As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Woof. Welcome to HD Nintendo eh? D:

Guessing modding a bigger hard drive is out of the question?

Why mod when you can just connect a 2TB drive via USB?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's cool that external is an option, but without an option for upgrading the internal, I'm pretty much going disc-only with Wii U (retail) games.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Personally I don't really see much difference. What are the downsides?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Only downside I can personally see is that an external drive takes more physical space, plus it uses up USB ports and usually needs it's own power source.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Though I wonder if you'd see much of a performance increase using an SSD instead of HDD.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I just really hate any unnecessary clutter on my TV stand. It's that combined with Nintendo's lack of account system. I only buy from the Wii U eShop if it's not available at retail or on any other platform.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    I buy digital a lot. However, I need all my USB ports to be able to connect 8 GC controllers for Smash, so physical for Smash. Which sucks since it's the perfect kind of game for having digital since I'll play it so often.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    My TV stand is horrendous, I think an extra drive would probably just get lost amongst the clutter. Do they have to be powered or does the Wii-u have enough oomph to power a 2.5"?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    My TV stand is horrendous, I think an extra drive would probably just get lost amongst the clutter. Do they have to be powered or does the Wii-u have enough oomph to power a 2.5"?

They recommend using externally powered drives, but people have used them successfully.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    NFC and RFID are only related in that both use radios. RFID is basically a chip that broadcasts a number when it gets powered by a query. NFC is a full on communications protocol being run.

No, there's something called active RFID which is writeable. It's been around for a while, at least 10 years. And it's still cheap.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I've got 7 GB of space taken up by what I can only assume is updates and saved settings.

When I moved everything to my external to make room for Bayonetta 2 I only showed 25/32 for available space.

I can't imagine someone buying a 8 GB model without already getting an external hard drive ready for it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeh, I've been dissuaded. It's not a big deal, but most of my consoles are black and the white Wii stands out, woulda been nice to keep the trend. Ah well.

Still, gonna hold off and see if any retailers throw together a Smash bundle.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I was glad that I got a black Wii U because it matched all the other systems I have on my TV stand and it looked super friggen classy but then I got a chance to get the ice blue N64 for dirt cheap.

I can not not display my favorite color.

And I'm too lazy to quote on my tablet, but thanks for telling me about the Amazon money thing. I was led to believe that they weren't unique in the practice.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Only downside I can personally see is that an external drive takes more physical space, plus it uses up USB ports and usually needs it's own power source.

The power source thing is the issue for me, primarily. I don't have room on my power strip for a Wii U alone right now, much less a Wii U and an external drive to make up for the fact that Nintendo won't throw in something bigger.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Bayonetta Bloody Fate is on Funimation right now is this going to spoil the first game for me?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Bayonetta Bloody Fate is on Funimation right now is this going to spoil the first game for me?

It's an adaptation of the first game. There are some changes but it's still the same plot - so yes.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

The power source thing is the issue for me, primarily. I don't have room on my power strip for a Wii U alone right now, much less a Wii U and an external drive to make up for the fact that Nintendo won't throw in something bigger.

It's a small NAND Flash, not really a drive at all. Throwing in "something bigger" would mean more power draw and more heat generated. It would also bring up the costs by more than people would be willing to pay (people are barely willing to pay as it is).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So B2G1 on all games at Target the week of November 9th.

Time to start doing my research I guess.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    I just peeked at the Wii U eShop for the first time in a while.

...I really hate that they list 3DS software up there. It just makes things needlessly cluttered.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    God dammit, why the hell does Costume Quest 2 not have Off-TV play?

Edit: Huh, guess it's coming later in a patch...

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Huh. I had no idea that game was going to be Yoshi's Island with a different aesthetic. I thought it was going to be like the Kirby yarn game, which I wasn't crazy about, since they didn't let Kirby use his signature gameplay mechanic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I've been waiting nearly 20 years for a proper Yoshi's Island sequel.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I guess that's the week I get DKC2, Hyrule Warriors and...something else. I shall have to research said "something else", however.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Huh. I had no idea that game was going to be Yoshi's Island with a different aesthetic. I thought it was going to be like the Kirby yarn game, which I wasn't crazy about, since they didn't let Kirby use his signature gameplay mechanic.
    You mean inhaling things and shooting them at other things? That's...that's in Kirby's Yarn, albeit he grabs them with yarn instead of inhaling.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, we should consider a new thread title to remind people that the deluxe promotion is ending in like two months. Buy what you can, and make sure you use those codes to redeem your store credit, because there's no guarantee that the codes will still work after the promotion ends.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Also, we should consider a new thread title to remind people that the deluxe promotion is ending in like two months. Buy what you can, and make sure you use those codes to redeem your store credit, because there's no guarantee that the codes will still work after the promotion ends.

