As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread bleh, use new thread.

DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi KisaragiRegistered User regular
edited September 2014 in MMO Extravaganza
2.3 Endgame Progression chart (warning, it's huge)
http://i.imgur.com/OVDvNpp.png
Current Events
2.3 Content Patch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBu4dpZJBo

For those who don't know, Final Fantasy XIV originally released in September 2010 and was.... well it was basically a train wreck.

Despite stunning visuals and an interesting story the game itself was lacking mechanically. The UI was broken and sluggish, the combat was unresponsive and stiff, the world was bland and sparse, and the quests outside of the story were forgettable and dull. They tried for awhile to stem the bleeding by putting out some content patches and trying to fix a lot of the issues, but the game was on it's death rattle and had barely even begun.

However, instead of just cutting their losses and leaving the game to hobble on and eventually die, Square-Enix decided to take a different approach unheard of in the MMO industry...

They hired this guy.
oHYofWc.jpg
Mr. Naoki Yoshida (Known as Yoshi-P) took over the project and it was decided that instead of trying to fix the current game. They would just make a new one.

This one.

And it's a damned good thing they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

WARNING some Story Spoilers in the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MI_iEOm4Jw
WARNING some Story Spoilers in the above video.

The game has since won many MMO of the year awards on many sites and is generally considered by many to be one of the best MMOs out there. With constant Quality of Life updates, and HUGE content patches every 3 months in addition to a scheduled Expansion in the next year which is said to have as much content as the release of the game, it's clear to see Sqaure-Enix has listened to the fans, and made something truly special that will capture and hold the hearts of millions for years to come.

Below are the past Content Patch trailers to give a taste of the sort of updates that happen on a regular basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aliYN8hNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zueQqbWhZeo

So now we have a game with Stunning visuals, combat that is fun and engaging, a world that is full of life and secrets to be found, quests that are plentiful in number and each with it's own interesting little story to be told, Endgame raiding that is challenging and rewarding, Crafting that is full of depth and overall one of the best MMOs ever made.

Oh and Chocobos that actually fight along side you, Magitech mounts (as well as a myriad of other creatures), Fun PvP (Frontlines), Fishing, Treasure Hunts, Chocobo Raising, Guild housing, Hunts, Minigames, Minion collecting, Gardening, Personal Rooms, and generally everything that we wanted originally in the first game or in an MMO period.
The game is available for PC (Steam and Non-Steam) PS3, and PS4!
And yes all the platforms can play with each other regardless of platform or region.
Also this:

JP20130813_1.jpgJP20130813_2.jpg

Come on, who doesn't want some snazzy Chocobos with hats?
Oh and Rogue/Ninja is coming in patch 2.4 (Probably sometime near September)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHye3NcO2hU

NNID: delphinidaes
Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
delphinidaes.png
Delphinidaes on

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    PA Community Info

Server:
    Sargatanas (Legacy) NA (Aether datacenter)

All PS3/PS4 and PC players play on the exact same servers with each other. There are Japanese servers (located in Japan) and Western Servers (located in Montreal)

Get the current Server Status from www.arrstatus.com

Free Company (Guild)
    Official Penny Arcade Forum FC:
    Ghost in the Linkshell <GHOST> (gitl.enjin.com)

You can be invited to the FC via the following methods:
    • Send a /tell message to the following people:
      -Sionnach Rua
      -Delphi Kisaragi
      -Alethia Tamarie
      -Ivence Antignome
    • Ask anyone with the <GHOST> tag to invite you as all members have invite privileges
    • "Examine" any <GHOST> member and click on the FC Name "Ghost in the Linkshell" then submit an application with "PA" in it somewhere.

Voice Chat
    Ventrillo info:
    Server: gitl.typefrag.com:5475
    Password: (Ask in Free Company for now)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited September 2014
    Useful Info

How to Set Up Good Targeting Filters
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1knlxo/demystifying_targeting_and_filters_a_keyboard_and/

Ishtaar's super helpful beginner's guide to Crafting in FFXIV!
    Eee it depends on what you want to do in the end. If you want to be a master crafter (2/3 star stuff), you do sortof need everything at 50, here's what a basic 3 star crafting rotation looks like. That's what I was going for, and because I'm a batshit crazy completionist I just leveled all of them simultaneously, 5 levels at a time.

