As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• DversedDversed Registered User regular
    I always thought a modern Metroid would have a similar style to the Batman games. Just with a Nintendo polish.

But if it had the fast pace of Vanquish, using gadgets like the batman games...I want a new Metroid

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I couldn't own Gargoyles Quest, Ghosts and Goblins, or Demons Crest when I was young because they were "evil games made by satanists to convert children."

Most of my games I had to hide, sneak in from friends, and play when I knew they wouldn't see them.

I want to make a joke about them being right and it converting you into devilish-gayness, but I don't want to risk someone not taking it as a lighthearted joke. It's really funny though, in my head. My parents were the same way about stuff like Extreme Ghostbusters or when they said "evolution" in Pokemon. Hell, I sat my mom down to explain the band Barenaked Ladies to her preemptively so I didn't get in trouble for that.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dversed wrote: »
    I always thought a modern Metroid would have a similar style to the Batman games. Just with a Nintendo polish.

But if it had the fast pace of Vanquish, using gadgets like the batman games...I want a new Metroid

I only ever played the demo, but shapeshifting gun kind of meshes nicely with mode-changing arm cannon.

Yeah, I would be all over a Platinum Metroid. If they were able to get Platinum and Retro to work together (Platinum doing combat and such, Retro handling world design and all) I might have hope for this series yet. By which I mean preorder the second it was announced.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I just imagined Arkham-style fighting with gadgets in, say, The Legend of Zelda, and drooled a little.

• dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I only ever played the demo, but shapeshifting gun kind of meshes nicely with mode-changing arm cannon.

Yeah, I would be all over a Platinum Metroid. If they were able to get Platinum and Retro to work together (Platinum doing combat and such, Retro handling world design and all) I might have hope for this series yet. By which I mean preorder the second it was announced.

Yeah. Call it a spin off if you must. A more action'ey take on Samus and the Metroid universe. Hell you don't even need to have any metroids in it whatsoever. Just let me kick some butt with a bad ass bounty hunter, a customizable weapon array (her suit and arm cannon can change to take on new weapons) and give me a box of tissues ... for blowing my ... nose. Pervs.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Arkham Asylum is basically Batroid already. And that's why I love it.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I just imagined Arkham-style fighting with gadgets in, say, The Legend of Zelda, and drooled a little.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Alrighty then.

• DversedDversed Registered User regular
    I love Skyward Sword but I'm excited to have a more traditional control scheme in the new Zelda

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I really wish that in Wind Waker HD you could control items like the grappling hook with the left stick the way you did on GameCube, instead of the right stick

For example, I used to hold down the Y button to go into the first-person view for the grappling hook, hover over my target and release, and Link would throw the grappling hook

Now, I have to press Y to pull it out, use the right stick to find my spot, and then press Y again

They had such a perfect system in place for it before

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Can't you gyro aim?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

The worst possible solution!

It's not a huge deal, it just annoys me in boss fights that rely on the mechanic

I like gyro aiming. It's why I didn't buy the Wii U version of Revelations.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Gyro aiming was awesome in OoT3D though I didn't use it in Wind Waker.

I probably should have. Guess I will in my next playthrough.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Gyro-aiming seems like it would be completely awful on paper, but I found that it was both more satisfying and faster for me than control stick aiming in OoT3D. I imagine it would be the same in Wind Waker.

If the new Zelda doesn't carry over much of the Skyward Sword stuff, I would at least appreciate some gyro functionality.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    I hope the new Zelda takes cues from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 and uses the Game Pad for basically nothing at all

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I hope the new Zelda takes cues from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 and uses the Game Pad for basically nothing at all

I wouldn't mind if it did exactly what the second screen did in OoT3D.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

This saddens me massively. Nintendo introduces this great innovative controller and guys are specifically asking for them to ignore it.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Nintendoland feels like it should be the appetizer before a full course of great tablet-controller games, not the main course. I'd like to see Nintendo pushing the tablet controller a bit more.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

This saddens me massively. Nintendo introduces this great innovative controller and guys are specifically asking for them to ignore it.

I'm not convinced that the gamepad is an innovative controller since I haven't seen any games that prove what you're claiming. Nintendo is doing a fine job ignoring the gamepad already.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I'm not convinced that the gamepad is an innovative controller since I haven't seen any games that prove what you're claiming. Nintendo is doing a fine job ignoring the gamepad already.

It's a solution looking for a problem. I'm starting to think that Nintendo's software people don't really interact with their hardware people, because I think they would have told them "We don't know what to do with that thing." That's what their games are telling me, at least.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    If the pad is only ever used for off screen play purposes then I'd still be happy. I've played through almost the entire of 3D world on the pad due to our new daughter hogging the TV and it's been perfect.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Gyro aiming was awesome in OoT3D though I didn't use it in Wind Waker.

I probably should have. Guess I will in my next playthrough.

It was great in Wind Waker too and I really hope they bring it back for the new Zelda.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

We don't even need to take it that broad and talk about innovation.

OoT 3D and Wind Waker both demonstrate the perfect way to use a second screen in a Zelda game, and UV says the next Zelda game should not do those things. That is specifically what needs to be criticized.

Next Zelda needs to utilize it just like the others, it's very convenient.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    While I can't name a single player game that the Gamepad is that useful or innovative for yet, as a multiplayer device I think it's wonderful. The Nintendoland Zelda, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Chase games are all super fun in groups and would not be possible prior to the Gamepad. The Pictionary game in Wario Ware is absolutely brilliantly done as well.