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/
    [NOTE] The deadline for earning points in the Deluxe Digital Promotion is December 31, 2014. Only eligible purchases or eligible download codes used in Nintendo eShop for Wii U before December 31, 2014 will qualify for this promotion. The deadline to exchange your points for an activation code is March 31, 2015.

・After the expiration date, please note that Points and unretrieved activation codes will have no value and will be deleted.
    Codes for Nintendo eShop credit must be redeemed by the end of June 2015.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably nab like $100 in eShop credit within the next two months and go on a bit of a shopping spree.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I guess that's the week I get DKC2, Hyrule Warriors and...something else. I shall have to research said "something else", however.

Lego City Undercover.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

I actually never liked Yoshi's Island despite being a massive Mario AND platforming fan.

I know, I know, I'm a monster. I should give it another shot, is it available on whatever passes as the VC for Wii U (I'll be honest, I've never explored the shop on the WiiU, I'm too busy with the games).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Ironically, what I like the least about Yoshi's Wooly World is the aesthetic. It looks superbly done and amazingly animated, but I much preferred the looks of Yoshi's Island (DS) or Yoshi's Story. Besides, it feels like they only did this because Kirby's Epic Yarn did well.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I'm super psyched for Wooly World.

A Yoshi's Island style game with no crying baby and Epic Yarn style aesthetic? Sign me up.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I actually never liked Yoshi's Island despite being a massive Mario AND platforming fan.

I know, I know, I'm a monster. I should give it another shot, is it available on whatever passes as the VC for Wii U (I'll be honest, I've never explored the shop on the WiiU, I'm too busy with the games).

Nah you're fine, Yoshi's Island isn't very entertaining. It's a collectathon like Donkey Kong 64 or something, only in 2D. It's not about beating the levels like Mario is, it's about scouring every level for red coins and stars and flowers and such. I never feel any motivation to do so and it feels very rote, "going through the motions" if you just try to beat the game without collecting everything.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    You mean inhaling things and shooting them at other things? That's...that's in Kirby's Yarn, albeit he grabs them with yarn instead of inhaling.

He can't inhale them and copy their abilities in Epic Yarn, which he's been able to do for almost all of his standard appearances.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Go for a Y connector then. Uses up an extra USB port but no need for a power supply then. Some drives can work off of one even, but it's a short list.

• Options
    I just wish I could find an externally powered 2.5" drive. I don't want to deal with a USB Y-Connector but I want the smaller sized drive/case.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Odd timing on this one, since were just discussing the Basic model Wii U yesterday:

Wii U Basic Set Skylanders Swap Force Bundle, Mario Kart 8, and Wii U Pro Controller for $299.99

Considering the Pro Controller retails for $50 and Mario Kart retails for $60, that's the Basic Wii U unit (with Skylanders) for $189.99.

Assuming you care about Skylanders, that's not a terribly bad deal, especially if you've got a spare external HDD around to connect to it.

Edit: If any retailers ever drop the Skylanders bundle to $199.99 by itself I may grab one now that you can do system transfers between consoles. I always preferred the look of the white Gamepad & Console.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    (that was me! but I'm in the UK, no good)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering, yes, Demon's Crest is just as good as it used to be!

In case you never played Demon's Crest, I highly recommend you remedy that. It is easily one of the best games on the SNES. Great visuals, gameplay and oh god is the music fantastic.

Gargoyles Quest 1 & 2 aren't required to enjoy it, but they are also really fun games (but much more difficult), and are also available on their respective VC's (GQ1 on 3DS and GQ2 on WiiU).

Not really related, it's nice to have all the GBA Castlevania games on the VC. I wonder if they intend on ever doing DS games on the 3DS or WiiU VC. Both systems would be perfectly suited for them. I know you can still play DS games on the 3DS but still...

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    [

He can't inhale them and copy their abilities in Epic Yarn, which he's been able to do for almost all of his standard appearances.

Not really. In fact thanks to his various spin offs Kirby using his power theft is actually less common

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.