So if you're a normal person, you probably don't want to do that. ;) So here's what you want to do:

Get Culinary, Alchemy, Weaver, Carpenter, and Leatherworking to 15. (Really just get everything to 15, it's relatively quick if you just make one of everything in your crafting log and do the quests, a couple levels late if you need to) But those 5 at least.

So once you've leveled everything to 15, here's where things get fun: Your very basic low level HQ strategy! I say strategy rather than rotation since it's more important to know why you're mashing buttons rather than memorizing an order.

Start out with Inner Quiet. Inner Quiet is a stacking buff that increases your control (the HQ stat) every time you successfully increase an items quality. Once you get this stacked like 3, 4, 8 times, your "touch" abilities will increase the quality more and more and more.

So we need to increase quality, but we're throttled by CP. Here's when Culinary comes in. Hasty Touch costs nothing, but it's only a 50% success rate. Steady Hand (and later Steady Hand II fro 37 CUL) increases the success rate by 20% (and 30%) so it'll still fail, but not as often. You'll use Steady Hand I or II and Hasty Touch to stack Inner Quiet and get your quality up, this is actually still true in 3 star crafting and where the RNG comes from. Also, the item's current condition affects the amount of the quality bar is increased per touch, if excellent ALWAYS use a touch skill if it wont break your craft. Also, try to use Basic Touch on Excellents if your CP allows it, since the success rate is higher.

OK so now we have to worry about durability. Master's Mend I & II are just a flat increase and what you'll use most of the time, but (advanced stuff!) Waste Not (15 CRP) and Manipulation (15 GSM) can add some different strategies, for 40 dura stuff especially. We'll get to using those for quality increases another time, it's rough to have the CP at low level. Waste Not will be important below...

You'll notice you're burning through CP rather quickly and that's where our 15 ALC skill, Tricks of the Trade, comes into play. Using a "touch" skill when the synth quality is good makes the quality increase more, but having an extra swing with 7 stacks of Inner Quiet is even better. Pretty much every "good" quality, use a Tricks of the Trade to get CP back.

Ultimately, you'll want CRP 50 for Byregot's Blessing which gives you a boatload of quality and is how we HQ 2/3 star stuff, but that's a long term goal. For now, we'll use the 15 CRP skill Rumination, which kills your Inner Quiet stack but gives you a pile of CP back. Once your quality is at 100% or as high as you can get it, use Rumination so you have some CP back to either Master's Mend or Waste Not. (depending on your current durability and how much your Synthesis swings do)

And last, the reason we leveled WVR, Careful Synthesis. There's noting more infuriating than getting to 100% quality and then having that last progress swing fail and having your item smash. Careful Synth is 100%.

Quick summary:
    Start with Inner Quiet
    Tricks of the Trade whenever the condition is good
    Use Steady Hand/Hasty Touch to increase quality and stack Inner Quiet
    Master's Mend to restore Durability
    Once you've increased quality as much as you can, Rumination to restore CP, Master's Mend/Waste Not, Careful Synth to finish off progress.

From there, the most important skills to get are Steady Hand II (37 CUL) and Careful Synth II (50 WVR), which just kind of improve the above strategy. Then later, go for Byregot's Blessing (50 CRP) which changes all of this entirely!

Complete Crafting guide!

What level do I unlock ___________?

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Accuracy Caps for Binding Coil of Bahamut Turns 1-9

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

Races:
    (Warning lots of lore within, just not your Race selection doesn't matter like it did in FFXI, there are minor stat differences and at worst you are looking at a 6 point difference in any particular stat, but when you are dealing with stats in the 500's it doesn't matter much. So just pick what you think is cool, besides you can always change later with a Phial of Fantasia purchased for real money)

All the races from FFXI are back with new names and the addition of a couple new genders! All info is from the official FFXIV: ARR website.
    Hyur:
    bw4YPnO.png
    Over the course of some one thousand years and three great migratory waves, the Hyur have come to be the most populous of the civilized races in Eorzea. Compared to the others, theirs is an average physique, both in terms of height and build. The Hyur champion personal freedom and liberty, and their espousal of an eclectic variety of languages and traditions is a legacy of their diverse heritage―as is their resulting lack of a unified cultural identity.