I really don't think that Nintendo planned on the Gamepad being that much of an innovation in the single player game area - all their real great ideas seem to be coming out in the asymmetrical multiplayer stuff. I think this makes sense given that for many people the Wii was a social system for things like Wii Sports or Wii Play or Carnival Games so maybe Nintendo thought they could capitalize on the "party system" reputation.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I couldn't own Gargoyles Quest, Ghosts and Goblins, or Demons Crest when I was young because they were "evil games made by satanists to convert children."

Most of my games I had to hide, sneak in from friends, and play when I knew they wouldn't see them.

I want to make a joke about them being right and it converting you into devilish-gayness, but I don't want to risk someone not taking it as a lighthearted joke. It's really funny though, in my head. My parents were the same way about stuff like Extreme Ghostbusters or when they said "evolution" in Pokemon. Hell, I sat my mom down to explain the band Barenaked Ladies to her preemptively so I didn't get in trouble for that.

Well Dante certainly didn't help any.

90% of the time its relegated to being your map or your menu. The best thing it can do, is be a source of off screen play. But is that innovative? No. Is that worth the money that went into each Gamepad instead of putting that money somewhere else like say.... a bigger Hard Drive, slightly better techno-guts, or a significantly lower price? Probably not, no.

They didn't give the Wii U the Gamepad as some grand innovative venture, they did it because they realized that their corner of the industry as "the throwaway kid machine" had been completely usurped by smartphones and tablets and they were hoping to cash in on that, but it failed miserably.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'd say moving the map and the inventory system to the gamepad and leaving the game up above is an excellent use of the hardware and well worth the cost.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The question of how innovative it might be doesn't matter. Heck, it can't be innovative because Nintendo themselves already created that second screen innovation to begin with on the DS. It can't be new twice.

All that matters is whether it's good and useful for gameplay. And I know the same people are going to feel the same way about that, which is fine, as long as we're talking about what's actually important rather than a buzzword.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    In Wind Waker HD I usually assign the shooting items (grapple hook, bow and arrows, etc.) to the R button. That way I can press and hold R to ready the grapple, or nock an arrow, while being able to freely aim with the right stick at the same time.

This carried over from my item button assignment habits in the Gamecube version, I liked equipping shooting stuff to the Z button on the cube controller.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

90% of the time its relegated to being your map or your menu.

I'd say more often than that it's used to remote play, which in my opinion is most definitely worth the cost.

I love my Vita for remote play but it's not perfect, but the WiiU pad is. Being able to play a game just on the pad is massively valuable to me. I wish all consoles could do it natively and, to me, it's most definitely an innovation.

I was also quite critical of the WiiU being what I thought was underpowered, until I actually bought one. Mario 3D, Mario Kart, ZombiU, Wonderful 101? They all look great to me (ok, ZombiU a little janky) and I can't see how more powerful innards would help. I sincerely doubt it'd have done anything to help with 3rd Party support.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

90% of the time its relegated to being your map or your menu.

I'd say more often than that it's used to remote play.

But if you're using it for Remote Play then you're not using it for anything else. What I'm saying is, if you just play the game on a television, like you would a game on any other system, the GamePad itself offers nothing in terms of 'innovation' because it's just going to be a map or a menu, unless you want to use it specifically for off screen play.

Having it for off screen play is super convenient, and if it were sold separately from the Wii U system, I would have bought one just for that alone. But as a mandatory pack in, I don't think it's worth the cost that could have been put to better use elsewhere.

edited October 2014
    That's fine. Some think it's worth it, some do not.

I've learned that every opinion, even dumb ones such as my opinions, can be found out there. Often, the opinion most completely opposite yours is right next to you. And I'm cool with that.

Enlong on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'd say moving the map and the inventory system to the gamepad and leaving the game up above is an excellent use of the hardware and well worth the cost.

I hate it. I hate looking down at that damn screen and having to hold the wand in my finger while I play since pads don't seem to recognize my dang fingers. I don't like the controller at all.

The stylus? Your finger is fine. Just use some pressure. It's not like your phone where it needs a current going completed by your fingers. It's just pressure. And if you don't like looking down at the controller move the controller (seriously, lift it a bit!).

Anyway, innovation? Pikmin 3. Remote and nunchuck on the TV with the pad to do resource management and have a map overview. The only other place you can do anything similar is on a PC with two monitors.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    The stylus? Your finger is fine. Just use some pressure. It's not like your phone where it needs a current going completed by your fingers. It's just pressure. And if you don't like looking down at the controller move the controller (seriously, lift it a bit!).

Yeah, thanks. I've tried everything. It doesn't work for me.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I love Pikmin 3 but I actually hate the use of the Gamepad as a communication tablet in the game. If I'm playing with the Wiimote & Nunchuck please don't expect me to multitask between the TV and tablet.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I hate it. I hate looking down at that damn screen and having to hold the wand in my finger while I play since pads don't seem to recognize my dang fingers. I don't like the controller at all.

Yeah I didn't really like it for the music stuff (but once you get the notes down you really didn't need to look down at it). I loved it for the map and the inventory screen. I hate having to pause and go through menus to switch my weapons. I hate it. :)

Mblackwell wrote: »

Anyway, innovation? Pikmin 3. Remote and nunchuck on the TV with the pad to do resource management and have a map overview. The only other place you can do anything similar is on a PC with two monitors.

Except you can't ever really use the second monitor for gaming for anything useful.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    On WW and the Gamepad:

1. The Gyro controls were something I was prepared to hate, but found that using them for making minute aiming adjustments after using the stick for large motions was amazingly quick and accurate.
    2. Doing the menu on the second screen is fine... unless you're in the middle of something dangerous. At which point I'm probably going to pause anyway, and if I need to pause to switch items, then there's no real benefit to putting them on the second screen.