more money than expected.

So I ordered a refurb Wii-U, Monster Hunter 3, and Zombi-U. Guess I'm on this train now.

HMRXyyp.jpg

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Did you own a Wii? That was more or less the Wii's policy as well. Tons of great software for you to pick up for it as well if you haven't owned one yet.

I did not. I've played on a Wii and had ridiculous amounts of fun with it, but I've never owned one. That's part of the reason why I am going for the Wii U right now, because of backwards compatibility with the Wii catalog (as well as NES, SNES, etc.. etc..). I will be able to catch up on a lot of things I missed that happened since I stopped playing Nintendo regularly around the N64 era.

(I had a PS3 that I used exclusively as a glorified Blu-Ray player and DLNA streaming device, but only really because in 2008 the PS3 was the best damn Blu-Ray player on the market. Because my wife is a TV junkie, I was never really able to sit down and play a game on the damn thing.)

Locust76 on
  • Options
    Good news! With off-screen play you can enjoy most of the games while she watches TV. :)

• Options
    EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
    TOTALLY RANDOM NINTENDO RELATED THOUGHT - this is the best place to post my thought.

"Why hasn't the axe from the end of every King Koopa fight in SMB1 ever appeared in another Mario game? He IS cutting the rope to destroy the lava bridge right? It's the one Mario item that never became iconic, and yet there it is - the main way to defeat the bosses in the most famous Mario game ever!"

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Good news! With off-screen play you can enjoy most of the games while she watches TV. :)

For me, that was kind of like a "holy shit, it can do that?" kind of feature.

• Options
    Embassy wrote: »
    TOTALLY RANDOM NINTENDO RELATED THOUGHT - this is the best place to post my thought.

"Why hasn't the axe from the end of every King Koopa fight in SMB1 ever appeared in another Mario game? He IS cutting the rope to destroy the lava bridge right? It's the one Mario item that never became iconic, and yet there it is - the main way to defeat the bosses in the most famous Mario game ever!"

I thought it was just a fancy looking turn handle to make the bridge go down myself. I never thought it was an axe.

• Options
    I thought it was an axe too, but can't you jump over it and still beat the level without killing "bowser"?

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgACcUDttQ0

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LiquidatorLiquidator Registered User regular
    Is Super Mario 3D World considered a "proper" Mario title akin to Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy? If not, are we expecting a "proper" Mario game for the Wii U?

• Options
    Liquidator wrote: »
    Is Super Mario 3D World considered a "proper" Mario title akin to Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy? If not, are we expecting a "proper" Mario game for the Wii U?

Yes it is a proper Mario title.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I'm...I'm not sure how 3D world could be considered anything but a proper Mario.

But if for some reason it's not your bag (and if so you should go sit in the corner and reassess your life), there's NSMBU which is a 'proper' 2D Mario.

I'm sure we'll see at least another major Mario game in the life of the WiiU too.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Normally I dislike it when people take something that's normally family-friendly and make it violent and/or vulgar for comedic/shock value. I also really dislike Dorkly. So by all accounts, I should hate that video, but it was pretty good.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

MH3U or just Tri?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I don't actually own a Wii U (yet) so I've never played Super Mario 3D World. I suppose I was thinking that 3D World was more of an offshoot to the "main" Super Mario games: 64, Sunshine, Galaxy -- being that it is a sequel to the 3DS game and includes local multiplayer that the others titles did not. I guess it just seemed to differentiate itself from the main titles (in my eyes), but I stand corrected!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The only reason I could see the argument made that Mario 3d World isn't the "proper" Mario is that traditionally Nintendo has released a new Mario series for each console that is completely disconnected from other versions...

Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy

So I can see where a game that follows the naming conventions and gameplay of a 3DS title could easily not be seen as the real flagship Mario game the Wii U should get. It's an amazing game, but I do hope we get something completely fresh and new for the Wii U as well.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

MH3U or just Tri?

Ultimate

• Options
    The only reason I could see the argument made that Mario 3d World isn't the "proper" Mario is that traditionally Nintendo has released a new Mario series for each console that is completely disconnected from other versions...

Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy

So I can see where a game that follows the naming conventions and gameplay of a 3DS title could easily not be seen as the real flagship Mario game the Wii U should get. It's an amazing game, but I do hope we get something completely fresh and new for the Wii U as well.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I wanted to say and what I was thinking in my head.

What originally got me was the gameplay. It appeared that 3D World was not structured the same way that the other flagship (3D) titles were. It has been a while since I played Super Mario World back on the SNES, but starting with Super Mario 64 and continuing on with Sunshine and the Galaxy titles, Nintendo changed the structure of the games.

Each title had a core hub world that connected the player to the various main gameplay worlds like Bianco Hills and Gelato Beach in Sunshine, and the Good Egg and Honeyhive galaxies in Super Mario Galaxy. You could visit these areas multiple times and each time you did, there was a different objective so your path through the world would change each time. From what I've seen of 3D World in gameplay videos and reviews, it doesn't adhere to the paradigm that Nintendo set for the flagship 3D titles of each of the previous generations.

Of course, just because 3D World doesn't (appear to) have the same structure as the previous games doesn't necessarily imply that it should not fall into the main/flagship series bucket. In my mind, 3D World just does not come across as one of the "main" games, hence my original comment. I'll certainly be picking up a copy when I grab a Wii U here with the next month or two and I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy it.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

It's in NSMBU.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BTW, can anyone personally vouch for a 3rd party pro-controller that reverses the placement of the right stick and face buttons so it's more like every other controller? The official pro controller looks really uncomfortable.