The Hyur are divided into the Midlanders and the Highlanders.

Hyur Naming Conventions
    Miqo'te:
    Irvdaqh.png
    Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails. The ancestors of this line first made their way to the realm during the Age of Endless Frost in the Fifth Umbral Era, traversing frozen seas in pursuit of the wildlife upon which they subsisted. Instinctual territoriality causes many among them to lead solitary lifestyles. Males in particular are said to shy from contact with others.

They are divided into the Seekers of the Sun, and the Keepers of the Moon.

Miqo'te Naming Conventions
    Elezen:
    r6NSyXE.png
    The Elezen are a characteristically tall people, long of limb and slender of build. They are also possessed of a somewhat extended lifespan in comparison to the Hyur. The Elezen once claimed sole dominion over Eorzea, their presence predating that of the other races, and, as such, developed a heightened sense of honor and pride. In years past, the Hyur migration into Elezen lands sparked bitter conflict. At present, however, the mutual understanding reached between the two races allows them to work towards mutual peace and prosperity.

The Elezen are divided into the Wildwood, and the Duskwight.

Elezen Naming Conventions
    Roegadyn:
    RA4zB3L.png
    The Roegadyn are easily identified by their massive, muscular frames. They are descended from a maritime people that roamed the northern seas, though many of their ancestors turned their longships south to brave the crossing into Eorzean waters. Often considered a barbaric race, the fiercely competitive Roegadyn are also known for their compassion and unswerving loyalty. Many of the greatest warriors in history were born of Roegadyn stock.

The Roegadyn are divided into the Sea Wolves, and the Hellsguard.

Roegadyn Naming Conventions
    Lalafell:
    C65FkC7.png
    The Lalafell are a folk both rotund and diminutive. Small by any race's standards and possessed of a childlike countenance, it proves difficult for non-Lalafell to gauge an individual's age with any degree of accuracy. Originally an agricultural people inhabiting the fertile islands of the south seas, they found their way to Eorzea via the burgeoning trade routes. Lalafell are welcoming of outsiders, and share prosperous relations with all of the other races of Eorzea.

The Lalafell are divided into the Plainsfolk and the Dunesfolk.

Lalafell Naming conventions

Classes: (Letter in parenthesis designates the city in which each Class has it's guild. Cities are Gridania (G), Limsa Lominsa (L), and Ul'dah (U)

*Note: Only the Disciples of War/Magic are available as a starting class. The Disciples of Hand/Land can be switched to once you unlock the ability to change class around lvl 10.

Jobs
    The Jobs and their Class requirements:
    • Bard = 30 Archer / 15 Pugilist
    • Summoner = 30 Arcanist / 15 Thaumaturge
    • Scholar = 30 Arcanist / 15 Conjurer
    • Dragoon = 30 Lancer / 15 Marauder
    • Black Mage = 30 Thaumaturge / 15 Archer
    • White Mage = 30 Conjurer / 15 Arcanist
    • Monk = 30 Pugilist / 15 Lancer
    • Warrior = 30 Marauder / 15 Gladiator
    • Paladin = 30 Gladiator / 15 Conjurer

Nitty Gritty on the Class/Job system:
    In FFXIV: ARR your character is able to access any and all classes and jobs that exist within the game. Unlike most other MMOs where you choose a single class at the start and are stuck with that Class throughout the game, FFXIV: ARR allows you to change your Class at will once you unlock the ability to do so by taking your starting Class to level 10 and completing the appropriate quest.

Each Class in FFXIV: ARR is leveled separately and retains any and all XP you gain on that Class when you switch. This means if you start as a Marauder and take it to level 15 and switch to Conjurer, your Marauder Class remains level 15 and you are now a level 1 Conjurer. If you play your Conjurer for awhile get to level 4 or so and decide to switch back to Marauder you are now a lvl 15 Marauder again and your Conjurer remains at level 4.

To switch your class (after completing the unlock quest) you simply seek out the desired Class Guild and speak to the Guild Receptionist who will give you a quest to speak to the Guildmaster. Upon speaking to the Guildmaster you will receive a weapon/tool appropriate to the desired Class and by equipping that weapon/toll you will transform into that Class.

The nice thing about having the ability to change your Class is that you are able to unlock abilities on each Class that you can then carry over to other Classes. Want a Lancer that can Cure? How about an Archer with Second Wind? Maybe a nice Parry buff on your Gladiator? All of this is possible by leveling up the appropriate Class that has the ability you want and then switch to the Class you want to use it on and set the ability you want from the Skills menu.

Jobs are a bit different as they are extensions of certain Classes. Once you reach the requisite level of the appropriate Classes (usually around lvl 30) you can unlock the Job associated with that Class or Classes. A Job is a more specialized version of the Class or Classes that it is associated with. A Conjurer for example can become a White Mage, and a Pugilist can become a Monk. Each Job has it's own requirements that must be met before you can unlock it.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    So Tam Tara HM, final boss...should everyone be dpsing the adds? The df group I was in was getting its ass kicked, though we won. I was dpsing as fast as I could on my bard, but I couldn't get them all.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    Grove wrote: »
    So Tam Tara HM, final boss...should everyone be dpsing the adds? The df group I was in was getting its ass kicked, though we won. I was dpsing as fast as I could on my bard, but I couldn't get them all.

Yeah even when I tank it I help burn down adds near me. Each one that gets to the center adds to the damage she'll do when she finishes the cast. Ideally you don't want any but my group was able to survive 2 or 3 getting in there (we accidentally locked out our bard @joomanji and had to three man it)

delphinidaes.png
    Cool, that's what I told them to do, but the tank and mage wouldn't help. Then the monk died and it was just left to me. I was trying to go crazy with aoes, but they were too spread out. We didn't wipe and survived 2 or 3 as well, but I think I had less than 100 hp left and the monk kept wiping because of sickness.

Eventually got the monk up to lb just in time, but it was close.

For the most part, I really enjoy the new dungeons and bosses. Cool little mechanics here and there that seem to be training people for recognition in the coils later.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Do the chocobo costumes have stats on em or are they just for pretty dress up?

Also is there a way to reset chocobo points?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited July 2014
    Riokenn wrote: »

Just for pretty dressup, you reset points using a Rioken Pepper(?) which costs either 48,000 Grand company seals or a much smaller amount of allied seals.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Tam-Tara Hard Mode is utterly amazing.

Do your best not to spoil it for yourself until you've experienced it. That includes the spoiler below.

35992ui.png

V8TAWct.png

2pfwxgn.png

Please let there be a sequel.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tam-Tara HM is the NICE BOAT of instances.

Also, I just realized I have 3 months to master Ramuh EX for FanFest. Hoo boy.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Monday July 21st at 4:00am PDT will be Producer's Live Letter XVI

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/5f0a8ee08c3a787c79011ef6f32c968b06c728df
    The date has been set for the sixteenth installment of the Letter from the Producer LIVE! Streaming live from Sendai, Japan, Producer & Director Yoshi-P will answer questions from players across the globe. Don't miss this chance to get the latest information to come out of Eorzea!
    Date & Time
    Monday, July 21, 2014 at 4:00 a.m. (PDT)

Themes
    FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Q&A
    Yoshi-P will answer questions taken from the official forum.

Lead Planner Nobuaki Komoto will also make an appearance to field questions related to game design, seasonal events, the Eorzean economy, and more.

URL
    YouTube Live
    Niconico Live
    Twitch

* Please note that the audio will be available in Japanese only.
    * For viewing on smartphones, iOS 5 or later is recommended.
    * The URL will be posted in the near future.

How to Submit Questions
    Prior to the live stream, questions will be accepted in the designated thread on the official forum. It is also possible to ask questions during the live stream. To do so, please follow the official FFXIV Twitter account (@FF_XIV_EN) and send tweets containing the "XIVLive" hash tag.

Official Forum Questions Thread:http://sqex.to/qke
    Official FFXIV Twitter Feed:https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN

Themes
    Exploring patch 2.3
    The future of FFXIV: ARR
    Questions for Lead Planner Nobuaki Komoto

Questions will be forwarded to Naoki Yoshida who will attempt to field as many questions as possible, to the best of his ability.
    Those of you who are unable to view the live broadcast, never fear! All the questions and answers will be posted on the official forums in real time, with a summary of topics discussed made available shortly thereafter.

delphinidaes.png

Do your best not to spoil it for yourself until you've experienced it. That includes the spoiler below.

35992ui.png

V8TAWct.png

2pfwxgn.png

For those who want the whole story, someone was really taken with it and put together a rather lovely summary of the full story of Tam Tara from the first dungeon the to the Hard mode and all the stuff that happened.

Obviously the entire thing is one giant spoiler so don't read it unless you have either finished the dungeons or don't mind being spoiled

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2a9wji/tamtara_lore_welcome_to_creepsville_spoilers_all/

It's a shining example of how Square-Enix has taken a seemingly minor side story and really made it shine as a wonderfully creepy tale that we hopefully have not seen the end of!

delphinidaes.png
  • Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone's ever mentioned this, but the localization on this game is fantastic. Lots of Blizzard-style references in quest names to lots of culturally relevant things on this side of the planet. King of the Hull (yep), Judgement Bolts and Lightning (very very frightening), etc. It really does make a difference. It just clicked for me with the new OP but I've been kind of saying it to myself every time I see a good quest name.

This game rules.

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15

It's a shining example of how Yoshi-P has taken a seemingly minor side story and really made it shine as a wonderfully creepy tale that we hopefully have not seen the end of!

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a fan of J-Horror.

Someone should ask him where he got the idea for it, I bet he would shoot off some famous names like Junji Ito.

It's a shining example of how Yoshi-P has taken a seemingly minor side story and really made it shine as a wonderfully creepy tale that we hopefully have not seen the end of!

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a fan of J-Horror.

Someone should ask him where he got the idea for it, I bet he would shoot off some famous names like Junji Ito.

As awesome as Yoshi-P is I think the credit for this should go to the writers. No doubt he had a hand in it to some degree since he is the Director but I don't know how involved he is in the story writing process itself. ;)

delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2014

35992ui.png

V8TAWct.png

2pfwxgn.png

For those who want the whole story, someone was really taken with it and put together a rather lovely summary of the full story of Tam Tara from the first dungeon the to the Hard mode and all the stuff that happened.

Obviously the entire thing is one giant spoiler so don't read it unless you have either finished the dungeons or don't mind being spoiled

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2a9wji/tamtara_lore_welcome_to_creepsville_spoilers_all/

It's a shining example of how Square-Enix has taken a seemingly minor side story and really made it shine as a wonderfully creepy tale that we hopefully have not seen the end of!

More spoilers:
    Going by that guide (which featured a few scenes I entirely forgot about), it confirms my suspicions that Edda's feelings for Avere were mostly/entirely one-sided, and he mistreated her along with the rest of the group.

The dungeon adds lines like "I knew she was weird, but no one listened to me", so she probably wasn't the most stable person to begin with. Nonetheless, the other party members routinely mistreated her, and frankly they all deserved what came to them.

I just cheered happily over the solemn expression they gave my character during the Duty Complete screen. It was precisely the extra touch needed to make the whole encounter a dark tragedy.

Just high marks all around. I really hope they focus on adding expanded stories like this for future dungeons, rather than just making them "here's a random area, go do stuff!" (those are perfectly fine too).

Professor Snugglesworth on
    Are you saying a dungeon in an MMO is going to make me have the feels?

This is something I need to experience asap.

edited July 2014

Yup the quest text in general in this game is something special. It's a shame so many players are conditioned to just skip reading any of it because quite honestly it's some of the coolest writing in an MMO I've seen and a lot of it is fun and pretty clever.

The hard mode dungeons are direct extensions of the stories told in the normal dungeons and they show you basically what happened to the place after you cleared it out the first time. Brayflox is a good example, you help a goblin originally clear out the jungle of dangerous creatures and a Dragon and when you go back in hard mode the goblins have taken the whole thing over and now you have to fight them.

Copperbell Mines is another good one, you quell a slave uprising in the original and in the Hardmode you fight the Father of the final boss in the first one who is trying to avenge the death of his son whom you killed. (Copperbell mines is kind of sad because you are defending slavery essentially :( )

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2014
    Stones Vigil's is cool too and I hope they expand the war with the dragons and maybe put it back into the main storyline a bit.

Grove on
    Side note, it looks like personal housing is currently tentatively scheduled for 2.38

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178722-Housing-system-Land-race?p=2251581#post2251581
    Greetings,

The development team has been keeping close tabs on the housing situation since the release of patch 2.3. They will be continuing to monitor this as they look into the addition of new housing wards.

They would like to look into the timing and the amount of wards to add very carefully as the amount of wards that can be added will be affected by the personal houses that are scheduled for implementation in patch 2.38.

Apologies to those of you who are set on purchasing land, but we’ll be sure to update you when we have more information.

delphinidaes.png
    Side note, it looks like personal housing is currently tentatively scheduled for 2.38

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178722-Housing-system-Land-race?p=2251581#post2251581
    Greetings,

The development team has been keeping close tabs on the housing situation since the release of patch 2.3. They will be continuing to monitor this as they look into the addition of new housing wards.

They would like to look into the timing and the amount of wards to add very carefully as the amount of wards that can be added will be affected by the personal houses that are scheduled for implementation in patch 2.38.

Apologies to those of you who are set on purchasing land, but we’ll be sure to update you when we have more information.

I wonder what the prices are. I'm holding off on a personal room so I can put that money towards a house.

Somehow I'm more responsible with fake video game than real money :P

Greetings,

I wonder what the prices are. I'm holding off on a personal room so I can put that money towards a house.

Word on the street is "Cheaper than a small house" Which eventually dropped down to about 2-3 million. But that was awhile ago so who knows. I've been steadily saving up for one though.

delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2014

Greetings,

Word on the street is "Cheaper than a small house" Which eventually dropped down to about 2-3 million. But that was awhile ago so who knows. I've been steadily saving up for one though.

Yeah I've got about 3 mil saved up. I sold a rush grass last night that would pay for my personal room if I wanted it, but it would also buy a lot of housing items too. I don't know. luckily there's so much to do right now, and it's been a busy week/weekend, that I can wait on the decision. Haven't even unlocked ct2 yet so once I catch up I'll make a decision.

I just don't want to waste 300k when housing items are all so expensive right now I wouldn't be able to decorate anyways.

edit:
    With how much housing items are selling for, I went ahead and got a 4th retainer. I needed the space anyways, but I think I made upwards of 400k alone yesterday on retainer finds.

Grove on
  • Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular

Just for pretty dressup, you reset points using a Rioken Pepper(?) which costs either 48,000 Grand company seals or a much smaller amount of allied seals.

It's called a Reagan Pepper, you commie.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
    edited July 2014

It's called a Reagan Pepper, you commie.

I put a question mark thingie because I was unsure! :'( , meanie!

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular

Yup the quest text in general in this game is something special. It's a shame so many players are conditioned to just skip reading any of it because quite honestly it's some of the coolest writing in an MMO I've seen and a lot of it is fun and pretty clever.

The hard mode dungeons are direct extensions of the stories told in the normal dungeons and they show you basically what happened to the place after you cleared it out the first time. Brayflox is a good example, you help a goblin originally clear out the jungle of dangerous creatures and a Dragon and when you go back in hard mode the goblins have taken the whole thing over and now you have to fight them.

Copperbell Mines is another good one, you quell a slave uprising in the original and in the Hardmode you fight the Father of the final boss in the first one who is trying to avenge the death of his son whom you killed. (Copperbell mines is kind of sad because you are defending slavery essentially :( )

I feel like I should clarify a bit, since anyone that hasn't done the dungeons yet probably gets the impression that we're terrible people in the game.

In Brayflox HM you're not fighting the goblins you originally helped. The goblin Brayflox stole something from the goblin Illuminati and so they marched in to kill everyone and get it back, and they're who we fight.

In Copperbell we're fighting gigas who were used as slave labor some 300 years ago and then sealed in the mine when it finally ran dry. Then a mining company tried to get more riches, but they dug too greedily/too deep etc. and freed the gigas. Then they started killing everything in sight. While it feels kinda skeevy to essentially be used as a corporate goon (why can't we let the gigas just stay in there and mine somewhere else?), the way I looked at it is the mining company isn't gonna just give up and they're gonna keep sending people in, so it's for those people's sake that I'm going in. Plus, the gigas are (understandably) very upset at being imprisoned for 300 years, and I doubt they'll be content to just hang out in the mines without getting to exact some vengeance.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Ran the three new dungeons last night.

Tam Tara was kind of bleh. Creepy atmosphere though, mainly thanks to the music.

Hullbreaker was enjoyable. The last boss was really fun, though very easy. Disappointed a bit though by how much the last boss is another "FU Monk" fight, but alas. Also there was a GORILLA!

Stone Vigil was also enjoyable. The second boss was pretty interesting, and gave us a bit of trouble until we actually started coordinating our stun attacks. Every time I think that this game can't really come up with another completely unique boss fight, I am humbled (though it is similar to the first half of CM's final boss I suppose).

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So let's say I might be interested in coming back for a bit.

The phone which had the one-time password thing on it kind of got uh, stolen and has long since been replaced. How might I go about getting access to my account back?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    A surprising amount of the quests you do kind of land in a weird morally grey area. Some are just down right mean.

In one quest a primitive tribe stole some food from a nearby farm (IIRC) and you, our stalwart hero, were tasked with the job of laying waste to the tribe in retribution.

One thing that blew my mind was the fact that they straight up execute anyone who has been influenced by the Primals (that's some 40K shit right there). At first I thought that plot point would become part of a greater quest in which you figure out how to "cure" those people, but no, everyone seems pretty satisfied with the status quo.

And don't get me started on the number of implied rapes I came across.

Eorzea is not a very ultra-good vs ultra-evil place like many MMOs. Most people fall somewhere inbetween.

Point of fact, I love the game for it.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Arthil wrote: »

The phone which had the one-time password thing on it kind of got uh, stolen and has long since been replaced. How might I go about getting access to my account back?

That will take a support ticket with SE I believe unfortunately :(

delphinidaes.png

That was painless :D Did it over the phone, already done.

Axen wrote: »
    A surprising amount of the quests you do kind of land in a weird morally grey area. Some are just down right mean.

In one quest a primitive tribe stole some food from a nearby farm (IIRC) and you, our stalwart hero, were tasked with the job of laying waste to the tribe in retribution.

One thing that blew my mind was the fact that they straight up execute anyone who has been influenced by the Primals (that's some 40K shit right there). At first I thought that plot point would become part of a greater quest in which you figure out how to "cure" those people, but no, everyone seems pretty satisfied with the status quo.

Eorzea is not a very ultra-good vs ultra-evil place like many MMOs. Most people fall somewhere inbetween.

It makes me very excited for the expansion, since they commented that the story would take quite a dark turn that is typically unseen in the FF series.

I hope the same goes for me when my security token's battery dies. ;_;

I hope the same goes for me when my security token's battery dies. ;_;

D-don't let the battery die?

I have to be subscribed to download the game ._. ... No way around that, huh?

I believe there is an upcoming free weekend for those who have accounts so you could wait for that. Aside from that I think you do need an active subscription to download/patch the game, which is kind of a bummer.

delphinidaes.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Even outside the drama-heavy stuff, I'm consistently and pleasantly surprised by the localization; lots of little touches that I appreciate. Like during one of the Hildibrand quests, you pick up this thing and turn it in right away. I imagine a lot of people don't even look at the description, but it's stuff like this that makes me want to stop and read more often.

And man, but everybody's going on about Tam-Tara Hard. I gotta see this thing for myself.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    Axen wrote: »

They've tried to cure tempered spoken, but nothing's worked. Furthermore, the prayers of the tempered empower the primals, so allowing them to live is a threat. Hence the summary execution.
    That said, not every tempered spoken needs to be killed. If the tempering drove the person insane (i. e. Loonah's mother), then they aren't able to pray effectively, and thus the policy is to place them somewhere they can be cared for.

I believe there is an upcoming free weekend for those who have accounts so you could wait for that. Aside from that I think you do need an active subscription to download/patch the game, which is kind of a bummer.

Any idea of when that will be?

Any idea of when that will be?

I want to say July 12th but i'm not 100% on that.

delphinidaes.png
    The point is that Eorzea is a land recovering from a major disaster (by the name of Bahamut, Lord of Dragonkind), and that has had...serious repercussions to the land.

I did like that they confirmed with the Hullbreaker Isle quest a bit of lore they heavily hinted at in 2.2:
    Namely that the Admiral's second is in fact (the most recent, as it turns out) Mistbeard. It also revealed that the Admiral has a dream for her beloved Limsa - to make it a stable and prosperous state that still upholds an ethos of freedom.

This discussion has been closed.